Asus P5B thread

ReLoad

123 posts in this topic

I keep getting still waiting for root device ...

Do I have to disable the Jmicron controller to get this to work?

and does ICH8R HAVE to be AHCI? (and in the black ports ... whats the difference by the way between the red ones and the black ones?)

im trying to install using a external usb dvd player ... should that work?

Has someone actually installed it on a SATA drive?

Hope someone can help

ps ive got the P5B-E but i dont think its that much different is it?

EDIT: Got it working with Jas 10.4.8

i keep getting errors when i install the sound like "cannot load the kext because it is not valid" and stuff. Anyone know anything about this?

i have litterally read almost every post existing on this site for a solution to the audio problem. BTW, I have a P5B DELUXE, meaning that i have the ad1988b. My code is supposed to be '0x11s4198b', which i already have tried, with no success.

Please help. :D

I can now verify that the JMicron JMB363 works :construction: using the "Gigabyte-method" for my P5B Deluxe Wifi.

It sees my PATA DVD-bruner as a SATA DVD-burner. I can read disks from it and it is reported as burner and all specifics of it are enumerated (burning of CD, DVD+R, DVD-R, RW, DVD-RAM etc). I have not tried to burn anything with it yet though. I believe that this will require Patchburn in my case.

EDIT: Using 10.4.8 Jas reseed DVD.

@tomtefar

Great it works for you. I did enter the string to the kext, but my drive doesn't get recognized. Did you do it exactly the same way as shown in the Gigabyte thread or did you have to do something different? Maybe you could even post your AppleVIAATA.kext. Thanks

It works now! I had to set controller from AHCI to IDE in BIOS. Not the JMicron one, but the Intel! Choosing AHCI now for the Intel my OSX doesn't boot anymore cause I deleted the dev string in AppleAHCI, leaving only the JMicron string. Well, everything works now, so I'm happy!

BTW, which kext for the Yukon do you use? I use the skge.kext, but I get stalling errors when streaming with iTunes.

Great that it works! ;)

I just started using the board and I've used the skge so far. It outputs a lot of debug-messages upon boot though so I removed it now. Was thinking of trying to get the other one running as my next project. I think I read something on how to get the other Marvell ethernet to work in the forum.

Did you install the wireless driver already?

One thing that *really* bothers me though is that at first I could boot from the ICH8R controller (when in AHCI mode) as either "Generic AHCI" (after install) or as "ICH7-M AHCI" after fix above in thread.

Then I did something and now all I get is "Still waiting for ..." !! It's driving me crazy, I don't seem to be able to get it back the way it was which is very weird. (I'm booting of a Sil3132 PCIe card currently). I can get the ICH7-M ACHI to load display itself under "SATA" in "About this Mac" but I can't get it to boot from it anymore. Anyone have a clue as to what I could do?? I kind of thought it was the skge-driver that messed this up (since booting stopped working at about the same time as I installed skge) for

me but it was not the culprit.

Try installing newst Jas 10.4.8 (new kernel) DVD. It has an ICH8 package selectable during setup. I can use the ICH8 SATA disks in IDE mode this way. Modifying some plists's might do the same thing.

I don't have the WiFi version of the P5B, so I can't comment on this, but all the other thing are working for me! The P5B seems like a good choice!

On the new Jas DVD (new kernal) there are 2 kernals available ... semthex or mifki. Which one is better for the P5B? Does the Core 2 Duo Support HPET/NX? What are those and how do i find out if my CPU works with them? (yes i googled and searched here)

EDIT: I tried mifki, since another user had problems with semthex using the P5B-Deluxe. Somethings wrong with the way things are rendered on the screen, cause everytime i move a window it gets all messed up inside. If i press F10, 11, 12 then it goes back to normal, and i can move the window aronnd without it messing up.

I'm trying to install the Titan.kext, but i dont know the administrator username/password, and i dont remember setting one. is there a default one or something?

