VESA 3 fix for boot sector.

trac

100 posts in this topic

My friend just installed the DVD last night. Load it clean, and then add "Graphics Mode" = "whatever" to boot.plist. Works like a charm

What kind of Graphics Card? Which osX version? Which install dvd?

There are lots of people here, waiting for solution, so please give us some more details! :)

My friend just installed the DVD last night. Load it clean, and then add "Graphics Mode" = "whatever" to boot.plist. Works like a charm

No, that doesn't work for most people, hence this thread! :) It only works on a very limited number of setups, eg. Intel 915 graphics.

Hello

I wonder if anyone could help ... I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong here.

I'm booting with the Darwin CD. My OSx86 partition is disk0s1. I have TRAC's BOOT file on a FAT32 USB drive which is disk1s1.

Following macgirl's instruction previously, I type

mount -uw /

which results in

disk2s1s2: device is write locked

launchd: mkdir("/var/launchd") No space left on device

and then

mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mnt

results in lots more

and

I imagine this is because what I'm trying to do with the mount command effectively makes disk1s1 (my USB HDD) accessible in the CD-ROM's file structure in the folder /mnt and the CD-ROM (disk2s1s2?) is obviously read only?

Apologies in advance - I know I must be doing something rather stupid as the rest of the world seems to be able to mount USB hard disks after booting from CD. And thanks in advance too, if anyone can point out where I'm going wrong.

Hello

I wonder if anyone could help ... I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong here.

I'm booting with the Darwin CD. My OSx86 partition is disk0s1. I have TRAC's BOOT file on a FAT32 USB drive which is disk1s1.

Following macgirl's instruction previously, I type

mount -uw /

which results in

and then

mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mnt

results in lots more

and

I imagine this is because what I'm trying to do with the mount command effectively makes disk1s1 (my USB HDD) accessible in the CD-ROM's file structure in the folder /mnt and the CD-ROM (disk2s1s2?) is obviously read only?

Apologies in advance - I know I must be doing something rather stupid as the rest of the world seems to be able to mount USB hard disks after booting from CD. And thanks in advance too, if anyone can point out where I'm going wrong.

I still can't work it out. TIA to anyone with helpful hints...

• 2 weeks later...
It is on the Darwin 8.0.1 CD, in /usr/sbin/startupfiletool, and the deadmoo image put it there as well. Not in the release1 DVD though, so deadmoo must have added it later.

Well I have the deadmoo image, but I cannot find it on there. Can someone post the startupfiletool for me ?

I am currently running 10.4.3....i suppose it should still work with this version ?

TIA!

Edited by bakman

The 10.4.3 has a new boot files, so you need to recompile them.

In any case the new 10.4.3 has not the same problem of rebooting as the 10.4.1 boot files do when you put a higher refresh rate than 60.

The 10.4.3 has a new boot files, so you need to recompile them.

In any case the new 10.4.3 has not the same problem of rebooting as the 10.4.1 boot files do when you put a higher refresh rate than 60.

It is very unfortunate then I guess, my Radeon X800pro is recognized as a VESA3.0, and now runs on 1280x1024x32, but I cannot change the refresh rate without ending up with the display mismatch B) (I am using a CRT screen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Download this file: http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/tarball...boot-122.tar.gz, then unzip and untar, edit the graphics.c file, then do a make in the root directory of boot-122.

Then put the resulting boot file (which is in boot-122/sym/i386/boot) on a floppy or usb drive boot with the Darwin CD or Install DVD in single user mode, then mount the floppy / usb drive and use "startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY <mount point of floppy or usb>/boot"

X is the pysical drive and Y is the partition number of your MacOSX.

Hi,

I downloaded the file, unpacked, edited the graphics.c file, but when I did a make, I obtained the following error (see in the attached text).

Where I'm wrong?

Error.rtf

Edited by XanthraX

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I used startuptool and all that, and I type -x Graphics Mode=1024x768x32@85 Platform=X86PC

Then I get the 85 refresh rate, but it goes into safe boot so I have no networking or anything. Any suggestions?

Oh and I already installed the SSE2 patch from the wiki, would that make a difference?

• 8 months later...

HI!

I post here cause i think this thread needs an update (last post is from beginning of 2006). Id really like to have the following questions answered somehow.

- Does this method still work with 10.4.6 or will it ruin your system?

- Where can i get startupfiletool, and is it really needed, maybe theres another way to do this...

- is there another way to solve the "VESA 60hz Problem", so many users with CRTs have ?

I think if this works and can be somehow put in an easie way to install, so that it somehow gets "userfriendly" (meaning follow a guide step by step and your good to go), then it would help many ppl who are using x86 on VESA and are suffering from 60hz.

Any help's appreciated!

thx

• 3 years later...