Asus P5B thread

ReLoad

123 posts in this topic

Been playing around with Uphucks 1.4r3 and I am able to instal fine, and when I go to boot in -v

I pass all options, flick to blue screen and from there I am stalled out.

Has anyone recently installed and found a success?

Posting which options you selected would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

I used the following on instal to its own sata hd using usb dvd drive

Titan

Applesmbios.ktext

sata support

ps/2 driver

azalia audio

ionetworking

realtek 8139

System

Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC

CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2133 MHz (8 x 267)

Motherboard Name Asus P5B (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

Motherboard Chipset Intel Broadwater P965

System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT (512 MB)

Audio Adapter Analog Devices AD1988 @ Intel 82801HB ICH8 - High Definition Audio Controller [b-0]

IDE Controller Intel® ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825

IDE Controller Intel® ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820

Disk Drive MAXTOR STM3320620AS ATA Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) (192.168.1.100)

USB1 Controller Intel 82801HB ICH8 - USB Universal Host Controller [b-0]

I can't believe it. I just gave OSX another try and installed the JAS 10.4.8 Image, updated then with the JAS Combo Update to 10.4.9 and went via koolkat's updater to 10.4.10.

Then I tried the Sleep mode (yeah, right, the damn thing that does not work) and what happened??? The Hackintosh resumed without a problem. Yeeha!

The only problem is, I have to reconnect my USB Devices but that should be done with a kext unload/load call or?

I have the latest Bios from the Asus Website installed and now everything works just fine (except USB Problem but I think this can be solved).

I'm loving it!

I installed mac but its not detecting pci devices even if i got proper mac drivers from manufacturer site and my graphics card is also not working primarily because i didnt install nvidia support cause if i do mac crashes during boot after install. Help please? Running osx 10.4.8 (jas Os).

My specs: core2duo e6300@2.8ghz,Asus P5b, gainward bliss 8600gts 256,1gig ram, creative soundblaster 5.1 and M-Audio Delta soundcards. Four sata2 drives and two LG dvd writers(ide).

For sensimeon, It seems like you have to flash your 7950GT card to be recognized under OSX :P

Just like flashing the bios?

Am I better off just swapping out boards?

Uphucks 10.4.9 isn't working,

perhaps I'll just use 1.4.7 like the guide says

I can't believe it. I just gave OSX another try and installed the JAS 10.4.8 Image, updated then with the JAS Combo Update to 10.4.9 and went via koolkat's updater to 10.4.10.

Then I tried the Sleep mode (yeah, right, the damn thing that does not work) and what happened??? The Hackintosh resumed without a problem. Yeeha!

The only problem is, I have to reconnect my USB Devices but that should be done with a kext unload/load call or?

I have the latest Bios from the Asus Website installed and now everything works just fine (except USB Problem but I think this can be solved).

I'm loving it!

I am running now 10.4.9, but because of the iWork 08 trial I am just about to upgrade to 10.4.10.

So we will know soon if it is the 10.4.10 update or the latest bios. Could you tell me the version you use? Thanks!

I am running now 10.4.9, but because of the iWork 08 trial I am just about to upgrade to 10.4.10.

So we will know soon if it is the 10.4.10 update or the latest bios. Could you tell me the version you use? Thanks!

I have no working OS X anymore :(

Koolkal wasn't the best choice, I think. I have no idea how to get it back again, I miss it.

I have copied back the kext-s from the backup folder, but how can I back my old kernel?

What else did it change?

Maybe I should post it to the koolkal topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Back. :rolleyes:

Updated the Bios, and the sleep works!!!

The system comes back, but the networking is dead. No more traffic on en0.

If I remove the cable, it isn't detected: System Preferences / Network Status stays green.

Ifconfig en0 down turns it off, but ifconfig en0 on can't turn it back.

I think I miss the knowledge to solve this.

Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving it!

By 'everything' does that include sound, and the P5B WiFi card? If no wifi, any advice on a new card? WiFi is a must if I'm going to attempt another install. Good to know sleep works though!

• 2 weeks later...

When I try to install uphucks 10.4.9 v1.4i_r3, on my P5B-E, all I get is a blinking cursor once the installation is done and I'm trying to boot.

I'm using a:

- SATA DVD on SATA6 (red)

- full HD (just the one partition for OSX) SATA2 (red)

-jmicron controller off in bios

I have tried gparted to make the partition bootable but that did nothing. (intrestingly enough there seem to be 2 partitions, the one I made in diskutil, and other 100MB FAT one)

Any one else have this problem with the P5B and uphucks DVD? Jas's 10.4.8 boots up once installed but gets 'bus errors' in the terminal when I type 'clear'. After 5 or 6 of those it crashes and I get a message that I have to reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried wifi

But i can confirm that Uphuck 1.4i R3 works well on P5b Deluxe wifi

I have Jmicron disabled, not really interested in the pata/dvdrom as I have usb2 dvdrom burning fine with Toast.