EDIT2: I changed the administrator password using the change password program on the install cd ... just had to boot with it again ... got Titan.kext to work and now windows behave ok, and everything else that should work with my 7600 works :wallbash:

vaderd:

Yeah I know, I even extracted the kext from that package but it didn't help! :) The funny thing is that I could boot using AHCI before (Generic AHCI and after ICH7-M AHCI mod also as ICH7-M AHCI) but now I can't boot as AHCI or IDE. Very weird. I'm leaning towards making a copy of my Extensions folder, reinstall and then binary diff all of it so I can see what put my system in this state. I only need to find the time. :)

a2000rick:

HPET is a feature in the chipset, Intel has supported it since ICH5 I think I've read somewhere. NX is supported by C2Ds yes.

HPET is a High-Precision..blabla..Timer ;)

NX I think is the "No-eXecute" bit that is supposed to help mainly MS "stop viruses and other malicous code" or something. Most motherboards let you choose wheter the NX-feature should be used (if your CPU has it).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

vaderd: It is possible to get the other Ethernetport working. Just edit AppleYukon and set dev id to 4364 and change 8053 to 8056 in Info.plist for it. I had to use an older IONetworkingfamily.kext though (the one in 10.4.8 Jas reseed DVD gave an PCIe error of some kind). Posting using that ethernetport now. :)

Since there will aparently be a unibin mac osx driver for the wireless RTL8187 released sometime late November, everything is looking pretty good for the P5B Deluxe :D

Now, if I could only find the time to reinstall to solve my boot problem ;)

Is there any solution for the 10.4.8 Azalia sound not working? It does work in 10.4.7, but no detection in 10.4.8...

Hi,

I got numerous of PM's from people using this mobo, so here is a short summary

4. AD1988a sound *outs* (2 - channel) works (similar to thread)

a. Delete AppleHDA.kext:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

b. Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

in Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver key

change the string to:

<string>0x11d41988</string>

c. Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext for matching ICH8 HDA interface proper ID:

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

change the string to:

<string>0x284b8086</string>

d. Refresh kext caches

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

e. reboot

Hello!

Do you know any solution for Azalia sound in 10.4.8? I tried this method (but I only modified the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext string, the one from AppleAzaliaControler is still not modified).

Thanks!

Is there any solution for the 10.4.8 Azalia sound not working? It does work in 10.4.7, but no detection in 10.4.8...

Hello!

Do you know any solution for Azalia sound in 10.4.8? I tried this method (but I only modified the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext string, the one from AppleAzaliaControler is still not modified).

Thanks!

Try this (after making all of the changes in ReLoad's guide):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=228840

It worked for me (Asus P5B on JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only DVD with mifki's kernel).

Try this (after making all of the changes in ReLoad's guide):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=228840

It worked for me (Asus P5B on JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only DVD with mifki's kernel).

Thanks, I will try this also... In the meantime, I succeeded to make the sound work, by editing both string values from the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, same as in 10.4.7, and after that chown + chmod + delete .kextcache & .mkext and reboot. It worked for me, I guess it's working for all P5B owners ;)

I'm so sorry for asking this but...

How I can change values in Terminal to do this

"b. Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

in Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver key

change the string to:

<string>0x11d41988</string>"

I can found the line... but I'm not able to write in it... :(

I'm not so good using Terminal... sorry!

R.

No way...

I changed all like ReLoad said, but it doesn't work. And now, everytime I want to check if my changes are ok, it says that the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is a swap file... and must be restored... ;)

I'm afraid I made something wrong before... how can I restore everything and start again??

So sorry... :(

R.

• 3 weeks later...

All -

Hopefully someone can help me out here, I'm failing miserably getting OSX working on my system. Current configuration: P5B (regular), C2D 6400, 2 SATA drives on ICH8 ctrl, X1900. I'm currently dual booting XP and Vista, with a 3rd partition on the drive for OSX if I can get it working.

I've been trying JaS 10.4.6 and more recently 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Only releases, similar problems with both:

If I boot from the DVD, it goes nowhere.

If I boot from the DVD on a USB drive (in -v mode) I get about 2 minutes in and then get

"SAM Multimedia" READ or WRITE failed, ASC=0x11, ASCQ=0x00". This repeats itself for awhile.

I've also tried getting it running in VMWare (on Vista) and no matter what I try (virtual, partition, entire drive, different LAN settings, etc) it gives me:

"*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down"

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Again its the P5B, not deluxe or -E so I don't have the ICH8R chipset.

Thanks in advance.