The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

^Andy^

193 posts in this topic

Getting ready to install ML, just a quick question. Is the iTunes crashing issue only something that's effecting 69xx users, or will I have a problem with my 6870 as well?

If you have a 6950/70 you are going to have problems unfortunately. I have 2 p8p67pro's one using a gtx570 and one using a 6970. ML installs clean as a whistle to the gtx570 but as yet I have not gotten the 6970 booting. i usually manage by removing usb3 drivers, getting sleep working using the modified bios and dsdt and then using sleep and wake trick but havnt had the time to go that far yet.

Hi Andy

First of all thanks for your work on p8p67 boards man!

I have issues installing the 1st package to the USB. The installation seems to fail once it goes to registering scripts, I tried with a macbook air as well and same issue. Any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

Hi Andy

First of all thanks for your work on p8p67 boards man!

I have issues installing the 1st package to the USB. The installation seems to fail once it goes to registering scripts, I tried with a macbook air as well and same issue. Any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

Try repairing permissions and run it again - I've had it say that its failed a few times without any particular reason that I have been able to nail down and its still worked so it may actually have worked anyway. :S

Thanks Andy! I am able to boot now but i get blank screen with top line white flicker after i get past the apple logo. I am using 6870 with the cinema display...i saw that this is a known issue, sorry to ask you here but can you suggest a solution for this ?

Thanks Andy! I am able to boot now but i get blank screen with top line white flicker after i get past the apple logo. I am using 6870 with the cinema display...i saw that this is a known issue, sorry to ask you here but can you suggest a solution for this ?

I'd love to suggest a solution but I sold my pair of 6870's a month or so back so I'm a little screwed on that one!

If this is happening during boot of the usb stick try just deleting (back it up first or just rename it) the ATI6000Controller.kext and reinstall it after installation.

Andy did u encounter any stability problems? After some hours ML begins to freeze up. First I lose internet connection and then shortly after every program I touch begins to freeze until everything locks up.

Any news on the USB 3.0 front?

edit: I think the reason is that suddenly one of my hdd turns off. I can hear that they go in sleep mode (the typical noise). After that the system freezes. Since my 10.8 is installed on a SSD I can't really tell if there is the same problem with the SSD. Any idea why this could happen (maybe unmounting the drives automatically).

No idea what I'm doing wrong, but for the life of me I can't seem to make the USB stick bootable. I follow all the steps (I thought) without a problem, but when I go to boot and pick the USB stick to boot from 1 of 2 things happen, either I get nothing but a black screen with a blinking cursor (happens most of the time) or occasionally I get an error screen with 3 lines talking about drive boot errors (unfortunately didn't write it them down). Tried 3 times, no luck, any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Andy which guide we must to follow for GM first page or down below;

Ok dp2 does work pretty well but you cant use my usb install package due to the modified mbr files screwing up the installer (it will crash soon after you select the drive and click install). I will build a new package shortly (not tonight though) or you can follow the guide BUT skip the usb package instead use chameleon wizard to install chameleon to the usb stick and then use pacifist to install the extra folder and kexts from the package (if you use a recent version of chameleon remember to rename the boot.plist or alternatively use chameleon wizard then replace the boot file and boot.plist with the ones from the usb install package). Remember to also copy the mach_kernel from the downloaded dp2 image to your usb boot stick! After that your uisb installer should be good to go and after install you can use the other package to make your new dp2 install bootable etc.

If you have a 6950/70 you are going to have problems unfortunately. I have 2 p8p67pro's one using a gtx570 and one using a 6970. ML installs clean as a whistle to the gtx570 but as yet I have not gotten the 6970 booting. i usually manage by removing usb3 drivers, getting sleep working using the modified bios and dsdt and then using sleep and wake trick but havnt had the time to go that far yet.

Andy, have you had a chance to investigate the 6970 yet? I am stuck. I can get through the install now but get a white screen when trying to load the new install.

Still no luck this morning. Tried booting with -x, graphicsenabler=yes and things like that, kept getting stuck at the same spot.

Decided to try a different way, booted back into my lion install and extracted the contents of your driver package to another USB stick, and then reinstalled Mountain Lion. Got into the OS, and installed the standalone chameleon package, copied the extra folder over from your driver package and rebooted, got into the OS booting off the hard drive.

