Haswell early reboot, Mavericks, locked MSRs, and HP Envy 15-J063CL (i7-4700MQ)

RehabMan

469 posts in this topic

I was wondering since PMPatch doesn't work on Laptop Machines, if there was a way to actually unlock the MSR's on a notebook with some sort of patch. I am about to purchase an Asus Notebook for really cheap refurbished with a Haswell i5 Ultrabook CPU for $449. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231588

Since this is a great deal and I would love to take advantage of it, I have read also that there is a great chance that there are locked MSR's on this machine from some sources. This notebook for Hackintoshing has not been very popular.

In plan for the future OS Exe's and in terms of compatibility, I would love to Unlock my MSR's somehow with some sort of BIOS Patch that would work.

I don't wanna be stuck with a machine (Newegg's policy on refurbished machines is no return) that won't work with future OS Ex'es like Syrah or anything. I know I thinking way ahead right now but I was just wondering about any sort of way.

Things I have tried:

Calling Asus Support for some sort of BIOS Update/Patch (I've heard that some people have done this with Success)

Calling Asus Motherboards for Notebooks/Desktops (they knew nothing)

All those things I've tried before purchasing the notebook have not been successful, as calling the Asus support was not a great experience. It was as if I knew more than the representative, and unluckily, they don't keep record of any of the Motherboard components of any of their Notebooks and I believe Desktops.

I would also like to know if anyone has also had trouble finding info before buying a Haswell machine about getting info about the motherboard from the manufacturer.

The only option would be unlocking the BIOS.  Not always possible or easy.

But mach_kernel is easy to patch and is quite automatic with Clover+KernelPm.  So it really isn't a big deal.

Wakeup issue seems to be solved after reset bios and disable all unused bios options (such as Antitheft, Discrete Security Chip...).

But Power LED still continues blink after wake up.

My laptop has two LEDs. one is on Power button, another one is on Display housing.

How can I control status of Power LED?

You might check to be sure your _PTS/_WAK methods are executing to completion.  Perhaps it is one of the tasks taken care of by DSDT during _WAK.  You can use ACPIDebug to put traces into _WAK to be sure it executes from beginning to end.

I don't know if anyone has had an annoying experience with this before setting up a Lappy Hack

Annoying experience with what?

Thanks for the response RehabMan, the thing is that for future OS Ex'es a patch would take a while before it actually is able to be done unless the patch to the kernel like you said is easy. (not to sound overassuming)

I would just like some advice on what to do since this is a a great deal and would love to take advantage to it.

Since Clover patches the kernel by default with Kernel PowerManagement, would a future OS X be supported for something like that? I know this is a difficult question to ask because I'm pretty sure you very little about what's to come for the next OS X

And in regards to what I asked earlier, I'm pretty sure on desktop motherboards it's easier to recognize if the MSR's are locked by the bios, and plus PMPatch also works well on Desktops, but with Laptops I was wondering about any issues people have had in figuring out if MSR's are locked by default when you buy the machine at retail.

You might check to be sure your _PTS/_WAK methods are executing to completion.  Perhaps it is one of the tasks taken care of by DSDT during _WAK.  You can use ACPIDebug to put traces into _WAK to be sure it executes from beginning to end.

Thank you. I will try ACPIDebug.

EDIT: Solved

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/296437-solved-haswell-laptop-goes-to-sleep-but-cant-wakeup/?p=2014480

Thanks for the response RehabMan, the thing is that for future OS Ex'es a patch would take a while before it actually is able to be done unless the patch to the kernel like you said is easy. (not to sound overassuming)

I don't understand the question... if there is a question there...??

I would just like some advice on what to do since this is a a great deal and would love to take advantage to it.

Since Clover patches the kernel by default with Kernel PowerManagement, would a future OS X be supported for something like that? I know this is a difficult question to ask because I'm pretty sure you very little about what's to come for the next OS X

Crystal ball is cloudy at the moment. No way to predict the future.

And in regards to what I asked earlier, I'm pretty sure on desktop motherboards it's easier to recognize if the MSR's are locked by the bios, and plus PMPatch also works well on Desktops, but with Laptops I was wondering about any issues people have had in figuring out if MSR's are locked by default when you buy the machine at retail.

You quickly know that MSR 0xe2 is locked when your laptop reboots with unpatched mach_kernel.

I don't understand the question... if there is a question there...??

Crystal ball is cloudy at the moment. No way to predict the future.

