Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

iMoshi:

I have mine set to auto and havent had any problem with the "no boot..." since I went up to 10.6.

Do you have any other boot partitions?

Mine have four partitions but only one system partition and no snags so far...

/B

Thanks Bezerk! BrownDogFred has been helping me almost for a week. Now I'm a master at this. Well, but there are some missing parts and manuals, and I'm trying to put up everything together and write down a nice tutorial :P (eventhough there are many). That's the least I can do to give credit for BrownDogFred.

Thanks again guys!

edit: Also, is 500GB external drive big enough for Time Machine? I have a 320GB Internal HD, which means this 500GB ED can keep a copy of everything inside. And will Time Machine keep all my vanilla data and kexts etc? Will I be good to go if I mess up my system, but restore using Time Machine? :(

Also, I do have EFI Update 1.3 tool installed. This hasn't been causing any issues. It was all me, who was doing a bad job keeping the Vanilla clean :P

Well, I found EFI updater pretty helpful. It can backup, restore... Well, you'll use it once a year I guess :P

Anyways, Thank you again BrownDogFred. Sorry guys, he's been busy helping me 8 days a week :D

Does any of you use CleanMyMac on your Vanilla? Is it safe?

Hello,

I am fairly new to this community. I want to install snow leopard on my Dell XPS 410. does my hardware support snow leopard? If not what upgrades are needed. Here is my configuration

Dell XPS 410

Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.86 GHz

128 MB Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE graphics card

Creative SB X-Fi sound card

120 GB SATA hard drive which has windows 7 currently installed

500 GB Western Digital secondary hard drive

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Snow Cheetah

Hello,

I am fairly new to this community. I want to install snow leopard on my Dell XPS 410. does my hardware support snow leopard? If not what upgrades are needed. Here is my configuration

Dell XPS 410

Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.86 GHz

128 MB Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE graphics card

Creative SB X-Fi sound card

120 GB SATA hard drive which has windows 7 currently installed

500 GB Western Digital secondary hard drive

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Snow Cheetah

Yeah, it will work. Your SB won't, but the on-board sound should work just fine.

I'd upgrade the video card, but it's all good.

Does anybody know why snow leopard isn't detecting my Windows 7 HDD? I have 2 backups that are NTFS Format that are detected but my Windows 7 isn't. If anybody could point me in the right direction it will be appreciated.

Well, I would like to help you but... You may have deleted it? :) j/k. Snow Leopard can read NTFS, and it has always been able to read my other partitions. Weird...

• 3 weeks later...
10.6.3 worked great from software update.

It works fine for me too, except I have to use the -f boot flag/switch in order to boot up. Without that I get the good old "waiting for boot device".

For now I just edited my com.apple.Boot.plist file with that in there......still annoying that I had to do that.

Anyone have any idea as to why?

Thanks.

@browndogfred

Also having the exact same issue. I've decieded to revert back to 10.6.2 from a pre-update clone.

Before reverting I tried:

FIxing permissions

Updating from Chameleon RC3 to RC4

Updating :( will post how it went

edit: Yup, have to use -f but no biggie :D

@browndogfred

Also having the exact same issue. I've decieded to revert back to 10.6.2 from a pre-update clone.

Before reverting I tried:

FIxing permissions

Updating from Chameleon RC3 to RC4

I'll mess with it and figure it out tonight, I mean its not thaaat big a deal, just not a fan of having to use a "band aid" on my install. I just edited my boot.plist and added the -f and its fine now but its not what I want.

I'll post any findings/fixes that I come across.

To fix the booting with -f all you need to do is copy all your modded kext to system library extentions then down load mkext tool then put the new mkext in system library caches startup. Then restart and you can boot with out -f. It's easy.

For all of those having the issue with "still waiting for root device" issues, I've found a fix. Attached is an updated AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext which works properly.

There is no further need to use the -f boot flag/switch.

So for those using the EFI set up:

1. download the attached kext, put it in the EFIkext directory and run the ./update.sh script to update.

2. reboot with NO flags

Let me know of results.

Thanks.

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.zip

For all of those having the issue with "still waiting for root device" issues, I've found a fix. Attached is an updated AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext which works properly.

There is no further need to use the -f boot flag/switch.

So for those using the EFI set up:

1. download the attached kext, put it in the EFIkext directory and run the ./update.sh script to update.

2. reboot with NO flags

Let me know of results.

Thanks.

Wow. You really do put lots of heart for it :P

BrownDogFred FTW!!!

You can use the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext that you have already if you rebuild the extensions.mkext. It's good to rebuild before you restart after the update them this problem could be avoided all together

You can use the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext that you have already if you rebuild the extensions.mkext. It's good to rebuild before you restart after the update them this problem could be avoided all together

What is rebuilding them extensions.mkext? like install new kext files? or just ./update.sh and repair permissions? for me, replacing the kext file provided from BrownDogFred worked like a charm

rebuilding the extensions.mkext is rebuilding the file that tells os x what kext to include at start up.

Ohh sweet. Hey umm, do the kexts in EFI partition load when booting up? Or EFI partition just delivers those kexts to the right place?

Also, I have this weird graphic card. and having bit of issues with the DVI cable. it just lags... any help on it :)

Um..... Get a support graphics card. Cheep cards suck and if your card is not supported on the wiki http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

then get one that is. Graphics cards are a pain in the ass. What graphics card do you have?

Yeah, this one really does. I have nVidia GeForce GT220X 1GB. Kinda being busy replacing it with a supported one, also I wanna succeed on it ;) it's just the QuickLook, Spaces, Dashboard etc that I'm having problems with when using DVI cable. It lags. So behind me ;)

That card does not support quartz or core image. It is garbage in os x. If you want to make work I hope you know how to program. I have the nvidia 9400 1gb and it works great under windows and os x. It's easier to get a supported card graphics are a pain in the ass.

That card does not support quartz or core image. It is garbage in os x. If you want to make work I hope you know how to program. I have the nvidia 9400 1gb and it works great under windows and os x. It's easier to get a supported card graphics are a pain in the ass.

I guess it is a garbage. I don't know how to program when it comes to something different than php. Is yours http://goo.gl/puXV ? Also, when you say supported, you mean the ones that Snow Leopard support out of the box? Or something like OSX86Tools etc