Mountain Lion Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio

toleda

76 posts in this topic

Hi Toleda, your method works perfectly on both my 2 machines in signature (alc1200 aka 888 and 889a aka 885 chipsets).

I have only one small problem, in 10.8.5 the devices list are in english and not localized (italian in my case). (see picture below)

is there anything that you can do to avoid this little annoyance?

post-449896-0-28697900-1379868084.png

cheers! and keep the great work!

I didnt understand your suggestion completely...can u give me some more details on how i can patch my applehda and use audio id=12 instead of 1?

I also want to ask one thing.Whats the difference between using layoutid=1 and layoutid=12 for my motherboard?

For the AppleHDA solution presented in the first post, audio works with Audio ID: 1, 2 or 3.

See ML-Customizing the Realtek ALC AppleHDA.pdf, linked in Post #1.

I have only one small problem, in 10.8.5 the devices list are in english and not localized (italian in my case). (see picture below)

is there anything that you can do to avoid this little annoyance?

I don't touch localization, that is native AppleHDA.  Depending on the kext installer you used, it is possible files remain from a previously installed AppleHDA. Suggest removing the existing AppleHDA.kext before installing the native AppleHDA.kext for patching.

stefano.85 i think i found a solution to our problem...

u need to unpack this zip's contents in

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

and the devices names will be correctly displayed in english.i dont know if u wanted them in italian,but you can edit the Localizable.strings plist in the zip i sent you accordingly and put it in a folder named Italian.lproj instead of English.lproj,and they should show up as they should.  B)  :thumbsup_anim:

as for me i finally found out a way to use the old layout id=12 in 2.4.7 AppleHDA.kext by simply replacing AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist from the older kext i used and worked,and also replaced Platforms.xml.zlib and copying layout12.xml.zlib from the old kext..Now Digital In shows up in the input panel again,plus the names of the sound devices are correctly displayed. B)  B)  B)

Note:when i say that i replaced the info.plist i did so by editing the "BuildMachineOSBuild","Get Info string","Bundle versions string, short","Bundle version" strings so that they matched the 10.8.5 original AppleHDA.kext values.

English.lproj.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for such a dumb question here, but I'm confused about which file I actually need to grab from the array available.

I have a G41M-ES2H with the ALC888B Audio Codec. Is there a packaged file available to auto install?

Thanks in advance.

Problem report:

1. ALC898 patched AppleHDA.kext under 10.8.5 seems to cause coreaudio crashes during normal use. Removed AppleHDA.kext & re-applied 10.8.5 update with combo supplemental update. Crash gone (though audio is of course not working). Re-applied clean (as in re-downloaded latest from GIT) 10.8.5 patch and after reboot issues returned.

2. 10.8.5 (12f45) on Asus P8Z77-V Premium (ALC898 Audio) BIOS 2104 /w patch, 

3. DSDT injection method via iASL PJALM's repo (includes Toleda DSDT HDA edits)

4-9. Attached in Zip (except 6 where there was nothing found for the string)

10. Clean except for crash log generation notice & "coreaudiod[4301]: Enabled(/Disabled) automatic stack shots because audio IO is inactive" notices

cwestpha HDA issue Oct_11_2013.zip

First CoreAudio crash I have seen.  What speakers are connected to the green motherboard port?  Noticed you removed most of the files in Resources; I have not tested that condition.  The info.plist file has been updated since you downloaded the master.  If convenient, download the current master, install the native kext, remove/rename the Desktop/audio... file and run the patch script.

First CoreAudio crash I have seen.  What speakers are connected to the green motherboard port?  Noticed you removed most of the files in Resources; I have not tested that condition.  The info.plist file has been updated since you downloaded the master.  If convenient, download the current master, install the native kext, remove/rename the Desktop/audio... file and run the patch script.

Logitech THX certified 2.1 sound system is plugged into green port, line-in is just a regular cable linking audio out of my monitor for outputting the HDMI in sound and passthrough (there is an app for that) to green out so I can enjoy my Ceton MC Extender. Aside from those two ports the only other one I ever use/configure is front panel headphones.

