Thinkpad T430 - Mavericks 10.9.x - Yosemite 10.10

Uoc Nguyen

104 posts in this topic

Hi all

i've updated my T430s to Yosemite Final release in my "production" environment, in the link attached you can find updated kexts.

In the config plist i've added the TRIM patch and selected kext-dev-mode for properly Yosemite boot.

Before the update, i removed the EmuVariableUEFI and now use the native NVRAM of Lenovo (refer to Tluck post on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/?p=1952283

i've installed the kexts in my SLE folder after update directly from App Store application (without the creation of USB installer).

Use this sequence:

• Update Clover at latest release
  • Download Yosemite from app store
  • Backup modded kext from your SLE path (in case of rollback...)
  • backup your EFI/ESP folders
  • insert 10.10 folder from pack in your EFI/CLOVER/kexts folder
  • use config.plist in package or edit your, with kext dev enabled.
  • Restart to test the edits.

After reboot, launch Yosemite Installer, the computer ask you to reboot, now at Clover Boot:

1. Select Install Mac OS X from <Your Boot Partition Name>
  2. press O and use Clover graphics FakeID with 0x01660003 to enable the display and see the installation progress
  3. Boot with injected cache( press space at clover boot selector with your install macosx highlighted)
  4. After installation End repeat the steps 2 and 3 to boot.
  5. Your system start with slow graphics, don't care  it's normal
  6. Install the kexts from package with iKext Tools and restart system after 2 minutes ( open activity monitor  with all process view enabled and reboot only when kextcache process disappear, you system is ready)
  7. Your system is updated (probably  :P )

The pack contains:

• my DSDT and ssdt tables
  • my config.plist (without serial, MLB, ROM, SmUUID,CustomUUID)
  • uefi64 drivers (without EmuVariableUefi driver!)
  • 10.10 kexts folder contain:
    • ACPIBatteryManager, ACPIBacklight,GenericUSBXHCI, VoodooPS2Controller from Tluck post on T420 thread
    • AppleFrameBufferCapri and IOBluetoothFamily patched by me for my system.
    • AppleHDA, IOAudioFamily, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector from my existing 10.9 SLE folder
    • Latest FakeSMC

You can download the new pack from here: https://mega.co.nz/#!0oQFTCBD!mbC7sdM9OnVB4KzFFE8zHUrCOvXFrHW_Ppj_Vf2pxms

sorry for bad english.. :rolleyes:

have a nice day! :)

• Like 1

@RehabMan

I am using your ACPIBatteryManager.kext for my thinkpad t430 to correct the display brightness and it works well. but have an issue when i boot the laptop with lid closed and connect to external monitor. After logging into the desktop if i open up the laptop lid the laptop screen stays black . This doesn't happen if i boot the machine with the lid in open state. Then both the displays work well. 

So i deleted the ACPIBatteryManager.kext and the above issue is resolved but yes brightness fix is lost. Anyway we can correct this issue. 

@RehabMan

I am using your ACPIBatteryManager.kext for my thinkpad t430 to correct the display brightness and it works well. but have an issue when i boot the laptop with lid closed and connect to external monitor. After logging into the desktop if i open up the laptop lid the laptop screen stays black . This doesn't happen if i boot the machine with the lid in open state. Then both the displays work well. 

So i deleted the ACPIBatteryManager.kext and the above issue is resolved but yes brightness fix is lost. Anyway we can correct this issue.

Hmmm... weird that somehow brightness is affected by a kext for battery status!?

i have patched the AppleHDA.kext from Yosemite for ALC269 for my T430.

It is working a way better than the old Mavericks AppleHDA.kext.

Maybe someone wanna give it a try.

You need Layout-28 DSDT edit!

Details from codec dump:

Codec: Realtek ALC3202
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 1)
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0269
Subsystem Id: 0x17aa21f3

Revision Id: 0x100203 

//EDIT: Made some changes to the kext and uploaded new version.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I have mavericks and yosemite isntalled and all working except for the bluetooth devices. The magic mouse is jumping around when i loginto the desktop after a reboot. So i have to physically switch off the BT switch on and off to have it working normally again. If i shutdown and start the computer also i dont have this problem and all is fine. I have clover as the bootloader. Any help here would be helpful.

