[Guide] ML 10.8.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

127 posts in this topic

Thanks polyzargone! I know that El Capitan install pretty well as you guided me to get it working perfectly on my 780... thanks again for that!

Question: If I add the DSDT how about the files that were installed (below)? Do I keep them or remove some?

• AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext
  • AppelIntelE1000e.kext
  • ATI5000Injector.kext
  • EFIStudio-1.1.app
  • EliottForceLegacyRTC.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • Kext Utility.app
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext

Still assuming you're using Chameleon, keep :

• AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext (not really sure about this one but If I remember correctly, it is needed in Mountain Lion)

• AppelIntelE1000e.kext

• EliottForceLegacyRTC.kext (again, not sure about this one, using the DSDT.aml should eliminate the need for it. But TBH, I'm pretty sure it's totally useless)

• FakeSMC.kext (totally mandatory !!!)

• EFIStudio is an App. Using Chameleon, you may need it to set Ethernet Device Property but I'm not sure it's really necessary. Kext Utility is an alternative to Kext Wizard. I would tend to say that Kext Wizard is more powerful and have more features so it's up to you.

You can trash ATI5000Injector.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. And maybe you could also move from VoodooHDA to patched AppleHDA if you ask MacPeet to build a OS X 10.8.5 version of his patched AppleHDA.kext (not the on-the-fly Clover version).

Or, you could simply choose to move from Chameleon to Clover. There's no reason it won't work the same in Mountain Lion than it works in El Capitan/Yosemite/Mavericks. The whole CLOVER install folder should work identically.

But don't forget to place kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.8 (no USB_Injector.kext needed) ;).

• Like 1

"Move from Chameleon to Clover"... that's exactly what I want to do!!!!!!

I currently have a dual boot El Capitan & Windows 10 on one drive with 2 partitions working PERFECTLY! I'm trying to have a 3rd partition for Mountain Lion for some older software. 

The problem I think I'm having is trying to follow this guide to the letter installing Chameleon. 

So you're saying I can use the El Capitan install guide for the 760/780 with Mountain Lion on my Dell 780?  :)

I say  that you don't need to use Chameleon and also that you mustn't use it at all !!!

Keep it simple ! One bootloader to rule them all :).

You already have Clover to boot El Cap/W10 so all you have to do is copy/paste current El Cap kexts (minus USB_Injector.kext) in your current EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 to 10.8 and that's it ! You'll be able to boot all three OS with just one EFI/CLOVER in your first drive.

Also, don't forget to erase Extra folder even if with Clover as the main bootloader, it won't harm your tripleboot. But it'll be just useless and could be a possible source of confusion ;).

In fact, you could follow the same El Cap Guide to prepare your Mountain Lion USB Install disk and use the very same CLOVER folder that you used to install El Cap (again, just copy/past kexts to 10.8 kext folder).

Humm…On second thought, you'll need to follow Yosemite Guide post #2 instead since the El Capitan Guide relies on Chris1111's installer to prepare the USB pen… But you should still use the same CLOVER folder from Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip.

• Like 1

Yes! This is exactly what I'm looking to do... "One Bootloader to rule them All"  :)

OK, I added a 3rd partition with Disk Utility to my working El Capitan/10 hard drive. Do I do the steps from "THIS GUIDE" to install Mountain Lion to the 3rd partition? Sorry, I've been 3 straight days working on this so my brain may be a little cluttered LOL

Thank you sooooo much for all the help!  B)

Humm…On second thought, you'll need to follow Yosemite Guide post #2 instead since the El Capitan Guide relies on Chris1111's installer to prepare the USB pen… But you should still use the same CLOVER folder from Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip.

OK, going to try and follow Yosemite Post #2 for preparing the USB pen with Mountain Lion and then use the same CLOVER folder from Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip.

WISH ME LUCK!!!  :)

• Like 1

OK. I'm trying to use the Yosemite Guide post #2 to install Mountain Lion Installer on a USB.

