Intel Core 2 Duo

star123

16 posts in this topic

Hi!

I think it would be nice to start a thread about Intel Core 2 Duo and OSX86 to provide an overview

which kind of Intel Core 2 Duo based hardware (Mainboards, etc.) currently works under OSX86.

I'm looking forward to a lot of useful postings. :D

ive been currious of this myself, but from an overclocking standpoint.

Im building a budget performance system that Im hoping will have decient compatability with OSx86.

Im about a week away from purchasing the following:

E6400 core duo (x8 multi)

Gigabyte DS3 (the FSB can OC past 400-450 in most cases)

patriot 2 x 1gb (niiiice overclocker)

ive got both IDE and SATA drives avalable to me.

as far as graphics, Im thinking of going 7600gt, and when i find one cheap enough: a x1600 with QE, CI, and DVI port support.

Im hoping to hit 450fsb x 8cpu multi for a speed of roughly 3.6ghz...

the lack of cache on thie allendale processor accounts for at most 5-10% performance difference, if that. so dont discount it as a viable solution to buying a E6800 lol.. ill save my money and stomp on it with some good performance increases.

:D

Bofros has a rather extensive thread on this subject.

But so far if your building an all new system Zutldush's plan is pretty sound. Infact thats the setup I run except I have a 6300.

Zultdush don't get your hopes up on the OC. I'm stuck at a wall on 380fsb. Though I'm hearing it could be because of my PSU, the DS3 is a bit finicky with 'em.

I went to the safe side of things and brought thsi little marvelous mobo.

Absolutely compatible with OSX

Gigabyte ga-945p-s3 with an allendale 6400 now running a healthy 2.6ghz (i have been in 2.8 ghz, but i dont want to strees much my grahic card, PCI is now in 110)

read my sig for any details, im using patriot memory too.

I would nit recommend the 965 chipset yet it has some mayor incompatibilities with OSX.

Hi!

Are USB, Firewire, Network, and Sound supported by OSX86 when running a Gigabyte DS3 or

Gigabyte ga-945p-s3? According to aberracus, the latter one seems to need additional cards...

Kindly regards!

USB = yes

Firewire = should work although ds3 doesn't come with onboard firewire functionality

Network = yes (work right out of box)

Sound = yes (needs a simple editing)

The biggest problem in my case is the s-ata dvdrw drive..osx just won't see it at all.

I tried different ports and everything but to no avail.

So, if you're willing to use an external dvdrw drive, you can go for ds3

In fact, the board is just an awesome overclocker..mine is running at 475 fsb atm :(

Hi!

Well, according to this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ntel+core+2+duo

I will go for an ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe. Altough it is very expensive, it seems to be

a very good board. So I'm planing to buy

* ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

* DDR2-RAM KIT 1024 MB, PC2-1066 MHz, CL5, CORSAIR

* Sapphire Hybrid Radeon X1800 GTO

I hope that everything will work flawless with this config.

Kindly regards.

Hi Girls and Boys!

I bought the configuration mentioned above, except the GFX card (instead I ordered a ASUS EAX1600PRO with 512MB) and additional 1024GB (leading to 2048GB RAM). I bought also a water cooling system from www.ktc-cooling.at.

Summing up, everything works perfect under OSX. :) Fast, full GFX support (except DVI at the moment but I'm looking forward :D ). As soon I will find some time, I will post some benchmarks. Which tool should I use for this?

Kindly regards.

My system was kind of expensive but It runs just awesome. It runs anything made at faster than full speed in windows and everything works in os x too.

I would recommend every component I purchased. You could save a few hundred bucks by buying the x1900 256mb graphics card without giving up to much performance. Other than that everything is top of the line and priced within reason. The patriot ram I bought is now $100 dollars more so that is also something that might need to be looked at I guess.

I'll leave a newegg wishlist link if anyone is really interested in buying a top of the line system at a resonable price.

Keep in mind there is some tweaking that will need to be done and you'll need a circuit pen to overide the intel motherboards bios restrictions but it's really easy.

I'll put a link to my wishlist at newgg as soon as it is aproved.

Ok they aproved it finally heres the list. I paid a little less but this is still decent I think.

Newegg wishlist

P.S. Despite some sort of bug with xbench giving me super low scores on my hard drive I got a total score of 165.

Next upgrade raid 10,000 rpm hard drives :)

ive been currious of this myself, but from an overclocking standpoint.

Im building a budget performance system that Im hoping will have decient compatability with OSx86.

Im about a week away from purchasing the following:

E6400 core duo (x8 multi)

Gigabyte DS3 (the FSB can OC past 400-450 in most cases)

The DS3 is i965? = ICH8 = no SATA

I expect there are some workarounds etc but I'm not sure.

I've just ordered a system similar to what you have said - E6400 + P5W DH + X1900XT

Have seen people hit high FSB (541) on the P5W DH & it's i975x (ICH7R) which is supported by OSX. I will be overclocking the system.

Should be arriving tomorrow ;)

Hi!

Well, according to this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ntel+core+2+duo

I will go for an ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe. Altough it is very expensive, it seems to be

a very good board. So I'm planing to buy

* ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

* DDR2-RAM KIT 1024 MB, PC2-1066 MHz, CL5, CORSAIR

* Sapphire Hybrid Radeon X1800 GTO

I hope that everything will work flawless with this config.

Kindly regards.

I've got almost that config (see my signature). The only thing not working is my vga card (is working but without QE).

SATA, onboard LAN and sound works (sound need a small terminal fix you can find here at the forum).

I think if you are able to make this Radeon X1800 working with QE you'll have a perfect Hackingtosh rig. In my case I'm still waiting for a better driver from MacVidia :2cents:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone tried 965 mobo's with PATA support ?

Intel DG965 GF, CO, WH, MQ, OT, SS, MS, RY boards

Dual channel DDR2 800 & GMA x3000 or 3000

Performance : Gaming and Media, Creation Home / Lifestyle catagory.

I think with these boards you won't experience SATA DVD or Audio Problems.