I have mavericks and yosemite isntalled and all working except for the bluetooth devices. The magic mouse is jumping around when i loginto the desktop after a reboot. So i have to physically switch off the BT switch on and off to have it working normally again. If i shutdown and start the computer also i dont have this problem and all is fine. I have clover as the bootloader. Any help here would be helpful.

who kext you use now?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... weird that somehow brightness is affected by a kext for battery status!?

@Rehab,

I used your latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext and kext works well but the option "acwake" doesn't get displayed when i issue the command "pmset -g disk". I intended to have my laptop wake up when the power source is changed. Sleep and wake currently works well. 

who kext you use now?

Hi, eilatuno, just as you suggested, i bought an express wifi card "WEC600N", but if i plugin it before i start my laptop, then the it will causes the Kernel Panic "Unable to find driver for this platform ACPI ...../IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1590 ."

but if i plugin it before the laptop already booted at the Clover, then everything works fine...

Have you ever met that? is there any Solution?

Thanks in advance

I have work to get some more native kext work well with Yosemite 10.10.1, here is quick update (I will add an update package soon)

1. I have Bluetooth working natively by create an additional node in Info.plist of built in Broadcom plugin inside IOBluetoothFamily.kext
  2. Patch AppleHDA on the fly for native AppeHDA. Working but funny thing appeared, the input and output device displayed in Russian, don't known why :D
  3. Intel Capri HD 4000 work well with QE/CI by using old patch method.
  4. NVIDIA still got problems: Thinkpad LCD screen not wake up (need to detect display in Display preference pane) but external Dell screen via mini Displayport work.

Playing with nvram is dangerous, without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, UEFI BIOS show error message: "Non-Volatile variable storage is about full"  and must to press F1 to go to BIOS setting then F10 to save and restart, then error message disappeared in that boot time but show again next time reboot / power up. Solution for it is restore EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and run this command to clear / reset nvram `nvram -c` then reboot. I think problem is come with CLOVER as error message only show when I put CLOVER on the top of boot device list.

Edited by Uoc Nguyen

Hi, eilatuno, just as you suggested, i bought an express wifi card "WEC600N", but if i plugin it before i start my laptop, then the it will causes the Kernel Panic "Unable to find driver for this platform ACPI ...../IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1590 ."

but if i plugin it before the laptop already booted at the Clover, then everything works fine...

Have you ever met that? is there any Solution?

Thanks in advance

Hi Demonbane

What platform are you using in smbios section of config plist?

What is the version of UEFI firmware ?

• Like 1

After playing with nvram then restored by clear nvram, restore BIOS to defaults I can not make NVIDIA work again. It show error message: unable to shadow vbios

I have solve it by change the NVCAP value but it still can not get any monitor wake up (Thinkpad LCD and external monitor via mini DisplayPort => HDMI => DVI as my Dell monitor have only 2 ports: DVI and VGA), look like problem with display-cfg. 

Anyway has a solution for this?

After playing with nvram then restored by clear nvram, restore BIOS to defaults I can not make NVIDIA work again. It show error message: unable to shadow vbios

I have solve it by change the NVCAP value but it still can not get any monitor wake up (Thinkpad LCD and external monitor via mini DisplayPort => HDMI => DVI as my Dell monitor have only 2 ports: DVI and VGA), look like problem with display-cfg.

Anyway has a solution for this?

have you tried to flash the UEFI bios? I don't know what version you run on T430, but on my T430s for example, had many problem with NVRAM with two version of firmware(2.57 and 2.58 doesn't retain in memory setted value and variable) now with 2.59 problems are solved.

T430 and T430s use the same firmware. You should run latest if you don't have a mod.

...mhh I don't really believe, firmware and the current version does not have the same level (maybe internally they are identical but for sure not the revision number).

