[Solved] Can't mount ntfs and fat partitions

23 posts in this topic

Hi insanes

i don't know why but after a reboot i wasn't seeing the windows partition in the finder window...

so i tried to mount it via disk utility but it gave this error:

---

The disk “.Windows” can't be activated.

use S.O.S. on the disk and retry.

---

i've even tried to load msdosfs.kext trought terminal

and this is the result:

---

Requesting load of /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext.

/System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext failed to load - (ipc/mig) server died; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

---

any help?

thx

If you have enabled NTFS write support on OS X, disable it. It's not 100%, which is why it's disabled by default. I use exFAT for partitions that I need to share between OS X and Windows, it works fine. Don't use FAT32 for hard drives unless you live in 1998. The best alternative to exFAT is to use a network drive, then it doesn't matter what filesystem it's formatted with.

Try to format a flash drive with NTFS (you can't do this from OS X though, boot into Windows or use another Windows PC) then FAT32. In both instances, check that you can mount the flash drive successfully on OS X and read and write from/to it (of course you will not be able to write anything to it when its formatted with NTFS). This will rule out driver issues or other problems with OS X itself.

Can you boot Windows? If you can, then open an elevated command prompt (click start, type cmd.exe in the search box, right-click cmd.exe, click run as Administrator) and enter chkdsk /r. You'll see a message saying the drive is locked and that chkdsk will run on next reboot. Reboot and let chkdsk do its thing. This may take a while, depending on the size and speed of your drive, as well as the number of files on it.

ehi Gringo thanks for the tips, i've tried to format a drive to exfat but it gives an error after formatting that says it cannot mount the partitioning, this one:

1h6xc7.png

and i don't have windows right now, the .windows you see is an empty unmountable (right now) partition...

argh..well if disk utility can't access a drive that was formatted with disk utility...something is broken for sure.

I've never seen anything like this before and I don't know what to suggest, if you were running 10.8.2 I'd suggest updating to 10.8.3 using the full combo update, but you're on 10.8.3 already.

Maybe run console.app and look for clues in system.log, if there are any hints that some kernel extensions have become corrupt somehow you can easily replace them with fresh ones from the full 10.8.3 installation package from the app store, or you can pull them from the 10.8.3 combo update - either manually or by using a neat tool called Pacifist (google it).

If you can't fix it by replacing kernel extensions or frameworks and you can't find any help with this elsewhere then I'd say..reinstall.

just a question and if possible some tips...

i was using guid before without any problem at all to dual boot win 8 & ml

right now i'm having problem after the installation of both os

i've tried to install osx first splitting the drive in three partition (osx,fat,freespace*for sys partitions) and even tried (osx, freespace)

and then i've installed win8, booted and configured it

but when i install chameleon and boot osx i can't mount the windows drive and chameleon don't even see the partition :/

but if i remove chameleon i can boot windows...

it's weird!!!

it was working :pyth::(

This is my partition table

331dgf5.png

it's seems hybridized by the win 8 installer...

but it was working, right now i've reinstalled everything but still can't mount ntfs or fat partitions

It could be the suspicious sector ?? The only time I've had trouble with partition tables is with bootcamp which i fixed with rEFIt can't remember how though, but i think rEFIt users GPT disk so it might be worth a look http://sourceforge.n...jects/gptfdisk/

Another thread which might be of some use to you ??? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1405449

I really don't know why, but i can't definitely remove this error, i have even tried to reinstall everything on a new drive but suddenly this thing came back, same error same thing even on a different drive??? i was able to boot the partition one time with vmware but after a restart the partition did not mount again!!! :( :( :(

i have this problem, i don't now exactly, but reinstall sata.dilyb and filenvram.dilyb from chameleon 2189 generic not enoch, and be correct this.

sorry, but i don't now why.

fakesmc and plugins 4.3.5

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same issues: could you guys provide me links for it?

P.S.: found the files, installed and solved the issue. Thank you very much, Derty: this has been haunting me for a couple of months already. Oddly, i couldn't find any related thread in Insanelymac using the local search tool, and found this thread on Google.

P.P.S.: Ermac, is Enoch safe now?

P.P.P.S.: that solved my strange network issues as well: i couldn't also connect to other computers in the same network.

• 2 months later...

@theconnactic

Thank you very much... This fix solved a major headache I have been having on a multiboot setup which includes Mavericks and Mountie.. I recently installed a wi fi USB DWA-125 D-Link N150 and I think thats where my troubles all began.. Rebuilt both systems only to find that in ML I could not mount either of my NTFS drives when booting from the master (Mavericks) withe either Chameleon or Chimera...
However... Booting with either installed on the Mountie partition directly.. gave me both ntfs drives... but then knocked out my wi-fi....

I took your advice here... Downloaded Generic Cham and installed Sata and  NVRam DiLybs to The Mavericks partition (which by process of elimination was the one giving the hassle) .... reinstalled the Ralink Driver.... Rebooted to Mountie from the Master (Mavericks) loader and Bingo! All is well

Have to see if changing these DiLybs has had any effect on Mavericks.... but at least for now Mountie is back healthy!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem with Lion 10.7 and I tried to install an old version of NTFS for Mac OS X and it blocked my ability to even mount the NTFS hard drives. Then I found this thread and I was able to mount the NTFS drives again:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191198

Try deleting /System/Library/filesystems/ufsd.fs

Then I installed a new trail version of NTFS for Mac OS X (11.1) that is compatible with 10.7 Lion and I can read/write as well as mount NTFS drives!

Yeah!