Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Try using the correct slots for dual channel. At projectosx you said you have blue and white slots, place the modules in the same colour slots, be it white or blue (slots 1-3 are preferred).

Your wake issue is very common with Clover UEFI and it wasn't solved yet. There's a huge thread @projectosx about it.

Try using the correct slots for dual channel. At projectosx you said you have blue and white slots, place the modules in the same colour slots, be it white or blue (slots 1-3 are preferred).

Your wake issue is very common with Clover UEFI and it wasn't solved yet. There's a huge thread @projectosx about it.

Yes, dude. I placed them all into the white slots now. The sleep failure shows below.

Edited by Slice
too long

FakeSMCDevice: 5 keys exported by Clover EFI
SMC: successfully initialized
CPUSensors: CPU family 0x6, model 0x3a, stepping 0x9, cores 4, threads 4, TJmax 105
CPUSensors: setting platform to d8
console relocated to 0xf80000000
Sleep failure code 0x00000000 0x21006700

Above is the kernel boot message says Sleep failure code 0x00000000 0x21006700.

Below is boot log of Clover on mem and CPU.

Mem:

0:100  0:000  Starting rEFIt rev 1902 on American Megatrends EFI
0:100  0:000  SelfDevicePath=PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x0)/USB(0x1,0x0)/USB(0x8,0x0)/HD(1,MBR,0x00000000,0x1,0x1dc7ff) @D8DE4B18
0:100  0:000  SelfDirPath = \EFI\BOOT
0:101  0:001  Total Memory Slots Count = 4
0:101  0:000  Type 17 Index = 0
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Speed = 1600
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Size = 4096
0:101  0:000  Type 17 Index = 1
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Speed = 1600
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Size = 4096
0:101  0:000  Type 17 Index = 2
0:101  0:000  Ignoring insane frequency value 0MHz
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Speed = 0
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Size = 0
0:101  0:000  Type 17 Index = 3
0:101  0:000  Ignoring insane frequency value 0MHz
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Speed = 0
0:101  0:000  SmbiosTable.Type17->Size = 0
0:101  0:000  Boot status=0
0:101  0:000  Clover revision: 1902  running on To be filled by O.E.M

and

0:295  0:000  ScanSPD() start
0:295  0:000  SMBus CmdReg: 0x1
0:295  0:000  Scanning SMBus [8086:1E22], mmio: 0xF7E15004, ioport: 0xF040, hostc: 0x1
0:316  0:020  SPD[1]: Type 11 @0x51 
0:325  0:008  Using XMP Profile2, dropping previous frequency 1600MHz
0:325  0:000  DDR speed 1866MHz 
0:325  0:000  Slot: 1 Type 24 4096MB 1866MHz Vendor=Nanya Technology PartNo=M2X4G64CB8HG9N-DG SerialNo=09030005000A0402 
0:345  0:020  SPD[3]: Type 11 @0x53 
0:354  0:008  Using XMP Profile2, dropping previous frequency 1600MHz
0:354  0:000  DDR speed 1866MHz 
0:354  0:000  Slot: 3 Type 24 4096MB 1866MHz Vendor=Nanya Technology PartNo=M2X4G64CB8HG9N-DG SerialNo=0C0B0005000A0405 
0:481  0:127  ScanSPD() end
0:481  0:000  Calibrated TSC frequency =3403812520 =3403MHz

CPU:

0:295  0:001  CPU Vendor = 756E6547 Model=306A9
0:295  0:000  The CPU supported turbo
0:295  0:000  BrandString = Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
0:295  0:000  non-usable FLEX_RATIO = F0000
0:295  0:000  corrected FLEX_RATIO = E0000
0:295  0:000  FSBFrequency=105MHz
0:295  0:000  Corrected FSBFrequency=100MHz
0:295  0:000  Vendor/Model/Stepping: 0x756E6547/0x3A/0x9
0:295  0:000  Family/ExtFamily: 0x6/0x0
0:295  0:000  MaxDiv/MinDiv: 34.0/16
0:295  0:000  Turbo: 36/37/38/38
0:295  0:000  Features: 0xBFEBFBFF
0:295  0:000  Threads: 4
0:295  0:000  Cores: 4
0:295  0:000  FSB: 100 MHz
0:295  0:000  CPU: 3600 MHz
0:295  0:000  TSC: 3600 MHz
0:295  0:000  PIS: 400 MHz

Slepp and wake not working and the turbo seems partial working. Any fix with the sleep and turbo issue with Clover bootloader?

