Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

I use voodoohda I have uploaded the 64 bit version to this thread some pages back

that mediafire link isnt working. Also I Have My graphics working i dont want to change nothing that has to do with my graphic i have a 9800GT 1GB and u uploaded it for the 73XX series. I just want to get sound working nothing else.

Here is the Snow Leopard files again. This link is working. I dont know what was wrong with the other one. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=47FX5UWG

Please dont come and {censored} The link didnt work not my fault. Your systems are "Working" Why do you need to download the files I use my time to put together and upload? Your doing it just to {censored}. So {censored} You.

seriously ipc 10.5.6 final installed quite a few times, changed bios settings to all different settings that i have read through out this thread, used blue sata cable on 2nd hd. turned auto raid etc.. allways get still waiting on root device {censored}. bios is the newest version 2.5.3 i think. the ipc live works but the about this mac shows funk processor speed and stuff...

I would appreciate some help. like i've said, i have been through this entire thread and all the patchs and kext stuff i just dont get 100%..

just install chameleon and replace files with those from EFI folder and boot in AHCI mode.

includes:

fixed boot1h in Chameleon folder that i have recompiled

beta PC EFI from netkas

fixed DSDT

latest fakeSMC from netkas

voodoohda (install in /S/L/E)

7300LE works with graphics enabler, there is no need to use patched kexts

there is no need to download rob's DVD just install this on USB flash to try. it works for 10.6, 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.

oh and everybody who's laughing at Rob knows why

Archive.zip

Hello,

First, sorry for my english :-(

I've a xps 420 (420=410) but as there is not topic on this, i read your entire post (not easy).

To begin, i've a simple question :

If SL is installed on a HD (with chameleon, the modified boot1h), is it possible to boot on this HD without the "still waiting for root device" issue and without the flash drive ?

Thanks

Baalrugh

• 2 weeks later...
just install chameleon and replace files with those from EFI folder and boot in AHCI mode.

includes:

fixed boot1h in Chameleon folder that i have recompiled

beta PC EFI from netkas

fixed DSDT

latest fakeSMC from netkas

voodoohda (install in /S/L/E)

7300LE works with graphics enabler, there is no need to use patched kexts

there is no need to download rob's DVD just install this on USB flash to try. it works for 10.6, 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.

oh and everybody who's laughing at Rob knows why

Archive.zip

Man, maybe I'm just too stupid to live, but even when after installing the boot1h from your Chameleon folder I still get the boot1h:error. I'm installing it using the normal manual chameleon method. Anything else I'm supposed to do?

If you pulled down the chameleon files, you'd use that boot1h and overwrite the one in that package. Then follow Chameleon's 'readme' in the doc folder for using Terminal commands to build the boot and move it onto your disk. That will get it past the boo1h:error. I had the same issue with my 420 and needed this to get around it. Sounds like you just missed that step. Directions are pretty clear, and I've actually done it for my RAID Stripe and it worked. Only issue I had was some of my drives kept changing order on me.

Man, maybe I'm just too stupid to live, but even when after installing the boot1h from your Chameleon folder I still get the boot1h:error. I'm installing it using the normal manual chameleon method. Anything else I'm supposed to do?

Still waiting on root device - if you use the dsdt.aml in that package plus the Extensions they've referenced for the XPS 410 and you've adjusted your SATA Mode to "RAID ON" aka AHCI, you should be in business.

Hi,

can you suggest me the page of this thread where I can find a step by step guide to update my 10.5.8 osx to 10.6? Or to install from zero the 10.6 version? Actually I have a working 10.5.8 OSX on a Dimension 9200 (same as XPS410) but with 8800gts 512mb and audigy2.

Thanks and my apologize if already asked.

I've got my Dell XPS 410 running 10.5.8. Everything is good for the most part. I don't have Quartz Extreme which is kind of a drag. I'd like to go to SL 10.6.2 and of course have the QE fixed. I've got the Radeon ATI X1300 graphics card which is capable of it.....just looking for a good method.

If anyone has any good info on getting to SL and/or getting the QE fixed, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

If you pulled down the chameleon files, you'd use that boot1h and overwrite the one in that package. Then follow Chameleon's 'readme' in the doc folder for using Terminal commands to build the boot and move it onto your disk. That will get it past the boo1h:error. I had the same issue with my 420 and needed this to get around it. Sounds like you just missed that step. Directions are pretty clear, and I've actually done it for my RAID Stripe and it worked. Only issue I had was some of my drives kept changing order on me.

Works now. Turns out I just needed to make the third terminal command for installing Chameleon point to the correct volume. It defaults to the boot volume and I was installing it another drive.

If it helps anyone else:

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
 		sudo cp boot /

just added "Volumes/Snow" to it and all worked.

Now I just need drivers for my ATI 2600 Pro.

Still waiting on root device - if you use the dsdt.aml in that package plus the Extensions they've referenced for the XPS 410 and you've adjusted your SATA Mode to "RAID ON" aka AHCI, you should be in business.

Hello Xenophex,

I suppose that your response is for me, but with my xps420, i still have this issue (still wainting on root .....). Do you have a more detailed configuration, please ? and also, my bios version is A07 and you ?

Thanks a lot

Baalrugh

Maaaybe it was b/c I stayed up disturbingly late trying to get SL 10.6 installed on my machine......but here goes.

So my XPS 410 is running perfect on Leopard 10.5.8 [fast with raid/sound/internet/QE] Just all around good.

After getting more familiar with things and getting the kinks worked out with my machine, I dove back into this thread to try to get SL 10.6 installed so I could have a dual boot setup. [10.5.8 and 10.6.2]

Anyhow, in terms of installing SL.....I used a mix of RobG's kext and frantisheq's......

Restored my DVD image to a USB drive, installed Chameleon RC3, and then replaced the kexts that I'd gathered. I set the boot.plist and platform kext to use the USB uuid to boot, then installed SL on my newly created partition, changed the boot.plist and platform kext to the HD partition uuid and that worked fine. I had to tweak the boot.plist file for display and inserted my EFI string for my Nvidia 9400 gt and things looked solid.

No sound though.....tried the AppleHDA and voodooHDA kexts but go nothing......didn't really care at the moment b/c network connection worked and even my wifi card was recognized as an airport connection which not even Leopard 10.5.8 would do that.....so that was cool.

I didn't really dig too much into everything else b/c I wanted to hit up the dual boot and thats where my mind went blank....

1. Can boot Leopard without a USB but NOT Snow Leopard.

2. Do I need to remove the boot.plist flags on Leopard so I can see the disks? I just realized I had it on quiet boot so I never see that.

So its probably something simple but my mind is fried......but I've got this picture of booting my computer, the Chameleon screen comes up with 2 options, Leopard or SnowLeopard..........haha. How do I get that?

Any help would be steller.

Thanks.

/browndogfred