SATA is working at respectable speeds, on comparison with say imac 2.8ghz results on xbench database.

Dualscreen DVI working, 1920x1200 and 1680x1050.

Ethernet port 2 working, however, it is autodetecting to 100mbit. If I manually set the network to 1000 it becomes crippingly slow, something I'm still trying to figure out. 100mbit is respectable performance though, copying a 500mb file from a macbook in under 20 seconds.

I have onboard audio disabled as onboard is dire anyway.

What is working are RME HDSP9652 pci card and RME Fireface 800 firewire interface, both working perfectly with Logic Studio 8 at sub 256 sample latency (for the audio geeks who might be interested). Frontier Tranzport and AMT8 midi both working perfectly too.

Boot drive is a plain old 80gb Maxtor SATA. Another 6 SATA drives in the machine, the 5 on the ICH8 are visible and work well. I initially had the NTFS-3G driver installed but although fast, it corrupted data on the ntfs disks it was reading, so I'm back to read only access native to OSX.

In the Uphuck installer I chose Natit 0.2 Dual with AGPART 2.2. This is getting my 7600GT gigabyte silentpipe working great on both screens.

---

In general the OS feels stable, apart from the foibles mentioned above, this ISO pretty much installs straight on the P5b and works from the get go, I'd be happy to do work on this OS. I gave the OSX it's own dedicated disk. Bios is set to AHCI for the onboard SATA. Jmicron is enabled for windows dual booting but I don't have it active in the OSX partition.

One thing of note - depending on how you are working with your partitions you may find an install seems to work but on reboot you get the cursor. Try booting with the -v option and you'll see what the boot is stopping at, chances are it'll mention the waiting for disk. Make sure the partition is set to active. I don't use Gparted as it doesnt behave very well with the P5B, but the (free) Bootit NG CDrom does a sterling job of quickly making the OSX partition active and thus bootable.

Another thing to note, when you first boot the Uphuck installer, once you get to the installer window, before you continue with it, use Disk Utility from the menu above to create your blank partition on the disk and in the options set it to MBR Master Boot Record then partition it. Continue the Uphuck installer to that MBR partition you created. I think the combination of this and being sure the post-installation partition is set to active makes all the difference.

I would still like to get full 1000 from the network connection, if anyone has fixed this please let me know here.

Hi All,

Hope this will be helpful to others who are trying to Install OSX. I have successfully installed Uphuck 1.4i R2 on this board. Initial research had suggested because of ICH8, Jmicron it would be a problem, however I installed using the VMware method (alternative to this is a SATA DVD drive or external USB dvd drive, to boot Uphuck's DVD) and its been relatively smooth. Everything works including Audio, Lan, X1950pro 256mb PCI-E, DVD writer on Jmicron out of the box. This is a fantastic job by Uphuck, Congrats Guys.

I had initially downloaded 1.4i R3 but there were some reports it was not working as well with ICH8 and so went for 1.4i R2 instead.

My system is a E6300, LG DVD writer, Asus EAX X1950 256MB pro PCI-E, no name 17 inch LCD panel, 2 SATA HDDs - WD2500ks and WD1200 BEVS (external usb drive temporarily connected as 2nd internal SATA drive for OSX installation - the great thing is if after the install I connect it back as a external USB drive OSX boots in USB too)

Patches selected:

1. Login Window 10.4.4

2. Remove CPUPowerManagement Kexts (Not 100% sure whether installed this because have Apple ACPI kexts in my install EDIT- Did not install this)

4. Remove Thermal Kexts

3. Verbose mode

Drivers Selected:

1. ICH8

2. Jccools X1950 driver ( This will give you resolution support and works perfectly but no CI and QE, for that you need to install a driver by Bronya)

3. Azalia audio

4. R1000 network

5. Intel Speedstep

Ps: Not Selected Apple SMBIOS by Netkas and IONetworkingFamily Kext

Things to note:

1. I already had WinXP SP2, Vista and Ubuntu 7.04 installed on my first Hard disk, was triple booting with EasyBCD 1.7 (has NeoGrub) no grub installed on my MBR.