Here are the instructions where I'm at. It says to type this in Terminal:

-cp "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg" /Volumes/Yosemite/

- cp -a "/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist" /Volumes/Yosemite/

- rm /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

- cp -a /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Installation/Packages

Only problem is this is for Yosemite not Mountain Lion... my mounted ML Volume name and USB Installer Name is different. 

My mounted ESD volume name is "Mac OS X Install ESD (not OS X Install ESD)" and my USB name wont be Yosemite so let's say I call it ML-USB. Any idea how to implement the above instructions with my ESD & USB? I tried replacing names where I thought but I'm no pro and have had no luck yet.

The guide definitely needs corrections :rolleyes:

Try this and also, use quotation marks. It's a lot easier ;) :

- cp /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB
- cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/ML-USB
- rm /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages
- cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

By using quotation marks, you can name the USB pen whatever you want that also includes spaces like : "Mac OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk"

• Like 1

The guide definitely needs corrections :rolleyes:

Try this and also, use quotation marks. It's a lot easier ;) :

- cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

By using quotation marks, you can name the USB pen whatever you want that also includes spaces like : "Mac OS X Mountain Lion Install Disk"

Thanks for the tips. I renamed my USB "ML-USB" then copied and pasted each one of the 4 terminal entries above but after the last one nothing happened... terminal just shows a cursor. The guide says after the fourth entry go grab a drink, but for me nothing happens.  :(

I first entered 

open /Volumes/“Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg

which mounted Mac OS X Install ESD

then

Each entry I did not receive any errors. Not sure where to go from here.  :(

UPDATE: Tried again fresh after the Mac OS X Install ESD was mounted

Typed in terminal

terminal says
-bash: -: command not found

Well, your USB pen should now be ready. Last step is to install Clover on it.

Use these settings :

cd60b401-e90d-4f9a-b655-22fa4f8863cf.jpg

Finally, replace CLOVER folder with the one in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip. Again, don't forget to move kexts from 10.11 to 10.8 and start installation of Mountain Lion on dedicated partition.

At the end of the install process, just reboot without you USB pen and assuming you've already copied/pasted kexts from 10.11 to 10.8 in your EFI/CLOVER of your first HDD, you should be able to boot newly installed ML partition without anything else to do since the EFI/CLOVER is already configured.

UPDATE: Tried again fresh after the Mac OS X Install ESD was mounted

Typed in terminal

terminal says
-bash: -: command not found

My bad :). Don't use the "-" before the commands (another misleading error in original Guide :rolleyes:) !

cp /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB
cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/ML-USB
rm /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages
cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages
  • Like 1

OHHHHHHHHH..... OK. Guess I should have known but I didn't LOL. Trying without the -

OK, not using the - before the terminal commands seemed to work! THANK YOU!!!!!! 

Now to install Clover as you mentioned. Do I use the exact selections from the El Capitan Guide (below)?

Install Clover in ESP

Boot loader: Install boot0af in MBR

CloverEFI: 64-Bits SATA 

Themes: BootCamp

Install RC Scripts on Target Volume

Install Clover Preference Pane

Yes. Again, replace CLOVER folder with the one in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip and don't forget to move kexts from 10.11 to 10.8 otherwise it will not work.

OK, and thanks for the reminder about replacing the folder... I would have DEFINITELY forgotten LOL!!!!!! 

OK. I copied and replaced the Clover folder from the Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip to the EFI for Mountain Lion (same as El Capitan install).

Are these my next steps like in the El Capitan Install?

1. Open Clover Configurator.
  2. Click FileOpen File, and Select config.plist in EFI/EFI/Clover
  3. Click on SMBIOS in right-side pane, and create your new SMBIOS, (iMac 10,1) with Random Serial Number.  
  4. Copy paste this SN into Board Serial Number and add enough Letters/digits to make it a 17 character number.
  5. Open a command terminal, run the following command: "uuidgen", paste the result in SMUUID box in Clover.
  6. Close Clover Configurator, Save changes.
  7. There are 2 different DSDT's in the Optiplex 780 (760) folder. Copy the appropriate DSDT for your installation to: EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.
  8. Finished! Now, Remove the USB Installer and Reboot into OS X El Capitan

Well, you know what ? Forget what i said about replacing the CLOVER folder of your USB pen by the one in Optiplex 780 (760) El Capitan Clover-v3.zip and replace it by the one in your EFI/CLOVER in your HDD EFI partition.

