Wake from Sleep - Freeze - Due to ejected HDD's

Blah101

54 posts in this topic

So this is kind of strange, but here it goes. When I wake from sleep my computer display just won't show the screen, and if it does it will freeze. I then am forced to reset my computer and thus I have a cmos reset at the same time. I find it odd that I can put the computer to sleep, but waking from sleep will cause and issue.

Running ML on a SSD, my main Sata HardDisk appears to be ejected on sleep; as on wake greeted by the notice that "The disk was not ejected properly. If ..........".

Anyone had this and resolved?

BTW kernel log is blank!

Running ML on a SSD, my main Sata Disk appears to be ejected on sleep; as on wake greeted by the notice that "The disk was not ejected properly. If ..........".

Anyone had this and resolved?

BTW kernel log is blank!

It also happened to me yesterday... In the next days i'll try to make another few tests...

it's not cmos reset, it's just that our HDD is ejected without doing anything =(

commputeur go to sleep, i wake it up, 5 mn after my donnee's HDD is ejected

I see the same thing..

Entering sleep with the Terminal window open, then waking and typing in to the Terminal shows there's no more system available...

typing sudo -s returns:

Permission denied

whoami returns:

Operation not permitted

ls -al / returns:

Operation not permitted

Here's what I see in the system log in console. Note: You need to have it running before sleeping as after waking from sleep the drives are lost and the logs will no longer be written to.

post-331032-0-77207900-1329732868_thumb.jpg

The same symptoms happen regardless of bootloader, Chameleon, RevoBoot, XPC, Clover.

If this doesn't happen for everybody then it's got to be something on my machine.. possibly something in my ACPI tables? Need to check DSDT. But something had changed with Mountain Lion as this issue doesn't appear in 10.7.3.

I will run further tests when I get time.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

I've narrowed the search for the cause of this problem down slightly by running some crude tests.

Replacing the following kexts with older versions stops my disks disappearing after using a sleep/wake cycle.

AppleAHCIPort.kext v2.4.0 from 10.8 DP1 replaced with version 2.2.0 from 10.7.3

IOAHCIFamily.kext v2.2.0 from 10.8 DP1 replaced with version 2.0.7 from 10.7.3

It's not much, but it's a start.

Next step is to look more closely at these kexts to find out more.....

• Like 1

I have something a little different it seems then everybody else. My hard drives eject but my ssd that has the os on stays mounted. The one thing I might have different is my user folder is on a separate drive then the OS.

UPDATE:

Well after a few unsuccessful hit and miss attempts at patching IOAHCIFamily, I thought I'd try a different approach.

And now it seems my issue has something to do with ICH10 as changing the device-id of my SATA to that of ESB2 stops 10.8 DP1 losing my disks after a sleep/wake cycle.

post-331032-0-18106200-1330032066_thumb.jpg

With this, at least for now I am now back to using the AppleAHCIPort.kext v2.4.0 and IOAHCIFamily.kext v2.2.0 from 10.8 DP1.

But I want to use my native ICH10.

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller [8086:3a22]

So what can be the problem with this? hmmm...

• Like 1

Hi efimac

NOTE: This is only for testing and not something I'd recommend as a permanent fix.

I used an old trick to change the device-id - You can find read about it here: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1253758

It's just another step towards trying to pinpoint, or at least to help with trying to understand why I experience loss of drives after a sleep/wake cycle. I now know at least that it's something to do with using my native ICH10 with 10.8 DP1's AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext.

When using the native ICH10 on a Sandy Bridge system, doesn't the hackintosh typically report the drives as external? Mine does, and I have to use an extra kext to have the drive icons appear as non-yellow and internal. When switching to ESB2 the drives become internal by default and there isn't any need for the extra kext. Perhaps this explains why the drive ejects during sleep during the former and not the latter.

Hi efimac

NOTE: This is only for testing and not something I'd recommend as a permanent fix.

