Booting Mountain Lion on an Asus UX32VD

85 posts in this topic

I really need help guys!!! I see most of you got ML up and running on the ux32vd.. I have the ux31a -with the i5 and HD4000- and cannot seem to get it booted into the installer (it gives me random freezes at end pci configuration and a few other spots depending on the boot flags).i noticed you were using an earlier version of a utility that cannot be named but i cannot find that version anywhere so maybe someone who is smarter than me can figure out how to get it going with the current version or point me in the right direction in finding the older version. In the end I would like to have ML installed on an external HD to save me from partitioning the 128gb ssd but we will see how far I get as i cannot seem to find any support on the other forum. also when using the older version of the unnamed utility did you use any other utilities or enter anything else special to get it to boot??

I could really use some help here thanks!! I need Mac for school next week(i know I know i should have just bought a pro-book) but i already have this.

so please any help

I really need help guys!!! I see most of you got ML up and running on the ux32vd.. I have the ux31a -with the i5 and HD4000- and cannot seem to get it booted into the installer (it gives me random freezes at end pci configuration and a few other spots depending on the boot flags).i noticed you were using an earlier version of a utility that cannot be named but i cannot find that version anywhere so maybe someone who is smarter than me can figure out how to get it going with the current version or point me in the right direction in finding the older version. In the end I would like to have ML installed on an external HD to save me from partitioning the 128gb ssd but we will see how far I get as i cannot seem to find any support on the other forum. also when using the older version of the unnamed utility did you use any other utilities or enter anything else special to get it to boot??

I could really use some help here thanks!! I need Mac for school next week(i know I know i should have just bought a pro-book) but i already have this.

so please any help

My first suggestion is to check the BIOS settings. My biggest problem with the installers locking up was when I had the USB settings in the BIOS set incorrectly. I don't remember the names of the settings you are changing, but the first one should be set to Auto and second one should be set to "Auto Enabled". Then try booting from your USB installer again.

If you do a search for what you are looking for with the word torrent at the end, you should be able to find it. At least that's how I ended up finding it. No I did not use other utilities. Just the unnamed utility. I think I also made my own bootable USB by following a guide and using the 10.8 app file I downloaded from the App Store and that worked too once my bios settings were correct.

I don't know about installing 10.8 on USB, although I would think it would work ok. I still have to boot from the USB flash drive and pick the internal SSD to boot to 10.8, but it's not a big problem. I don't know why I cannot get Chameleon to install on the 32GB SSD so the BIOS will recognize it as a bootable device.

You will probably need to have an external mouse and possibly keyboard plugged in when you boot to the installer. Then you can change the kexts to get them working.

Good luck. :)

OK thank you so much for the suggestions.. I have to borrow someone's Mac every time I do this so I want to make sure I get it right this time. The options in bios for USB are legacy USB which I have set to auto, the next option is xhci pre-boot mode and I have that set to smart auto so hopefully that's right.. I'm going to use the older version of the utility later today when I borrow a Mac, when running that do I check both laptop support and legacy USB support?

Also, are there any DSdts for our motherboards(prob not), but I can't seem to figure out what the model number is for the motherboard...

Thank you so much for your help

Also, are there any DSdts for our motherboards(prob not), but I can't seem to figure out what the model number is for the motherboard...

I'm (slowly) studying/commenting/comparing to MacBookAir5,2 the 2.06 BIOS DSDT and have been doing some testing in conjunction with EFI Clover booting, but its a big process so I don't have anything to release yet.

The motherboard model is: ASUS UX32VD

OK thank you so much for the suggestions.. I have to borrow someone's Mac every time I do this so I want to make sure I get it right this time. The options in bios for USB are legacy USB which I have set to auto, the next option is xhci pre-boot mode and I have that set to smart auto so hopefully that's right.. I'm going to use the older version of the utility later today when I borrow a Mac, when running that do I check both laptop support and legacy USB support?

Thank you so much for your help

Yes, that sounds correct as far as the bios settings go. I can't remember for sure what I checked, but I think it was laptop support and not legacy USB.

I'm (slowly) studying/commenting/comparing to MacBookAir5,2 the 2.06 BIOS DSDT and have been doing some testing in conjunction with EFI Clover booting, but its a big process so I don't have anything to release yet.

How similar would the dsdt your working on be for the ux32vd and the ux31a since i have the ux31a..

also have any of you swapped out the wifi/bluetooth card for a supported one? if so which brand/model?

thanks everyone I will let you know how it goes today with the installation

How similar would the dsdt your working on be for the ux32vd and the ux31a since i have the ux31a..

