ACPI Backlight Driver

hotKoffy

224 posts in this topic

Good job, hotKoffy.

I just try it, works well in my case. My graphics card is Intel X3100, i can get brightness work by default, i mean by using Fn+up/down adjust brightness but no "sun" notify. After install the driver and edit dsdt, i can the both work, by using the hotkey Fn+Delete and Pause, also the slider adjust function under the Display setting too.

But, I found one thing, OS X can store the brightness level by using keyboard adjust. can't remember by slider adjust. For example, when I use slider adjust brightness level to 50%, after reboot, it goes 100% (But the real value is 50%, just the slider goes 100%.), if I use Hot key to do it, it works well.

Edit:

After do some tests, it really works great i think, I found some clue about brightness level store, when I set the value to 80% or smaller than that, OSX can store the value well, if it larger than 80%, it turn to 100% no matter using keyboard or slider. More information like that I laptop model as Macbook 3,1 and my laptop screen has ten steps, Macbook 3,1 only has eight steps. I think that why i set the value over 80% it change to max value.

Hi I am having trouble with your kext and injecting the properties into my DSDT on my Asus 1201N. The SB scope ones work fine but when I try to inject the other properties under _DSM in IGPU I can't compile a DSDT.aml. Do I have the properties in the wrong location? I knew they went there in the previous kext version but your instructions on this post are vague to me.

This is a driver for laptops which backlight are controlled by ACPI Methods: if you have _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC in you DSDT.

This driver provides native backlight management for laptops with backlight managed by ACPI : slider in the display pref pane and sun bezel when you press backlight up/down hotkey (with an other driver than can understand your keyboard Fn keys...), power management by the OS : dim before sleep, reduce level when AC is unpluged.

post-740414-1316343863_thumb.pngpost-740414-1316343891_thumb.png

It replaces an other driver I've written.ACPIBacklightDisplay.kext This old driver shall be removed.

Tested on SL 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.0 10.7.1. May works on older version, but not tested.

Thanks man, I can use Fn+Delete(ScrLk) and Pause to adjust the brightness, it works perfect for me!

But I still have a trouble about the hotkey. I modified the voodoops2keyboard, changed the scancode, and change the brightness down hotkey to PrtSc, and then something strange happened. I can't use the PrtSc to adjust the brightness to lowest level and some levels are missed, but Fn+Delete works well.

The voodoops2keyboard source is in this thread .

BTW, I'm using 10.6.7.

Thanks.

I've made a diagnostic driver to try to understand what's happening.

It will make some log lines starting by ACPIBacklightDisplay: at the end of boot, and then will refuse to load.

ACPIBacklightDisplay.kext.zip

publish the logs

The log content related to ACPIBacklightDisplay is

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: probe(display0)

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: !kIOConnectionBuiltIn

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: wrong displayType

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: displayType 10

Thank you ;)

The log content related to ACPIBacklightDisplay is

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: probe(display0)

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: !kIOConnectionBuiltIn

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: wrong displayType

Oct 5 17:21:58 tangdeMacBook kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightDisplay: displayType 10

Thank you :)

Your screen is not reconised as built in LCD panel but generic VGA.

I don't know what's happen with ATI drivers. I've NVIDIA.

Do you have integrated intel HD graphics too? like MBP8.2

Looking into imac 12.2 properties is interesting:

post-740414-1317811394_thumb.png

try injecting display type

Edit:

Cyrus the Great use this for his ATI 4850

"@0,display-type",

Buffer (0x05)

{

"LVDS"

},

Try LVDS or LCD

• Like 1

Hi hotKoffy

thanks for this great Kext it works very good

Oct 5 12:28:51 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Found Backlight Device: DD02

Oct 5 12:28:51 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Method _DOS found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.GFX0

Oct 5 12:28:51 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.GFX0.DD02

Oct 5 12:28:51 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Version 1.0

the only problem is that it gives me a KP when i plug any HDMI Cable !!!

