[Guide] ML 10.8.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

127 posts in this topic

Hi folks !

VoodooHDA issue solved !

Actually, the fix is already built-in the VoodooHDA kext. Just open the info.plist with Plist Editor Pro, look at the IOKitPersonnalities and under VoodooHDA, set VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix to Yes. Install the patched voodooHDA kext with Kext Utility and reboot.

Voilà ! Volume slider now works as it should !

He Polyzargone

Thanks for the fix i will try it tonight :)

hi Polyzargone'

after upgrading to 10.8.5 and using the nullpowerxxxx.kext it boots up from hdd. 

I still have to check if it wakes up as this was working before.

Only issue i have now is the constant audio volume but i will install your voodoo

which will hopefully also solve my problem.

Unfortunately i cant get my hp6l network printer to print as it is connected to a printserver

which obviously doesnt like the mountain lion :-)

Are there any tricks to print on this printer despite of the above facts ?

Hey Mr Wayne ;-)

Glad to hear that the NULLCPUPowerManagment.kext worked for you. For wake up and sleep, I never succed to make it works, if you find some fix, let me know (seems that the problem is related with the Elemur framebuffer). The voodooHDA trick should work with no problem, you can even install the latest one (VoodooHDA 2.8.4) with the same method.

How do you configure your access to the network printer ? If you didn't, try to add a new printer in the system preferences panel and specify that it's a Windows printer, it sould appears in the WORKGROUP section and, hopefully you'll be able to install the printer driver.

No as i dont get to that point where i need the driver.

I have a Longshine PS-110 printerserver with parallel connection to the HP6L.

The printserver supports Apple-Talk, but this is not supported anymore by 10.8.5 if

i am not wrong.

Is there any possibility to still use this printer ?

After some fittling around the HP6L is now printing...

I used the direct IP adress and have choosen HP4/HP5 printer driver.

Only drawback now is that the upper border is set qwrong, i.e. first half line

is missing on the printout, at least in outlook. I think word etc. is allowing

to set the borders of the printout, so it should not be a problem anymore.

Thanks for the input polyzargone !

• 2 months later...

So first I would like to introduce myself. as I am new to the forum but I have been reading and researching this for a few months now (probably since the last update)  I would like to say this is an awesome write up and very detailed.  You have designed a method that makes building a hackintosh very easy.

Next I would like to say that i've followed the step by step and read but it seems only one other person encountered the same problem as I did, yet they didn't care as much to follow through with asking questions.

So I am running 10.8.5 now sucessfully, but if I remove the bootable usb and try to run soley off the internall ssd I get 

boot0:  GPT

boot0: test

boot0:  test

boot0:  GPT

boot0: test

boot0:  test

boot0:  error

once I put the usb back in the computer I get the boot menu option with the usb and the ssd as bootables and I always choose the ssd and it loads no problem.  Did I miss reading something somewhere where it stated the usb will have to live plugged in the computer at all times to make it run?  Or am I doing something else wrong?

Secondly, as a mac guy I have a slew of applications (personally owned) that I have tried installing on the optiplex 780 with errors everytime; programs include:

ilife 11

ilife 9

toast 11 pro

etc

again am i missing something whilst installing applications?  Is there a work around instead of getting half way through the installation and it failing?

Welcome on board !

First, how many drives do you have ? Is Windows is installed and If it is, is it on the same partition or on a separated drive ? What kind of drive do you own ? Sollely SSD or SSD + SATA, or SSD + PATA (IDE) or the three of them ?

How did you partition your drive and what kind of partition scheme do you use GPT or MBR ?

Depending of your setup, you must choose a different Boot method : BootHFS if you just have OS X or OS X and Windows on the same partition, Bootmd if your OS X is installed on a different drive and Boot0 if you have two version of OS X on the same partition. The partition order may also be important, as it's generally advised to install first Windows on the first partition and after, OS X on another one but I've experienced different methods and it sems that the order of installation doesn't really matters, just take care not to erase the Windows bootmanager (but you should be able to fix this with the Windows install disc.

BTW, if you use Chameleon Wizard to install Boot, take care to install it on your OS X partition and not on the USB pen, this could explain why you can boot with your USB pen and not your drive because the Boot is installed on the wrong partition.

Hope this helps…

Good luck !

Hello you can also try this

1. Reboot system back into Mountain Lion installer (USB)FLASH DRIVE).
  2. Run Disk Utility find the Disk Identifier (eg. disk0s2)
  3. Unmount the drive you installed Mountain Lion on.
  4. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:
  5. dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
  6. Exit Terminal
  7. Boot Normally

Hope this helps

@JetFoi

The option which i mention is for OSX86 installed on a harddrive without windows.

I also make use of Original apple applications iLife 11 and Aperture, they are running without errors and i can update them without any problem.

@pepto

Ok

Successfully install ML 10.8.0 on my optiplex 760 after about 2 days of tries

Just one thing though.

during the USB preparation I had to put EloittforceRTC.kext in System/library/extensions on my USB drive to make ML boot first time after installation

I have BIOS rev a00 on my computer

so can you please make this correction?

Thanks!! Worked perfectly. I don't have an addon graphics card but I was able to get the desktop to have the right resolution with the onboard.