You tell us :) Here is the UX32VD DSDT from the latest BIOS (2.06):

DSDT.zip

also have any of you swapped out the wifi/bluetooth card for a supported one? if so which brand/model?

I tried to swap in a Dell DW1510, and while it fits no problem, the antenna connectors are smaller than what is on the card itself. Apparently there are several different sizes of these "U.FL" connectors, but I haven't been able to find any detail on what size the OEM Intel card is using nor do I see many people listing this type of detail on eBay/store listings.

Does anyone have any details on the Atheros card used in other ASUS Ultrabook models? This might be the best hope to get a supported card under OSX that just plugs in internally. Otherwise, the next best solution is an ugly USB adapter :(

You tell us :) Here is the UX32VD DSDT from the latest BIOS (2.06):

[attachment=112640:DSDT.

I will have to test thus later because I still cannot get into the installer. Using 1.4 of uniblank it says it only can do lion.. I can't find a version that does ML.. I have also tried making a custom USB but still gets stuck at random spots

I will have to test thus later because I still cannot get into the installer. Using 1.4 of uniblank it says it only can do lion.. I can't find a version that does ML.. I have also tried making a custom USB but still gets stuck at random spots

You've gotta rename the Mountain Lion app in your Applications folder to the name of the Lion app. The exact name is in the aforemention program, it's one of the check boxes. It's something like OS X Lion.app.

Ok I'm finally up and running.. thanks for all the support! keyboard and track pad working. Still have to do the usb network and HD4000 fixes. Has anyone else run into a kernal panick randomly when plugging in a USB device? Not every time just random. I'm going to look into finding a WiFi card that will work. The altheros go on eBay for $15 so might order one to test it.

Does anyone have any details on the Atheros card used in other ASUS Ultrabook models? This might be the best hope to get a supported card under OSX that just plugs in internally. Otherwise, the next best solution is an ugly USB adapter :(

Does this look like it has the right sized antennas in the picture? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290701848113&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=28076887793

Its cheap enough I should probably just buy and try.

The drivers seem readily available. http://www.osx86.net/view/2628-bluetooth_ar3011_enabler_for_asus_notebo_...html

Have you made it anywhere with the DSDT? I've extracted mine but don't know what I'm looking at/how to do anything with it..

Also has anyone been able to sign into app store? Mine gives me an unknown error has occurred I think because I have no ethernet

Does this look like it has the right sized antennas in the picture? http://item.mobilewe...nid=28076887793

Nope, too big. See the iFixit picture of the wireless card (http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/diQ4deAFrSqvHFkU.large) and note the size of the antenna connectors relative to the screw holes that will be the same size. They are damned tiny!

Have you made it anywhere with the DSDT? I've extracted mine but don't know what I'm looking at/how to do anything with it..

Not yet, I've been busy with other things. I'm still testing Clover and I think the extra RAM I have is causing issues as this seems to be the biggest problem with this EFI boot loader at the moment. I need to submit a detailed report to the developers next.

You should start reading the DSDT thread to learn/understand the standard DSDT edits required, etc. The other half is understanding how the Asus DSDT is doing things which I am still working on.

I ended up getting the atheros wifi card to work by doing some hack jobbing lol (not exactly professional looking/but it functions for $10). I figured i only spent $10 on the card so if i messed it up no big deal.. you were right about the plugs being the wrong size.. so basically what i did was remove the outer rings from the plugs on the wifi card leaving only the center pin. the smaller plugs in the laptop were then able to connect to the pins in the new card just not as snug as you would like. so for now i just have them taped on and i seem to get good signal everywhere. if for some reason they get disconnected or my wifi becomes less stable I will then probably go ahead and solder it together.

gsly: maybe you could try something similar with your old dell card? that is if wifi is a priority for you. how goes the dsdt patching? im still try trying to learn about it. do you know of any basic guides?

Picked this machine up on friday, loving it so far. Huge thanks to zenlion for his efforts and detailed instructions, got this up and running in 1920x1080 in no-time.

Few quick notes:

Major issues:

No audio (anyone had any luck here?)

No display brightness and such, runs on lowest setting (would love to be able to change this)

No touchpad (think I saw a kext mentioned in this thread.. I'll check when I get home from work)

Minor issues:

No battery% in menu, so also no low battery warning, machine will turn off without warning

Also can't seem to wake it back up after display sleeps.

I'm still rather amazed at how well it seems to run, just wish I could get audio and brightness going.