You can check the following links T430s (http://goo.gl/cFE8ur) and T430 (http://goo.gl/TQQbBs)

You are right in that the bios id's are different. T430s is G1ETA1WW at 2.61 while T430 is G7ETA1WW at 2.61. But on closer inspection, you'll notice that they sometimes skip version numbers between releases. This indicates that they use the same base and merge in before a release build. For any number of reasons the T430s has fallen behind where previously they were even. Likely due to the T430 base being more popular among enterprise clients, so it gets more updates. The NVS that most of the T430s's ship with adds complexity to that system which may contribute to its falling behind. But you'll see a version skip eventually and the T430s should catch up or remain close behind. It has to, having all those versions would be a nightmare to have for each sub-variant. If ever the T430s falls too far behind, you'll see lenovo stop supporting it altogether.

I'm using latest BIOS version 2.66 and it is UEFI version yet a long time ago.

Problem with NVIDIA gone after change some BIOS settings. I have change back it to use Both UEFI & Legacy boot with UEFI first, it was UEFI only. It was problem with Optimus also. I'm using Windows 10.10, I was changed to Optimus and boot into Windows but it got problem with DisplayPort (Windows report that driver got problem and it can not load, I can't even open NVIDIA Settings in this time) . After I change Boot setting it was ok. I have changed back to Discrete graphic and boot into Yosemite and it work very nice with Thinkpad LCD wake up + External with no problem.

I'm using NVIDIA web driver 10.1.43 (343.01.02b02). Do you know where to get updated CUDA? as CUDA is reporting update is required.

Additional problem come with Audio which I'm using injection & patch on the fly by CLOVER. I have to clear and rebuild kextcache and it back. Oh a strange thing, look like Apple leave some Russian words inside AppleHDA, see screenshot :D

post-206862-0-41230000-1416291071_thumb.png

I updated post #1. You can find whole packages in download link.

I have a bad news, NVDA work well now except built in screen gone black and need detect display in display pref pane as before. Problem back after I updated OSX to latest 10.10.1 as system notify. May be need to switch between Windows several time to solve this problem :D

I updated post #1. You can find whole packages in download link.

I have a bad news, NVDA work well now except built in screen gone black and need detect display in display pref pane as before. Problem back after I updated OSX to latest 10.10.1 as system notify. May be need to switch between Windows several time to solve this problem :D

Hi Uoc
did you ever experience any issue with RTC clock? i've experienced two hard reset when i plug the ac adapter in standby mode, and after the hard reset the clock returns at 1/1/2001 , it never happened before the 10.10.1 update.
This is a very bad issue, i've spent two hours for recover my Data partition (an HFS+ partition...) after a new hard reset happened when i plug the AC adapter with laptop already booted.
The only difference between 10.10/10.10.1 are the use of clover patch (for Audio, HD4000,Bluetooth) and the edits of HDEF part in DSDT for using clover audio patch.
I never experienced an issue like that before...it's very frustrating
Edited by eilatuno

• 1 month later...

Hi Demonbane

What platform are you using in smbios section of config plist?

What is the version of UEFI firmware ?

Hi, eilatuno, sorry for the late reply.

I'm currently running 10.10.1, using platform MacBookPro 9.2

UEFI bios version is 2.66

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

NVIDIA can drive with patch dsdt , the key point is the NVCAP , you can try my dsdt in the Attach .rar file. Now my T430 is 10.10.5 HDMI\Sound\Brightness also ok.

I have work to get some more native kext work well with Yosemite 10.10.1, here is quick update (I will add an update package soon)

• I have Bluetooth working natively by create an additional node in Info.plist of built in Broadcom plugin inside IOBluetoothFamily.kext
  • Patch AppleHDA on the fly for native AppeHDA. Working but funny thing appeared, the input and output device displayed in Russian, don't known why :D
  • Intel Capri HD 4000 work well with QE/CI by using old patch method.
  • NVIDIA still got problems: Thinkpad LCD screen not wake up (need to detect display in Display preference pane) but external Dell screen via mini Displayport work.
Playing with nvram is dangerous, without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, UEFI BIOS show error message: "Non-Volatile variable storage is about full"  and must to press F1 to go to BIOS setting then F10 to save and restart, then error message disappeared in that boot time but show again next time reboot / power up. Solution for it is restore EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and run this command to clear / reset nvram `nvram -c` then reboot. I think problem is come with CLOVER as error message only show when I put CLOVER on the top of boot device list.

config.zip