You quickly know that MSR 0xe2 is locked when your laptop reboots with unpatched mach_kernel.

I know (that when a Haswell reboots instantly that MSR's are locked).

I guess I was not clear enough (that's my fault)

I was asking if there was a way to figure out if a computer or motherboard has locked MSR's somehow before actually purchasing the machine.

Edit : I am sorry if this is off topic, didn't really want to start a completely new thread

I know (that when a Haswell reboots instantly that MSR's are locked).

I guess I was not clear enough (that's my fault)

I was asking if there was a way to figure out if a computer or motherboard has locked MSR's somehow before actually purchasing the machine.

Edit : I am sorry if this is off topic, didn't really want to start a completely new thread

The only way would be to run a program that would display MSR 0xE2 for you. Then you could check (I think it is bit 15). Or see if you can boot a non-patched USB OSX installer and see what happens.

In the case of laptops, if anyone is fool enough to take your bet, you could make a lot of money betting that it is locked.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently updated DSDT patch repo for this laptop to enable:

- Fn+brightness keys to allow keyboard access to brightness controls
- HDMI audio provided by DSDT patches + AppleIntelFramebufferAzul patches in config.plist

See post #1 for github link.

Note: I do not have this laptop anymore, so someone will need to test recent changes.

would kernelpm in clover work with the latest 10.9.3 kernel or nope

KernelPm implements the same patch as I provide in post #1. If my patch works, Clover's KernelPm works... and vice-versa.

oh nevermind

I thought the 10.9.3 had a new different implementation of the patch

Nope... Same patch is working 10.9 -> 10.9.3. It is likely a future update will break the patch, but not this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can your dsdt patch be used on any Haswell laptop? My laptop also has a 4700mq but it is a Toshiba Satellite.

The kernel patch can be used on any computer that needs it (Haswell or Ivy using -xcpm).

The DSDT patch repo for the Envy is likely specific to the this particular Envy, although many of the patches are generic as if you look closely you'll see many of them come directly from my generic laptop DSDT patch repo.

The kernel patch can be used on any computer that needs it (Haswell or Ivy using -xcpm).

The DSDT patch repo for the Envy is likely specific to the this particular Envy, although many of the patches are generic as if you look closely you'll see many of them come directly from my generic laptop DSDT patch repo.

Thanks for the reply! I have gone ahead and started to patch my DSDT with your guide, but, when I compile my Vanilla DSDT, I get 22 errors and I have no idea what to do. I am very new to creating a hackintosh, especially on a laptop. Here is a link to my errors. http://imgur.com/9ptkW13

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply! I have gone ahead and started to patch my DSDT with your guide, but, when I compile my Vanilla DSDT, I get 22 errors and I have no idea what to do. I am very new to creating a hackintosh, especially on a laptop. Here is a link to my errors. http://imgur.com/9ptkW13

Help would be much appreciated.

I assume you have the *same* laptop?

It is normal to get errors on vanilla DSDT. Read the README.

If you don't have the same laptop, post all native DSDT/SSDT in another thread, probably here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/345-laptops/

I assume you have the *same* laptop?

It is normal to get errors on vanilla DSDT. Read the README.

If you don't have the same laptop, post all native DSDT/SSDT in another thread, probably here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/345-laptops/

Finally understood how to get to the patches. It seems as though none of the common error fixes are related to the errors I have. What can I do?

EDIT: Used DSDT Editor and managed to have it fix 18 errors. These are the 4 that are left. http://imgur.com/cZsDLqA

Finally understood how to get to the patches. It seems as though none of the common error fixes are related to the errors I have. What can I do?

EDIT: Used DSDT Editor and managed to have it fix 18 errors. These are the 4 that are left. http://imgur.com/cZsDLqA

You are probably disassembling them incorrectly. Post all native DSDT/SSDT extracted Linux. With modern computers, you really can't treat each file as an island. Files need to be disassembled as a group (with 'iasl -da *').