i did all the DSDT edits myself, so please take a look

also attached the ioreg

ioreg.rtf

Amer_dsdt.aml.zip

Hi I am having trouble with your kext and injecting the properties into my DSDT on my Asus 1201N. The SB scope ones work fine but when I try to inject the other properties under _DSM in IGPU I can't compile a DSDT.aml. Do I have the properties in the wrong location? I knew they went there in the previous kext version but your instructions on this post are vague to me.

here it is http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264740&st=240

Hi hotKoffy

thanks for this great Kext it works very good

the only problem is that it gives me a KP when i plug any HDMI Cable !!!

i did all the DSDT edits myself, so please take a look

also attached the ioreg

I don't have this problem but I've an idea on what's happening in the code. I will make the change for the next release.

Edit:

New release is online!

Your screen is not reconised as built in LCD panel but generic VGA.

I don't know what's happen with ATI drivers. I've NVIDIA.

Do you have integrated intel HD graphics too? like MBP8.2

Looking into imac 12.2 properties is interesting:

post-740414-1317811394_thumb.png

try injecting display type

Edit:

Cyrus the Great use this for his ATI 4850

"@0,display-type",

Buffer (0x05)

{

"LVDS"

},

Try LVDS or LCD

That did not work. i've tried that several times, but the system seemed to omit the setting and insisted on using "CRT". :(

That did not work. i've tried that several times, but the system seemed to omit the setting and insisted on using "CRT". :(

the os get display type from framebuffer personality may be you must patch the framebuffer that using for your card .

this is mucha guide about modding framebuffer personality:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252061

@hotKoffy,

Firstly congrats and thanks for the perfect kext.

I would like to report my experience with it.

For me the kext provided super smooth brightness control via the slider but no Fn key control.

How ever with the newer version the brightness value does not remain fixed with newer boots and the laptop boots with maximum brightness with every boot.

With the previous release pf ACPI Backlight Driver the brightness level remained fixed once set,and did not change to max with the next boot.

What changed?

@hotKoffy,

Firstly congrats and thanks for the perfect kext.

I would like to report my experience with it.

For me the kext provided super smooth brightness control via the slider but no Fn key control.

How ever with the newer version the brightness value does not remain fixed with newer boots and the laptop boots with maximum brightness with every boot.

With the previous release pf ACPI Backlight Driver the brightness level remained fixed once set,and did not change to max with the next boot.

What changed?

I've finish to followed ACPI specification:

post-740414-1317983559_thumb.png

When the driver initialize, it get the current brightness and look if the AC adapter is plugged.

If the PC is on AC, it took the max between the current value and the first entry in _BCL

If the PC is on Battery, it took the min between the current value and the second entry in _BCL.

So if you wants to change the behaviour for your laptop, edit in your DSDT the package returned by _BCL:

First entry : a minimum value if you are on AC (didn't need to save power)

Second entry : a max auto value if you are on battery.

If you don't like this behaviour and want to get the old one, put the min of the values of _BCL in the first entry and the max in the second.

I've finish to followed ACPI specification:

post-740414-1317983559_thumb.png

When the driver initialize, it get the current brightness and look if the AC adapter is plugged.

If the PC is on AC, it took the max between the current value and the first entry in _BCL

If the PC is on Battery, it took the min between the current value and the second entry in _BCL.

So if you wants to change the behaviour for your laptop, edit in your DSDT the package returned by _BCL:

First entry : a minimum value if you are on AC (didn't need to save power)

Second entry : a max auto value if you are on battery.

If you don't like this behaviour and want to get the old one, put the min of the values of _BCL in the first entry and the max in the second.

ok thanks for the explanation,just to make sure if I set my bcl return package values(first value =min and second=max) then the newer kext will give me same results as before.

Another thing ,can we set the min value to 0,or we should set it at the next min value above zero,as at times the screen goes black completely while booting and hence completely unusable.

ok thanks for the explanation,just to make sure if I set my bcl return package values(first value =min and second=max) then the newer kext will give me same results as before.

Another thing ,can we set the min value to 0,or we should set it at the next min value above zero,as at times the screen goes black completely while booting and hence completely unusable.

