Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Here is where I'm at.

1. 1 hard drive

2. 2 partions [leopard and snow leopard]

3. I've been booting with RAID set to ON for Leopard and its been great.....fast.

4. Downloaded/installed the newest Chameleon RC4, tried 2 and 3 also.

5. Upon reboot, I don't get the Chameleon loader screen, I get this:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: testing

boot0: done

So, I had to boot back into Leopard using my old install USB that I've kept handy.....works fine. I then re-installed the Chameleon/EFI bootloader for hard disks.....and now I'm able to boot back into my original/working Leopard.

This bootloader does list both partitions, Leopard on 0,2 and SnowLeo on 0,3. I can go directly to Leopard without any options as normal but when I try going to my new SnowLeo partition, I get the following:

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4232990.

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4232990.

And it just sits there......in order to go into Snow Leopard, I've got to restart my machine, boot from my SnowLeo install USB and that works.

I know plenty of you all are running dual boot with Leopard and Snow Leopard.......any help you can lend would be excellent.

Its a drag, I've got 2 working installations basically but its lame having to boot off USB's to get the new one to work.

HELP. :)

Cheers.

I used a little 129mb thumb drive and installed Chameleon RC4 on it and just plugged it in the back of my computer. I then set BIOS to boot off USB.

So everything is good. Able to fully boot into Leopard 10.5.8 and Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with no issues. Both boot up in roughly 30 seconds if that......

Dell XPS 410

320GB HDD

Leopard OSX 10.5.8 and Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Quartz Extreme

Sound

Network

nVidia 9400 GT

Chameleon RC4 [basic installer options]

With Leopard, I'd like to give a big thanks to Rob G......I used Leo4All to get 10.5.2 installed myself and then he walked me through updating to 10.5.8.

Thanks to both Rob G and Frantisheq for their Snow Leopard posts and files.

Been a huge learning experience.....gnarly but worth it.

If I can help anyone, let me know.......I might just be the last person to actually get this set up. haha.

Cheers.

I'm now up and running with 10.5.8 & 10.6.2 without using a flash drive.

my steps:

1 Installed Snow Leopard to a black HD using a real mac (Mac Pro)

2 used Rob G's files from this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...38&st=1000#

3 Used Chameleon RC4

4 used netkas aty-init for my Nvidia 9500: http://netkas.org/?p=116

5 turned RAID on in Bios

Everything works, including Audio and CI/QE.

• 2 weeks later...

Not being satisfied with booting from a USB, I decided to NOT leave my XPS410 alone and start digging around for a way to do a clean/Vanilla install.

So, obviously using the necessary kexts from this post, I found a Vanilla install guide from Dalton. I must say its pretty awesome and straight forward.

The install takes place on the "hidden" EFI partition, in turn leaving the actually SL install untouched, therefore leaving you with a Vanilla set-up. Meaning updates are pretty much worry free......I can't say 100% worry free, but a lot safer than hacked up /System/Library/Extensions and stuff.

Anyhow, when I get home I can detail his steps out or steer anyone in the right direction.

Again, it was very simple and straight forward.

Left me with:

Dell XPS410

Snow Leopard 10.6.2 [Vanilla]

EFI partition set-up

Sound working [VoodooHDA]

Graphics working [nvidia 9400 gt w/ EFI string and QE]

**and doesn't require a bloody USB to boot up**

Again, not being totally familiar with the whole posting rules on here, I didn't want to put the steps down but I can provide the link or PM anyone who needs it.........or if anyone knows if its cool to post the link or steps, let me know.

Cheers.

/browndogfred

Clean install using the guide.

- At least an 8gb USB drive.

- 2 partitions in MBR format

- 1 partition called BOOTLOADER at 200mb

- 1 partition with SL install DVD restored to it.

- add the 9 needed XPS410 kexts to the BOOTLOADER partition and replace the kexts that were there

by default.

- Boot computer off the USB and run the install as normal. Use Disk Utility to select/partition your hard

drive as needed. [in my case, 1 hard drive, single GUID partition called Snow Leopard]

- I selected customize on the install screen and unchecked EVERYTHING.....knowing that I could get

stuff later.

- Install completes. Pretty sure it shows that it failed.....don't worry about it.

- Reboot computer as instructed and again boot off USB.

- select the new hard drive that SL has been installed to.

- I think i used -f -v as boot flags the first time.......just so i could see what was happening.

- After you get to your desktop, don't worry about graphics/sound/internet.

- Run the EFI finisher from the guide. If you don't have internet, you can put the EFI finisher on

the original USB drive and then you'll have it for after the install.

- Run the EFI finisher. When its done, go will now have a directory/folder called Vanilla. This will be

located under your Snow Leopard folder in Finder.

- Within the Vanilla folder will be more folders. [EFIkext, SLEkext, boot.plist, DSDT, etc]

- Place your 9 kexts into the EFIkext folder.

- Run the ./update.sh script after ANY changes to these directories/folders.