Attached with my DSDTs of original and modified ones.

DSDTS.zip

Your problem is well known

0:100  0:000  Starting rEFIt rev 1902 on American Megatrends EFI

If you started with CloverEFI (legacy boot as well as Chameleon) you will have good working sleep/wake. Did you try?

It is not depending on your DSDT or your memory detection. It is a problem of AMI UEFI.

Hello slice,

some thoughts about nvram:

I 'm using an uefi mainboard (MSI Z77A-G45) but I have some issues with the UEFI booting, so I boot the system with CloverEFI so far. If I understand correctly, in UEFI boot the system can directly read from and write to the native nvram from UEFI bios.

In CloverEFI the nvram is emulated and saved with some scripts in a file on shutdown, which is read on the next boot by clover and injected to the OS. This is done because the normal legacy bios doesn't have native nvram. Is it correct so far? 

Is it possible to use the native uefi nvram while booting CloverEFI? 

I would like to install Clover manually as described in the documentation (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?do=findComment&comment=1852922).

However, I couldn't find the required files - the download on sourceforge only contains a .pkg file.

- A more up-to-date wiki is here (just spreading the word)

- You may extract the files from the pkg using Pacifist.

- A more up-to-date wiki is here (just spreading the word)

- You may extract the files from the pkg using Pacifist.

Hi,

unpacking it created a big mess of files:

AltBoot.pkg               Clover_v2_r1902.pkg             FSInject-64.pkg       os_one.pkg                         pt-BR.lproj                    UsbMouseDxe-64.pkg

applestyle.pkg            Conclusion.html                 FSInject-64.UEFI.pkg  OsxAptioFixDrv-64.pkg              pt.lproj                       Utils.pkg

background.tiff           CsmVideoDxe-64.pkg              hr.lproj              OsxFatBinaryDrv-32.UEFI.pkg        rc.scripts.core.pkg            VBoxExt2-32.pkg

BiosBoot.pkg              DataHubDxe-64.pkg               iclover.pkg           OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.UEFI.pkg        rc.scripts.on.all.volumes.pkg  VBoxExt2-64.pkg

black_green.pkg           de.lproj                        id.lproj              OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.pkg             rc.scripts.on.target.pkg       VBoxExt4-32.pkg

bluemac.pkg               Description.html                it.lproj              PackageInfo                        Resources                      VBoxExt4-64.pkg

Bom                       disable_sleep_proxy_client.pkg  ja.lproj              PartitionDxe-64.pkg                ru.lproj                       VboxHfs-32.UEFI.pkg

boot0af.pkg               Distribution                    ko.lproj              Payload                            Scripts                        VboxHfs-64.UEFI.pkg

boot0ss.pkg               EFIFolder.pkg                   Localizable.strings   pl.lproj                           Scripts.unp                    Welcome.html

bootcamp.pkg              EmuVariableUefi-64.pkg          magnifico.pkg         Post.pkg                           Target.ESP.pkg                 XhciDxe-32.pkg

bootNo.pkg                en.lproj                        metal.pkg             Pre.pkg                            thinkpad.pkg                   XhciDxe-64.pkg

cloverEFI.32.pkg          es.lproj                        mrengles.pkg          Ps2KeyboardDxe-32.pkg              [TOC].xml                      zh_CN.lproj

cloverEFI.64.blockio.pkg  fr.lproj                        nl.lproj              Ps2MouseAbsolutePointerDxe-32.pkg  UEFI.only.pkg                  zh_TW.lproj

cloverEFI.64.sata.pkg     FSInject-32.pkg                 orange.pkg            Ps2MouseDxe-32.pkg                 uk.lproj

CloverPrefpane.pkg        FSInject-32.UEFI.pkg            os_box.pkg            Ps2MouseDxe-64.pkg                 UsbMouseDxe-32.pkg

Not sure how to deal with that...

