Is Hackintosh scene nearing its end , judging from the new MBP?

57 posts in this topic

Hi Guys ,

Apple has outdone itself in the next generation Macbook Pro with a brilliant Retina display released yesterday.

Hackintosh has so far created a reputation for being equal or better in performance to real Mac's . Now with the latest Mac series especially with the next generation Mac Book Pro is it possible to stick on to this reputation ?

Taking the case of Mac Book Pro and Hackintosh Laptops,

Display :

Display is the most important part of a computer, as it is the final output and gives judgement of what ever you put inside a computer. The new Retina display has 2880x1800 resolution with 200ppi, now it is tough to reproduce this on a hackintosh as the laptop manufacturers have to produce laptops with such high resolution screens (i.e samsung should manufacture such screens considering all-most all laptop display are made by them). Only if such high resolution display's are available we would be able to produce an equivalent user experience in a hackintosh.

MBP wins here :| .

Apps :

From yesterday's keynote, we come to know that newer apps would be made Retina capable. So these apps on a hackintosh would not guarantee a similar performance over variety of laptops/desktops incapable of producing the same resolution.

Edit : What I mean here is, hackintosh would not be able to deliver the app aesthetics found in top line MBP.

Graphics :

The new MBP has one graphics card for all its discrete graphics models - Geforce GT 650 M. Other models have intel HD graphics especially HD3000 and HD4000 . So far Hackintosh Laptops were able to successfully support most of the Mobile GPU's like the old 8600 GTM thanks to their desktop cousins !! But with apple moving to one graphics card solution like Geforce GT 650M, support for other Mobile specific GPU's available in market today for laptops is questionable except those with intel integrated graphics like HD3000 and HD 4000.

It is a tie between MBP and Hackintosh here :whistle: .

I/O ports :

The new MBP has included USB 3.0 at last !! and has additional thunderbolt ports. Hackintosh are having USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports for a while now. Also there are plenty of Express card Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 solutions available at reasonable price for Hackintosh Laptops.

So Hackintosh wins here :thumbsup_anim: .

Now this is why were all are in insanely mac . OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion developer preview works well on all hackintosh which ran OSX Lion successfully. So the final release of Mountain Lion should also work on Hackintosh.

So Hackintosh wins here :boxing: .

Above were some of my thoughts on the future of hackintosh judging from the current series of Mac's from Apple.

What is your view on this ? Do you think the end of Hackintosh scene has begun with Mountain Lion and the next generation MBP ?

(or) would the hackintosh scene be presistent and adapt itself to the recent improvements from apple ?

• Like 1

Speaking for myself: I don't buy or build PCs and put OS X on them because I feel the hardware is better than on a Mac. Even if it was, that wouldn't be my driving force. I don't know about anyone else, but does anyone else enjoy when things don't work perfectly on your hackintosh and you have to fix it? I think a lot of this community can understand where I'm coming from in this regard.

• Like 6

Apps :

From yesterday's keynote, we come to know that newer apps would be made Retina capable. So these apps on a hackintosh would not guarantee a similar performance over variety of laptops/desktops incapable of producing the same resolution.

you can still order a non retina display macbook pro btw it's not a performance thing.

I am in doubt

why Apple takes no actions towards Hackintosh

I believe Apple can do something to prevent the Hackintosh

but they don't

does it imply that they want to expand the market share of OSX ?

Speaking for myself: I don't buy or build PCs and put OS X on them because I feel the hardware is better than on a Mac. Even if it was, that wouldn't be my driving force. I don't know about anyone else, but does anyone else enjoy when things don't work perfectly on your hackintosh and you have to fix it? I think a lot of this community can understand where I'm coming from in this regard.

You mean you don't use a hackintosh, right ?

Would it be better to say that the Hackintosh is nearing it's end due to the lack of a new Mac Pro model?

I spoke mainly about Hackintosh Laptop's as it is more hardware restricted than the desktop's. Personally I feel desktop hackintosh's have more time left than the Laptops.

you can still order a non retina display macbook pro btw it's not a performance thing.

Thanks, I did not properly express what I meant to say there regarding the apps. As you said there would not be a direct performance difference. Yet for a user, A Graphics app on the new MBP and a top of the line Hackintosh Laptop would sure make a difference.

I am in doubt

but they don't

Yesterday apple quoted '66 million user base' for OSX, wonder how many of them are on hackintosh :angel_not:

You mean you don't use a hackintosh, right ?

I spoke mainly about Hackintosh Laptop's as it is more hardware restricted than the desktop's. Personally I feel desktop hackintosh's have more time left than the Laptops.

Thanks, I did not properly express what I meant to say there regarding the apps. As you said there would not be a direct performance difference. Yet for a user, A Graphics app on the new MBP and a top of the line Hackintosh Laptop would sure make a difference.

