Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Can You Please Explain To Me What Is It EXACTLY THAT I Need with this torrent you uploaded. I downloaded the torrent and i couldn't boot it. the only time i could actually get into it was if i was already in Leopard. I Have a XPS 410 And I Want To Get Snow Leopard Running.

I'm in the same boat.

Update to 10.6.2 with software update just put thisAppleACHIport kext in system/library/extensions and in the extra/extensions folder (the one from 10.6.1 or 10.6 wont work) rebuild your extensions.mkext for your start up disk and for the extra/extentions and restart and your good. if you have problems try booting with -f -v AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip

It looks like 10.6.2 graphics kext take q/e away from the 7300le and the kext from 10.6.1 don't work. So I'm editing the kext for 10.6.2 now. I'll post them as soon as they are done.

So once the new kext is uploaded and then added, will this allow for the install to start?

The problem I had with the install you uploaded was that it wasn't even recognized when trying to boot off a disc......I put the file on a usb drive and it wasn't readable either.

Thanks.

It looks like 10.6.2 graphics kext take q/e away from the 7300le and the kext from 10.6.1 don't work. So I'm editing the kext for 10.6.2 now. I'll post them as soon as they are done.

I burnt the original DMG install to dvd on another MAC and then attempted to boot it on my PC and it wouldn't read it......but its read-able on the MAC.

Probably something I'm doing wrong.

I'll edit the kext updates on the mac and try burning it to a dvd again and go from there......or do you recommend a usb drive?

thanks.

The DMG not booting is my fault. I have to make it an iso. Sorry my mind is in 1000 places right now I'm swamped with work. I'll get it fixed tonight.

Thanks man!!!

I'll wait for the new one, update the kexts and hopefully get everything up and going.

Restore The Image to a flash drive or HDD and boot with Cham 2 and it will work. I am Working on the dvd issues.

Thank You Very Much. I Wanted To Ask You When I Restore The Image I Restart And Boot To Where I Restored it And Install Or Just Restore And Install From Inside Leopard? Because When I Try to Install from in leopard it does not install it says the installation will continue on restart and never does anything. Your Help Would Be Gladly Appreciated.

Boot from where you restored it then install

Finally Got It Working... Thanks Man..... How Would I Go About Fixing The Audio? I tried the Sigmatel 9227 Codec And It Does Not Seem To Work

Also Can I Update Directly From Apple?

This reminds me all about the time the NIC driver was fabricated......

Glad to see the old Rob is back :)

Groot Koos

The DMG not booting is my fault. I have to make it an iso. Sorry my mind is in 1000 places right now I'm swamped with work. I'll get it fixed tonight.

Ok Now I Have A Major Problem. After Making A Little Partition Out Of My Windows Hard Drive I formated It to Mac Extended I restore the image there and i installed it to the Snow GUID Hard Drive & now when I deleted the Little Partition I did I can No Longer Boot Into Snow. How Can I Fix This? Also When I did the install It Failed & Said The Installer Could Not Start Up The Computer From The Disk "Snow"

had the installer fail at the end to. But it worked when I restarted. You need to install Cham rc3 to a flash drvie and boot from it an u can boot to snow Leo. It sounds like you erased your partition with your boot loader on it.

Groot koos I did make a snow Leo installer for the for the 410 it's just not working from DVD. It works fine from USB or partition. La marivish just used it to install. Leave this tread. I'm trying to help people and your just causing problems.

had the installer fail at the end to. But it worked when I restarted. You need to install Cham rc3 to a flash drvie and boot from it an u can boot to snow Leo. It sounds like you erased your partition with your boot loader on it.

Groot koos I did make a snow Leo installer for the for the 410 it's just not working from DVD. It works fine from USB or partition. La marivish just used it to install. Leave this tread. I'm trying to help people and your just causing problems.

after i put the bootloader to the flash drive i dont have to keep using the flash drive to boot snow right? i just install cham rc3 on the snow hd when i log in correct?

after i put the bootloader to the flash drive i dont have to keep using the flash drive to boot snow right? i just install cham rc3 on the snow hd when i log in correct?

Yeah you have to install RC3 and follow the readme instructions. You have to Open Terminal and set your boot drive. Its like 3 lines ending up with you copying the boot to your root thru command line.

Keep in mind you need to replace the boot1h with the one compiled in this thread somewhere You can google the problem by just searching "XPS 410 boot1: error". Dell had some error in there bios that made it so it couldn't accept a negative integer and you'll end up with a boot1: Error otherwise.

I had the same issue with my XPS 420.

Make sure your Bios has Raid Mode ON.

From what I gather you have to be using the first SATA Port to run SL.

My XPS 420 is a bit more tempermental than the 410 was. Think its because I'm running all my SATA ports minus ESATA.

Yeah you have to install RC3 and follow the readme instructions. You have to Open Terminal and set your boot drive. Its like 3 lines ending up with you copying the boot to your root thru command line.

Keep in mind you need to replace the boot1h with the one compiled in this thread somewhere You can google the problem by just searching "XPS 410 boot1: error". Dell had some error in there bios that made it so it couldn't accept a negative integer and you'll end up with a boot1: Error otherwise.

My XPS 420 is a bit more tempermental than the 410 was. Think its because I'm running all my SATA ports minus ESATA.

Thanks Man.... I appreciate all the help. Ok I Have A Few Questions. First The Boot Drive Which Is? The Flash Drive Or The Actual Snow HD? & Also Can I Update directly with apple when I Install Snow?

Im having A Hard Time Booting From The USB Stick.. Do I Need To Use The Terminal To make It The Boot Drive?

Man I did what you said but something is not right. I have a working leopard 10.5.6 so from there i install chameleon to the snow drive through terminal but when i try to boot to snow it just loads and then the image with the / comes up. & why would i need to have Raid On? your the first person to tell me I need to do that. I did everything u did including replacing the boot1h file with the one from this thread.

Ok this is what i gathered so far. I install Leopard 10.5.6 restore snow leo 410 image to a small partition on another hard drive boot up to where i restored the image and install. after i install chameleon to the snow drive i delete leopard 10.5.6 and can no longer boot into snow... can someone direct me in the right direction? all i want to do is when i turn my computer on is boot into snow or windows 7 thats all i dont wanna have no extra partitions and other OS X's. It will be appreciated.