{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

So I've got to the OS.

Display only on HDMI to my monitor, nothing on laptop display, audio works, trackpad seems glitchy, wifi not working, "still waiting for root" on every reboot, only -f gets me around it.

I think I'm wasting my time here though, no response, is this a dead forum?

Perhaps this guide is old now, out of date, needs more info adding to it to be a stable method, a warning should be added to the front page pointing out that.

Guys please, I just installed OS X 10.8.2 on my sister's N5110 and the trackpad is not working properly. Its very jerky and I can't use touch to click.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found a new way to enable bt (the atheros one) without restarting.

Leave all the kexts how they are.

Download bootable image for os which supports this bt device. (I used ubuntu 12.04, its small and fast)

Download VMware Fusion

Create virtual machine, and install ubuntu on it.

Choose not to share bt devices with VM.

add in USB and bt connections choose our bt card ( my writes Hewlet packards bt and turns Atheros after getting enabled)

when cold booted and bt is disabled just simply start VM and let it reach desktop. and shut it down.

thats all the bt will be automatically enabled. close the vm and thats all.

Coming to apple BT mouse

Dont use two fingers, or ull get a crash even if wifi is disabled.

to overcome lagginess turn off and then on wifiin network settings.

2 finger and 3 finger gestures will work without crash but don't keep more than 1 finger on the mouse!

Edit: Finally I did it! Yeah, the product id was the problem. I fixed it now. Here is the kext over here. Delete applehidmouse kext in s/l/e and download this kext. Use any kext installer to install this kext and fix permissions. The mouse works great! here is the link

http://www.sendspace.com/file/prlmqu

this kext disables multitouch

i'll upload the one with multitouch later as soon as i finish

@sexyass:

It didn't work! I installed the new kext but trackpad is still jumpy/jerky!!

I have to move my finger very slowly on the pad to get it to work at all. If I move quickly it doesn't detect movement.

Also, when I release my finger off the pad the cursor tends to move up a few centimeters so I can't tap to click something :(

Is there no one here who had this problem before?! Any fix?

@sexyass:

I have to move my finger very slowly on the pad to get it to work at all. If I move quickly it doesn't detect movement.

Also, when I release my finger off the pad the cursor tends to move up a few centimeters so I can't tap to click something :(

This is meant for apple magic mouse, the bluetooth one, not touchpad. sorry

did u try going to settings-->trackpad and decreasing tracking speed, you can try the same with mouse settings

I had the same issues, I could actually hover my finger over the pad without touching it, probably about 3-4mm away and watch the mouse pointer jerk all over the place.

I removed the trackpad kexts totally, using nothing, and the pad and mouse buttons function as they would in windows, so I lost the OS X gestures, but its as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Good luck

@sexyass:

I had the same issues, I could actually hover my finger over the pad without touching it, probably about 3-4mm away and watch the mouse pointer jerk all over the place.

I removed the trackpad kexts totally, using nothing, and the pad and mouse buttons function as they would in windows, so I lost the OS X gestures, but its as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Good luck

I fixed mine using an older version of voodoo which at least works (detected as a mouse).

Here is what I did so far to make my system more stable:

- Revert to older version of PXHCD.kext (.10) as newer one (.11) trashes the system log and caused me a kernel panic once.

- Revert to AppleACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller as VoodooPS2 caused my trackpad to go crazy!!

- Used patched VoodooHDA as the AppleHDA provided in the guide causes assertion errors during boot.

- Renamed devices in DSDT to their mac equivalents . (probably not needed, but just to be safe with future updates)

• Like 1

I had HDMI working, as in displaying correctly at 1080p (not mirrored) the issue I had, was that I could not then get the laptop to boot properly, it would black screen until I plugged something into the HDMI and removed it again to get a display on the laptop.

But I have had to resort to installing another way, and its far from complete due to the lack of support here :( (although people seem to be responding lately)

Can anyone confirm 100% what kext works in ML for the dell 1702 wireless card?

I'm also having an issue with the USB 3.0 ports, they will detect and run external HDDs fine, but will not allow any midi controller to work (I'll be trying the older Kext as suggested in the previous page anyway)

I think I'm most of the way there now, but like I said, Ive had to start from scratch after many fails following this guide, Ive not used any patched DSDT files etc yet, so I guess Im missing a few important parts, probably why none of my fn buttons work (no brightness etc) .

Ill get there I'm sure, happy to see this thread is in fact still alive now :)

Updated the bios a11 mod, but I'm having this error:

https://dl.dropbox.c...mp/IMG_0253.JPG

I'm not using c-states and p-states. I also tested with the original bios A11 + patch in AICPM (when I upgrade the bios mod a11 did not patch the AICPM).

Congratulations for the great effort you have done throughout this time! This changing my way of thinking about sharing information. Thank you.

SOLVED

the problem was in the SSDT, let alone DSDT.aml and ssdt.aml and removed the other files. aml and everything is working.

Updated the bios a11 mod, but I'm having this error:

https://dl.dropbox.c...mp/IMG_0253.JPG

I'm not using c-states and p-states. I also tested with the original bios A11 + patch in AICPM (when I upgrade the bios mod a11 did not patch the AICPM).

Congratulations for the great effort you have done throughout this time! This changing my way of thinking about sharing information. Thank you.

You must enable c-states and p-states in chameleon.

Here is what I did so far to make my system more stable:

- Revert to older version of PXHCD.kext (.10) as newer one (.11) trashes the system log and caused me a kernel panic once.

- Revert to AppleACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller as VoodooPS2 caused my trackpad to go crazy!!

- Used patched VoodooHDA as the AppleHDA provided in the guide causes assertion errors during boot.

- Renamed devices in DSDT to their mac equivalents . (probably not needed, but just to be safe with future updates)

Can you confirm please, what VoodoHDA version you used?

Thanks

Ok, heres my honest opinion on this guide.

I think it has the basis to get people started, and I'm sure some people completed without any problems.

Others, like myself have hit brick walls in places.

It seems that there is various amounts of info regarding issues, alternative methods to installing and fixes within the multiple pages of this guide.

For example, I, as well as others have found that booting without usb can cause a black screen, or what appears to be sleep issues.

I could boot with HDMI, unplug it, then my monitor would be fine.

A modified kext at about page 25(might have been page 55...lol) fixed that for me, as well as the fact, Im having to run without a DSDT.aml file atm, ill extract my own unmodified and put that into EXTRA for now, then apply patches to that as i learn a little more.

I think the first page is good, but with a little editing, it could be great, an updated list of problems, a link to the pages where they have been discussed or just direct links to the fixes?

alternative kext files with links for those with issues, ie voodooHDA, voodooPS2 which has fixed my audio issues, and others trackpad issues (im using this trackpad as a mouse also)

I'm happy to help improve this guide if I can, my knowledge is limited, but I have a little time I'm prepaerd to gather links of files, links to pages for fixes etc, if somebodoy is prepared to edit the front page with the required info?

Thanks