Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

I finally got a fully working 10.6.3 with network (no sound, but i don't use sound anyways) on my Dell XPS 410.

I used the retail 10.6.3 and restored it to a two partition guid extra hard drive (one partition 10 gig and one the rest)

I used the myHack Installer from http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ on the 10gig partition.

I was then able to boot using that partition and install Snow Leopard without issues. I used -v -f

I then ran the myHack installer on the successful snow leopard install and installed it.

I then used the kexts listed for 'waiting for root disk fix' and 'nvidia' on page 57 of this thread and the intel 82566mm kext from http://www.mediafire.com/file/md5jiidmmme/...l82566MM.SL.zip (found on this page http://leohazard.com/network.html) and moved them to /System/Library/Extensions

From terminal I rebuilt the cache using the directions found at http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/09/permissions-kext-caches/

I hope this helps someone as it finally got me a working 10.6.3 system.

I finally got a fully working 10.6.3 with network (no sound, but i don't use sound anyways) on my Dell XPS 410.

I used the retail 10.6.3 and restored it to a two partition guid extra hard drive (one partition 10 gig and one the rest)

I used the myHack Installer from http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ on the 10gig partition.

I was then able to boot using that partition and install Snow Leopard without issues. I used -v -f

I then ran the myHack installer on the successful snow leopard install and installed it.

I then used the kexts listed for 'waiting for root disk fix' and 'nvidia' on page 57 of this thread and the intel 82566mm kext from http://www.mediafire.com/file/md5jiidmmme/...l82566MM.SL.zip (found on this page http://leohazard.com/network.html) and moved them to /System/Library/Extensions

From terminal I rebuilt the cache using the directions found at http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/09/permissions-kext-caches/

I hope this helps someone as it finally got me a working 10.6.3 system.

I was also finally able to get the network working.. i used the kext from kexts.com and kext helper to install it and then used osx86 tools to repair permissions so I am up and running fully in 10.6.4... one question though... when u put the 'waiting for root disk fix' in your /System/Library/Extensions folder do you occassionaly get an error that it was installed incorrectly? and is there a way to fix that? I don't wana loose them...

This has got to be the single most frustrating install I've EVER done.

None of the methods posted seem to be working. The most recent tutorial posted gets me a KP almost as soon as it tries to load the installer. With Chameleon, I can select my Snow install, but then I get the #$@!! "Waiting for boot device" error, because I can't figure out how to edit the com.apple.boot.plist file.

I'm nearly ready to just stick with 10.5. It's just not worth the aggrevation. It's almost like watching the US vs Algeria without the 91st minute. :)

Shaftspaz send me pm and I'll give you my phone number so you can call and I will help you out man. Sorry you have to pm me so I can reply. For some reason it won't let me start a private message from my iPhone.

I am having the same issue as joshua if someone could walk me through how to put the installer on and internal drive instead of a flash drive and install it like that it would be much appreciated.

I was also finally able to get the network working.. i used the kext from kexts.com and kext helper to install it and then used osx86 tools to repair permissions so I am up and running fully in 10.6.4... one question though... when u put the 'waiting for root disk fix' in your /System/Library/Extensions folder do you occassionaly get an error that it was installed incorrectly? and is there a way to fix that? I don't wana loose them...

I haven't received that error. I still do about 30% of the time when booting receive the waiting for root disk error, but a couple restarts usually fixes it. Any advice? I'm also keeping my old leopard install just in case i have to fix anything.

I haven't received that error. I still do about 30% of the time when booting receive the waiting for root disk error, but a couple restarts usually fixes it. Any advice? I'm also keeping my old leopard install just in case i have to fix anything.

nevermind... raid on fixed this 100% for me

If you have problems with os x saying that kexts were installed incorrectly install them with kext helper (google it, I can't up load it I'm out of town and I only have my iPhone) then use disk utility to repair permissions and then got to system/library/caches/startup items and put extensions.mkext in the trash and empty the trash. Reboot os x and your kext error should be gone.

Yup yup :( I've got my XPS 410 with me now. Did a fresh install, updated to 10.6.4 from 10.6.0 using Software Update and everything went smooth.

Anyways, for those who aren't seeing their HD when trying to install:

1. Set your BIOS to defaults. Which means RAID ON

2. Install SL, install all your .kext files

3. Repair your Disk Permissions

4. Reboot, and Software Update

5. RAID-AUTO now

6. You'll have 10.6.4 running smooth!

Good Luck once again :( I've just done a fresh install, and it took like 37 minutes total :P

Don't know how you guys are doing this. Everything I've tried = EPIC FAIL! Booting from the USB means that the installer only sees the USB. Tried booting from an internal hard drive means that I get stuck on the "Still Waiting For Root Device" error.

My BIOS is set to default, which is RAID ON. I have formatted and reformatted, making sure to make the partitions GUID. I've even used the AppleAHCIPort.kext that I use to SUCCESSFULLY boot into 10.5.8, only to meet failure head-on every time.