It is a real pain in the ass to unpack these files on any linux OS.

- First, you are going to need "xar" which is not available on ubuntu 12.04 and debian squeezy/wheezy anymore.

- Second, when unpacking the .pkg using 'xar -x -f Clover.pkg', it creates a bunch of folders which only contain the files "Bom", "PackageInfo" and "Payload"

- these files need to be extracted once again.

It would be really good if there was a simple .zip archive available. Also, if there was an installation script using /bin/sh and normal POSIX-tools it would be much easier to install it from linux. The current .pkg installation script is completely locked to OS X.

After extracting BiosBoot.pkg/Payload I got the following files:

./EFIROOTDIR
./EFIROOTDIR/EFI
./EFIROOTDIR/EFI/CLOVER
./EFIROOTDIR/EFI/CLOVER/doc
./EFIROOTDIR/EFI/CLOVER/doc/Installation.txt
./usr/standalone
./usr/standalone/i386
./usr/standalone/i386/x64
./usr/standalone/i386/x64/boot7
./usr/standalone/i386/x64/boot6
./usr/standalone/i386/boot1h
./usr/standalone/i386/boot1h2
./usr/standalone/i386/ia32
./usr/standalone/i386/ia32/boot3
./usr/standalone/i386/boot0ss
./usr/standalone/i386/Installation.txt
./usr/standalone/i386/Description.txt
./usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32alt
./usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32
./usr/standalone/i386/boot0af
./usr/standalone/i386/boot0md

however, all the other files which usually are placed inside of /EFI/ are missing. Where can I find these? (Again, a simple .zip would make everything much easier.)

Hello slice,

some thoughts about nvram:

I 'm using an uefi mainboard (MSI Z77A-G45) but I have some issues with the UEFI booting, so I boot the system with CloverEFI so far. If I understand correctly, in UEFI boot the system can directly read from and write to the native nvram from UEFI bios.

In CloverEFI the nvram is emulated and saved with some scripts in a file on shutdown, which is read on the next boot by clover and injected to the OS. This is done because the normal legacy bios doesn't have native nvram. Is it correct so far? 

Is it possible to use the native uefi nvram while booting CloverEFI? 

It is correct.

It seems to be possible to get access to native nvram while booting by CloverEFI. Just some programming effort required. And it is not one-line change.

I would like to install Clover manually as described in the documentation (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?do=findComment&comment=1852922).

However, I couldn't find the required files - the download on sourceforge only contains a .pkg file.

You may download BootableISO that contains all you need.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Bootable_ISO/

You may download BootableISO that contains all you need.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Bootable_ISO/

This is just what I was looking for. Thanks!

I would like to start Clover (mbr-version) from grub2. I got the EFI&BOOT folders, boot0af, boot1f32alt and boot on a FAT32 usb stick. Partition is being marked as active.

Chainloading 'boot' doesn't work, it gives me a 'invalid signature' error. When chainloading or boot0af or boot1f32alt I just get a blinking prompt. (seems to be stuck, nothing happens for >30 seconds).

Multibotting chameleons 'boot' works without any problems, however clover's boot doesn't seem to contain valid multiboot headers so I can't multiboot it. Another good reason to get this working is that it enables users to boot clover with any syslinux derivate (for example pxelinux) using the mboot.c32 module and any other bootloaders implementing multiboot.

You can find infos about multiboot here http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html

As chameleon already has it implemented, you can probably copy most of it, the relevant files probably are multiboot.h, mboot.h and mboot.c.

Would be great if you could implement this, or is there another way to chainload/multiload clover? Thanks!

I am having an issue with Haswell and Mavericks.

I prefer Clover EFI because I can use my bluetooth keyboard in the EFI setup screen (what is the proper name of EFI BIOS?).

However, Mavericks and Mountain Lion cannot boot with Clover. It will just show a black screen as soon as it is done finishing with loading the kernel cache. This does not happen in Chameleon, but it is the only solution to this issue.

My specs are in my sig.