Also anyone know of a compatible usb-stick for wifi? I don't mind a usb-solution. While tethering with android works it's a bit clunky and I don't like to always have to have my phone connected.

I have a D-link DWA-160 around which actually has drivers available for OSX, but only up to 10.5.. so won't work

i havnt really had time lately to do much with it, I did get the USB Network Stick working with the kext attached to a previous post (thanks to the person who found this) in this thread (the IONetworkingFamily Kext did not include the Axis kext though, so had to include that manually).

I was rather amazed that I could boot Mountain Lion in VMWare Workstation 2012 Tech Preview directly from the install on the partition without issues (patched vmware to show macosx as OS option), this is rather neat, also installed VMWare Tools and they work fine and dont interfere when I boot Mountain Lion natively :)

Audio could probably be made to work, I just saw some threads on another forum around ALC269, if you google "ALC 269 Patch for AppleHDA(May work idea for others" is the first result, its a bit too complicated and time consuming for me to pursue right now, as audio is not a high prio for me

The touchpad is working for me, just no gestures or two finger scrolling etc, so basically its just working like a mouse

The battery % could be enabled with some kexts for that, dont know where to find it, but remember reading about some kext that enables battery % on notebooks in general, so that might work

Re Sleep: At some point Sleep was working for me, potentially remove the ACPI kext copied from the UB stick to /E/E (leave the PS2Nub thing for the PS2 Keyboard/Mouse support I guess), other change I made was to change SMBios to Macbook Pro 2012 Retina Model instead of Macbook Air 2012, something around those things broke sleep/enabled sleep for me again. I also put a DSDT (just the fixed one I dumped with some tool), I didnt really see that changing anything, but maybe that was part of making sleep work too

I ended up getting the atheros wifi card to work by doing some hack jobbing lol (not exactly professional looking/but it functions for $10). I figured i only spent $10 on the card so if i messed it up no big deal.. you were right about the plugs being the wrong size.. so basically what i did was remove the outer rings from the plugs on the wifi card leaving only the center pin. the smaller plugs in the laptop were then able to connect to the pins in the new card just not as snug as you would like. so for now i just have them taped on and i seem to get good signal everywhere. if for some reason they get disconnected or my wifi becomes less stable I will then probably go ahead and solder it together.

So it is an Intel 6235 card. Intel mentiones no special connector. But it is obviously not an U.FL connector. Other connectors... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_connector maybe the smaller W.FL. But there are no wifi cards on google. Amazon sells a Tyco antenna with the Intel 6235. http://www.amazon.com/Tyco-Wifi-Bluetooth-Antenna/dp/B001UG0LE8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_1 Maybe the connector is a Tyco UMCC connector http://www.te.com/catalog/feat/en/c/23958/2693. But also no wifi cards on google.

So it is an Intel 6235 card. Intel mentiones no special connector. But it is obviously not an U.FL connector. Other connectors... http://en.wikipedia....ki/RF_connector maybe the smaller W.FL. But there are no wifi cards on google. Amazon sells a Tyco antenna with the Intel 6235. http://www.amazon.co..._sxp_grid_i_2_1 Maybe the connector is a Tyco UMCC connector http://www.te.com/ca...en/c/23958/2693. But also no wifi cards on google.

Tyco antenna connectors do not look small enough when you look at the pictures here http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_3117wt_906

I think the 6235 might be using the W.FL connector (details: http://www.hirose.co.jp/cataloge_hp/e32124820.pdf)

You are right... this one is a standard U.FL. As mentioned in the product description.

But what's in the UX32BD? Is it a special version of the Intel 6235 wifi?

Hmm, it might just be. Look at the iFixit link I posted previously and now look at http://www.pricefalls.com/products/Intel-Centrino-6235anhmw-Ieee-802.-1n-Mini-Pci-Express-Bluetooth-4.-Wifibluetooth-Combo-Adapter/id/47100316

Connectors look bigger don't they? Same model number though... Very strange.

Hi. I have created an usb installer with ML GM and Unib******.Installation work perfectly without any flags.But after installation boot only with -x. I have created the folder E/E with fakesmc,nullcpupower,exc.. but nothing. I have try to delete some kext to S/L/E but nothing.When boot -v i have the kernel panic "AGPM controller" and "dsmos has arrived".

With boot flags npci=0x2000 or 3000,busratio=12,graphicsenabler=no,pcirootuid=0,cpus=1 same problem.Any ideas? King Regards

(Asus UX32VD Core i5 1,7 ghz,ssd 32 gb,GeForce gt620m/Intel HD4000)