If it wasn't for the couple of cool programs that I have currently on the MAC, I'd reformat everything and just stick to Windows. Apparently, I'm too stupid to install Snow Leopard with the instructions you all have posted here.

Any assistance will be appreciated, otherwise, I'm just gonna say "F**K Snow Leopard!"

Yup yup :D I've got my XPS 410 with me now. Did a fresh install, updated to 10.6.4 from 10.6.0 using Software Update and everything went smooth.

Anyways, for those who aren't seeing their HD when trying to install:

1. Set your BIOS to defaults. Which means RAID ON

2. Install SL, install all your .kext files

3. Repair your Disk Permissions

4. Reboot, and Software Update

5. RAID-AUTO now

6. You'll have 10.6.4 running smooth!

Good Luck once again :thumbsdown_anim: I've just done a fresh install, and it took like 37 minutes total :D

Don't know how you guys are doing this. Everything I've tried = EPIC FAIL! Booting from the USB means that the installer only sees the USB. Tried booting from an internal hard drive means that I get stuck on the "Still Waiting For Root Device" error.

My BIOS is set to default, which is RAID ON. I have formatted and reformatted, making sure to make the partitions GUID. I've even used the AppleAHCIPort.kext that I use to SUCCESSFULLY boot into 10.5.8, only to meet failure head-on every time.

If it wasn't for the couple of cool programs that I have currently on the MAC, I'd reformat everything and just stick to Windows. Apparently, I'm too stupid to install Snow Leopard with the instructions you all have posted here.

Any assistance will be appreciated, otherwise, I'm just gonna say "F**K Snow Leopard!"

Lol, F* Leopard! Snow Leopard FTW! Really. I've had Leopard installed, but nahh... Anyways, here's what you should do. Go to Best Buy, buy an HD, unplug your current HD, plug the new one, make 1 partition, install Snow Leopard, do the backups bla bla from your current drive, and now you have 29 days to return the new HD. Do the exact same but changing the path of the HDs and return the one you bought.

Anyways, here's something new. I've got nVidia GeForce GT 9400 1gb, 1tb HD, Snow Leopard 10.6.4, Magic Mouse (battery life sucks) and Apple Wireless keyboard (sweet thing!)... Now I wanna upgrade my CPU.

Like BrownDogFred said before, upgrading Processor will brake Snow Leopard install..? Also, what is a good processor for the Dell XPS 410? I'm thinking to drop around 300 for it :lol:

Booting from the USB means that the installer only sees the USB.

Set your BIOS to Defaults! You'll see your HD

iMoshi --

I have 4 hard drives currently installed in my system, and I always boot in the default setting (which, to my understanding is RAID ON).

When I use the USB "iHack" tool or Chameleon, I can get into the installer program, but it sees ONLY the USB drive, it FAILS to see the TWO hard drives I have MAC formatted.

When I try to do the install from an internal HD (2 partitions, both GUID, one 10 GB w/ Snow DVD restored to it, and the rest of the drive as the other partition), "iHack" or Chameleon see the installation partition, but then time out on the "Still waiting for root device" error.

Should I really go through and try to disconnect my other hard drives? Is it really THAT big of a deal to have the Snow Leo drive connected to SATA0? (That's the drive that my Leopard install is currently using.)

Lol, F* Leopard! Snow Leopard FTW! Really. I've had Leopard installed, but nahh... Anyways, here's what you should do. Go to Best Buy, buy an HD, unplug your current HD, plug the new one, make 1 partition, install Snow Leopard, do the backups bla bla from your current drive, and now you have 29 days to return the new HD. Do the exact same but changing the path of the HDs and return the one you bought.

Anyways, here's something new. I've got nVidia GeForce GT 9400 1gb, 1tb HD, Snow Leopard 10.6.4, Magic Mouse (battery life sucks) and Apple Wireless keyboard (sweet thing!)... Now I wanna upgrade my CPU.

Like BrownDogFred said before, upgrading Processor will brake Snow Leopard install..? Also, what is a good processor for the Dell XPS 410? I'm thinking to drop around 300 for it :)

Set your BIOS to Defaults! You'll see your HD

iMoshi --

I have 4 hard drives currently installed in my system, and I always boot in the default setting (which, to my understanding is RAID ON).

When I use the USB "iHack" tool or Chameleon, I can get into the installer program, but it sees ONLY the USB drive, it FAILS to see the TWO hard drives I have MAC formatted.

When I try to do the install from an internal HD (2 partitions, both GUID, one 10 GB w/ Snow DVD restored to it, and the rest of the drive as the other partition), "iHack" or Chameleon see the installation partition, but then time out on the "Still waiting for root device" error.

Should I really go through and try to disconnect my other hard drives? Is it really THAT big of a deal to have the Snow Leo drive connected to SATA0? (That's the drive that my Leopard install is currently using.)