Yesterday apple quoted '66 million user base' for OSX, wonder how many of them are on hackintosh :angel_not:

Yep,i'm also curious about the data :D

I am in doubt

but they don't

I agree, I think they are open minded enough to look deeper than the movie or music industry does at the effects of piracy(piracy referring to movies and music, NOT hackintosh) who assume the # of copies downloaded equates to the same amount in lost sales, which could not be further from the truth, as the majority of those people would not have been paying customers anyway and only got it because it was free , so no lost sale. So keeping that in mind, how many hackintosh owners buy apple keyboard and magic trackpad that they would not have bought otherwise? Then also buy from iTunes and MacAppStore? All money apple never would have gotten without hackintosh. Also hackintosh leads many to buy real macs because they learn to like OSX and want the full user experience, where without hackintosh they would have never converted. I think these figures could easily balance out any lost revenue from the fewer people who would have bought a mac but chose hackintosh instead, and will then buy the same amount of apps and accessories they would have bought if they had got the real mac. Also they save tons of money on constant anti piracy combat compared to MS and others, and the hardware compatibility it's self serves as a better anti-piracy measure than anything else. What's easier, pirating windows or make perfect working hackintosh? My mom could install cracked windows. Keeping it on the fringes and more of a "geek" thing helps, vs IOS jailbreak which is very mainstream and therefore more an issue, and those people still bought real iDevice where hackintosh is exact opposite, so this too shows that biggest profits are in apps vs hardware. Not to mention we are the best group of beta testers in the world and find fixes for many issues that are not specific to hackintosh, and they're getting that for free. If anything will kill the hackintosh, it's distros and other 1 click installers that bring hackintosh into the mainstream and into the spotlight, and into the hands of people who don't know what they are doing. If it becomes a thorn in apples side, they will address it.
  • Like 7

Well said, sure one click installers has degraded the Hackintosh scene, People try to do a Hackintosh like a windows install and most of them are unsuccessful cause they don't know what they are doing.

• Like 1

I agree, I think they are open minded enough to look deeper than the movie or music industry does at the effects of piracy(piracy referring to movies and music, NOT hackintosh) who assume the # of copies downloaded equates to the same amount in lost sales, which could not be further from the truth (...)

impressive !

to be honest, i fell in love with osx after getting my hackintosh done

and i start to care for Apple indeed (I prefer google than Apple in the past, but they r now equal )

I do wanna get a magic trackpad & usb keyboard

they do really perfect our hackintoshes

I also believe in your viewpoint that Apple has taken many things from us including benefits,bug solutions etc

About the future of Hackintosh, i am a little worrid

cuz more and more almost done one-click installation has been made

it's becoming easier and easier for people to get their Hack done

maybe, one day, Apple will take some measures to prevent this

I don't know about anyone else, but it is not just the fun of putting together a hackintosh that makes them so appealing. They are cheap too. I have one hackintosh hooked up to my TV that is my netflix/hulu/DVD player. A second one is in the kitchen that is just a email/facebook checker. My main computer is also a hackintosh. I am always taking hard drives in and out of it, installing questionable software and generally abusing it. I could never afford to do all of that with genuine Apple hardware.

I started out with a LCIII running System 6 and totally fell in love with Apple computers and up until about two years ago I always owned a genuine Mac. I would love to own one of the new MacBook Pros', but unless I win the lottery I am sticking with Hackintosh.

but unless I win the lottery I am sticking with Hackintosh.

LOL, Guess we all have to win a Lottery for the new MBP. But wait, Lotteries are banned in my part of India :worried_anim: Guess I just have to stick to my Hackintosh for some more time :wink2:

Regarding the first post of this thread. We have always known that hackintoshing a laptop is not a great idea, that 100% compatibility is very rare, if not impossible, and that you will get the full Mac experience only with a MacBook.

I have always said that you should build a desktop with the most compatible parts. Only then you can get a fulfilling experience.

Thus I don't believe at all that the OSx86 scene is nearing its end because of the new MBP, just the opposite.

From what I can read on the internet, more people than ever are planning to hackintosh.

• Like 5

I think that it is not a talk between Hackintoh and Macintosh, but between Apple and other computer-makers. I think that these innovations are a pain in the neck for Asus, Samsung and co., they will not stay watching while Apple steals their potential customers. Let's wait for a their counterattack.

Right these counterattacks could push the people to choose an hackintosh instead of a real Macbook.

Aside from all I totally agree Alessandro.

• Like 1

Regarding the first post of this thread. We have always known that hackintoshing a laptop is not a great idea, that 100% compatibility is very rare, if not impossible, and that you will get the full Mac experience only with a MacBook.

^This.

I thought it was understood that if you want to get as close to a mac you had to hand pick each component of your build from known compatible parts.

Frankly Macbook Pros are the one thing Apple has that I would actually consider getting... If I was a millionare! Seriously though the build quality on those things is great. I had a Dell laptop I dropped $1,000 on and it was the biggest piece of {censored}. All the electronics except the battery ran fine, but the case was attrocious. I would have paid $100 or even $200 more if I could have gotten something with better build quality. If I have to travel a lot I will definitely get a macbook Pro and install Windows on it.

