G5 Hackintosh - First attempt

jopa1200mk2

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Firstly thanks to all the amazing people on this forum for inspiration and helping me get my Hackintosh up and running.

This is my first case mod ever…

Here is my system specs:

CPU-Intel i5 3330

MB-Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H

RAM-Corsair 2X4Gb 1600 MHz

GPU_XFX 5670 1Gb with Accelero S1 passive cooler

SSD-Mushkin 60 Gb

HDD-Seagate 1TB

PSU-Chieftec 400W

LG DVD/CD RW

Apple Bluetooth module

Apple Wi-Fi module

Antec cooler H2O 620

2X 120 mm Fan 500 RPM

1X 80 mm Fan 1000 RPM

G5 CASE

OS-OS X ML 10.8.3

What I wanted to do with this project is minimalistic and clean mod with "perfect" cable management :)

The hardest part of the job was making the back of the enclosure in which I used a 1.5 mm thick aluminum sheet with inner rear plate of my old ATX case. All aluminum work is home-made.

post-588790-0-62970100-1364500464_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-72641900-1364500552_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-79780600-1364500599_thumb.jpg

Power supply is put together in the original PSU case with the Hard and SSD drive, and that combination is cooled with the original G5 60 mm fans.This may seem strange combination putting HDD and PSU in one case, and I was a little bit skeptic, but for now everything is working great and temperatures not exceed 28 Celsius

post-588790-0-43034200-1364500747_thumb.jpg

Mount for front fans is made of aluminum profile.

Case interior is lined with black self adhesive foil.

post-588790-0-64865000-1364500980_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-27184600-1364501003_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-14936300-1364501035_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-32181700-1364501122_thumb.jpg

The end result is here, the configuration is very fast and quiet, and I am very satisfied with my first G5 case mod :)

post-588790-0-47101500-1364501406_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-93811600-1364501479_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-99334300-1364501525_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-19191300-1364501375_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-28309600-1364502385_thumb.jpgpost-588790-0-70527100-1364501388_thumb.jpg

Next thing what I want to do is replace power supply with better one (maybe 500-600W) and buy a new graphic card (AMD 7xxx)

Thanks for watching :D

• Like 3

I think that is a very unique idea putting the HDD &SSD in the TeslaConverter shell with the new PSU. My only question is one of heat. Do you have the ability to thermally monitor your storage drives and assuming yes, what are the temps?

Very nicely done!

You chose quiet fans / slow rpm, I like that! But how would you rate the G5 60mm fans? Do they point out in an acoustic way?

No they did not! G5 60mm fans are very loud and I had to install speed controller because my priority for this mod was to built silent PC

post-588790-0-61062600-1364579733_thumb.jpg

I think that is a very unique idea putting the HDD &SSD in the TeslaConverter shell with the new PSU. My only question is one of heat. Do you have the ability to thermally monitor your storage drives and assuming yes, what are the temps?

Very nicely done!

temps are 27-29C (If I can believe to HWMonitor app).

Maybe I will separate power supply and hdd but definitely hdd will stay at the bottom of the case, because I want to keep minimalistic look without visible power and SATA cables. For now everything seems to work very nice :)

post-588790-0-20076500-1364579955.jpg

Very VERY clean, I really love this. You did a great job on everything, and I second the props on the HDD solution, VERY nice!

Thanks.

Congratz, for a first time, this is a nice shot. Clean and well done.

Thanks man.

• Like 1

those temps are just fine... great solution for two issues - where to put your storage drives and how to help manage cables better!

those temps are just fine... great solution for two issues - where to put your storage drives and how to help manage cables better!

definitely, here is a picture of my first idea... I wanted to put hard disk in coolermaster bay rafter but I didn't was satisfied with the result. I don't like cables!

post-588790-0-44102800-1364636208_thumb.png

Are you using a PCI adapter for the Apple wifi module there? I'm just looking at the 3 antennae and have seen similar adapter cards on ebay.

