Mavericks Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio

toleda

470 posts in this topic

it reports that it's not supported, as quoted below.

Audio ID: 898 is not supported, continue (y/n)

That is the reason you have no audio.  Edit dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00. Save, install and restart.  Reply with edited dsdt and new IOReg.

• Like 1

Hi I have Asus X99A motherboard with recent Haswell-E cpu and this motherboard has Realtek ALC1150 (0x10EC0900 revision 1). When I run the shell script it successfully detects ALC1150 and install/patches kext which on next reboot is loaded and I can see audio controls now. But the problem is that I just have no sound on any of the output combinations. Curious is that the microphone shows UV meter when I talk. I do not know how to proceed with debugging or what might be wrong with no sound on the output - anyone is willing to help? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having some difficulty with the Clover patching method while trying to enable my Realtek ALC888b codec (integrated sound on my Gigabyte GAQ87TN motherboard).

I've successfully setup Clover to boot both Mavericks and Yosemite, however and my ethernet and WiFi adaptors are all working fine, no issues with sleep, speed step etc.

However, I've run your audio_realtekALC-90_v2.command (I've also tried the v100 version) and it seems to be installing correctly, but I still don't see the sound device appearing in System Preferences.

Here are the screenshots of what I see in DPCIManager:

post-1372563-0-76521500-1413559686_thumb.png

post-1372563-0-89502200-1413559705_thumb.png

And here's the kext patch section as seen in Clover Configurator:

post-1372563-0-70357000-1413559799_thumb.png

Finally, here's the output from the .command file from the last time I ran it (after cleaning up Clover and trying again fresh):

post-1372563-0-76140300-1413559880_thumb.png

[edit] I forgot that on this particular attempt I tried answering no to working ddst/ssdt HDMI audio, but I've tried answering yes and it didn't make any noticeable difference.

I'm not encountering any obvious errors, there just doesn't seem to be anything happening. If it helps though, I'm also unable to get sound to work over HDMI (it doesn't appear in System Preferences either, nothing does).

And everything was going so smoothly :)

Answered 887 Legacy with y, should be n.  See DPCIManager/Status/Codec ID/Revision/0x0302

HDMI audio is not native, see Mavericks AppleHDA HDMI Audio

Thanks! Okay, so answering n to legacy now gives me several audio devices in Output (built in speakers, two line outs and a digital out), however I don't seem to be able to get sound out of any of them. Audio MIDI Setup doesn't see it as 5.1 surround cable, but that's presumably just because I haven't connect the front panel sockets yet? However I'm not able to get plain stereo either, any ideas? I answered no to everything except the initial codec confirmation, and Clover was already configured to inject audio ID 1. Does it matter if my display is currently connected via HDMI? I don't have a long enough display port/DVI cable to connect my other screen just yet, as the machine's in a position handy for disassembly (since i have other components to install later).

I don't seem to be able to get sound out of any of them. Audio MIDI Setup doesn't see it as 5.1 surround cable,

See Post #1, Optional Installs and More Information for 5.1, audio device to audio jack mapping, etc.

• Like 1

Okay, that solves how to join the devices together into one, thanks!

But I still don't get any sound out of any of the channels, whether using the individual outputs or the aggregate one :(

I have sound working over HDMI which will do me for now, but I just can't get the Realtek onboard audio to make a sound.

I upgaded to 10.10 yesterday, and ran audio_cloverALC-100.command. Reboot and it worked!  Today i lost sound again :-(  Here are my details. 

When i re-run the script here is the output: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2987482/Script%20Output

1. OSX 10.10, Z87X-UD5H, F9, 4770k, 780

2. Method: cloverALC/Clover patched

3. IOReg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2987482/William%E2%80%99s%20Mac%20Pro%20(ioReg).ioreg

4. HDA Kext (S/L/E)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2987482/AppleHDA.kext.zip

Clover 10.10 Kexts https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2987482/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-19%20at%2010.42.34%20AM.png

5. N/A

6. Clover

1. Config: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2987482/config.plist

2. DebugLog: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2987482/debug.log

3. n/a

4. n/a

What happened?  A reboot?

PinConfigs are not correct.

Remove: EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/realtekALC.kext.zip

Remove config.plist/Devices/Audio/ResetHDA

Reply with new IOReg.

Sorry for the long delay.

I removed the zip file, got ride of the ResetHDA flag, and reran your new script.  

Sound is now working.

Thanks

Will

I am getting no audio after wake from sleep on a fresh install of Yosemite.  Tried everything I can think of and have had no luck.

System: Asus Z97-A w/ realtek 892 audio, using green jack on motherboard for output

Steps taken: Using Clover r2988.  Run audio_cloverALC-100-v1.0.1.command; detects 892 audio, Layout 1, no HDMI audio.  Installs correctly, reboot, sound works perfectly system-wide. Tested in iTunes, Safari running Youtube, Chrome running Youtube, system sounds, etc. 

Issue: When system sleeps, I wake from sleep and sound is gone. System pref still detects audio outputs, but no sound comes out.  Tested the same apps as before, no sound. Reboot restores working audio.

Attaching files.  I can't really see anything different in IOreg, and I have a very similar system running a Gigabyte board that works great.

Any ideas?

audiostuff.zip

Native AppleHDA.kext problem since 10.9.2.  Try Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander

Compiled CodecCommander from Dolnor's code, placed the kext in my Clover kext folder, restarted.  Sound works, put the computer to sleep and now sleep goes into some sort of "sleep reboot cycle"- it will take 10 seconds to go to sleep, the computer successfully goes to sleep. Between 1 and 2 seconds later, the computer wakes up, spins up the disks, sits for a bit, and then 10 seconds later goes back to sleep for another 1 to 2 seconds.  Hitting any key will fully wake the computer like normal.  Problem still exists, still no audio after wake from sleep.  