- Put the voodooHDA.kext and Intel82566mm.kext into the SLEkext folder too.

- Put the dsdt.aml file from this post into the DSDT folder/directory.

- Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file to your liking in the boot.plist folder/directory.

* I used the partition and boot-uuid kernel flags, but probably only one is needed*

If I recall correctly, I used kexthelper to manually install the sound and ethernet kexts......it might not be needed but I did it anyways. Other than that, do NOT install anymore kexts as it defeats the purpose of a "vanilla" install.

I used OSX86 tools to enable Quartz for my video card and also used it to create a custom EFI string for my graphics card. [nVidia GeForce 9400GT]. After creating the string, I added it to my com.apple.Boot.plist.

The important thing is to run the ./update.sh script after any changes to those directories within the Vanilla folder.

So now your essential kexts are loaded to the EFIkext directory and the system kexts are loaded to the SLEkext directory and in this case I have put both kexts into the actual /S/L/E directory.

Repair disk permissions using Disk Utility.

Eject the USB drive.

Reboot as normal with the hard drive as the boot up device.

You should come to the Darwin prompt and be able to select your hard drive/partition.

I think I booted again with the -f -v flags for the first time.......you can try both with or without.

Should be good to go.

• 1 month later...
Hello Xenophex,

I suppose that your response is for me, but with my xps420, i still have this issue (still wainting on root .....). Do you have a more detailed configuration, please ? and also, my bios version is A07 and you ?

Thanks a lot

Baalrugh

I have the "still waiting for root device" only after updating to 10.6.2. 10.6.0 & 10.6.1 boot just fine. Soo frustrating. What is it about updating to 10.6.2 would cause this?

I used this guide to prepare my USB drive. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28138

Then I grabbed the files from Rob G: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...38&st=1000#

I am still booting from the USB drive since I am still testing the environment. I have a Dell XPS 410, E6600 CPU, Nvidia 7300LE, 2GB 667 RAM: Basically all standard.

I've tried different video cards, referencing the dsdt.aml file in the boot.plist (which causes the BIOS to reset). If I take the drive out and hook up to a real mac, it boots just fine. I have made no modifications to the system drive.

Any ideas anyone? I've never had this much trouble with a Hackintosh. Especially one with so much native hardware that Apple uses. I've had way easier a time installing on systems with legacy hardware.

Yeah, from what I've read, the only change on 10.6.3 involves the SleepEnabler kext......there is already an updated one though.

Cool that you haven't noticed any issues though.

RobG, were you ever able to get yours to boot without a USB off the EFI set up?

Later.

Clean install using the guide.

- At least an 8gb USB drive.

- 2 partitions in MBR format

- 1 partition called BOOTLOADER at 200mb...

Using WHAT guide??? I am trying this and am even lost at the bootloader partition part where you mention overwriting files that were there, even though you just created the partition???

Using WHAT guide??? I am trying this and am even lost at the bootloader partition part where you mention overwriting files that were there, even though you just created the partition???

I sent you a message with more details and the guide. So the guide will have you download and install to that BOOTLOADER partion.......after that, you'll replace the kexts from that installer with the 9 kexts needed for the XPS410.

You're on the right track......1 USB stick......2 partitions........MBR format..........THEN.....run the Chameleon installer available in the guide........THEN you'll over-write the kexts with the kexts from this site for the xps410. You're not really over-writing, you're replacing.......but anyhow.

You can refer to my message to you, the guide, or the post above..........either way, its 3 things:

-partitioned USB drive

-chameleon 2 RC3 installer provided via the guide

-EFI installer provided via the guide

So the Chameleon installer is one of the main parts but it had built in kexts that you DON'T need......thats why you're replacing those kexts with the 9 kexts from here.

Then boot your computer off the USB.......and the rest is cake......for the most part. :thumbsdown_anim:

Here are the kexts and the dsdt.aml file.......and the edited Chameleon 2 RC3.

XPS410_Kexts.zip

Chameleon_2_RC3.pkg.zip

So I edited the /Extra folder on the Chameleon installer above. It now contains all 9 kexts needed for the XPS 410 to run Snow Leopard.

You should be able to just format an 8gb USB drive w/ 2 partitions as MBR.......

- 200mb partition called BOOTLOADER

- a retail DVD restored to the rest

THEN run Chameleon and install to the BOOTLOADER partition. After that is finished, boot your computer off the USB and run the install.

Once the install completes and you get to your desktop, run the EFI Finisher and fix/check the following directories:

/Vanilla/EFIkext

/Vanilla/SLEkext

/Vanilla/boot.plist

/Vanilla/DSDT

**All 9 kexts go into the EFIkext directory**

**VoodooHDA.kext and Intel82566MM.kext go into the SLEkext directory**

**Edit the boot.plist file in the boot.plist directory to your liking. [boot disk, default partition, device-properties, etc]**

**Add the dsdt.aml file to the DSDT directory**

Each directory contains a script called: update.sh [run in each directory after any changes]

After all kexts/dsdt/boot.plist are complete and update script is ran, then a repair disk permissions would be good, then a reboot.

