{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

I wonder if I'll be able to boot natively in UEFI now and if I'll be able to disable switchable graphics altogether...

Uefi boot it's possible:

iNdKruBs.jpg         So2pX7hs.jpg

Excellent! You are a genius! How'd you do that?   :D 
And what about your gigabit network card? What  model card you use?

To have gigabit network you need a Vostro 3550 daughterboard that have a Realtek 8111E IC. 

Take care: some people may sell N5110 FastEthernet daughterboard as 3550 daughterboard
  • Like 5

Uefi boot it's possible:

iNdKruBs.jpg         So2pX7hs.jpg

To have gigabit network you need a Vostro 3550 daughterboard that have a Realtek 8111E IC.

Take care: some people may sell N5110 FastEthernet daughterboard as 3550 daughterboard

How you make Uefi boot possible ?

So what do we get with UEFI enable ?

Boot EFI operating systems, ie windows 8, OS X ..

Use of clover bootloader in uefi mode, faster boot times, recovery partition, find my mac option ( might work correctly.depends on nvram I believe, certainly works on my elitebook)

Theres other options available with clover, patching appleHDA on the fly, setting up TRIM enabler to run without prompt after update, plus more... 

I would never go back to chameleon personally after using clover, if it all runs in UEFI on the n5110 without faults, its certainly a move I would make.

In theory, you should be able to install clover without re installing osx, provided the config file is setup correctly, and the correct boxes checked for clover install.

I'm sure Florin9doi  will post his findings after a bit more testing.

Hi

Thanks for sharing your guide.

It worked for me too, but it was not booting except with usb stick. It gave boot0 error. I ve done what you said, but afterwards when i was booting it gave one of the 2 errors. Do you know what might be the problem?

Thanks for your help

post-1302034-0-10619500-1392298737_thumb.jpg

post-1302034-0-14940400-1392298748_thumb.jpg

I notice there is a DSDT.aml in ACPI/patched/

Is that a DSDT from this guide? with or without discreet graphics? Perhaps worth mentioning to others to use there current working DSDT if they are going to try this.

Anything in the config file that may need altering depending on graphics/ display resolutions?

I assume your letting CLOVER deal with SSDT, are you getting all your p states ok?

Thanks for your help and time florin9doi, I'll certainly have a play once I get my friends n5110 again.

*edit I see in config option for Nvidia or not, and dual link, cheers :)

A UEFI boot bios for N5110 can be downloaded from here: http://goo.gl/bhEZti

Don't mirror my file. Give a link to my page.

Guide:

1. Flash the bios (MAIN+NVRAM)
2. Copy efi/boot/bootx64.efi on a FAT32 stick 
3. Reboot and press F12 for boot menu

Here it's a Clover installation to play: http://www.sendspace.com/file/v2o0ot

Hidden menus are not available at the moment.

If you used this rom UEFI can continue using chameleon or mandatorily must migrate to clover

Thanks

If you used this rom UEFI can continue using chameleon or mandatorily must migrate to clover

Thanks

If you use it, there is no point in using chameleon, unless you want it for UEFI windows, i.e. windows 8..

To get the benefits from it, you should use CLOVER, you can move over without formatting, just install it and use the files posted, alter config file to your specs from what I can see.

If your unsure, wait for others to test and post results..