At this point I started putting a few kexts from your driver package into the extensions folder. Not at my computer right now but I believe they were the AppleIntele1000 kext (that's our ethernet right?), Atyinit and Ati6000 kexts, ran kext utility and rebooted. Now I'm getting stuck at an error reading

FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

I was using this guide in the end: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280514

Working perfectly, but I had to use my pre-edited Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist (Mac Pro 5,1) from my Lion system. With that my GTX 580 worked ootb. No black screen anymore (like with iMac SMBios). And also using Andys method there are plenty of errors showing up in verbose mode. With the other guide there were none.

But still I have one thing to ask. Are there any USB 3.0 drivers out there?

P.S.: Also the App Store version did not work for me..I was using the modified imzdl

Hi would you care to make a short guide? Thanks :)

Got it up and running on my system, unfortunately I was never able to get Andy's package working, but I just pulled the kexts out of it and I'm in ML and running perfectly, so thank you Andy.

I only have one problem, not sure if anyone else has the same. With the system being identified as an iMac in the smbios, it puts the audio circuit to sleep after a couple of minutes if the audio is not being used, which wouldn't be a problem except there's a loud pop when a sound is played and my audio is woken up. Pretty annoying and I had this problem under Lion as well (where I was able to use Andy's package no problem btw, so it's not that). My fix for this was always just to identify the system as a mac pro 3,1 (the newest one that would work, 4,1/5,1 both hang on boot) instead of an iMac. Only problem with that now, Airplay mirroring won't work because of how limited the number of machines it works on. Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent the pop when the system is configured as an iMac?

Andy,

Since the GM, I get a reboot on "RTC: only single RAM bank(128 bytes)".

This line usually doesn't get written completely, it ends in the middle with garbage then reboots.

I'm using your patched BIOS.

The DSDT is some minimalist one I found on the net, anyway it doesn't even go that far without it.

Back to your DSDT I get panic because of the trio AppleACPIplatform + IOPCIFamily + AppleEFINVRAM

Any idea of something to try ?

Updated my P8P67 Pro rev. 3.1 with Sapphire HD 6870 from ML DP4 to Final with no problem =)

Just used terminal with DMG of final ML: sudo installer -verbose -pkg "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg" -tgt /Volumes/MLion

Bootloader: Chimera 1.10

org.cham...plist:

cat /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>PCIRoot</key>

<string>0</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Duckweed</string>

<key>AtiPorts</key>

<string>4</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

didn't replace ATI6000...kext

used AICPMPatch.pl to patch new AICPUPM.kext before booting the new system

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I installed ML on my p8p67 pro rev 3.1, and installed your drivers package, deleting nullcpupowermanagement cause I'm using 2103 bios in order to having stop feature, but when I try to shutdown the hack, it always reboots.

It drives me nut, please help :)

Andy did u encounter any stability problems? After some hours ML begins to freeze up. First I lose internet connection and then shortly after every program I touch begins to freeze until everything locks up.

Any news on the USB 3.0 front?

edit: I think the reason is that suddenly one of my hdd turns off. I can hear that they go in sleep mode (the typical noise). After that the system freezes. Since my 10.8 is installed on a SSD I can't really tell if there is the same problem with the SSD. Any idea why this could happen (maybe unmounting the drives automatically).

I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem as you, but after the system working fine for a few weeks, I've now twice found the system unresponsive when I went to wake it after being away from it for a few hours. I don't let the machine do a full sleep or even turn the hard drive off, just the monitor after 20 minutes. I have to do a hard shut down (hold the power button down for 5 seconds) and restart to get it going again. Did you ever figure out your problem?

I've upgraded from Lion 10.7.3 to 10.8 using your method listed here, with the only exception being the partitioning part (I just selected the partition already having Lion, without erasing it). All the apps and settings have been maintained in 10.8 and I just had to install the "P8P67 Pro Driver Installer.pkg" in the archive.

Setup: Asus P8P67 Evo (Rev. B3), i5, GTS 250

The nice surprise was that the

Creative X-Fi PCI-E sound board started working in Mountain Lion - also with surround (previously used on-board audio in Lion).

Andy,

Followed your Instructions exactly but having issues with installation. The USB drives books but when The Apple logo screen appears it sits there for a long time. 50% of the time I get a "not" symbol, circle with a line through it, on the apple logo stem, The other 50% I get to the select a language screen but have no mouse and keyboard functionality. I'm using a standard USB mouse and Keyboard. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ralph