Grabbed the AppleHDA.kext out of 10.8.5 updater and removed the patched kext from S/L/E then installed original using Kext Utility, now patching and will restart with the results. Will update post soon with results.

Results:

Issues continue. More console messages now, might not be the HDA patch causing this just the Audio is so time sensitive that it complains the most. Attaching log from boot on, also attaching AppleHDA.kext original and patched along with the scripts. Starting to get this nagging feeling its a profiling issue or the DSDT edits may not line up with all of the back-end optimizations Asus has been making in recent months to streamline and improve the firmware... should not be an issue though since this is a fresh System DSDT that I applied the patches to since iASL patches aren't bit patches but find and replace strings. Hmm, Clover issue then? Oh well this is fascinating and any insight or help you can proved is always appreciated.

cwestpha HDA issues 10122013.zip

Issues continue. More console messages now, might not be the HDA patch causing this just the Audio is so time sensitive that it complains the most. 

I don't see a AppleHDA.kext problem.  Boot shows 2 sound assertions, one I know and the other is new and likely particular to you system. IOReg shows something is very wrong with the speakers connected to the green motherboard port; LevelControl and ToggleControl are going crazy which results in the CoreAudio crash.  The coreaudio stack shots messages started in 10.8.4, are common to real macs, appears a developer diagnostic message got into the release by mistake.

What where you using previously for AppleHDA?  The extra dsdt/HDEF injections are not necessary and not hurting.  BIOS issue is low probabillty.

Suggest plugging headphones into the green motherboard port and reply with a new IOReg.

Odd because I don't get any problems from any other OS/device I used them with before. I know about the stack shots, annoying but not important. Before I was using the prior HDA patch with the same DSDT edits. The BIOS issues I bring up only because the last few UEFI updates for the ASUS Z77 series has included a lot of optimizations and changes to portions of the code and I wouldn't be surprised if some OEM DSDT entries were different and got out of sync with the iASL patch repo.

I plugged a Sennheiser headphones into the main stereo out on the mobo and did a IOReg as you asked. I also repeated along with an all messages dump since it was showing some... interesting messages. As an added bonus I did a VoodooHDA install with AppleHDADisabler and did another IOReg dump since VoodooHDA seems to work fine. Just thought it might be helpful to see how it differed in its outputs. Wish I could get more of the output from console but by the time I got the IOReg generated and saved the messages were already larger then the retained buffer.

I don't see a AppleHDA.kext problem.  Boot shows 2 sound assertions, one I know and the other is new and likely particular to you system. IOReg shows something is very wrong with the speakers connected to the green motherboard port; LevelControl and ToggleControl are going crazy which results in the CoreAudio crash.  The coreaudio stack shots messages started in 10.8.4, are common to real macs, appears a developer diagnostic message got into the release by mistake.

What where you using previously for AppleHDA?  The extra dsdt/HDEF injections are not necessary and not hurting.  BIOS issue is low probabillty.

Suggest plugging headphones into the green motherboard port and reply with a new IOReg.

cwestpha HDA issues 10142013.zip

I plugged a Sennheiser headphones into the main stereo out on the mobo and did a IOReg as you asked. I also repeated along with an all messages dump since it was showing some... interesting messages. 

IOReg shows the same issue with headphones.  Console log shows dependencies and bad busy counts suggesting something is broken (wrong version, incompatibility, etc.)  Two choices: 1. install previous solution, 2. clean native install and audio, verify, add 3rd party hardware and software until it breaks.

10/15/13 10:11:42.000 PM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAEngine at line 581

Known problem,  missing property: MaximumBootBeepVolume.  Have not found a fix for the kext.  dsdt fix: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290783-intel-hd-graphics-4600-haswell-working-displayport/?p=1949547

Credit:  TimeWalker75a

Any possibility to get ALC892 Chipset working in 10.8.5 (or above) with AppleHDA.kext on a MSI X58A-GD65 (so a pre Sandy Bridge) Mainboard?

I've tried different AppleHDA versions, and tried injecting my own AppleHDA.kext both with and without an edited DSDT but nothing worked..

