Virtual Box and Snow Leopard *SUCCESS*

Mr.D.

75 posts in this topic

OHHHH - I got a new post this time... wonder what that delay is all about *scratches head*

Anyways...

rather than running the full DarwinDump, and without suggestions for what to run, I chose a few things and was able to run the program without a KP this time.

DarwinDump.htm

I hope I got more than was needed, rather than less... 'cause off I go to try the chameleon install & kernel patch.

The link above to OSX86 is a resource that I have used extensively for this project. I even asked earlier in this post if I needed to use a patched legacy kernel. Guess everyone missed that? Regardless, I'll try the chameleon install, and - again guessing here - then before the reboot, patching the kernel? Maybe the other way around? Guess its time to break stuff...

so I decided to run the mach_kernel first. I thought that it would not affect anything as I'm still booting from the bootloader .iso disc - and as near as I can tell, I was right. Its only reading the info from the bootloader .iso disc, not a thing from the local virtual machine disk image. Please note the difference between disc and disk as I am using the terms properly to delinate between the .iso CD ROM image that is used as a bootloader to get me into the system, and the virtual machine HD image that actually contains the OS.

Regardless - here is my new DarwinDump file that appears to be the same as the old:

DarwinDump.htm

I will now try to install chameleon and then replace the mach_kernel once more and see what that gives me.

I'm not completely sure on the situation of IvyBridge and SL. I'm not sure if Legacy supports it, seeing as it's newer. There is an IvyBridge kernel out though I think, and all you need to do is switch them out at the end of the combo update before rebooting.

Edit:

http://www.osx86.net/view/3047-ivy_bridge_kernel_for_snow_leopard_10.6._...html

well I've gotten further with a chameleon install then ever before:

its stuck at the spinning wait icon splash screen, but there is HD activity, so I'll leave it alone for a while... never got this before - hopefully it loads the desktop.

and of course I forgot to do -v wait=yes...

and I used that kernel to patch this... I used the mach_kernel_patch.zip for this but downloaded the 10.6.8 for either further testing or for installation when I can do the 10.6.8 upgrade.

how do I do this at boot? I'm pretty sure I can figure it out after boot, but can I set a flag? I've done a quick Google and found nothing

depreciated.PNG

Well... I think it worked... I shut the machine down after the grey screen was spinning for 10 minutes... didnt forget the -v wait=yes flags (even though wait doesnt seem to be responding... and rebooted twice and it comes up w/o the use of the bootloader .iso disc.

I tried using Chameleon v2.1svn r2052 from OSX86 and it said there was nothing to install - weird - so I used my previously downloaded Chameleon Wizard and used the Dropbox option (which has 2063), and after the install, I went thru the mach_kernel replacement again.

I am now using said wizard to create the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file that for some reason didnt exist in the /Extra folder...

...and its now stuck at that stupid boot args line that was listed several post ago... ARGH!!

I just tried forcing it to i386 in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and it is still stuck at that spot. I had searched previously for that error and didnt find anything of use...

any suggestions?

I can still boot with a bootloader .iso disc

... now I cant even boot with the bootloader .iso disc

- My idea was to delete the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and force the system to give me the previous error, then copy the com.apple file over as the org.chameleon file and see what happened. But now that I have deleted a file that was not required to start the machine either with chameleon or with the .iso disc, the system hangs totally.

ARGH!!! makes no sense why behaviours are not consistant!!!

I took a snapshot before I did the chameleon install, so I'll restore to that and start back there again... *sigh*

I'm off to work... wont be back till much later. I will also run the darwin dumper after the 'success' of chameleon and before the modification of the com.apple or org.chameleon files

installed it exactly as you said... every step. downloaded the file, ran the chameleon install, copied the mach_kernel to root, ran chmod chown rebooted.

it worked before I tried to fix the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file - so I dont know how it could be 'wrong'? See the edit to my previous post... I'm Audi5000 for a minute.

I have give it a ride to see what went wrong. Well, using ModCD is good since it allows you to install 10.6.3, but is also a problem because it also modifies installer and installs some things later that needs to be cleaned. Like some distro. ModCD is a piece of art - not many are able to compose such tool today. But also causes you trouble since it's hard to find out what really is going on.