2. Asus P5B bios is set to SATA Enhanced and Jmicron to IDE. (No AHCI)

3. OSX was installed on 20GB Partition on a second SATA HDD connected to Intel SATA port.

4. DVD writer is connected to Jmicron port.

5. During the install forgot about the MBR stuff so it was installed as GUID but is booting perfectly with no issues.

6. Initially I was using my bios F8 option to select the second sata disk to boot OSX, now I use EasyBCD 1.7 which makes it very simple to boot OSX and other OSs.

7. Have installed new X1950PRO drivers by Bronya to get CI and QE support, search for Bronya on Google, works good.

8. iWORK 08 installed and working. Have to edit the setup to install on 10.4.9 though.

In the end it took me a lot of time to research and understand the problems others were facing with similar kind of hardware that I had, before I went ahead and installed to make this work. Research is essential, this is not trivial. Uphuck's DVD makes it easier though provided you spend the time to understand the issues first. This should work on most ICH8/8R boards Intel P965 chipsets.

Thanks Uphuck and all the community members on the various forums for a fantastic effort to get OSX going on Non mac hardware.

EDIT: Koolkals 10.4.10 update did not work for me so had to reinstall Uphuck again. This time used PascalW updater to update to 10.4.10. No issues so far, the new kernel 8.4.10 seems to be more responsive and smoother. Its working really stable now. Geekbench scores are higher on OSX than XP SP2. Only issues are lots of unmet kernel dependencies in system profiler but this was there with Uphuck too and doesn't seem to affect performance, USB is working perfectly on standard installs, haven't installed Orbyte's USB ehci patch. Can boot OSX off USB and other USB devices like Bluetooth and usb sticks are working as fast as in windows.

Hi Raul and thanks for the lengthy information. Can you tell me if you know what part of your installation enabled the JMicron controller. Mines is set to IDE in the bios, but its the one thing I can't get working. I used Uphuck 1.4i R3 and selected similar options as you have, my AHCI disks are all working fine, but Jmicron ATA controller is simply missing in the mac system info.

thanks for any help

Bob

Hi I didn't do anything particular to get jmicron working, just selected the ICH8 patch when installing with Uphuck installer. Then on reboot I can see the DVD burner in system profiler and have used liquidcd to burn cds and dvds, works as fast as in windows.

Only thing is my bios is set up as IDE as I reported i my earlier post. I am not using ahci at all, as you may be aware for the P5B vanilla ahci doesn't work.

Hello,

I'm running OSx86 10.4.10 on an ASUS P5B, and i just can't find a way to make PCI ports working!!!

I did succed to make osx load the IOPCIFamily.kext, after i've modify it, but dont even know

if it as something to do with PCI.... I still cant see any PCI card mounting in the system profiler.

That what the system profiler says about the IOPCIFamily.kext :

IOPCIFamily:

Version: 2.1

Last Modified: 18/09/07 20:48

Get Info String: 2.1, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2000-2004

kext Version: 2.1

Load Address: 0x23d35000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.kernel.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kernel.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

Does any one have an idea??? Please help me.....

Hi I didn't do anything particular to get jmicron working, just selected the ICH8 patch when installing with Uphuck installer. Then on reboot I can see the DVD burner in system profiler and have used liquidcd to burn cds and dvds, works as fast as in windows.

Only thing is my bios is set up as IDE as I reported i my earlier post. I am not using ahci at all, as you may be aware for the P5B vanilla ahci doesn't work.

Hi RaulB, thanks for the info. I have now got the Jmicron working. It seems that what is crucial is to NOT select the SATA driver that is also in the uphuck installer. Then the 10.4.9 is able to find the Jmicron using the ICH8 patch. I have Jmicron in AHCI mode and it works in both XP and OSX!

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I have and Asus P5B, I've installed uphuck 1.4i r2 but I cannot use lan and sound since I get errors on IOPCIFamily.kext. Does anyone succed in installig osx on such motherboard? and which version of mac (jas, uphuck and so on) and which settings for your bios? :)

many thanks

matteo

Hi alll!

I've got Asus P5b-v with core2quad processor and 2 Seagate SATA drives, 1 SATA DVD_RW Pioneer 212d+ 1 Seagate IDE drive. I've a problem with my Hackintosh: In Mac OS X 10/4/9 r3 I only see SATA DVD and 1 SATA HDD...The other SATA isn't working...Ide also. When installing OS X i used patches for SAtA but it still not works. In Bios i swith to ACHI! When in Compatible mode...2 HDD's seen in system profile but i have access only to Master HDD (with OS X)

What's wrong? Help please

yes...it hepled...but not completly: I can see 2 SATA HDDs and SATA DVD in system preferences in SATA table, but i still can;t see IDE HDD. And yet i still can't access second SATA HDD...it didn't apper on Desctop...Maybe i should do anything else??