Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, tluck said:

i just reinstalled 10.15.4 (i say that because i must do it from the USB installer)

Very strange... then I don't understand it.

I will reinstall Catalina and see how it goes. Did you do anything different, comparing to the Mojave installation?

2 hours ago, freddie said:

Very strange... then I don't understand it.

I will reinstall Catalina and see how it goes. Did you do anything different, comparing to the Mojave installation?

no.

I used the latest dosdude1 1.3.1 which now supports 10.15.4

with full install downloaded from the app store

6 hours ago, tluck said:

try running this:

sudo spctl --master-disable

Thanks tluck.

It seems that dosdude1 reverted the macOS Catalina version back to 10.15.3 due to issues with the patches not working.

I will download it and reinstall it to see if my problems are gone.

I've reinstalled macOS Catalina 10.15.3 using dosdude1 patcher and now it is working fine. Some minor glitches, but no freezes up to now. Mostly using Chrome, Mail, Music (with AirPlay), Word, Excel, Preview and Atom.

I'm using config.EDID-2e2.plist with the 1024 VRam kexts. I'm on a T420s, 1600x900, i7, SSD and 8GB RAM.

Chrome was glitching a lot and I have changed the following parameters in chrome://flags/  in order to get rid of these annoying glitches:

• Disabled "GPU rasterization"
  • Disabled "Partial swap"
  • Disabled "Zero-copy rasterizer"

Hope this helps Chrome users.

Edited by freddie
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, tluck said:

cool. what is the version number on the gfx kext you are using?

The kexts I've replaced in /System/Library/Extensions to have 1024VRam are the ones I have posted earlier:

https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=345125

Their versions are:

• AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext v10.12.13
  • AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext v10.0.40
  • AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext v10.0.40

3 minutes ago, freddie said:

The kexts I've replaced in /System/Library/Extensions to have 1024VRam are the ones I have posted earlier:

https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=345125

Their versions are:

• AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext v10.12.13
  • AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext v10.0.40
  • AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext v10.0.40

ok. i just realized Chrome is not working for me either on 10.15.4... so will have to wait and see what patches are in the works for this.

3 minutes ago, tluck said:

ok. i just realized Chrome is not working for me either on 10.15.4... so will have to wait and see what patches are in the works for this.

Yes. The only way is to go back to 10.15.3 for the moment. Or wait ;)

14 minutes ago, goodguess said:

What are you needing Chrome for, after all?

I´m using Brave Browser - Chromium engine - no glitches, just working.

No unwanted stuff, no tracking…

Well, if it is a Chromium engine, it should give the same glitches... for example, I have the same problems with Atom, which has also beneath its skin a Chromium based engine. I don't have the glitches only in Chrome... they're all over the OS as soon as you have several apps opened and/or if you demand the CPU to stretch a bit more.

I think it is impossible to get rid of these glitches, but we can try to live with them.

I will give a try to Brave anyway. The design looks sleek!

Hey, so I know this is not strictly thread releated, but I own X220 Thinkpad and I tried to get keyboard/touchpad working on it, but it's not.

I know there are ready files but I am trying to get it working fully on OpenCore, and I got running fine almost everything (even battery status and brightness control!) but even, I can't get VoodooPS2 to work.
I tried PS2 kexts from many sources (this thread, VoodooPS2/VoodooInput from acidanthera, and also from X220 kext pack). And it's even loading (I see it in kextstat).

Probably some patch is not included in OpenCore or I miss some DSDT/SSDT.

2 hours ago, Hoshi Yamazaki said:

Hey, so I know this is not strictly thread releated, but I own X220 Thinkpad and I tried to get keyboard/touchpad working on it, but it's not.

I know there are ready files but I am trying to get it working fully on OpenCore, and I got running fine almost everything (even battery status and brightness control!) but even, I can't get VoodooPS2 to work.
I tried PS2 kexts from many sources (this thread, VoodooPS2/VoodooInput from acidanthera, and also from X220 kext pack). And it's even loading (I see it in kextstat).

Hi Hoshi, never tried OpenCore. What are the advantages?

My T420s is working fine with Clover. 

14 minutes ago, freddie said:

Hi Hoshi, never tried OpenCore. What are the advantages?

My T420s is working fine with Clover. 

I want just do it for sake of achievement and because I report bugs to Open-Source projects like OpenCore, thus I want to get it working.
Seems that OpenCore is faster, more stable, and for me iMessage started working out-of-box. Previously I had an problem because Wi-Fi card was never an en0.
If we want to move on, why support Clover?

13 minutes ago, Hoshi Yamazaki said:

I want just do it for sake of achievement and because I report bugs to Open-Source projects like OpenCore, thus I want to get it working.
Seems that OpenCore is faster, more stable, and for me iMessage started working out-of-box. Previously I had an problem because Wi-Fi card was never an en0.
If we want to move on, why support Clover?

Totally agree with you! Thanks for your effort.

I think that speed is not an issue with Clover, but stability yes. If OpenCore proves to be more stable, then it's a win!

I think the best guy to help you is @tluck

3 hours ago, Hoshi Yamazaki said:

does the 1.9.2 VoodooPS2 work for you under clover? you need the SSDT-PS2K to create some properties etc.   the newer VoodooPS2 2.x from acidanthera will not work well give the physical buttons etc. iMessage works with Clover too.?

and Clover is super stable... for example, it been working on this box since 2013? i have NOT seen a KP in ages.

but sure have fun with OpenCore. its fun to hack these boxes!

and with the latest 1.3.5 dosdude1 patcher - catalina 10.15.4 is working fine for me. 

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tluck said:

does the 1.9.2 VoodooPS2 work for you under clover? you need the SSDT-PS2K to create some properties etc.   the newer VoodooPS2 2.x from acidanthera will not work well give the physical buttons etc. iMessage works with Clover too.?

and Clover is super stable... for example, it been working on this box since 2013? i have NOT seen a KP in ages.

but sure have fun with OpenCore. its fun to hack these boxes!

and with the latest 1.3.5 dosdude1 patcher - catalina 10.15.4 is working fine for me. 

@tluck 10.15.4 is still not good for me. I've used the last patch of dosdude1 for 10.15.4 (v1.3.5) but several apps still get blocked and I get momentary freezes all over the OS. Even after doing the "sudo spctl --master-disable" command. I did the exact same installation I did for 10.15.3, same config.plist and same kexts. 

10.15.3 was very smooth and stable after I upgraded to 16GB RAM and patched my VRAM to 1024MB. No freezes and no glitches at all (during 2 consecutive days).

Do you confirm that you can use 10.15.4 without any issue? If yes, what did you do differently from the 10.15.3 installation?

Edited by freddie

11 hours ago, freddie said:

@tluck 10.15.4 is still not good for me. I've used the last patch of dosdude1 for 10.15.4 (v1.3.5) but several apps still get blocked and I get momentary freezes all over the OS. Even after doing the "sudo spctl --master-disable" command

Do you confirm that you can use 10.15.4 without any issue? If yes, what did you do differently from the 10.15.3 installation?

I booted the dosdude1 1.3.5 patched USB installer and ran the post-install for MBP8,1 (the only thing i dont install is legacyUSB). and then Chrome started working again. i dont have a lot of 3rd party apps istalled beside VMware Fusion and Chrome. but for me 10.15.4 seems as good as the 10.15.3.

1 hour ago, _Cute_Kitty_ said:

Are any of you guys using the 1366x768 display with Catalina? If so, how's it working?

have you tried injecting the say the EDID 366 or 2e2 EDID even though those were made for 1600x900. I seem to recall Tetonne may have done that? just make sure you set DualLink to 0 if copy the pre-built config.plist to try.

20 hours ago, tluck said:

I booted the dosdude1 1.3.5 patched USB installer and ran the post-install for MBP8,1 (the only thing i dont install is legacyUSB). and then Chrome started working again. i dont have a lot of 3rd party apps istalled beside VMware Fusion and Chrome. but for me 10.15.4 seems as good as the 10.15.3.

It seems dosdude1 just issued another fix:

1.3.6 - 3/31/2020

• Fixed an issue where AMFI may prevent some third-party applications from launching in 10.15.4.

I think I will give it another try. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, freddie said:

It seems dosdude1 just issued another fix:

1.3.6 - 3/31/2020

• Fixed an issue where AMFI may prevent some third-party applications from launching in 10.15.4.

I think I will give it another try. 

i am updating my USB right now! thanks.

1 hour ago, freddie said:

The issue is still not solved unfortunately :wacko:

I think we will see another patch from dosdude1 (I hope he can solve this).

can you provide a name of an app i can test that doesnt work for you?