Sometimes it showed my in and outputs but there was no sound and sometimes my devices didn't even show up in the audio settings..

ATM i'm using VoodooHDA but the sound is nowhere to clean and how it should be so i would be really glad if there's a possibility to get the AppleHDA version working.

Why isn't audio working properly on MSI pre Sandy Bridge mainboards?

Why isn't audio working properly on MSI pre Sandy Bridge mainboards?

MSI (pre SB) used a pin configuration value that is not recognized by AppleHDA.  In other words, the Dxy value (x = jack color, y = jack detect) is Intel High Definition spec compliant, however, AppleHDA.kext does not recognize anything other than Dx0 (enabled) or Dx1 (disabled). See [HOW TO] Patch AppleHDA - Knowledge Base - Project OS X Forums.

Hi Im really thankful for this fixes, thanks to toleda and other developers  :thumbsup_anim: 

Im going to use the kext_enabler method for my hackintosh
my komputr specs is:

AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 OC from 3.2Ghz to 3.6Ghz
Asus M5A88-M
HD6770 Sapphire OC
8GB RAM 1333MHz OC to 1405Mhz

Can I suggest something? Im sorry if im being rude but can anyone here make  videos and post the link for 4 methods?
Its really a great burden for toleda for answering same questions

• 2 weeks later...

IOReg shows the same issue with headphones.  Console log shows dependencies and bad busy counts suggesting something is broken (wrong version, incompatibility, etc.)  Two choices: 1. install previous solution, 2. clean native install and audio, verify, add 3rd party hardware and software until it breaks.

Ok with the help of Asus and some exploring on my own I figured out what was going on. Apparently AppleHDA.kext is hyper sensitive to jackdetect switches as reported by the HDA subsystem. My codec (or what ever handles Jackdetect) system was malfunctioning sending phantom signals of headphone insertion that OS X was processing as a rapid unplugging and re-pluging of something into the headphones jack. I reproduced this in Windows eventually (even with the HDA front panel unplugged from the header) found the jack detect function glitching with the Realtek drivers. Apparently OS X is so sensitive to this behavior it will just kill the audio subsystem after a few rapid switches (hence the audio going in and out, crackling, then nothing for a while). Apple seems to try to instantly switch in as close to real time as possible while the Microsoft default drivers have a larger delay between switching outputs. The realtek Windows drivers have slightly less of a delay but the big thing is it shows the jackdetect state changes as the driver picks it up.

Just thought you might like to know if it ever comes up again... though from the sounds of Asus' rep it sounds like they never have heard of this happening with the header un-connected.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Having problems in getting audio at all from ALC888, getting following boot messages

08/03/2014 14:53:04.000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.\
08/03/2014 14:53:04.000 kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - failed to resolve library dependencies.\
08/03/2014 14:53:04.000 kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController failed to load (0xdc00800e).\
08/03/2014 14:53:04.000 kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (error 0xdc00800e).\
08/03/2014 14:53:04.000 kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController"\

(1)
I am following those two guides

https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALCInjection
   (I have chosen  2. Audio_ID: 2 supports 3 port ALC8xx onboard and/or AMD/Nvidia HDMI audio)
   [Guide]-Add_or_Edit_HDEF-dsdt
https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC888

(2)
I have removed previous attempts enablers and restored a fresh copy of AppleHDA.kext from USB install stick
(AppleHDA.kext_v2.4.7)

(3)

Hardware/Software info

Acer Aspire 7738G
Motherboard: JM70
BIOS version: BIOS1.13 MOD
http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/480992-acer-laptop-phoenix-bios-bios-mod-request-3-print.html
processor: Q9000
RAM: 8GB RAM
graphics: GT240M

booting through Chameleon, content of org.chameleon.Boot.plist as follows

<key>Boot Banner</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Instant Menu</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-v slide=0 DSDT=null</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>No</string>

(4)
Copy of dsdt
see attachment: two copies first original second with mods suggested for HDEF section

(5)
Copy of IORegistryExplorer
see attachment: two copies available one taken with modified DSDT and one taken when using flag DSDT=null

attachments.zip