iMessage not working - iCloud/Internet etc working - Changed boot.plist file and network.plist file - Help

hamzab

418 posts in this topic

OK guys, I also got it working as well. My mistake was that I was removing the /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib after the creation of nvram.XXXXX.plist in /Extra. It appears that for this to work, you need it permanently running in /Extra/modules/ ?

However, I got two questions, hope to get a reply from you:

1. Did you notice that now, with the presence of /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib, chameleon always boots in -v verbose mode, even without the -v flag set in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

meklort, did you perhaps do this forced, due to the use of FileNVRAM.dylib? Or did it keep in the settings the fact that I forced-booted -v myself? I am using the latest chameleon r2181 from svn...

2. I setup my serial number OK using the command:

sudo nvram BIG-KEY-FROM-NVRAM-FILE:MLB=SMBIOSERIAL123456

but whe I tried setting the MAC address of my ethernet card by using:

sudo nvram BIG-KEY-FROM-NVRAM-FILE:ROM=%00%04%1e%fa%e1%01

the result later when running nvram -px is not the string I entered, but something else like a cropped string such as "%00$%1e%fa%e1Q". Is this normal?

Anyone, guys?

However, experimenting with a solution kinda screwed up my other Apple device logins, e.g. my iPad and MacBook Pro. I logged out and re-logged in to see what happens, and it failed the first time ;-)

the result later when running nvram -px is not the string I entered, but something else like a cropped string such as "%00$%1e%fa%e1Q". Is this normal?

Yes.

By the way, you can always copy nvram.xxxx.plist to Desktop and then open it in some plist editor and then check if MAC address bytes are correct in there.

OK guys, I also got it working as well. My mistake was that I was removing the /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib after the creation of nvram.XXXXX.plist in /Extra. It appears that for this to work, you need it permanently running in /Extra/modules/ ?

Yes, you need the module installed for the module to work.

However, I got two questions, hope to get a reply from you:

1. Did you notice that now, with the presence of /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib, chameleon always boots in -v verbose mode, even without the -v flag set in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

The module causes the boot-args to be saved and restored automatically on reboot. You may change this by using the nvram command or by updating the boot args in the boot console.

2. I setup my serial number OK using the command:

sudo nvram BIG-KEY-FROM-NVRAM-FILE:MLB=SMBIOSERIAL123456

The value you listed corresponds to what you entered. You can also use the following command to get a human readable representation:

sudo defaults read /Extra/nvram*

thanks!! i modified my apple id account from NONE to VISA cc,and it worked!! just activated on hacintosh without a login onto ios devices!!

This help me as well, with the presence of /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib and new chameleon v2.2 r.2181 :)

Guys thank you both for your reply, especially meklort (it's been a long time since our last talk about Dell Mini 10v... did that project die, anyway?)

I re-did the whole procedure as an exercise. Now, I didn't touch the uuid:ROM value and the default displayed with nvram -px is: %00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00

That's 13 hex digits. Perhaps we should enter the ethernet MAC address like the serial, i.e. adding zeros at the end or in the beginning? Just speculating. Otherwise, you confirm that %hex%hex etc. is the correct way to put it in?

meklort, will this functionality for the new, idiotic restriction from Apple (trying perhaps to block hackintoshes) be included in chameleon without later the need for FileNVRAM.dylib perhaps? Does a new improved version of FileNVRAM.dylib exists as a branch? BTW, I think must ask you to add some linefeed/newline character in your plist tags ;-)

Thanks to all for your input. Glad to be part of the community.

I tried everything, changed my system-id value, changed serial, changed macmodel, created brand new apple id, always getting the "this apple id can't be used with imessage" error... :(

And I found something interesting.... by default, my system-id value was 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00XXXXXXXXXX (X-s are my MAC address)

Then I changed it with "SystemId" via boot.plist... my system-id value changed nicely to the own custom uuid.

BUT the nvram plist file name is still getting the nvram.00000000-0000-0000-0000-00XXXXXXXXXX.plist filename... But I thought it should be equal to the system-id value...

(I checked system-id by this command: ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id)

So my question is... why my nvram plist file getting the zeros and my mac address, and not my systemid as filname?

iMessage unexpectedly started working on my MacPro 1,1 (2006) last Friday. The vulture knows why. It remains active even after reboot with chameleon 2.2svn r2181. Nice!

I had a credit card registered before and re-registered the same card sometime last week. I cannot exclude that this did the trick, but it seems rather odd.

iMessage unexpectedly started working on my MacPro 1,1 (2006) last Friday. The vulture knows why. It remains active even after reboot with chameleon 2.2svn r2181. Nice!

I had a credit card registered before and re-registered the same card sometime last week. I cannot exclude that this did the trick, but it seems rather odd.

Maybe the credit card did make sense!

I tried it now on a second Mac Pro (at work). This time, the 2,1 model from 2007. Here, I cannot sign in (Chameleon 2.2 svn 2181. It worked twice for a period of less then 1-2 minutes, after which I was "kicked out". Will be interesting to see what the status will be on the 2006 MacPro when I get home.

It stopped working on the MacPro 1,1 (2006) after several days :(

Correction: After a second reboot it is active again on the older 2006 model. Not sure whether it will remain stable.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a bad link, but I was able to get everything working after I edited my DSDT ethernet card info using your guide here (thanks!). I can login/logout all day long, no issues. :)

Thanks for letting me know about the link. I fixed it:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/os-x-tweaks/how-to-create-a-recovery-partition-and-enable-all-features-of-icloud-and-imessages/

It finally works on both MacPros. I apologize, I should have followed the specific instructions for the outdated MacPros from 2006/2007 on Jabbawoks site precisely.

It's broken for me again.

Anyone else?

Please ensure that you are not following guides like the below the explicitly have you remove the imessage fix.

Rampage Dev: You are telling users to remove the iMessage fix, iMessage caches the login credential and it will timeout after a few weeks a break. Also, please remove the usage of the launch daemon / shutdown script as these negatively affect the FileNVRAM module. These scripts can and do cause issue where nvrma variables that where delted by the users later on resurface. The linked bug is a direct result of those scripts.

Thanks for letting me know about the link. I fixed it:

http://rampagedev.wo...-and-imessages/

Please ensure that you are not following guides like the below the explicitly have you remove the imessage fix.

Rampage Dev: You are telling users to remove the iMessage fix, iMessage caches the login credential and it will timeout after a few weeks a break. Also, please remove the usage of the launch daemon / shutdown script as these negatively affect the FileNVRAM module. These scripts can and do cause issue where nvrma variables that where delted by the users later on resurface. The linked bug is a direct result of those scripts.

Still works for me with no issues at all. I do not use the

FileNVRAM module only for the

setup so there is no conflict at all.

FileNVRAM module only for the

setup so there is no conflict at all.

The problem is that these values are read out *before* your script is executed. You must use the module to ensure that they are set. Additionally, you scripts only write at shutdown, they do not ensure variables are saved if there is a power loss, and they can cause various values that are set after you script runs to be lost.

I'm actually using the chameleon fix, as I asked on the forums if you could use clover without a theme(just text) and never got an answer. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286998-chameleon-imessage-fix-is-no-longer-working/

chameleon fix stopped working for me.

can i use clover without a theme?

Are we all against the so called chameleon fix?

Chameleon fix is still working fine for me. I think it's just a personal preference whether to use Chamleon + NVRAM module or Clover. I tried both, both worked but i'm more comfortable with Chameleon and Chameleon feels more stable at this point than Clover so i'm sticking with Chameleon.

• Like 1