Hackintosh with this AMD build Possible?

jamesholt

19 posts in this topic

Hi , Just wanting to see if I could use this existing build or if I need to go shopping..

Thanks for looking

Computer:

Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

DirectX DirectX 11.0

Motherboard:

CPU Type HexaCore AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 3300 MHz (16.5 x 200)

Motherboard Name Asus M4A87TD/USB3 (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

Motherboard Chipset AMD 870, AMD K10

DIMM1: Kingston HyperX KHX1866C11D3/2G 2 GB DDR3-1866 DDR3 SDRAM (13-12-12-32 @ 933 MHz) (11-12-12-32 @ 933 MHz) (10-10-10-29 @ 848 MHz) (9-9-9-26 @ 763 MHz) (8-8-8-24 @ 679 MHz) (7-7-7-21 @ 594 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 509 MHz)

DIMM2: Kingston HyperX KHX1866C11D3/2G 2 GB DDR3-1866 DDR3 SDRAM (13-12-12-32 @ 933 MHz) (11-12-12-32 @ 933 MHz) (10-10-10-29 @ 848 MHz) (9-9-9-26 @ 763 MHz) (8-8-8-24 @ 679 MHz) (7-7-7-21 @ 594 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 509 MHz)

BIOS Type AMI (04/02/10)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:

Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 5570 (1024 MB)

3D Accelerator ATI Radeon HD 5570 (Redwood)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI Redwood/Madison/Capilano - High Definition Audio Controller

Audio Adapter VIA VT1818S @ ATI SB800 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:

IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Disk Drive ST31000528AS ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Optical Drive HP DVD Writer 1270d ATA Device

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Don't be that harsh with AMD, guys!

I have an Athlon II that used to run Lion. Only 32-bit and, since stock Finder is 64-bit, that really sucked. Downgraded to Snow Leopard and it runs just fine. Even sleep worked w/o issues. Geekbenchs higher than Windows7 too, so i went ahead and wiped Windows out. Therefore i recommend to install 10.6.8 (look for Devout's guide here on insanelymac) and be happy!

Via audio? Hmm, not good. Go for the HDMI of your GPU for audio, there's via kexts around but they also suck big time.

@eep357 why not recommended?

all i want to do is use it for some light photoshop, world of warcraft, and internet. not looking for a long term solution just trying to get used to mac before i buy a new one at tax time. they finally gave me a laptop for work so i dont need windows any more

@theconnactic i didnt think the audio would work i cant get that lucky. i will order a SSD friday and try this when it comes in. Snow leopard will be fine until tax time. do you know if the network adapter will work ok or should i order a card for that as well??

No love for AMD...lol.................just my luck 2 toshiba laptops, an alienware laptop, and home built desktop ALL AMD.... time for a sale on amazon..............

Although it's possible, there is undeniably a higher degree of difficulty involved in building and maintaining a functional AMD hackintosh vs. an Intel build. Additional care must also be taken for any OS updates that are installed. For a first build, which some find to be difficult even with Intel, it can often prove to be a bit too much. I'd warn anyone wanting to build a hackintosh even on very compatible Intel hardware, that there will be many hours of reading and learning involved along the way, and an even higher level of dedication for AMD. By all means if you want to work with what you have and enjoy tinkering with these type of things, it may be an enjoyable project for you, but I could not recommend it as a first time build. I'd think it's fair to say that most AMD/hackintosh users did not build their systems with the original intent to make it a hackintosh, it's just what they had available to work with.

• Like 1

depressing? nah ..you forget i have never used mac,, it will be interesting to learn,, lots of time spent screaming at the screen, :wallbash: ,,then in april (if i wait that long) i can get a nice shiny new one to sit next to this massive coolermaster tower :)

James, if you use IRC, add the chat room for AMD OSX users, #legacykernel, at the server irc.osx86.hu.

Hey, eep357, there's a lotta people that will swear that Snow Leopard is the best, the peak, crème de la crème of Mac OSX. Not depressing at all, unless James wants cloud services specific to iOS devices (otherwise, he can just use Skydrive). I really prefer Mountain Lion, but Snow Leo's a decent OS even by today's standards. :)

theconnactic i dont use irc, but i may look into that. been working on getting Snow installed on my alienware... got to the point of rebooting with apple screen showing.gonna just let it sit and see what happens.. time for work now so i will start again tommorrow fyi using the Hazard distro as I dont have a mac to make a disc with(yet)

Snow Leopard is quite possibly the most refined, well executed OS ever known to man kind. It was just the way you said "end of the road" that I jokingly thought sounded depressing :) It actually made me laugh though :)

• Like 1

hello

snow is like xp for windows users, that have a old pc, and can not run w7,

is like same post install ivy cpu and nvidia series 6xx cards in snow leopard, that is to laugh...

u know any mac with amd cpu ? what smbios u gonna use ?

to learn good but is the worst way to do it.....

but snow it work ... with a legacy_kernel (thanks nawcom and andy)

good hack to u

Possible, and maybe not even hard to do, but it's AMD... My first Hackintosh was AMD Phenom II 965 and Snow Leopard, which I then updated to Lion (32-bit only, Lion DP2 finder).

But 10.6.8 Snow Leopard should work fine with legacy_kernel and other additional things you need for AMD.

Artur, he'll use smbios for MacPro 2,1 and it will do just fine. :)

When i ran Lion on my AMD machine, i had all the features that would be possible in legacy mode, including fully working iCloud, but it was hard, very hard to do. On Snow Leopard, though, it's a cakewalk (no pun intended).

I liked your WindowsXP analogy. It's pretty much that.

P.S.: i fell like people here are much like used to the concept that AMD CPUs aren't only bad CPUs for hackint0sh, but just bad CPUs, period. This could be true in a comparative way since the Nehalem vs Athlon/Phenom II times, specially in the period Sandy Bridges competed with overpriced Bulldozers, but the plain fact is that, for the average user, there's no perceptible differences of performance, even for professional use. Besides that, AMD are really back on the game: The newer Piledriver CPUs consistently outperforms Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs in multithreaded tasks, which is going to be a strong selling point to them, paired with a reasonable pricing this time.

OK I have 10.6 installed and running on my alienware laptop no sound or network. got to find the build sheet for it to see what sound and network cards it has. Tried installing on my desktop with iAtkos,Kalyway and Hazard all three reboot after where you choose the boot options, so unless I am missing something my thinking is that this desktop setup is REALLY incompatible with OSX..Looks like I will play on the alien until tax time rolls around..unless I go to wally-world and get a cheapie..................... Oh well at least I got one system going

Looks like I spoke too soon. started the alien up today and it is hung at the bootloader. :wallbash:

says "starting darwin" and thats as far as it get.......................back to the reading

I have same cpu. I had a horrendous time getting it stable but finally did. 1st you will need Nawcoms boot cd and if you can't find that. I believe use the bootflag "busratio=25" I can double check once i get home and can try to help you but I don't have identical hardware