I used an old trick to change the device-id - You can find read about it here: http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1253758

It's just another step towards trying to pinpoint, or at least to help with trying to understand why I experience loss of drives after a sleep/wake cycle. I now know at least that it's something to do with using my native ICH10 with 10.8 DP1's AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext.

can we edit this problem in dsdt?

Perhaps this explains why the drive ejects during sleep during the former and not the latter.

Maybe there's something to that scorcho. Though if it were by design, would it make sense for Apple to change their OS to eject all external drives when the system goes to sleep? Anyhow - this has to be a bug or an issue here on my system as the system drive becomes ejected too!

Earlier this morning I did run a test without using an orange icon fix and although the System Information/Serial-ATA/Intel ICH10/HDD status for Removable Media changed from No to Yes - it didn't make any difference with regard to the drives disappearing after wake from sleep. When I get more time at my machine I'll look further in to it.

If you get a chance to run some tests then please do.

can we edit this problem in dsdt?

I'm not sure what you mean qawpaw.

The test to change device-id's is done in DSDT.

An easier away to change your SATA to ESB2 is by using the LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext as mentioned by MasterChief here. Far easier and cleaner than editing the DSDT.

Edit the info.plist and change the Chipset Name of the device matching yours to EBS2 AHCI.

So for me, searching for 0x3A228086 brings me to the ICH10RAHCI key. Then changing the subsequent:

<key>Chipset Name</key>
<string>ICH10-R AHCI</string>

to

<key>Chipset Name</key>
<string>ESB2 AHCI</string>

is all I need.

Simply place the modded kext in to /Extra/Extensions and reboot.

EDIT: to make it 10.8 only, place the kext in /Extra/10.8/Extensions then it won't get loaded for 10.7 or lower.

LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext.zip

There are many versions of this dummy kext around but I think original credits go to cyclonefr and netkas.

Again though. This is a workaround until a proper solution is found.

UPDATE:

I've narrowed the search for the cause of this problem down slightly by running some crude tests.

Replacing the following kexts with older versions stops my disks disappearing after using a sleep/wake cycle.

AppleAHCIPort.kext v2.4.0 from 10.8 DP1 replaced with version 2.2.0 from 10.7.3

IOAHCIFamily.kext v2.2.0 from 10.8 DP1 replaced with version 2.0.7 from 10.7.3

It's not much, but it's a start.

Next step is to look more closely at these kexts to find out more.....

Thanks man! This worked fantastic. Now I can wake from sleep with no problem.

My evga x58 board has ahci configurateion options. one of option is hot plug. So I disabled that option and no more problem.

And that also makes orange icons to grey ones but still jmicrons are orange. There are quite a few "still waiting..."errors with ML,I guess that is possibley relate to this. I found in google that somebody changed hd to hitachi one in his macbook pro and upgrade efi firmware of his macbook ,and similar problem occured.

One thing interesting is Seagate hd was not ejected and was fine. All my WD hds were ejected.so everybody here using WD?

I guess wd's power saving thing is not suitable to ML's powermanagement

Thanks man! This worked fantastic. Now I can wake from sleep with no problem.

Did you try the more recent, simpler workaround from post #20?

Anybody can upload this file from 10.7.3 ? Thanks

Try the more recent, simpler workaround from post #20. That way you can keep with DP1's vanilla kexts.

My evga x58 board has ahci configurateion options. one of option is hot plug. So I disabled that option and no more problem.

..../snip/....

All my WD hds were ejected.so everybody here using WD?

Interesting find kdtt, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check my BIOS to see if I have an option for this also. Hot-plug is one of the features of ICH10 and that feature and the problem disappears when I match ESB2 to my deviceID, so it's definitely related. So maybe that's the issue.! :)

For ref, I'm using two Samsing HDD's

are you guys using any sleepenablers? or just dsdt..? with hpet or witout..? and please upload the 10.7.3 files for us.. thanks

No sleepenabler and just DSDT with device (HPET). See above as to why you shouldn't need the 10.7.3 kexts.

• Like 1