Nearing the end? Yes, for 32-bit systems. Gone are the days of installing the latest version of OS X on an old Dell Inspiron 310 (without the need of a Legacy Kernel). That's all. Apple seems to be cutting the fat (as usual) and being progressive in their hardware/software integration. However, it's going to be interesting when the new iMac is announced; Is Apple going to stick with AMD or move over to nVidia? And what about the long awaited and much overdue revamp of the MacPro? Those are the big questions needed to be closely watched in the future.

To be honest, my big questions are how well Thunderbolt is going to work on the new motherboards, and PCI Express 3.0 compatibility. :P

I have always said that you should build a desktop with the most compatible parts. Only then you can get a fulfilling experience.

True. My dell inspiron 1520 was almost 100% compatible and I could replace the non compatible parts to get a fully working Hackintosh. Newer laptop like Hp Pro Book seem to be compatible, but only HD3000. It seems the rope is getting tighter for a full graphics capable Hackintosh Laptops.

I think that it is not a talk between Hackintoh and Macintosh, but between Apple and other computer-makers. I think that these innovations are a pain in the neck for Asus, Samsung and co.,

Yes could hear samsung working on a High resolution display :guitar:

If I have to travel a lot I will definitely get a macbook Pro and install Windows on it.

You'll get a Mac Book and install Windows on that ? :wallbash:

Nearing the end? Yes, for 32-bit systems. questions are how well Thunderbolt is going to work on the new motherboards, and PCI Express 3.0 compatibility. :P

RIP to 32 bit systems from OSX Lion, yes compatibility of Thunderbolt and PCIe 3.0 would be interesting.

The new MBP just came out and the gtx 680 magically begins to work and you talk about a possible end for the Hackintosh scene? I think they secretly give us freebies like this so we can fuel the company in a more secretive way. Trust me if a billion dollar company wanted to get rid of us they would faster than a magic mouse, magic trackpad, or magic eraser ever could.

• Like 3

The new MBP just came out and the gtx 680 magically begins to work and you talk about a possible end for the Hackintosh scene? I think they secretly give us freebies like this so we can fuel the company in a more secretive way. Trust me if a billion dollar company wanted to get rid of us they would faster than a magic mouse, magic trackpad, or magic eraser ever could.

If apple secretly want's to offer freebies, then according to me they should have stuck to DVD install media for Lion though DVD drives are not available in current generation of Mac's. Since retail DVD media are not available for OSX Lion, those who are new to hackintosh resort to pirated distros or pirated USB install media as they do not wish to spend on snow leopard just for the sake of Lion update. I think this would be the same case with Mountain Lion in a month.

And official USB Lion install key of apple is not available outside US.

Yeah but the App Store is, and Lion is not expensive. It's very easy to go 100% legit now, much easier than it ever was.

Using a Snow Leopard distro (or whatever you can get your hands on) as base so that you can buy Lion from the App Store and then install it is not hurting anyone.

(That's my personal opinion, not the "official" opinion of InsanelyMac (as far as I know)).

Like others here, I also believe that if Apple wanted to kill us off, they could do so anytime. But I don't believe they are purposefully "giving us freebies" even if it might seem that way, I doubt that the people who make strategic decisions are sitting at the table saying "oh yeah we have to make it easier for the Hackintosh people, but not too easy, do this and that but not this".

• Like 4

Since retail DVD media are not available for OSX Lion, those who are new to hackintosh resort to pirated distros or pirated USB install media as they do not wish to spend on snow leopard just for the sake of Lion update. I think this would be the same case with Mountain Lion in a month.

It is extremely easy to create an install DVD from the Lion installer you buy from the App Store: http://lifehacker.co...-or-flash-drive

But, to download Lion App from App Store they need Snow leopard. Which could be avoided if a stand alone install media is available, so that first time hackintosh builders can do a retail install using a boot cd.

Using a Snow Leopard distro (or whatever you can get your hands on) as base so that you can buy Lion from the App Store and then install it is not hurting anyone.

(That's my personal opinion, not the "official" opinion of InsanelyMac (as far as I know)).

Yes of course , for those who had been running snow leopard it was much easier to install genuine Lion from App store. But for those who don't have Snow leopard it is tough. Especially if we advocate retail install and against pirated distro's and OSX dvds/app . I personally recommend retail install only.

Personally I agree. If you use whatever method you can to install Snow Leopard or Lion, aiming at buying Lion, you can't be that wrong. Everything can be done in a few hours. Nobody would take you to court for that.

• Like 1

Indiandragon:

If you think it's too hard, tough titty for you, cry me a river, {censored} please etc etc. Consider a different hobby!

Anyone who has been here for several years will agree that installing retail OS X on a compatible PC has never been as easy as it is now.

Remember that we're doing something that's not supposed to be done in the first place. Of course you will have to jump through a few hoops.

Apple makes their profit on hardware, at 30$ their OS is practically free, compared to Microsoft Windows.

They want you to buy a Mac, they don't want you to buy their OS and install it on a PC.

And let me clarify, retail is always preferred (for a number of reasons, not just the moral ones) but I'm not against distros as a learning experience or stepping stone to get to retail OS X.

• Like 2