I have also written boot1h to the partition bootsectors of my os x partition and tried to chainload the PBR using `chainloader +1`. This also only generates a blinking prompt.

Did you take into account that boot1h from Chameleon can load only 440kb while Clover is 483kb?

This is why Clover repo contains own versions of boot* files.

Did you take into account that boot1h from Chameleon can load only 440kb while Clover is 483kb?

This is why Clover repo contains own versions of boot* files.

Yes, I used boot1h from Clover r1902. Any ideas why chainloading the pbr doesn't work? Also, did you think about making stage 2 multiboot compatible?

Edit: Not sure how much you know about grub. The 'chainloader +1' command I mentioned before does load the first sector of the partition. See http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#chainloader

Edit2: Did further testing. Chainloading boot1f32alt does work, chainloading boot1h doesn't work though... (Yes, it is on a HFS partition) My Mac OS X partition is a logical one, but that shouldn't matter since the root device is already selected when stage 1 is executed, right? Any ideas?

It seems to be possible to get access to native nvram while booting by CloverEFI. Just some programming effort required. And it is not one-line change.

Automatic detection of native nvram would be a really nice feature. I hope this idea lands somehow in your list :-)

Yes, I used boot1h from Clover r1902. Any ideas why chainloading the pbr doesn't work? Also, did you think about making stage 2 multiboot compatible?

Edit: Not sure how much you know about grub. The 'chainloader +1' command I mentioned before does load the first sector of the partition. See http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#chainloader

Edit2: Did further testing. Chainloading boot1f32alt does work, chainloading boot1h doesn't work though... (Yes, it is on a HFS partition) My Mac OS X partition is a logical one, but that shouldn't matter since the root device is already selected when stage 1 is executed, right? Any ideas?

I know nothing about grub but I know all about sequence MBR boot sector -> PBR boot sector -> boot file in the partition.

chainloading boot1h must work same way as boot1w32. There are same technologies just different FS drivers.

I don't know what is mean "multiboot compatible". It seems to be grub specific and has no relation to boot1h.

Automatic detection of native nvram would be a really nice feature. I hope this idea lands somehow in your list :-)

Hoping is not hard work.

Hi,

I know nothing about grub but I know all about sequence MBR boot sector -> PBR boot sector -> boot file in the partition.

chainloading boot1h must work same way as boot1w32. There are same technologies just different FS drivers.

Chainloading boot1f32alt does work, boot1h doesn't. Any ideas on that? Maybe you can install a simple ubuntu or other linux distro which uses grub in a VM and test this?

I don't know what is mean "multiboot compatible". It seems to be grub specific and has no relation to boot1h.

You can find information about the multiboot specification (including sample code) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiboot_Specification - http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html

As it is already implemented in chameleon it shouldn't be too hard to port it to clover I think.

But sorry, documentation is very large. What should I read about the problem?

Clover uses the same boot0, boot1h, boot as Chameleon. If it is implemented in Chameleon why not in Clover?

The real difference is in boot1h 

Chameleon's

kBoot2Sectors		EQU		(448 * 1024 - 512) / kSectorBytes	; max size of 'boot' file in sectors

For Clover I change 448 -> 472

Is it multiboot violation?

I encountered an issue that I cannot save my config.plist after upgrading to later clover build. How many times I saved my config file and restart, the config file doesn't change. I tried install on an USB using my backup but seems clover load the default config file somewhere else. Anyone encounter same issue?

I encountered an issue that I cannot save my config.plist after upgrading to later clover build. How many times I saved my config file and restart, the config file doesn't change. I tried install on an USB using my backup but seems clover load the default config file somewhere else. Anyone encounter same issue?

The place for config.plist was changed in new revisions.

Now the path is /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist or may be OEM folder

/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/xxx/config.plist or

/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/xxx/UEFI/config.plist

The place for config.plist was changed in new revisions.

Now the path is /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist or may be OEM folder

/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/xxx/config.plist or

/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/xxx/UEFI/config.plist

I replaced 3 config.plist from backup as listed but no change. Every time I start up, options remain the same before I replace. However, when I check the 3 files, they were the version from my backup.