How did you get the right resolution with the onboard?

@pepto

Ok

Successfully install ML 10.8.0 on my optiplex 760 after about 2 days of tries

Just one thing though.

during the USB preparation I had to put EloittforceRTC.kext in System/library/extensions on my USB drive to make ML boot first time after installation

I have BIOS rev a00 on my computer

so can you please make this correction?

How did you get the right resolution with the onboard?

Oke i will maybe try it but my focus is now on Mavericks 10.9.X

For the right resolution you need a Videocard like i wrote in my tut a HD5450 or something else which works with OS X

• 1 month later...

Just found out that it is exactly one year ago since my last post here.

I used my Optihack 760 rarely and never made the frame buffer / DVD Player to work.

Today, I did set it up completely new, from scratch.

I went up to 10.8.4 including the Graphic fixes - and finally have a DVD running :-)

Pepto - thanks for much for maintaining this !!!!!!!!!

• 10 months later...

I have followed the steps to install 10.8 on a drive that has a shrunken Windows partition and a separate ML partition, as instructed.

When I boot  from the install usb , the osx installer is showing I cannot install to the ML partition as it has NTFS formatting. 

Am I to reformat that under Osx in order to install? i placed the boot files into the prepped system bolder as per instructions.

thanks anyone.

Seeing step 4 of 9 says  

" NOTE : when you install it on a partition skip step 5 - 10 see Chapter 4"

I have been skipping 5-10 as I am installing it to a partition.

This is how I prepped drive:

5 Preparing your SSD or HDD for install on a MBR-partitioned drive

If you intent to install OSX86 Mountain Lion On the same Hard disk as your windows follow the steps below. 

1. Start>Run (or Windows key on your keyboard plus R).

2. diskmgmt.msc (press enter after typing that)

3. Find your drive, right-click on it, and go to Shrink Volume.

4. Wait for it to calculate the amount of space you can make your partition, and enter in your amount

(for an exact GB amount, multiple your desired amount of GB times 1024, so a 20GB partition would

be 20480MB).

5. Let it make your partition. It will show up as unallocated space.

6. Format the new unallocated space as NTFS and give it a label (mine was ML).

Do I reformat this ML partition to Journaled through diskutility with the installer?

• 1 year later...

I know this is a very old post. But the link for the 

Videofix1083.zip 

Videofix1084.zip  

is not working. Does anybody have a copy? I need it for the video fix for 10.8.3... I would GREATLY appreciate it  :) 

I know this is a very old post. But the link for the

Videofix1083.zip 

Videofix1084.zip  

is not working. Does anybody have a copy? I need it for the video fix for 10.8.3... I would GREATLY appreciate it  :) 

You don't really need them since you can do it yourself :).

Basically, the video fix consists of editing two kexts and the procedure is described in post #1 - Step 16. Update to 10.8.5 (works for all 10.8.x but needs to be done after each one).

16. Update to 10.8.5

If your "Mac OS X Install ESD" contains already the newest ML Version you don't have to update the system and you can skip this step.

To check your current version go to "About this Mac".

• Copy the Kext files AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext and ATI5000Controller.kext from system/library/extension to your desktop.
  • Go to ATI5000Controller.kext and rightclick and choose Show Package Contents and open info.plist with textedit.
  • Find <key>IOPCIMatch</key> and add your string for HD5450

( HD5450 1GB the string is 0x68F91002 and for 512MB the string is 0x68E11002)

<string>0x68F91002 0x68981002 0x68991002 0x68E01002 0x68E11002 0x68D81002 0x68C01002 0x68C11002 0x68D91002 0x68B81002 0x68B01002 0x68B11002 0x68A01002 0x68A11002 </string>

• Save and Exit
  • Go to AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext and rightclick and choose Show Package Contents and open info.plist with textedit.
  • 11. Find <key>AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator</key>

and then look for the first <key>IOPCIMatch</key> and add your string for HD5450

( HD5450 1GB the string is 0x68F91002 and for 512MB the string is 0x68E11002)

add <string>0x68F91002 0x68E01002</string>

• Save and Exit
  • Install both kext files with Kext Utility
  • Now reboot with -v.

But there's an ever better way that consists to use DSDT.aml from Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip available in this thread. OS version is different but file works fine regardless the version of OS X AND the bootloader you're using.

Assuming it's Chameleon, you'll just need to copy the DSDT.aml in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3 > DSDT > AMD Radeon HD 5450 > DSDT.aml in your Extra folder. Do not rename it !

That way, you'll never have to deal with kext editing, never have to worry about System Updates/Upgrades and it will also enable sleep and some others goodies :). Once DSDT.aml is installed, just reboot and enjoy ;).

• Like 1

Thanks polyzargone! I know that El Capitan install pretty well as you guided me to get it working perfectly on my 780... thanks again for that!

Question: If I add the DSDT how about the files that were installed (below)? Do I keep them or remove some?

• AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext
  • AppelIntelE1000e.kext
  • ATI5000Injector.kext
  • EFIStudio-1.1.app
  • EliottForceLegacyRTC.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • Kext Utility.app
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext