Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

Thank for your tests, spakk!

Could you redo test n.1 adding the bootflag maxmem=4096, please? I'm not at home and cannot do it myself.

I'm just to reinstall Mountain Lion again and then I'll do the tests again. It could be an error in the last installation of Mountain Lion has emerged.

I will report later.

on reverse engineering in USA:

In the United States even if an artifact or process is protected by trade secrets, reverse-engineering the artifact or process is often lawful as long as it is obtained legitimately.[21] Patents, on the other hand, need a public disclosure of an invention, and therefore, patented items do not necessarily have to be reverse-engineered to be studied. (However, an item produced under one or more patents could also include other technology that is not patented and not disclosed.) One common motivation of reverse engineering is to determine whether a competitor's product contains patent infringements or copyright infringements.

- Wikipedia

Hi @ ll

I deleted everything and reinstalled. And everything tested again with a lot of combinations and different kernel boot flag, it does not boot.

I need a new kernel Patch for Phenom II X6 1100 T.

We need a Buldozer to test with. Why am i saying that? Because i removed core crypto from my intel hackintosh, and yet it boots just fine. The next lines after core crypto in a normal boot are the ACPI kexts, then the initialization of Mac Frameworks. This, plus the invalid opcode message from our core crypto panic, makes me wonder if we reached the point where the lack of ssse3 support is the thing that's preventing us to progress. If it is, then a Bulldozer (or Trinity, or Bobcat) would be able to go further and even to boot to the desktop (unlikely, but...), if it does not get an instant reboot (which was what Bulldozers usually got with the arch x86_64 version of RAW's kernel for Lion).

Anyone who has a FX-series CPU, please step in and volunteer: this could be the turn of the tide (or not).

Though I don't have a bulldozer machine, I'd like to add that AMDs "Trinity" line of APUs (the a10-xxx a8-xxx and a6-xxx) also have ssse3.

EDIT: sorry, didn't notice theconnactic already mentioned this. I've been considering a Trinity upgrade for a while, this would just about do it.. Bonne Chance :o

• Like 1

Why am i saying that? Because i removed core crypto from my intel hackintosh, and yet it boots just fine.

You wiped your cache beforehand, yes? If not it could have just been loaded via the cache. (Just making sure so we don't assume)

But yes, I believe the lack of SSSE3 support is the issue.

Mountain Lion without corecrypto.kext.

Hi

What AMD CPU do you have?

And which kernel and boot flag do you use?

We need a Buldozer to test with. Why am i saying that? Because i removed core crypto from my intel hackintosh, and yet it boots just fine. The next lines after core crypto in a normal boot are the ACPI kexts, then the initialization of Mac Frameworks. This, plus the invalid opcode message from our core crypto panic, makes me wonder if we reached the point where the lack of ssse3 support is the thing that's preventing us to progress. If it is, then a Bulldozer (or Trinity, or Bobcat) would be able to go further and even to boot to the desktop (unlikely, but...), if it does not get an instant reboot (which was what Bulldozers usually got with the arch x86_64 version of RAW's kernel for Lion).

Anyone who has a FX-series CPU, please step in and volunteer: this could be the turn of the tide (or not).

Hi

which kernel and boot flag should I test? How should I modify my org.chameleon.boot.plist?

here my org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist, I boot to time without the DSDT.aml.

org.chameleon.boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[url="http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd%22>"][url="http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd%22>[/url"][url="http://www.apple.com...-1.0.dtd%22>[/url[/url]]<plist"]http://www.apple.com...rl[/url]]<plist[/url] version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>	<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>	<key>EnableC2State</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>GenerateCStates</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>GeneratePStates</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Graphics Mode</key>	<string>1600x1200x32</string>	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Kernel</key>	<string>con</string>	<key>Kernel Flags</key>	<string>-v -f CPUS=2 maxmem=2048 npci=0x2000</string>	<key>KeyLayout</key>	<string>mac-de</string>	<key>Legacy Logo</key>	<string>Yes</string>		<key>QuietBoot</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>SMBIOS</key>	<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>	<key>ShowInfo</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Theme</key>	<string>Blackosx_Button</string>	<key>Timeout</key>	<string>5</string>	<key>USBBusFix</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>UseKernelCache</key>	<string>YES</string>	<key>Wait</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Wake</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Busratio</key>	<string>15</string>	<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>	<dict>		<key>@0,compatible</key>		<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>		<key>@0,device_type</key>		<string>display</string>		<key>@0,name</key>		<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>		<key>@1,compatible</key>		<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>		<key>@1,device_type</key>		<string>display</string>		<key>@1,name</key>		<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>		<key>NVCAP</key>		<data>		BAAAAAAAAwAEAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=		</data>		<key>NVPM</key>		<data>		AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==		</data>		<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>		<string>0x30720000</string>		<key>device_type</key>		<string>NVDA,Parent</string>		<key>model</key>		<string>NVidia Geforce GTX 550 TI 3072 MB</string>		<key>name</key>		<string>display</string>		<key>rom-revision</key>		<string>NVidia Geforce GTX 550 TI 3072 MB OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>	</dict></plist>

smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[url="http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd%22>"]http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">[/url]
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>B8C2723E-99BC-5D10-8863-78964092C5B9</string>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>10/17/11</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM121.88Z.0047.B1D.1110171110</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-942B59F58194171B</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>200</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>3717</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmembankloc_3</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmembankloc_4</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_3</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_4</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_4</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmempart_3</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmempart_4</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemserial_3</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemserial_4</key>
<string></string>
<key>SMmemspeed_1</key>
<string>1333</string>
<key>SMmemspeed_2</key>
<string>1333</string>
<key>SMmemspeed_3</key>
<string>1333</string>
<key>SMmemspeed_4</key>
<string>1333</string>
<key>SMmemtype_1</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>SMmemtype_2</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>SMmemtype_3</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>SMmemtype_4</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac12,2</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02HP154DHJP</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Edited by PookyMacMan
spakk, as ZackehSoul said below, we would prefer that you encase large portions of text in code tags. To do so, type [code] just before the text and [/code] afterward as I have just done. Edit2: Yikes, what happened?? Or is it just Safari...

I think mods want people to put stuff like that between

tags :) (meaning the .plists)

sorry, I didn't understand you

with the latest connactic kernel, and flags: -x maxmem=2048>>>

In case you read this there has been a kernel panic.

There is no {censored} suport for running Lion on AMD.

You have to try fixing this yourself.

panic (cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002871b7 ) "pmap_steal_memory" @/Users/Jimihendrix/Desktop/XNUPATCHED/osfmk/vm/vm_resident.c:757

Debugger called:

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff800010be00 : 0xffffff800021d496 mach_kernel : _panic + 0xc6

0xffffff800010be70 : 0xffffff80002871b7 mach_kernel : _pmap_steal_memory + 0xa7

0xffffff800010bec0 : 0xffffff80002428fe mach_kernel : _zone_steal_memory + 0x1e

0xffffff800010bed0 : 0xffffff800070efec mach_kernel : _vm_page_bootstrap + 0x62c

0xffffff800010bf30 : 0xffffff800070e016mach_kernel : _vm_mem_bootstrap + 0x16

0xffffff800010bf60 : 0xffffff800070d3a9 mach_kernel : _kernel_bootstrap + 0x99

0xffffff800010bfa0 : 0xffffff80002bafd2 mach_kernel : _machine_startup + 0x1b2

0xffffff800010bfc0 : 0xffffff80002ad893 mach_kernel : _i386_init + 0x293

0xffffff800010bff0 : 0xffffff80002b2318 mach_kernel : _x86_init_wrapper + 0x8

can't perform kext scan: no kext summary

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Boot args: boot-uuid=BE275D42-FA96-91BA-FDFD940E6B3D rd=*uuid -v npci=0x2000 -x maxmem=2048 cpus=2 arch=x86_64

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 12.0.0: Fri Oct 5 03:08:06 BRT 2012; bronzovkAnVoodoo v0.9.30:XNUPATCHED/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64

System uptime in nanoseconds: 0

Second Test with: with connactic kernel, and flags: -v -x -f maxmem=4096

the same kernel panic!!!

spakk, please read what I wrote in the edit box for your post. Also, I think something strange happened with the first code box...you should probably repaste org.chameleon.boot.plist unless it's just my computer acting up. Sorry about that. :(

• Like 1

spakk, please read what I wrote in the edit box for your post. Also, I think something strange happened with the first code box...you should probably repaste org.chameleon.boot.plist unless it's just my computer acting up. Sorry about that. :(

sorry, can you explain that to me with an example, please

Intel Core i3-2350m with vanilla kernel.

Mountain Lion is running on my Samsung RV509 Pentium Dual Core P6200 - 2.13 GHz very stable

http://www.microchoix.ma/fiche-140080-SAMSUNG_NP_RV509_A02_DUAL_CORE_P6200_2_13GHz___Free_Dos.html

hi AMD users :)

had any one succeeded to boot on raid mode without panic ?

and is there solution for still waiting for root on ACHI mode (kernel solution) ?

on my system i work under 10.6.8 and IDE mode with atiata.kext

disable in the BIOS the FireWire

Mountain Lion is running on my Samsung RV509 Pentium Dual Core P6200 - 2.13 GHz very stable

http://www.microchoi...__Free_Dos.html

disable in the BIOS the FireWire

here is a good guide to install Snow Leopard, unfortunately in German http://www.root86.org/entry.php/16-AMD-Phenom-Retail-Tutorial-

Hi Mohamed Khairy

HFS HDD for Snow Leopard must be placed in the first place, it should be otherwise, then turn off the computer and put the SATA cable to the correct position. The other HDD's need to be placed on the other positions, otherwise, an error message occurs when booting -> AppleUSBOHCI ... still waiting for root device.l

my MB doesnt contain firewire

here is a good guide for M5A97pro socket AM3 + / Phenom x4 960 of gils, unfortunately in French

http://www.hack-my-mac.fr/index.php/forum/24-problemes-dinstallation-pc-amd/19491-iatkos-l2-sur-pc-amd

good luck

my MB doesnt contain firewire

ON Board 1394 Function [Disabled]

Intel Core i3-2350m with vanilla kernel.

On my Intel, the lack of corecrypto does not matter at all. Or else i forgot to rebuild the cache... hm, going to test it again: we must know how crucial corecrypto is. Because if it isn't, as i suspect, the problem is perhaps the same AMD users have since Leopard days when trying to boot with arch=x86_64: the lack of ssse3 instructions. That's why we need a Bulldozer - or Bobcat, or Trinity - to check this out.

here is a good guide for M5A97pro socket AM3 + / Phenom x4 960 of gils, unfortunately in French

http://www.hack-my-m...s-l2-sur-pc-amd

good luck

ON Board 1394 Function [Disabled]

didnt tried iatkos L2 as i stopped to use hacked retail dvd

so i only setup retail

i already tried retail lion 10.7.3 setup on my pc but there is panic

so i just fine with retail setup 10.6.8

-------

yes my motherboard doesnt contain firewire (1394)

-------

again does your pc boot on sata set to raid mode ? with out painic ?

didnt tried iatkos L2 as i stopped to use hacked retail dvd

so i only setup retail

i already tried retail lion 10.7.3 setup on my pc but there is panic

so i just fine with retail setup 10.6.8

-------

yes my motherboard doesnt contain firewire (1394)

-------

again does your pc boot on sata set to raid mode ? with out painic ?

Mohamed, we usually set our SATA mode to RAID when we haven't AHCI as an option, since RAID implies AHCI. This workaround has been successfully used in a plethora of old motherboards. I confess i didn't read carefully your posts though: do you want to use RAID as a workaround for AHCI, or do you really want to use RAID for what it is/does?