CrossOver for Mac Beta 2 is Released

Colonel

17 posts in this topic

Just a few hours ago, CodeWeavers, the geniuses behind CrossOver, released a new beta of CrossOver for Mac. The new beta includes quite a few fixes and improvements from the previous version.

For Mac users, this release includes fixes to Internet Explorer, fixes for many cases where programs would crash when run (e.g. Microsoft Office 2000 and similar older applications), fixes for Outlook 2003, and a range of other improvements.

The complete changelog is attached below. It looks like the future is bright for CrossOver...

CrossOverBeta2Changes.txt

Crossover was definately a buggy program. Hope it's getting better, and more App support'd be nice. For me, Parallels is the way to go, you get a full windows desktop.

The difference between Parallels and CrossOver is that with Parallels, you need to boot Windows entirely, but with CrossOver you can run Windows app right on OS X.

It's clear but Parallels works fine, CrossOver not! I prefer the first one, it's too fast for loading times and I can share files as well as Internet connection by a total trasparent bridged network :P

Greeting,

I wonder if they got the mIRC bug fixed or not? I know in the last beta, if you switched between channels you would have to click in the userlast after each channel change for the userlist to populate.

Regards,

{censored}-x

Yep. Just finished playing through HL and HL2, now getting started with Ep 1. They all run fine on my MBP. I do have parallels though -- Crossover is still tough to work with, I don't think its ready for prime time. Will be nice to see what the next beta improves on.

Wow installing windows applications on mac, that's nasty...

And what about viruses?

I stick to Parallels and wait for VMWare on mac.

you're not going to have to worry about viruses affecting your mac, they wouldn't know what to do. It's not like they would be able to edit a regitry key or anything. you should not have any problems with viruses while running crossover. if you have parallels, you should probably stick with that for now. i've used crossover for a while, and it still has too many problems to be a good solution. i'm sure this will be worked out soon enough and you'll be able to use crossover more easily than parallels (and the performance might be better, you don't have to run a whole new os).

you're not going to have to worry about viruses affecting your mac, they wouldn't know what to do. It's not like they would be able to edit a regitry key or anything. you should not have any problems with viruses while running crossover. if you have parallels, you should probably stick with that for now. i've used crossover for a while, and it still has too many problems to be a good solution. i'm sure this will be worked out soon enough and you'll be able to use crossover more easily than parallels (and the performance might be better, you don't have to run a whole new os).

For quite some time now, wine has been able to read and manipulate home directories (/home) on linux (shows up as Z:\ in apps). If crossover also has this ability, a special crafted virus *could* f*** up your system if running as root/sudo privelegies. If not, a virus could still f*** up any file in $HOME, which often contains files one needs.

Likewise, this could also happen on linux, but I am not aware of a virus doing this, neither on the mac. There has been talk of including ClamAv in the past, but that might just as well be rumours.

Okay, I used it for a while longer and noticed a couple things. IE 6 is slow compared to running within XP. There's a certain grad planning web page that requires IE under Windows that my college uses, and I was happy about Crossover since that meant I wouldn't have to reboot into XP, but it crashed several times throughout the half hour or so, and I lost what I was doing. It also loaded much more slowly under Crossover than XP.