IMHO, using DSDT Editors "auto fix" is a bad idea.

well you seem to be the guru of haswell hackintoshs on the internet so I figured I'll turn to you. The rundown is I've got an Intel i7 4770k, z87 mpower motherboard, 16 GB corsair vengeance ram, 2x Samsung 840 pro 256gb ssd, 1x Samsung 840 pro 120gb, 4tb raid system, r9 280x and a 780ti I have yet to install. I had to use one of my old computers (first generation i7 920 gigabytes usb3 board) to get the 10.9.1 update because no kexts would work with my Ethernet(killer E2205) or wireless card(Asus ac68). After getting the mavericks installation app from I made my bootable USB drive with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] only to run into the instant reboot problem with haswell CPUs. Some searches on a few sites led me to patching bios which I am not a big fan of and don't really want to do, a few links later I come across this and I'm deciding to try it. I've already tried patching the kernel after pulling it from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] drive I had prepared and pulling it directly from the kext within the system install dmg. Both times I had no luck. I'd get to the bootloader, enter my boot flags(GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v ncpi=0x2000 or 3000 tried -x and -f) but I got the Apple logo flashing and instant reboot. So I searched for more forums and made my own USB installer with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext and replaced the vanilla version on my USB installer with the same result, tried both by using a bootloader(chimera asked chameleon) with no luck so I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] haswell to get into the environment to boot into the USB, same result instant reboot.

All of this was done with the integrated graphics with 64Mb allotted, all the bios settings were correct, only 4gb of ram left in the board, only my 120 GB ssd left connected. I have 10.6.8 running able to boot from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with no boot flags using integrated and GraphicsEnabler=No using discrete. Booting into verbose mode there's nothing out of the ordinary, no freeze or panic, just running normally and then reboot.

main questions: You mentioned quite a few files in your OP, I've only used the perl patch you supplied to patch the kernel and a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext with three or four different install methods all with the same instareboot, are any of the other files you mentioned necessary?

And if it is not to much to ask, aside from pretty much all the steps like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or patching the kernel or booting, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong or if I'm missing anything that a wizard like you can possible help me with?

well you seem to be the guru of haswell hackintoshs on the internet so I figured I'll turn to you. The rundown is I've got an Intel i7 4770k, z87 mpower motherboard, 16 GB corsair vengeance ram, 2x Samsung 840 pro 256gb ssd, 1x Samsung 840 pro 120gb, 4tb raid system, r9 280x and a 780ti I have yet to install. I had to use one of my old computers (first generation i7 920 gigabytes usb3 board) to get the 10.9.1 update because no kexts would work with my Ethernet(killer E2205) or wireless card(Asus ac68). After getting the mavericks installation app from I made my bootable USB drive with ##### only to run into the instant reboot problem with haswell CPUs. Some searches on a few sites led me to patching bios which I am not a big fan of and don't really want to do, a few links later I come across this and I'm deciding to try it. I've already tried patching the kernel after pulling it from the ##### drive I had prepared and pulling it directly from the kext within the system install dmg. Both times I had no luck. I'd get to the bootloader, enter my boot flags(GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v ncpi=0x2000 or 3000 tried -x and -f) but I got the Apple logo flashing and instant reboot. So I searched for more forums and made my own USB installer with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext and replaced the vanilla version on my USB installer with the same result, tried both by using a bootloader(chimera asked chameleon) with no luck so I used ##### haswell to get into the environment to boot into the USB, same result instant reboot.

All of this was done with the integrated graphics with 64Mb allotted, all the bios settings were correct, only 4gb of ram left in the board, only my 120 GB ssd left connected. I have 10.6.8 running able to boot from ##### with no boot flags using integrated and GraphicsEnabler=No using discrete. Booting into verbose mode there's nothing out of the ordinary, no freeze or panic, just running normally and then reboot.

main questions: You mentioned quite a few files in your OP, I've only used the perl patch you supplied to patch the kernel and a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext with three or four different install methods all with the same instareboot, are any of the other files you mentioned necessary?

And if it is not to much to ask, aside from pretty much all the steps like ##### or patching the kernel or booting, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong or if I'm missing anything that a wizard like you can possible help me with?

Did you verify your patch was successful by taking the patched kernel's md5 sum and comparing to post #1?

sorry for the late tell finals and work and the female really put a load on me, no I did not verify patch was successful I did however do it multiple times so I will assume at least for now that it was not successful, in that case what would my next option or step be to either getting it to be successful or working around it?

I just finished giving it a go again, I had a patched AICPM, the md5 sum was correct on the vanilla 9.3 kernel I had and the patched kernel, I created my own usb installer, still no luck instant reboot

With Haswell CPUs, there is no need to patch AICPUPM. Assuming you patched the kernel correctly (check your md5), you must have a different issue. A possibility is Local APIC panic which can also cause early reboot.