That way, you don't have to worry about configuring config.plist etc. There is no Next Step after that. Just boot the USB pen and install ML. But remember, you still need to copy/paste EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 to 10.8 in every case.

Since you're going to boot using the EFI/CLOVER from your HDD EFI parition once ML is installed, you should already have done that.

• Like 1

In the EFI folder of your EFI partition. The one you're currently using to boot El Cap/Win10.

Look, it's simple and just a matter of logic :

One bootloader to rule them all = 1 EFI folder in your current setup. To boot the USB pen, you still need an EFI folder just as you need one for your HDD. Hence, the idea is to use that EFI folder to boot the USB pen.

It's simple,  isn't it ?

• Like 1

Simple? We'll I'm starting to understand it a LITTLE better :) LOL 

OK, so I am going to copy the Clover folder from the EFI of my working El Capitan and put it in my USB pen drive... right?

Do I still need to do these next steps after replacing the clover folder for the USB pen drive?

1. Open Clover Configurator.
  2. Click FileOpen File, and Select config.plist in EFI/EFI/Clover
  3. Click on SMBIOS in right-side pane, and create your new SMBIOS, (iMac 10,1) with Random Serial Number.  
  4. Copy paste this SN into Board Serial Number and add enough Letters/digits to make it a 17 character number.
  5. Open a command terminal, run the following command: "uuidgen", paste the result in SMUUID box in Clover.
  6. Close Clover Configurator, Save changes.
  7. There are 2 different DSDT's in the Optiplex 780 (760) folder. Copy the appropriate DSDT for your installation to: EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.
  8. Finished! Now, Remove the USB Installer and Reboot into OS X El Capitan

Simple? We'll I'm starting to understand it a LITTLE better :) LOL

OK, so I am going to copy the Clover folder from the EFI of my working El Capitan and put it in my USB pen drive... right?

Right.

Do I still need to do these next steps after replacing the clover folder for the USB pen drive?

•  
  • Open Clover Configurator.
  • Click File, Open File, and Select config.plist in EFI/EFI/Clover.
  • Click on SMBIOS in right-side pane, and create your new SMBIOS, (iMac 10,1) with Random Serial Number.
  • Copy paste this SN into Board Serial Number and add enough Letters/digits to make it a 17 character number.
  • Open a command terminal, run the following command: "uuidgen", paste the result in SMUUID box in Clover.
  • Close Clover Configurator, Save changes.
  • There are 2 different DSDT's in the Optiplex 780 (760) folder. Copy the appropriate DSDT for your installation to: EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.
  • Finished! Now, Remove the USB Installer and Reboot into OS X El Capitan

No… This part only concern those who want to configure the config.plist in the first place.

Since you should already have done this when you installed El Capitan, there's no need to do it again, especially when it comes to the DSDT part !

Remember that's what is all about from the beginning : avoid the need to edit AMD's kexts by using a DSDT !

You need to understand what's the logic behind all of this and what's the purpose of EFI folder, kexts and DSDT.

• Like 1

OK. Trying to boot from the Mountain Lion USB with no luck yet. It goes from the Apple logo screen for about a minute then switches to a different gray screen but has a spinning beachball, but it never boots even after 10 minutes... it stays spinning. Any ideas?

I used the EFI/Clover folder from my working Dual Boot El Capitan/10

What about the kexts that you must have in 10.8 folder ? Make sure you have FakeSMC.kext at least.

Also, boot in verbose mode please…

I copied the 10.11 kexts (fakeSMC, USB_Injector & Intel82566m) from my working El Capitan into my Mountain Lion USB 10.8 kexts folder AND ALSO put the same 10.11 kexts into my 10.8 folder on my El Capitan EFI HDD.

