iAnnoyance Challenge: Fixing the desktop

Swad

64 posts in this topic

Yeah, xD

That's as far as the icons will go-Apple won't let you put them further.

EDIT: release 2:

Bugfixes:

1) Your icons can be as big or as small as you want them, so far as you don't have more than two columns, but I'm fixing that.

2) Your icons can be right or bottom aligned (for text)

3) You can use (I think) any resolution, provided there aren't multiple screens.

4) You can have (so far) three columns, which will soon evolve to as many as your computer screen can hold.

5) Automatically arranges icons alphabetically.

6) The icons no longer go to weird "y" values when hitting the "arrange to left" script.

7) The "arrage by right" script is flawless.

8) I hereby support these scripts and any problems that occur.

Enough major fixes for you? The "left" script had to be completely re-written, basically.

Download scripts here.

How to use:

1) Open the script you want to use in AppleScript.

2) CLOSE ALL FINDER WINDOWS. THE SCRIPT WILL CURRENTLY NOT WORK UNLESS ALL THE FINDER WINDOWS ARE CLOSED. Also, I don't want to have the script automatically close all the Finder windows, because that would suck on the user's part.

3) Click "run" in the AppleScript window.

4) Quit AppleScript.

If you want to have it execute at startup, follow these steps.

I'll use the "move icons to left" script for my example.

1) Open the script you want to use in AppleScript.

2) CLOSE ALL FINDER WINDOWS. THE SCRIPT WILL CURRENTLY NOT WORK UNLESS ALL THE FINDER WINDOWS ARE CLOSED. Also, I don't want to have the script automatically close all the Finder windows, because that would suck on the user's part.

3) Hit File, Save As, and under format hit "application".

4) Uncheck the "startup screen" box.

Place the app in your startup item list.

Voila. The first stable release.

There are more scripts to come, such as the icon overlapping thing. To solve icon overlapping for now, run the align left or right scripts.

Did you ever use supercard? Maybe a single-window application with a single card that covered the whole desktop area could be useful for faking icon hiding. It would get the desktop picture from desktop preferences and use it for a fake desktop view.. With one button on one corner to hide the window, it could be useful.

Well, I want to create the least amount of intererence with the desktop as possible, and also consume no system resources.

This is really the best way to do it, I think.

EDIT:

If it needs to have a cool name, I'll call it Derange 1.0b-derange being desktop arrange. Sorta cheesy, but works.

Thank you for the effort, anyway. These are cool. :)

Well, it's the best I can do, and honestly, I think the best that can be done with my limited knowledge of AppleScript.

And the joy of it being Open-Source is that it's free for anyone who knows more than my to modify.

:)

I hope you guys like 'em, I worked on them for a good long while.

Bump, just wanted to see if anyone was using this or not.

Seems like a couple people used it and liked it so far-any major problems that I need to fix?

You can now set spacing on the x axis for the icons when you arrange them.

This'll be in the next release, which will be much more impressive than the previous two. :)