I am including my system log that shows this process.  It seems to successfully detect my hardware, initialize the codec, detect when the computer goes to sleep, detects when computer wakes from sleep, and reports that power has been restored to the codec.  From this, it seems like the kext should be working, but the problem remains. 

This is probably now a problem for Dolnor, but if you Toleda or anyone else has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: commander initializing

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: board make - ASUS

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: board model - Z97-A

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: version 2.2.1 starting

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1B is unreachable, start aborted

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: commander initializing

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: board make - ASUS

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: board model - Z97-A

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: version 2.2.1 starting

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  r: ICW stored get command 0x1f0004

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  r: ICB was set, sending verb over the link

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  r: codec responded: 0xffffffff

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: rw: IRV cleared, allowing new commands

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: start node 0xff, total 0x0

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> getting EAPD supported node list (limited to 5)

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: infinite workloop requested, will start now!

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> awake

Nov  4 19:54:33 localhost kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> workloop started

Nov  4 19:54:52 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc - power state transition from 0 to 2 recorded

Nov  4 19:54:52 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:54:55 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:54:58 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:55:02 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:55:11 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:56:50 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc - power state transition from 2 to 0 recorded

Nov  4 19:56:50 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec lost power

Nov  4 19:57:07 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> asleep

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> awake

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> resetting codec

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  w: ICW stored set command 0x17ff00

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  w: ICB was set, sending verb over the link

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  w: IRV was set by hardware

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: rw: IRV cleared, allowing new commands

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  w: ICW stored set command 0x17ff00

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  w: ICB was set, sending verb over the link

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  w: IRV was set by hardware

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: rw: IRV cleared, allowing new commands

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander:  w: ICW stored set command 0x170503

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:57:14 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> workloop started

Nov  4 19:57:20 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc - power state transition from 0 to 2 recorded

Nov  4 19:57:20 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:57:23 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Nov  4 19:57:26 Brads-iMac kernel[0]: CodecCommander: cc: --> hda codec power restored

Compiled CodecCommander from Dolnor's code, placed the kext in my Clover kext folder, restarted. Sound works, put the computer to sleep and now sleep goes into some sort of "sleep reboot cycle"- it will take 10 seconds to go to sleep, the computer successfully goes to sleep. Between 1 and 2 seconds later, the computer wakes up, spins up the disks, sits for a bit, and then 10 seconds later goes back to sleep for another 1 to 2 seconds. Hitting any key will fully wake the computer like normal. Problem still exists, still no audio after wake from sleep.

I am including my system log that shows this process. It seems to successfully detect my hardware, initialize the codec, detect when the computer goes to sleep, detects when computer wakes from sleep, and reports that power has been restored to the codec. From this, it seems like the kext should be working, but the problem remains.

This is probably now a problem for Dolnor, but if you Toleda or anyone else has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Did you edit the config file for your system before compiling that kext file? Cause your log says "1B is unreachable"

Did you edit the config file for your system before compiling that kext file? Cause your log says "1B is unreachable"

It actually repeats that line in the log file like 4-5 times before it appears to initialize, I just truncated it down for posting here.  Maybe it isn't initializing though.  I will attach a full log.

I followed the readme file as best as I understood it. The default in info.plist is this: 

<key>Default</key>
<dict>
<key>Check Infinitely</key>
<true/>
<key>Check Interval</key>
<integer>3000</integer>
<key>Codec Address Number</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>HDEF Device Location</key>
<string>1B</string>
<key>Send Delay</key>
<integer>300</integer>
</dict>

Ran 'ioreg | grep EngineOutput' which produces this: 

Brads-iMac:~ Brad$ ioreg | grep EngineOutput

| |   |             +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,2  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x10000043d, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 42>

| |   |             +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,3  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x100000449, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 41>

| |   |             +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,4  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x100000454, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 41>

| |   |             +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,5  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x10000045f, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 31>

From this I get my device location is 1B, and my code address number is 0, so I left the defaults in the info.plist.  Should I be doing something different? I am attaching my CodecCommander.kext if that helps. 

CodecCommander.kext.zip

CodecCommander log.rtf

As an update, I seem to have fixed the weird sleep reboot cycle issue, but I still get no audio after sleep.  I tried cliffom's AppleHDAreset tool, which did not work. It unloads my codec and I lose my audio devices in settings, but they never come back when the codec is reloaded. I tried resetting my codec through the terminal, which also did not work- same as cliffom's tool.  I have tried changing settings in CodecCommander, which did not work, and tried a fresh install of Yosemite with these fixes, which also did not work.

Someone has to have my motherboard and use clover, right? Am I the only Asus ALC892 user with this issue? I guess I could try VoodooHDA, but I really would prefer to have native realtek audio. 

So, update #2- I think I fixed it.  It just dawned on me that kexts loaded through clover EFI behave differently than through S/L/E.  Removed codeccommander.kext from Clover/kexts/10.10 and installed the kext to S/L/E, reboot, sound works like normal.  Put computer to sleep, wake up, and I have sound after sleep! 

Codeccommander is also returning very different output to the system log.  It now detects awake, communicates with the codec, restores power, and stops.  Before it would continuously report that power had been restored every second or so without actually communicating to the hardware.

I've heard of others using codeccommander where the problem returns later.  I will report back if I have any other issues.  Hope this helps others at least.

Thanks guys-

• Like 1