Some buggy DSDT didn't return the current backlight value on the first call (_BQC), so I've added a work around returning the first BCL package value instead (but I don't know if this code works). This could have side effect here.

Best is to make some tests.

Some buggy DSDT didn't return the current backlight value on the first call (_BQC), so I've added a work around returning the first BCL package value instead (but I don't know if this code works). This could have side effect here.

Best is to make some tests.

Hi hotKoffy, I download the v1.1 backlight driver, and works well around. But the problem as describe before, I have ten steps of brightness control, and use the slider to adjust the level to 9, close the display preference. When i reopen it, it jump to max level, the IO also shows nine. Here is my brightness control code and some screenshots:

Method (_BCL, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Package (0x0D)
					{
						0x5A, 
						0x28, 
						Zero, 
						0x0A, 
						0x14, 
						0x1E, 
						0x28, 
						0x32, 
						0x3C, 
						0x46, 
						0x50, 
						0x5A, 
						0x64
					})
				}
				Method (_BCM, 1, NotSerialized)
				{
					Divide (Arg0, 0x0A, Local0, Local1)
					Store (Local1, ^^^LPCB.EC.BRTS)
				}
				Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Multiply (^^^LPCB.EC.BRTS, 0x0A, Local0)
					Return (Local0)
				}

post-459659-1318041303_thumb.png

post-459659-1318041355_thumb.png

At first, I think my laptop model cause this happen, but when i change to other models without good luck. Any ideas ?

Hi hotKoffy, I download the v1.1 backlight driver, and works well around. But the problem as describe before, I have ten steps of brightness control, and use the slider to adjust the level to 9, close the display preference. When i reopen it, it jump to max level, the IO also shows nine. Here is my brightness control code and some screenshots:

Method (_BCL, 0, NotSerialized)
				 {
					 Return (Package (0x0D)
					 {
						 0x5A, 
						 0x28, 
						 Zero, 
						 0x0A, 
						 0x14, 
						 0x1E, 
						 0x28, 
						 0x32, 
						 0x3C, 
						 0x46, 
						 0x50, 
						 0x5A, 
						 0x64
					 })
				 }
				 {
					 Divide (Arg0, 0x0A, Local0, Local1)
					 Store (Local1, ^^^LPCB.EC.BRTS)
				 }
				 {
					 Multiply (^^^LPCB.EC.BRTS, 0x0A, Local0)
					 Return (Local0)
				 }

post-459659-1318041303_thumb.png

post-459659-1318041355_thumb.png

At first, I think my laptop model cause this happen, but when i change to other models without good luck. Any ideas ?

Seems that your DSDT returns the index in _BCL instead of the value itself. I've see some checks about this in Linux drivers but I've not coded this (this is a DSDT bug).

try this:

{

Store (Arg0, ^^^LPCB.EC.BRTS)

}

{

Return (^^^LPCB.EC.BRTS)

}

You can also extend the table between Zero and 0x64 (100% of PWM), it will gives smooth transitions during brightness level change.

Hello, I added the values to my dsdt (GFX0) and your kext loads and I have slider in preference pane and hotkeys work(I see the sun bezel) but the brightness does not change at all.

Oct 13 13:44:07 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Found Backlight Device: LCDD
Oct 13 13:44:07 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Method _DOS found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0
Oct 13 13:44:07 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0.LCDD
Oct 13 13:44:07 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Version 1.0

I attached my ioreg dump and dsdt, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

DSDTandIOREG.zip

EDIT:

updated ioreg.txt, the other one did not show everything.

ioreg.txt

This is a driver for laptops which backlight are controlled by ACPI Methods: if you have _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC in you DSDT.

This driver provides native backlight management for laptops with backlight managed by ACPI : slider in the display pref pane and sun bezel when you press backlight up/down hotkey (with an other driver than can understand

Great work 'hotKoffy', thank you!! Works great on my HP Pavillion and no KPs on resolution change like I had with ivik's kext.