I'm wondering if one of those would work with a BT/WiFi combo mini pci-e card? Ebay search isn't working right now but when I was looking up mini pci-e cards from MacBooks there was one which had wifi and bluetooth on the same card. It appeared to have 2 connections (one for BT and one for WiFi I assume). I was thinking of getting a pci-e adapter card with 2 antennae and using it with this combo card in an upcoming hack build.

@ Riley Freeman :

I hear you man, I bought years ago one mini pci-e card, after reading the ref on aquamac site, and now I have seen this on ebay, I will buy it and put them together and let you know about .

Are you using a PCI adapter for the Apple wifi module there? I'm just looking at the 3 antennae and have seen similar adapter cards on ebay.

I'm wondering if one of those would work with a BT/WiFi combo mini pci-e card? Ebay search isn't working right now but when I was looking up mini pci-e cards from MacBooks there was one which had wifi and bluetooth on the same card. It appeared to have 2 connections (one for BT and one for WiFi I assume). I was thinking of getting a pci-e adapter card with 2 antennae and using it with this combo card in an upcoming hack build.

yes, i'm using apple wireless card (bcm4322) with mini PCI-E adapter and Apple Bluetooth card from MacbookPro connected to USB on MB. I think that you can't use combo card (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth) from Apple with mini PCI-E adapter because it has 18 pins, PCI-E has 26 pins, so they are not compatible.

You should flip the CPU fan around, it's blowing the wrong way.

air direction of the cpu fan is going from inside of the pc to front out

You have two fans pushing air towards the back, and the CPU fan blowing towards the front going solely off the pictures... It's an airflow disaster.

Certainly looks like the bottom front fan is trying to expel to the front, while the top fan is drawing air in (and I guess partially heated air from the lower fan!) and that the rear lower fan is pushing air out of the back. Meanwhile the graphics card will also be pulling air from the case and pushing it out of the back.

I guess the intention is to avoid warm air from the radiator going into the case. However, probably the opposite of that is happening as at least some of the air the lower fan "ejects" to the front will be being sucked back in by the upper fan.

Even though it is not ideal to have warm air from a rad going into the case, the better compromise here is probably to simply reverse that lower fan and give the air a chance to flow through the case efficiently spending as little time there and avoiding any re-circulating. Either that or turn the other two fans around and go purely "back to front" (but the graphics card may not be so happy with that solution.....).

I guess it also shows that, as the temp.s look good despite the cooling, the G5 case is pretty easy to keep cool...

• Like 1

Hot air rises, so pushing that air towards the front of the case means that upper fan is going to suck it back into the CPU area.

All fans should just flow in one direction, it's neater, cooler and quieter.

The GPU having an Accelero S1 Plus likely will not change at all if the CPU fan direction was changed. Considering the rear fan blows out of the case, the other fans should go in the same direction, helps cool better with air pressure.

I guess it also shows that, as the temp.s look good despite the cooling, the G5 case is pretty easy to keep cool...

I think that at this point, its all just nit-picking. Yes, hot air rises. Yes, recirculating warm air thru multiple cooling solutions isn't ideal. I think, however, the numbers speak for themselves.

temps are 27-29C (If I can believe to HWMonitor app).

Untitled 2.jpg

We're quibbling over the direction of a fan when this guy got his HDD and SSD running under 30° while INSIDE THE PSU CASE!

I think this is a job well done - regardless if this is his first build or not.

• Like 2

I think that at this point, its all just nit-picking. Yes, hot air rises. Yes, recirculating warm air thru multiple cooling solutions isn't ideal. I think, however, the numbers speak for themselves.

We're quibbling over the direction of a fan when this guy got his HDD and SSD running under 30° while INSIDE THE PSU CASE!

Couldn't agree more. It looks great, it runs cool. Kudos.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it's a bad job, I'm just pointing out that it really isn't idea. As far as the HDD/SSD temps..they're less than 2" away from a pair of fans. If I had a fan that close to my hard drives, the temps would be the same.