VESA 3 fix for boot sector.

trac

100 posts in this topic

Trac,

the refresh rate fix works fine for me and then I changed the boot to try to fix the problem of the black&white colors above 1024x768. I discovered that some GeForces doesnt support 32bit VESA modes above 1024x768, only 16 bit modes, but darwin boot cannot detect these modes because it only works with 16 bit modes like 5 / 5 / 5 bits (5 bits for each basic colors) and Geforce uses the 5 / 6 / 5 (6 bits for green) model instead. So, even patching the boot file to detect 5 / 6 / 5, the display doesnt show the colors correctly. Now, instead of a black&white desktop, I have colors with a moiré (pattern effect). The display settings shows "1280x1024 thousands of colors", but its a almost unusable mode. As 1024x768@85 is now aceptable for me, I'll stay waiting for the people at macvidia for a driver version that supports more higher modes.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your contribution with the refresh rate fix!

Compiles fine....It acts like it works, bu it doesn't do anything.

ow yer it runs fine; I know it doesnt fix the refresh-rate-issue

When I was browsing I just stumbled upon it; might be handy for someone to use, if he uses a kvm-switch for example.

Dont expect miracles; I just thought it was a fun and easy app to mention, nothing more ;)

can this changes described here help people like me who got stuck without QE due to darwin boot loader reporting only 7 mb of vesa 3 gfx memory? some ppl suggested rebooting into windows and than back into osx, this would help them (windows assigns video ram AND keeps it after reboot..hmm..didnt work for asus m2n notebook users and others.) talking to asus they said the current (latest) bios version supports linux assigning at least 11 mb of video ram, but obviously this doesnt apply to osx.

so maybe changes in the bootloader can help? any clues would be greatly appreciated from all of us!

Hello all,

I have GeForce 2 MX, I used pre-compiled boot(.txt) with startupfiletool command. To my surprise "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@85" worked, but then the disappointment came - I was able to see the apple screen, but OS X didn't load completely. I turned on verbose and it got stuck at "AppleGenericPCATADriver ... ". If I wait long enough (like 30 sec), it says "still waiting for root device ..." I tested the same installation in VMware and it worked ... Obviously the ATA driver for VMware and my motherboard are different, but it worked well before patching with boot file.

I hope someone can help me,

Thank you

can this changes described here help people like me who got stuck without QE due to darwin boot loader reporting only 7 mb of vesa 3 gfx memory? some ppl suggested rebooting into windows and than back into osx, this would help them (windows assigns video ram AND keeps it after reboot..hmm..didnt work for asus m2n notebook users and others.) talking to asus they said the current (latest) bios version supports linux assigning at least 11 mb of video ram, but obviously this doesnt apply to osx.

so maybe changes in the bootloader can help? any clues would be greatly appreciated from all of us!

Amen to that! I'm one of the handful of people that has been struggling with this. If only there was some way to get Darwin to dynamically allocate the needed amount of memory to load QE and CI. Coders HELP!!!!

Been long time following this and never posted, but for what i have seen seems that darwin boot has the vbe driver that calculates the crtc timings and gets the resolution and the refresh rates (i don't know from where it takes them, /boot2/graphics.c or /libsaio/vbe.c ) and for what it seems osx don't loads any driver more. Maybe adding these timings manually would help to get these refresh rates and widescreen resolutions? (i would have tried for myself, but i'm not coder, osx broke yesterday and no developer tools installed)

Using windows to allocate the video ram, should be a good idea but when you reboot i suppose that the vbe driver will reallocate it, getting again these 7 mb

Weird thing I noticed...

On my laptop with a Mobility 7500, I can do "Graphics Mode..." to any supported widescreen rsolution. Regardless if I have it's hooked to my WS LCD, or running the laptop display.

On my PC with a 9700, it only goes up to 1280x1024. Would think it'd be the other way around with the 9700 being a new(er) card n all...

Did the things below and it didn't screw my startup. I'm still able to boot with another boot file in /usr/standalone/i386. Don't forget to

chown root:wheel boot

to set the correct permissions. I used the following below from the quote and the resulting boot file has less KB's compared with the original one and my system is still booting but if I set a higher resolution it won't work and ?video doesn't show 1280x800x32 as well. I don't care about the 60 hz limit as my notebook can't go higher anyway using the GeForce FX GO 5700. But of course I want to have the maximum resolution this notebook is capable of and that's 1280x800x32. This didn't work with the below "solution" for me sadly....

Regards

Jordan

jordan where do i find the/i386 folder??thanx man

I just tried this and it works for me, thanks trac and macgirl!

I have a Geforce4 Ti 4200. I have OSX in a VMWare image, and OSX installed natively on a separate hard drive. I used VMWare and booted into single user mode (-s), with the physical drive connected in VMWare as macgirl said she did. I had trac's boot file on my VMWare install of OSX, so I cd'd to the directory where the boot file was then just did startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s1 boot , then booted off the physical disk. I then did platform=x86pc "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@85" and it works perfectly. I can't adjust the refresh rate within OSX itself but I am now at 85Hz, the picture is so much easier to look at plus my monitor's OSD confirms that it is 85Hz.

Excellent :angry:

I really need startupfiletool . Can someone post it here or send it to me. I have a native installation on my harddrive and there is no this tool. Thanks :)

Don't need the Darwin CD

just type -s after boot

and type

startuptool /dev/rdiskXsY <the directory you put the boot>/boot

X is the pysical drive and Y is the partition number of your MacOSX.

e.g.

my mac x86 on the first partition of my second disk

and I put the "boot" file in the directory of /clarkbigpie/ I made in the mac system partition

so I type

startuptool /dev/rdisk1s1 /clarkbigpie/boot

reboot

and my GF2 MX work well at 1024x768x32@85

I don't think there is a known solution yet. I can use 1280x1024x32 in VMWare fine, but natively 1024x768 is the highest I can go without it being 4-bit (?) colour (black & white).

If I do ?video at the boot menu it says that 1280x1024x16 is available (not 32) but when I select it, it is still black & white. I am using the Macvidia alpha driver as well btw.

I think we need to wait for someone to find a fix :)

type : ? video when you boot and you will see all the support mode of your card

In my GeForce 6800GT it says that I can but I'm asking this because in other Unixes I can't go further 1280x1024 without drivers, after installed their drivers (Linux, Solaris) I can pass the 1280x1024 barrier but without drivers 1280x1024 is the limit

...yes, it does work trac...a mac {inyourface edit) :( instead of creating a new boot and pointing the system to it, i simply edited the boot file the system already points to...although os x doesn't allow me to edit the file itself, using a copy i can replace it ...and now my system sees your generated boot...voila!

...as far as removing the boot file altogether, I'd assume the system would revert to default settings without it

(ie: on my machine, 1024x768x32)refresh n/a at 1280x1024x32 still no refresh option...but neither do I in WinBloze either...

where do you find the boot file the system already points to

doesn't work!!

first... if i use darwin, it spits a lot of errors , also it can't load extensions in -s mode, ends up in blocking the screen

the dev dvd doesn't have startupfiletool nor startuptool nor does mount floppy

so please , if you could make a clear "windoze-like" tutorial (most of us never touched linux or mac before)

i would of course apreciate if it didn't involve a vmware image ( i don't really see the point, if i installed native )

thank you in advance ...

i know that many of the non-lcd people in this forum would apreciate it :P