Best wishes

swavek

I have that in kernel.log

11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: Found Backlight Device: DD02
11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Method _DOS found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.GFX0
11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.GFX0.DD02
11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: Version 1.1

However, when I put the slider on the lowest setting in System Preferences, the brightness of the screen stays on max.

Any ideas?

Here is my DSDT:

dsdt.aml.zip

'mathq' you forgot about this code in your DSDT:

"AAPL,HasPanel",
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
					},

"AAPL,Haslid",
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
					},

"AAPL,backlight-control",
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
					},

"@0,backlight-control",
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
					},

"@0,AAPL,boot-display",
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
					},

"@0,built-in",
					Buffer ()
					{
						One
					},

I have that in kernel.log

11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: Found Backlight Device: DD02
 11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Method _DOS found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.GFX0
 11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.GFX0.DD02
 11-10-13 18:25:02,000 kernel: ACPIBacklightPanel: Version 1.1

However, when I put the slider on the lowest setting in System Preferences, the brightness of the screen stays on max.

Any ideas?

Here is my DSDT:

dsdt.aml.zip

I've compile a version with verbose log. It will help you understanding.

I've compile a version with verbose log. It will help you understanding.

Just loaded this version, However the brightness still does not change. my dsdt and ioreg are a few posts up, any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or are my BCQ and BCM methods not returning proper values?

Verbose Debug Log:

Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::probe()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::findDevices()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::hasBacklightMethods()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::getGPU()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU0
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::hasDOSMethod()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU1
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU2
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU3
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU4
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU5
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU6
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: CPU7
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: _SB
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: PCI0
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: PEG1
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: testing device: GFX0
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI device GFX0 has _DOS
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::getChildWithBacklightMethods()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI device LCDD has _BCL
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI device LCDD has _BCM
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI device LCDD has _BQC
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Found Backlight Device: LCDD
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Method _DOS found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0.LCDD
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: probe(devices found : true)
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: LCDD has backlight Methods
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::start()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::findDevices()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::getDeviceControl()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: BIOS control disabled: _DOS
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::setupIndexedLevels()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::queryACPISupportedBrightnessLevels()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: LCDD _BCL 13
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: getIndexForLevel(36) is 3
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: getIndexForLevel(72) is 7
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::queryACPICurentBrightnessLevel()
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: queryACPICurentBrightnessLevel _BQC = 8
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: getIndexForLevel(8) not found !
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: getBatteryDevice() matching not null
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: min = 0, max = 10, value = 3
Oct 14 15:41:57 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Version 1.1
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::setDisplay()
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::doUpdate()
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPILevel min 0, max 10, value 3
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPILevel min 0, max 10, value 3
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::doIntegerSet(brightness)
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::setACPIBrightnessLevel()
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: setACPIBrightnessLevel _BCM(36)
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::doIntegerSet(brightness)
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::setACPIBrightnessLevel()
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: setACPIBrightnessLevel _BCM(36)
Oct 14 15:42:14 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::doIntegerSet(commit)
Oct 14 15:42:42 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::doIntegerSet(brightness)
Oct 14 15:42:42 Jamezelles-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel::setACPIBrightnessLevel()

ioreg -l :

ioreg.txt

DSDT.dsl

DSDT.dsl.zip

I'm getting that kernel panic with the verbose version.

_BQC is returning an out of range 650 value. (not responsible of KP)

{

If (IGDS)

{

Return (QBQC ())

}

Else

{

Return (Divide (Multiply (QBQC (), 0xFF), 0x64, ))

}

}

It is possible that IGDS is setup by BIOS. There is a lot of tests about it in the DSDT.

Edit:

Verbose KP corrected:

_BQC is returning an out of range 650 value. (not responsible of KP)

{

If (IGDS)

{

Return (QBQC ())

}

Else

{

Return (Divide (Multiply (QBQC (), 0xFF), 0x64, ))

}

}

It is possible that IGDS is setup by BIOS. There is a lot of tests about it in the DSDT.

Edit:

Verbose KP corrected:

I've replaced the Method (_BQC) with what you said and I still can't adjust brightness.

Here is my kernel.log

Log

Thanks,

xmath279