Here are my steps:

Snow Leo 10.6.3 CD iInstall in VBox:

- VM created with pippox0's specs (http://www.insanelym...0/#entry1714573)

- 2073-OSX86_ModCD-031111-171757.iso added as CD (http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2073)

- started VM (not EFI mode), inserted SL 10.6.3 CD, press F5 to rescan drives

- when install CD appeared - started OSX Install - installation takes some 20 minutes

- ended with shutdown error (some issue with moded kernel) - not a problem, just turned off the VM

- added ModCD.iso as CD again and started VM

- booted new SL 10.6.3 and finished install

- NOTE: ModCD already installed to VM disk /legacy_kernel, older Chameleon and it's /Extra folder with additional kexts - requires cleanup, but you can boot 10.6.3 from VM disk without ModCD at that point

ivy moded snow leo kernel (works with sandy bridge also)

- install ivy moded snow leo kernel, since legacy_kernel from ModCD will not boot 10.6.8 later:

- downloaded SnowLeo kernel for IvyBridge (http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html) and copied it to / as /ivy_kernel (change ownership and permissions if needed)

- modified /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and changed Kernel option from legacy_kernel to ivy_kernel and added -v to Kernel Flags)

- you can try to boot from VM disk. it will be with new ivy_kernel now

- there are 3 kernels now in /: original mach_kernel, ModCD legacy_kernel and ivy_kernel. ivy will boot by default, but others can be selected by just typing their names at Chameleon boot prompt (for example, just type: legacy_kernel).

and then Chameleon upgrade and cleanup after ModCD modifications:

- changed ownership from root to mine of /Extra for easier edit (sudo chown -R <yourUsername>:staff /Extra)

- downloaded Chameleon Wizard and installed newer Chameleon (Dropbox option, boot0hfs and then /boot and /boot1h)

- created SMBIOS.plist with Cham. Wiz. and saved it to /Extra/

- copied /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and removed arch=i386 (plus changed Kernel=ivy_kernel and added -v to Kernel Flags)

- ModCD added some kexts that are not needed: deleted /Extra/Extensions.mkext and all /Extra/Extensions/*.kexts except NullCpu

- downloaded newer FakeSMC.kext (https://github.com/k...nsors/downloads , FakeSMC.kext in Binaries folder) and put it to /Extra/Extensions (together with NullCpu)

- more ModeCD fixes:

- removed /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

- used KextWizard and installed back kexts from /Backup Extensions to /S/L/E - gives sound back

- now restart and boot from VM disk - should work and have sound

upgrade to 10.6.8: just Software Update, let it finish and reboot. installer will change mach_kernel, but since Chameleon is instructed to boot ivy_kernel, no need to do anything else.

upgrade to ML: the best thing now is to add another disk in VM and install it there. I'll skip that :)

• Like 1

A step-by-step of a success! That is awesome. Glad you were able to do that and post it... I'll try those exact steps. I was wondering if the ModCD was causing me issues - its a great tool but sometimes the Swiss Army Knife tool can get in the way of a good screwdriver.

One question before I run this - was the Apple App Store able to recognize your 'hardware'? I need the FakeSMBios to be registered with compliant hardware for the App store to be able to let me download ML. And yes, once I can download ML, then I'll create a whole new VM to run that on...

One thing I have noticed with this and other guides, not sure if it is relevant, but for the type of IDE Controller, I don't have, and have never had regardless of the version of VB that I am running, ICH9 - I only have ICH6. Under systm/chipset - I have ICH9. I always make sure that is selected (which by default it is) but just want to make sure that inst an issue as I cant exactly duplicate those settings.

You can generate any smbios with Chameleon Wizard and use it. I've added iMac12,1 and App Store offers me to download previously purchased ML. I guess you would not have problems with that.

Chipset ICH9, IDE Controller ICH6 - same here. Does not causes issues.

To test - I tried to boot from the virtual box HD image w/o any changes after the install completed - and it fails. I'm stuck at the grey screen of blah... Is this an issue?

To test something that you stated lower - that I can switch kernels at any point - I tried /legacy_kernel and it reports that /legacy_kernel cant be found. /mach_kernel can, and I assume that is what it is using when it goes to the grey screen of blah.

no other kernels.PNG

I did - there is NO legacy_kernel on my machine. See the screenshot above.

I followed the next step in what was done successfully on dmazar's VM and copied over the ivy_kernel, changed the com.apple file (backing up the old one) and I can now boot using the RC5 chameleon that was packaged with the ModCD.

So far, that is the only difference - it never gave me a legacy_kernel. And before anyone comments any further, please look at the screenshot - its not there. And yes, I can see the hidden files, as is evident in the screenshot.

I have 'success' thus far, so I will snapshot the VM and will keep going with what worked on dmazar's VM.

Also iFire - every time you post a link to the chameleon official build thread, the links to the package builders are broken - no worky. I posted this in some other thread with a screenshot from Chrome showing it, but I don't remember which one. Regardless, that page with the Official 2.1 Chameleon release has broken links - should probably be fixed before you keep recommending that page. FYI - I have used the Chameleon Wizard in the past that points to DropBox and gets me the latest build of Chameleon, which is 2063 I believe. Thought you should know...

And I still cant get it - is the site not Chrome friendly?

link no worky.PNG

I get this on two machines, both running Chromium.

I have give it a ride to see what went wrong. Well, using ModCD is good since it allows you to install 10.6.3, but is also a problem because it also modifies installer and installs some things later that needs to be cleaned. Like some distro. ModCD is a piece of art - not many are able to compose such tool today. But also causes you trouble since it's hard to find out what really is going on.

Here are my steps:

- 2073-OSX86_ModCD-031111-171757.iso added as CD (http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2073)

- when install CD appeared - started OSX Install - installation takes some 20 minutes

- ended with shutdown error (some issue with moded kernel) - not a problem, just turned off the VM

- NOTE: ModCD already installed to VM disk /legacy_kernel, older Chameleon and it's /Extra folder with additional kexts - requires cleanup, but you can boot 10.6.3 from VM disk without ModCD at that point

- install ivy moded snow leo kernel, since legacy_kernel from ModCD will not boot 10.6.8 later:

- downloaded SnowLeo kernel for IvyBridge (http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html) and copied it to / as /ivy_kernel (change ownership and permissions if needed)

- modified /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and changed Kernel option from legacy_kernel to ivy_kernel and added -v to Kernel Flags)

- there are 3 kernels now in /: original mach_kernel, ModCD legacy_kernel and ivy_kernel. ivy will boot by default, but others can be selected by just typing their names at Chameleon boot prompt (for example, just type: legacy_kernel).

- changed ownership from root to mine of /Extra for easier edit (sudo chown -R :staff /Extra)

- downloaded Chameleon Wizard and installed newer Chameleon (Dropbox option, boot0hfs and then /boot and /boot1h)

- copied /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and removed arch=i386 (plus changed Kernel=ivy_kernel and added -v to Kernel Flags)

- ModCD added some kexts that are not needed: deleted /Extra/Extensions.mkext and all /Extra/Extensions/*.kexts except NullCpu

- downloaded newer FakeSMC.kext (https://github.com/k...nsors/downloads , FakeSMC.kext in Binaries folder) and put it to /Extra/Extensions (together with NullCpu)

- more ModeCD fixes:

- used KextWizard and installed back kexts from /Backup Extensions to /S/L/E - gives sound back

upgrade to 10.6.8: just Software Update, let it finish and reboot. installer will change mach_kernel, but since Chameleon is instructed to boot ivy_kernel, no need to do anything else.

upgrade to ML: the best thing now is to add another disk in VM and install it there. I'll skip that :)

I followed this step by step and SUCCESS!

Differences:

1. The legacy_kernel never appeared on my machine. I dont know why, but it wasn't an issue since I never used it, only the original mach_kernel and the ivy_kernel

you are a goddamn genius.PNG

I am now downloading ML as we speak.

I'm writing a 'what I did to get the VM to work on my machine' document based almost entirely off this process, with some of the steps explained more fully for those who arent familiar with things like chmod and such. If you dont mind dmazar, I'd like to either post that as a new thread, or attach it at the end of this one... please let me know since the success is due mostly to your help.

Thanks again... topic title changed.

Go ahead! It would be good if you can document it all with all the details. If you want to experiment a bit more, try installing it without Nawcom's ModCD - build your own one ...

You can try to build it with the following script and predefined content: BootCD.zip

All you have to do is:

- extract it

- add FakeSMC and NullCPU into Preboot/Extra/Extensions/

- add your custom kernel as Preboot/Extra/ivy_sl_kernel (or some other name, but change it also in Preboot/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist)

- and run MakeIso.sh to build boot.iso file.

This way you would not need to clean after it.

Resources used:

- sonotone's guide: How-to Create a bootable ISO with Chameleon V2

http://www.insanelym...h-chameleon-v2/

- solitudo.net: Create preboot image for Chameleon bootloader

http://solitudo.net/...eon_bootloader/

• Like 1

So, I decided to do the Mountain Lion install. I was just going to test it out first, then create the WIP page to deal with all the issues.

I wanted to used VMWare Player because I had heard many good things about it.

Below is the quoted instructions from THIS thread:

I'm happy to report that Donk was right. Here are the shortened install steps:

1. Buy Mountain Lion (don't run the installer otherwise it'll delete itself)

2. Convert the installer into an ISO: hdiutil convert "Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -format UDTO -o "Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.iso" as mentioned at http://partnerweb.vm...acOSX_10_7.html

3. Copy the ISO (you'll have to rename it from .iso.cdr to .iso) to the host

4. Install Workstation 9

5. Run VMWare unlocker 1.1.0 found here: http://www.insanelym...-os-x-unlocker/

6. Mount the ISO in the machine's CDROM settings

7. Create a new Virtual Machine for Mountain Lion

8. Install Mountain Lion inside the VM

9. Install VMWare tools using darwin.iso that came with the unlocker

10. You're done.

There is no need for any special patches, at least not for 10.8 (10.8.2 might be a different story).

Two things that were different for me:

> I used dmg2iso in windows to create the InstallESD.iso file

> When I downloaded Mountain Lion from the App Store on my 10.6.8 build, it automatically gave me 10.8.2

I followed the steps, and BAM! a working 10.8.2 install. I have no idea if any of the extras work, but I already have more functionality than on my VirtualBox virtual machine (booting EFI, can change res on the fly, chess works, etc., etc., ...) I am :wallbash: for not doing this sooner.

10.8.2 Win7.PNG

Sure it is easier since there are steps written by somebody already. If you write steps for VBox install, it would be easy on VBox for somebody else. :)

Well, ok, ML install would not be so easy.

If the goal is to have ML working inside some virtualisation sw, then VMWare is a better choice. But if the goal is to get some "legal" environment to prepare ML install USB (to install it on real hw), then it does not matter - 10.6.8 in VBox or WMWare.

In the later case, there is no need to install Chameleon on VBox HD - it's enough to install (10.6.3) and upgrade(10.6.8) by booting from boot.iso - so it can be "trivial".

yeah - working on that document on step-by-step for SL. But, as I have stated in other threads, I get distracted by shiny objects, and there is none shinier then 10.8.2.

... and I am working on making that bootloader .iso disc image with the ivy_kernel in it - damn that'll make things easier as well.

I think that in one of my previous attempts, I did something wrong there, because I had attempted to use that ivy kernel previously, but I might have fat-fingered the name when renaming or it was 02:30 and I was tired - hell, maybe both! Regardless, now that my final goal has been reached, I can go back and clean up the mess and - hopefully - make it better for the next guy.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah - working on that document on step-by-step for SL. But, as I have stated in other threads, I get distracted by shiny objects, and there is none shinier then 10.8.2.

... and I am working on making that bootloader .iso disc image with the ivy_kernel in it - damn that'll make things easier as well.

I think that in one of my previous attempts, I did something wrong there, because I had attempted to use that ivy kernel previously, but I might have fat-fingered the name when renaming or it was 02:30 and I was tired - hell, maybe both! Regardless, now that my final goal has been reached, I can go back and clean up the mess and - hopefully - make it better for the next guy.

Hello Mr. D! I am new to this community and found this and was wondering if you are still working on the step by step guide or did you post it somewhere else? I am working on my first hack and this would be very useful as I have a H77 chipset board and an Ivy CPU so I need to do something like this to get up to ML.

Thanks!

yes, I am. I've just gotten back from being away for a week, and that is one of the things I am planning on working on this week. I'll keep ya updated. Thanks for the interest!

yes, I am. I've just gotten back from being away for a week, and that is one of the things I am planning on working on this week. I'll keep ya updated. Thanks for the interest!

Mr.D

Please add me to you 'short' list of requestors on this posting - read the whole thing and I very impresed at the levels you went to -

have you considered a Virtual Box install vs the Vmware workstation install -

So if you would please add me to this list as I would like to "get er done" so to speak w OSX10.6.6 -7 -8 as all of these version should be able to get to the Apple App store for purchase and download ML 10.8.2\

As I have a ASUS Z77 and an Intel I5 Ivy Bridge CPU and need to get to ML.

