Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

ham4ever

613 posts in this topic

64-bit kernel, Delta?

Maybe it's just the dyld indeed... that would be good news.

64-bit Sinetek. Also tried with AnV 10.6.8 legacy custom dyld -> Input/output error?

No idea what it means, but it still doesn't run.

Haven't tested Nawcom's kernel.

Has anyone tried with SL dyld?

Has anyone tried with SL dyld?

Maybe... Can't remember. I'll test with it soon! :)

And here is a picture proofing that the kernel does try to launch the launchd (in this case tiny, and it fails on AMD).

You can see pid 1 exited(signal 0, exit 42) there!

And the tiny returns 42! :D

scGiZ.jpg

We have more info now!

The problem isn't in the kernel anymore! (hoping so...)

Kernel can launch & execute the "tiny" test program, even when compiled as 64-bit and coded in C (dyld needed).

So... problem is maybe in dyld, launchd itself (SSSE3, cpuid?) or the SSSE3 emulator.

I'll try to boot with the SL dyld now. If it gets stuck @ same point, wouldn't that mean that dyld (or some part of it) is out of calculations?

Not necessarily...

It could be apple added features to dyld...

Not checked sources yet though...

Not necessarily...

It could be apple added features to dyld...

Not checked sources yet though...

Yep, still stuck after Kernel is LP64. The problem seems to be in launchd (cpuids) or the emulator. The kernel can launch "tiny" compiled with gcc 64-bit.

And dyld should be used to launch it:

sh-3.2# otool -L tiny
tiny:
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)

Hi,

there has been an unprecedented demand for the patchset, so here it is,

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8x74vl

There are some parts missing, but the important bits for x86_64 should be in there.

Additionally, you will need to apply the patches for CPUID patching otherwise the famous hang after "Kernel is LP64" occurs.

More to come.

-- Sinetek

I knew I forgot something, here are the sources to the opcode emulator.

It might require more work...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p5fz8o

Shouldn't this be in SL topic? 1504 is 10.6.x?

Hello, people!

Well, our experiments of yesterday kind of pointed at launchd as the culprit for our troubles booting Lion on AMD, and ruled out dyld. Why does it fail to run properly? Is it something inside launchd itself, or something the kernel fails to provide for it? I tend to the first answer, and intend to focus on fix launchd.

The problem is, i'm having hard times compiling: the sources available at www.opensource.apple.com come bundled as a Xcode project, and this project fails to boot, whatever version of Xcode i use. Something related to Core Foundations dependencies, and it seems these dependencies aren't available for download anywhere. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Best regards!

Fails to provide for it: maybe but unlikely as the kernel works on Intel...

It must be something else...

Why doesn't apple just introduce a driver called AppleSabotage.kext lol X-)

• Like 1

Fails to provide for it: maybe but unlikely as the kernel works on Intel...

It must be something else...

Why doesn't apple just introduce a driver called AppleSabotage.kext lol X-)

:D Something else than kernel? SSSE3 emu (test with Pentium 4 or old Celeron)? Launchd / CPUID

We could try it... 64bit non SSSE3 cpu Intel for the test...

We could try it... 64bit non SSSE3 cpu Intel for the test...

I can try to find one... I have thousands of old computers around my house... :D

Most AMD, few Intel (netbook, but Atom with SSSE3)... Maybe in some of my closets I can find a celeron or pentium 4 machine. :)

EDIT: sorry, but I can't find any bootable ones... All broken or something... :/

Will make MyHack USB and test now. Will report back :)

Good. If it gets stuck after "Kernel is LP64", and on the same messages as with AMD, it is something NOT related to CPUIDs (someone confirm this... ?),

but something like the SSSE3 or other general things that prevent it working right.

We have ruled out dyld and kernel problems. The problem must be in somewhere else...

Hopefully it will work on P4 (which would mean CPUIDs?).

Still testing it out to see if it stays booted etc and will then post the kernel =]

Stayed booted stable for 40 minutes. Still some graphics problems for nVidia but I'm not sure how to fix that.

All the credit goes to Bronzovka, Andy and Sinetek. I just merged the diff's and built the kernel :)

Boot using -nossse3bit as it need Andy's part of the kernel ;)

Lion.png

legacy_kernel.zip

x86_64_Lion.patch.zip

• Like 6

Still testing it out to see if it stays booted etc and will then post the kernel =]

Stayed booted stable for 40 minutes. Still some graphics problems for nVidia but I'm not sure how to fix that.

All the credit goes to Bronzovka, Andy and Sinetek. I just merged the diff's and built the kernel :)

post-707419-0-94355500-1357319671_thumb.png

legacy_kernel.zip

x86_64_Lion.patch.zip

this kernel is full 64 bits in Lion ?

no need for 32 bit finder ?

this kernel is full 64 bits in Lion ?

no need for 32 bit finder ?

Yes its x86_64. I have not tried replacing the Finder with the original but I don't see why you can't put the original one back now. I forgot it needed the 32-bit one before.

• Like 1

post-707419-0-94355500-1357319671_thumb.png

legacy_kernel.zip

x86_64_Lion.patch.zip

How did you get launchd to start up like that?!? Black magic?

Anyway, seeing as I'm posting with that kernel, I think we can say that Lion (full 64-bit) is working on AMD! Congratz! :D

EDIT: Preview won't launch... Anyway, who cares? It booted! :D

post-969896-0-04766700-1357370962_thumb.png

Hi all!

I know one thing that's been missing from our testing is a legacy 64-bit Intel CPU, so I proudly introduce a 3.4 GHz Intel Pentium D!

With R:A:W:X86's lion kernel, instant reboot.

With The Connactic's connactic, it hangs at BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2.

With Deltac0's lion-test-16, it shows that wierd debug screen and hangs at Kernel is LP64.

With AnV's anv_32_64, it hangs at Kernel is LP64.

With IiTz ShAnE's kernel from above, it boots right to desktop with no issues whatsoever. (arch=x86_64, of course)

Hi all!

I know one thing that's been missing from our testing is a legacy 64-bit Intel CPU, so I proudly introduce a 3.4 GHz Intel Pentium D!

With R:A:W:X86's lion kernel, instant reboot.

With The Connactic's connactic, it hangs at BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2.

With Deltac0's lion-test-16, it shows that wierd debug screen and hangs at Kernel is LP64.

With AnV's anv_32_64, it hangs at Kernel is LP64.

With IiTz ShAnE's kernel from above, it boots right to desktop with no issues whatsoever. (arch=x86_64, of course)

It boots on a Pentium D? I couldn't get it to boot on a P4..