Well, you should have SATA 0 Enabled from BIOS, all others disabled and unplugged. That fixed a lot for me. I first installed Snow Leopard/Vanilla from a 500 GB external drive.

iMoshi --

Tried it your way...same results. Getting very frustrated.

I am able to start the Snow Leopard in Leopard and tell it to install to the partition I want it to go to. It runs for about 5 mins, then wants to reboot. After that, game over.

Don't really know which end is up right now...

Well, you should have SATA 0 Enabled from BIOS, all others disabled and unplugged. That fixed a lot for me. I first installed Snow Leopard/Vanilla from a 500 GB external drive.

iMoshi --

Tried it your way...same results. Getting very frustrated.

I am able to start the Snow Leopard in Leopard and tell it to install to the partition I want it to go to. It runs for about 5 mins, then wants to reboot. After that, game over.

Don't really know which end is up right now...

Get yourself a Retail Copy of Snow Leopard DVD :) that might fix it...

I have one of those as well.

No matter what I do, the Snow Leopard installer only wants to either see the USB flash drive or nothing at all. Tried every fix I can find for the "Still Waiting for boot device" error to no avail. This is just a hot mess.

I have one of those as well.

No matter what I do, the Snow Leopard installer only wants to either see the USB flash drive or nothing at all. Tried every fix I can find for the "Still Waiting for boot device" error to no avail. This is just a hot mess.

Ok try this. Set your BIOS to "whatever"because Chameleon RC 3 will reset it. Go to the installer, Utilities -> Disk Utility, of course you won't see your HD, and just unplug your computer. Power it up, boot from the USB using -f -v, Disk Utility -> Disk Utility. It might take some "loading"time to see your HD, and you'll see your HD.

If you do see your HD this time, keep moving your mouse while installing. Like you know... Just a hope that your HD won't sleep on you.

Good luck!

After many, many, many, did I mention many attempts? I got this piece up and running on 10.6.4!! To be honest I literally have no idea how, but I pretty much gathered pieces from this thread and was on my way.

Basically, I started off with:

Dr Phred's post #1030 in this thread. One thing I didn't do was #4 because I use a different card and my PC seems to work in RAID set to AUTO, so I didn't bother to mess with it after.

After installing, SL from my MBP onto my hard drive, I used this guide as well: http://earthview.co.uk/2009/11/install-gui...on-9200-dxp061/

I'm having 2 small issues (issues I can live with but I'm sure it'll bug me for a bit if I don't at least try to get them fixed now):

1. I'm using Chameleon 2 RC4 - when I get to the bootloader, I have to manually press the enter button to get things going. If I don't it just sits there. I remember when I was using an older version of Chameleon in my Leopard install I had a little bar that would go down and in a few seconds it would start on its own. Is there a fix for this?

2. I go into verbose mode (-v) and it seems like it sort of hangs when I get to "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed"

Comparing boot-up times from Leopard to Snow Leopard, SL takes a bit longer than L because it hangs there for a good minute. Any solutions to that?

Other than these 2 little things, everything is running perfectly.

Thanks everyone that has contributed to this thread!

Well, iMoshi, at least you're suggesting stuff.

Tried it and it didn't work. Apparently, the kexts I have for my SATA hard drives just don't work with Snow Leopard. I was able to get it installed on a USB external drive, but the stupid thing won't boot. It just locks up my system.

I'll keep trying. I see other people having success, but this seems to be much harder than installing Leopard.

Ok try this. Set your BIOS to "whatever"because Chameleon RC 3 will reset it. Go to the installer, Utilities -> Disk Utility, of course you won't see your HD, and just unplug your computer. Power it up, boot from the USB using -f -v, Disk Utility -> Disk Utility. It might take some "loading"time to see your HD, and you'll see your HD.

If you do see your HD this time, keep moving your mouse while installing. Like you know... Just a hope that your HD won't sleep on you.

Good luck!

HOLY {censored}!!!

Gave up on the internal SATA drive and went to an external USB drive I had hanging around. Got Snow Leopard installed, then booted into Leopard to copy the "iHack" stuff onto the external USB drive. Got the shock of my life when the little {censored} actually BOOTED into Snow Leopard!!!

Just now have the network stuff running. Now to try for sound and video (running dual monitors under Leopard). Thanks to RobG, BrownDogFred, and most recently iMoshi...I actually am running Snow Leopard now!!!

Yes, it was very frustrating, but I'm very excited now. I'll keep y'all posted...if you care.

oh what a little {censored}!!! lol ;) that's weird! I've recently upgraded my HD from the stock one, and I had to install SL. Installer of course did not see my new HD, so I just powered down my computer turned it back on, did't touch anything from the BIOS (saying it got reset, and was set on RAID ON), and everything went smooth. This is weird. Also, what are your BIOS versions? I've got mine updated to the latest one which I think is 2.5.x

Anyways, have fun playing with it!