Now the USB won't be needed, you can select your HDD and boot directly off it.

Chameleon_2_RC3.pkg.zip

browndogfred,

I'm new here (first post), but I have been lurking for a while. I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with a partition for both Leopard 10.5.8 (working perfectly) and Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (Not working - getting "still waiting for root device") I had Snow Leopard 10.6.0 booting perfectly (without a USB, thanks to some kexts from RobG and you), but I cannot boot into SL since I upgraded to 10.6.2 (using the 10.6.2 Update Combo). I have re-installed the kexts that you and RobG have provided, but I am still having no luck. I am using Chameleon RC4 for my boot loader in SL. Do you have any idea what may be the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

-JP

browndogfred,

I'm new here (first post), but I have been lurking for a while. I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with a partition for both Leopard 10.5.8 (working perfectly) and Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (Not working - getting "still waiting for root device") I had Snow Leopard 10.6.0 booting perfectly (without a USB, thanks to some kexts from RobG and you), but I cannot boot into SL since I upgraded to 10.6.2 (using the 10.6.2 Update Combo). I have re-installed the kexts that you and RobG have provided, but I am still having no luck. I am using Chameleon RC4 for my boot loader in SL. Do you have any idea what may be the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

-JP

I originally set mine up on Leopard 10.5.8 and it worked perfect too. I had problems trying to have the dual OS set up.....well, a partition with Leopard and another with Snow Leopard.

I ended up backing up anything I needed on Leopard and just doing a clean install to Snow Leopard using the info posted above.

Also, make sure your boot.plist file has the correct partition entered so that it boots off it.

Have you tried any flags from the Chameleon boot prompt?

rd=disk0s2 [depending on which partition SL is on]

I'll dig around and see if I can find some info......

Have my 9200 up and running with the help of browndogfred guide.

Its updated to 10.6.2 and was running great till I did the security updates which came after 10.6.2.

Now it has two quirks, after reboot the screen is black, with a movable mouse arrow. To get out of it I have to use the powerbutton to put it to sleep then wake it up to get a normal screen.

The other problem is that the sound is not the same as before, its breaking up and doesnt have the right volume as before.

Have used the update scripts for the efi partition but to no use.

Any Ideas?

/B

Has any of you guys had an issue that your hard drive not being found when trying to install? I have a stock Western Digital 320gb, but it's really not being found when trying to install :'(

Bezerk:

Did you use the EFI Updater tool? I ask b/c I think that might be causing your issues. I recall reading something in the notes about how it touches your EFI partition after System Updates and re-patches things like: graphics/sound.

I only used the EFI Finisher for this install b/c at the time, the EFI Updater tool wasn't available. But seeing that these packages were created for netbooks, I haven't bothered even messing with the EFI Updater after reading the notes.

The EFI Finisher in this install type is obviously changed to use the XPS410 kexts.....I'm sure the EFI Updater can also...I'll look into that part.

You might try to manually go to your EFI partiton, via terminal, and take a look at what kexts are included there in the /Extra directory. You might find the issue there.

Browndogfred:

I havent used the updater tool, have been quite happy with the terminal and the update.sh.

The sound error seems to be intermittenly occuring in COD4, so it might be a update needed for it...

But anyhow, how to I mount the efi partition?

I need to check the name, then mount it or?

Thanxs,

B

Are you guys all have your BIOS set to RAID AUTO? My XPS 410 doesn't wanna work Unless the RAID is always ON. Otherwise I'll get No Boot Device error. Also, if I update to 10.6.2 I will have to have my RAID to AUTO right? What is a good solution when this happens :'(

iMoshi:

I have mine set to auto and havent had any problem with the "no boot..." since I went up to 10.6.

Do you have any other boot partitions?

Mine have four partitions but only one system partition and no snags so far...

/B

Browndogfred:

I havent used the updater tool, have been quite happy with the terminal and the update.sh.

The sound error seems to be intermittenly occuring in COD4, so it might be a update needed for it...

But anyhow, how to I mount the efi partition?

I need to check the name, then mount it or?

Thanxs,

B

Ok good, I was hoping you hadn't used that tool. Of course the EFI Finisher does the trick in terms of setting up the EFI partition but I prefer to just use the update.sh script within that directory if needed. I don't have the EFI Updater but after working with iMoshi, he used it and I think it causes issues on things. [since it was not made for this machine. ]

You can google how to mount/unmount the EFI partition.....I have a good idea but haven't had to mess with it except once so I could modify the boot theme. If I recall correctly, its something along the lines of:

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

and

umount /Volumes/EFI

Again, do some searching around b/c any mess-ups in this partition can/will mess your install up.

Weird about your sound though, the voodooHDA.kext installed in the SLEkext directory has been fine for me.

Cheers.