Again mucho impressed.

tote

What you have done is amazing and as the say 'pesistance pays off - but you may loose to much hair in doing it.'

no problem. When I get it done, I'll either post here or I'll post the link here so y'all know where to go.

With regards to VMWare, yup - I'm using Player 5 right now for my 10.8.2 VM... it was quite a bit easier I'll tell ya. I haven't tried Player for 10.6.x because I started down the VirtualBox route and I really didn't have much intention of staying with 10.6.x - although its nice to have that option in my back pocket. I honestly haven't used my 10.6.8 VM since getting 10.8.2 running.

I don't have much hair left to loose - lets hope the ladies dig bald guys eh?

Here are my steps:

- changed ownership from root to mine of /Extra for easier edit (sudo chown -R <yourUsername>:staff /Extra)

- more ModeCD fixes:

Hello!

I have followed this somewhat and have been able to install SL retail into my VM and update to version 10.6.8 with no problems using a BootCD.iso that was made specifically for an Ivy bridge found here. http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html I didn't use the ModCD so I don't have a chameleon bootloader so I have to boot from disk everytime but I haven't had to clean up anything like the ModCD. ( no biggie for now ) Everything works fine.. audio, ethernet port onboard - haven't tested USB yet though.

First off thanks for all your help guys because I have a H77 chipset MB with an Ivy CPU so this is a godsend. I have been practicing on this VM for my real computer so I haven't downloaded ML yet but I have the app store and I don't think I will have trouble with that. I actually am thinking about using SL on my real computer but I don't know if the new BootCD.iso that I found would work on my hardware like it does in the VirtualBox VM.

Also, I don't know how to install a chameleon bootloader so I can boot from HD. And the kicker is that I have already installed windows 7 on my computer. I partitioned a 2TB HDD and have windows 7 on the second partition and left the third partition for OS X ( both partitions are a little less than 1 TB ). I have been reading that the best way to dual boot is to partition the drive under OS X disk utilities but I can't do that now. Is it possible to install SL with the bootcd that installs the SL kernel for ivy bridge and install a bootloader after that on my hardware and have it work the same as my VM? I have looked at the hardware in my VM and it shows iMac12,1 (i think) and it shows my core i-3 CPU. I would really like to have SL running on my computer and maybe later upgrade to ML.

Also, my MB is a Gigabyte H77-DS3H Version 1.1 :wallbash: so I have been reading that this board v1.1 uses a new lan chip that is not supported in ML. Will it work in SL just the same as my VM is? I have no problem with my internet connection right now using SL 10.6.8 in my VM.

I would ideally like to add SL to the third partition with the snow leopard ivy BootCD.iso and then add a bootloader that prompts for windows or osx at the chameleon screen. Is this okay?

The short answer to your question(s) is, 'I have no idea - but you should try it and let us know if it can work!'

The long answer is I am working on making a boot cd .iso that will have the appropriate chameleon integrated into it so when you install SL, you wont have to clean up like I did after the ModCD that I used. In theory, you could use this for a 'real' hackintosh - of course I can't say for sure since I haven't tested it, nor will I because that isn't a route that I am taking with my build - but you, or anyone else could test is, and let me know if it works. And if it doesn't you could tweak it yourself and either let me know so I could update it, or you could post your own updates like I will be.

With regards to the partitions, search for 'install existing partition' on this site - it came back with nearly 900 results for me and I'm betting that at least one of those hits is relevant to your situation.

Good luck - I'll be interested to hear your progress! Keep checking here for my updated document on how I got everything to work and links to the tools.

• 2 years later...

wvbvrk.png

I recently tried to set up a virtual mac os x using:
-VirtualBox
-A Retail Version of Mac OS X version 10.6.3
-Hackboot1 and Hackboot2

After setup, I press start, and Hackboot1 starts. Then I change the Virtual CD to load the disk that is in my disk drive (Mac OS X) and it comes up to install. When I press enter to install however I get this error (the image is shown).

If it helps:
-EFI is disabled
-128GB Video Memory, 6GB RAM, 3 Cores, and 300GB on my HDD are allocated to this virtual OS

My computer specs:
CPU: Intel i7-5280k
GPU: GeForce GTX 770
RAM: 16GB
Mother Board: Gigabyte X99-UD4

Please help. I just want a simple way to get an up-to-date Mac OS running, I don't really care for Macs, but I need to use Xcode (Apple exclusive) for my app development.