bcobco

GRUB2 -> Chameleon

6 posts in this topic

situation: disk containing osx86 and linux. boot loader was Chameleon, replaced by GRUB2.

boot linux and extract Chameleon's i386.zip into /boot/chameleon

then edit file /etc/grub.d/40_custom in order to add this lines:

menuentry "OSX86 Chameleon Boot Loader" {
chainloader /boot/chameleon/i386/boot0
}

after save, run update-grub2

done!

EDIT: simplification... chainloader pointing to chameleon's boot0 do the trick

________

useful chameleon recovery commands

(cd /boot/chameleon/i386)

dd   if=boot0   of=/dev/disk/by-id/TheDiskThatYouAreUsing   bs=440   count=1

dd   if=boot1h   of=/dev/disk/by-id/ThePartitionWithOsx86OfTheDiscThatYouAreUsing   bs=512   count=1

cp   boot   /the/root/of/your/osx86/mount/point/

dont copy-paste, just take as reference!

please use dd (destroyer of disks) with precaution, you can kill a little cat if used wrong!

________

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_%28Unix%29

Edited by bcobco

Advertisement

i think it can be useful information for those who has a linux as backup system installed on their hard drive.

GRUB2 will be the main boot loader. it will chain load into Chameleon!

by default, GRUB2 does not detects propertly OSX86. this is a little fix for grub2.

the right way.. is chameleon call grub2 in the linux partition
in GUID

this solution is for when chameleon cannot detect grub2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kushwavez
      MOBO: GIGABYTE Z77P-D3
      CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Quad (Ivy Bridge) 3,4 GHz
      RAM: 8 GB (4+4) KINGSTON 1333MHz
      Audio: HD Audio (ALC888)
      Ethernet: Realtek8111
      Graphics: HD 4000 and(or) RX 5700 8 GB
      SSD: KINGSTON 240GB SSDNow mSata
      HDD: 1: 500 GB SAMSUNG 2: 1 TB Western Digital

Running: macOS Catalina 10.15.1 - Windows 10

Bios settings:
      UEFI - ON CSM: Disabled AHCI Integrated Graphics: AUTO Primary Graphics: iGFX Memory: 1024M DVMT: MAX Working
      Everything (App Store, Messenger, FaceTime, etc.)  
      Not working
      For AirDrop and Handoff you need a compatible Broadcom Wifi+Bluetooth card. I bought a BCM94360 card with a PCI-E adapter, it's OOB. Currently waiting for arrive, will report back.  
      Issues
      Sometimes I hear crackling sound (just on Catalina 10.15.1, didn't happen on 10.15 or before) If you don't have this issue please let me know.  
      Before updating to newer versions, update your kexts! (and Clover if necessary)
      Generate a new serial with Clover Configurator
      Download the Clover folder: Z77P-D3-catalina.zip

- SMBIOS: iMac13,2: iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
      - ig-platform-id: 0x0166000b

- There is no need for Whatevergreen.kext 
      - The HD 4000 is working with- or without a graphics card (headless with IntelQuickSync)
      - RX 5700 (ASUS RX 5700 GAMING OC 8 G) working OOB, just delete WhateverGreen.kext (causes black screen)

Triple-Boot Win 10 and Linux (in my case it's Manjaro) (on one drive)
      Make sure your drive is in GPT and you're using UEFI If you have Win 10 installed then: Open diskmgmt (Disk Management), then Shrink your existing Win 10 partition to create two new for Mac and (if you want) for Linux If you have Mac installed: Create a new partition for Linux and (or) Windows in FAT Simply format that partition in Linux, Windows, or Mac installer, then install the OS Copy your working Clover folder to the system's EFI drive If it's automatically booting to Win, open cmd in administrator and write: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi That's it, automatically booting to Clover and you can select your OS If your Linux doesn't show up in Clover make sure you have GUI/Scan/Linux=Yes in config.plist  
      Mount your EFI on Windows:
      Open CMD in administrator and write: mountvol b: /s Use Explorer++ or TotalCommander in administrator to manage the folder Pictures:

• By Barry_dhb52
      How to directly boot into  specific volume, for me MACOS,Just like clover DefaultVolume. Thanks 

EFI: https://github.com/dhb52/z370-opencore

BTW, another question. I use Clover install on ssd along with macOS installed.
      And I use a GUID partitioned HHD for TimeMachine backup, which I have my OC EFI installed to boot the same `macOS`.
      by comparing usage of both booters, it seems that when using OC, my Win7(Paralled Desktop 14 vm) uses more memory, 
      by opening Task Manager.

• By DSA2
      Salve a tutti
      Fin' ora non mi sono informato molto su come sistemare il boot , prima schermata di avvio.
      In pratica ogni volta devo spostare con freccetta e selezionare mio Hard disk .
      Allego foto fatte da cell. della schermata boot .
      Bisognerebbe cancellare le entries ?
      E nel caso in cui vorrei modificare la grafica clover ?
      Grazie in anticipo per le delucidazioni.

• By kylon
      Cloud Clover Editor is an open source application that allows you to manage various Hackintosh Bootloaders configs everywhere.

Open Cloud Clover Editor

Cloud Clover Editor Wiki
      Cloud Clover Editor Sources

Features
      Supports Clover EFI, Ozmosis, Chameleon, OpenCore GUI and Text Editor Mode CCE Bank Mobile friendly  
      Officially supported browsers
      Chrome 42+ Microsoft Edge 14+ Firefox 39+ Safari 10+ Opera 29+ Opera Mobile 12+ Chrome for Android 75+ Firefox for Android 67+  

Credits
      mackie100 - took some ideas from his app Clover EFI dev team Eric Slivka - new serial number Virtual1 - new serial number cecekpawon - PHP 5.3.3 patch, , help with the ACPI Loader Mode flag and more Micky1979 - Clover flying editor  (Discontinued) crusher. - Help with the ACPI Loader Mode flag Download-Fritz - Help with the ACPI Loader Mode flag Pavo - Ozmosis fields and values stehor - Ozmosis fields and values Sherlocks - General help and support gujiangjiang - General help and support  
      Please let me know if i forgot you!