Also, I just tried booting in verbose mode but still seem to be getting the spinning beachball cursor once verbose is done and the grey screen pops up. 

This is what I've done so far (with LOTS of excellent help from polyzargone)...

I made the Mountain Lion USB by restoring Mountain Lion (Mac OS X Install ESD) in Disk Utility and named the USB "ML-USB"

then from Terminal:

es/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB

cp -/Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/ML-USB

rm /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

cp -/Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

Then used Clover Installer with these settings 

• Install Clover in ESP
  • Boot loader: Install boot0af in MBR
  • CloverEFI: 64-Bits SATA 
  • Themes: BootCamp
  • Install RC Scripts on Target Volume
  • Install Clover Preference Pane

Then copied my EFI 10.11 kexts from my working Dual Boot El Capitan/10 to the Mountain Lion USB pen 10.8 kexts folder and also added the 10.11 kexts to my working El Capitan 10.8 kexts folder. I also add the working DSDT to the Mountain Lion USB pen.

When I boot from the Mountain Lion USB from Clover in verbose it shows all the verbose text then the Apple grey screen appears and the cursor is just a spinning beachball even after 20 minutes.

Any ideas? My brain is hurting... this is the end of night 3 "TRYING" to get this working  :(  But I'm not giving up!

I made the Mountain Lion USB by restoring Mountain Lion (Mac OS X Install ESD) in Disk Utility and named the USB "ML-USB"

then from Terminal:

es/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB

cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

Not sure what you meant by :

What's "es/"Mac OS X Install ESD" ? es is not a valid terminal command :wacko:

Anyway, if you restored the InstallESD/BaseSystem.dmg to your USB pen then ran the "cp /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB" command in terminal, you made the same thing twice !

Basically, the cp command will copy the content of BaseSystem.dmg in the root of ML-USB which is exactly what the Restore function does.

Then copied my EFI 10.11 kexts from my working Dual Boot El Capitan/10 to the Mountain Lion USB pen 10.8 kexts folder and also added the 10.11 kexts to my working El Capitan 10.8 kexts folder. I also add the working DSDT to the Mountain Lion USB pen.

You're aware that you need to replace (not merge) the whole CLOVER folder in the EFI folder of your USB pen by the one in your current working El Cap and not just add the kexts from 10.11 to the 10.8 folder aren't you ?

That means you must have the correct DSDT.aml file in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched for both CLOVER folders (USB pen & HDD) and also the same config.plist.

In other words, the CLOVER folder must be strictly the same for both USB pen & HDD (assuming you filled both 10.11 & 10.8 folders with same kexts).

[EDIT]

OK, got it !

It was a typo wasn't it ? I mean, the strange command you mentioned :

Was actually :

• Like 1

Not sure what you meant by :

What's "es/"Mac OS X Install ESD" ? es is not a valid terminal command :wacko:

Anyway, if you restored the InstallESD/BaseSystem.dmg to your USB pen then ran the "cp /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB" command in terminal, you made the same thing twice !

Basically, the cp command will copy the content of BaseSystem.dmg in the root of ML-USB which is exactly what the Restore function does.

You're aware that you need to replace (not merge) the whole CLOVER folder in the EFI folder of your USB pen by the one in your current working El Cap and not just add the kexts from 10.11 to the 10.8 folder aren't you ?

That means you must have the correct DSDT.aml file in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched for both CLOVER folders (USB pen & HDD) and also the same config.plist.

In other words, the CLOVER folder must be strictly the same for both USB pen & HDD (assuming you filled both 10.11 & 10.8 folders with same kexts).

[EDIT]

OK, got it !

It was a typo wasn't it ? I mean, the strange command you mentioned :

Was actually :

sorry, yes the 1st was a typo. It was supposed to read: 

I didn't realize I did the same thing twice with the ESD and the CP, but thank you.

I'm going to go back and make sure I "replace" the entire Clover folder from my working El Capitan to the USB so they both match. I think I'm getting closer here, I feel it!