nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

Did anyone get sleep working on the p5n32-e sli plus (650i) board? thanks to the great help from verdant, this is about the only thing missing from my Lion install.

Sleep invariably does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs......thus, it does not work on my p5n32-e sli plus (650i) board.......

verdant, do you have any idea why my shutdown/restart doesn't work? I have EvOreboot.kext right now but have tried OpenHaltRestart.kext and neither seem to work... any idea's why? My board is the P5N-D.

I cannot say off the top of my head, so try the following procedure:

[1] Confirm that both kexts are x86_64 versions using Kext Wizards Info function......

[2] Wherever you have placed either kext, reset the kext ownership and permissions.....

[3] If neither is working in /Extra/Extensions/ move them in /System/Library/Extensions/......reset the /S/L/E/ownership and permissions.....and recreate the kernelcache......suggest you use Kext Wizard.......

[4] Use Disk Utility to repair system permissions too.....

I should point out that the in-built Chameleon restart fix does not work for me........so I use eVoReboot.kext but my v1.1 Lion Support files includes both a 64bit eVoReboot.kext and a 64bit OpenHaltRestart.kext.....

Well this is stumping me now... they're both x86_64 versions and I've tried both in both places and still nothing... At least I can still use restart from the terminal but it still won't work from the Apple menu or from installers...

Have you done any significant DSDT modding beyond the CMOS restart RTC fix....?

I don't have a DSDT as any time I try to compile one I get errors...

I have PM'd you your fixed DSDT...... :(

Edited by verdant

Hey Verdant. After many hours, I was able to get the motherboard in working order (damn intel push pins connectors for heatsinks, lol ). I got KP's on boot from not having NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (dumb mistake on my part). Then, the bootable USB would get stuck on PCI configuration begin. But I was able to fix both of those issues. I loaded into a minimal enviroment (-v -f cpus=1 maxmem=2048 arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000) and extracted DSDT, applied patches, and went to compile it. The system then rebooted itself randomly. I figured this was just due to the fact that the DSDT was not properly configured, so I saved the extracted DSDT.dsl file, and then compiled it on windows. No errors and no warnings, so I ported that back over to the lion drive and booted up. Chameleon loaded the DSDT, and lion booted up (faster than ever, suprisingly.) Graphics were fully enabled at 1920x1080. I was so happy. However, networking was not functioning. So I downloaded lnx2mac's driver for the realtek 8111D, copied it over to the lion drive, and began to run the package. The machine rebooted immediately as it was opening the package installer. So there we are, the new board looks pretty and runs slightly cooler, but randomly reboots itself for reasons unknown to me. I attached the DSDT.aml file that I'm using. (Keep in mind, however, the computer would reboot even when a DSDT wasn't loaded) Since that did occur, it's leading me to believe it's a bios-related error on my part.

Bios is set to AHCI native mode. C1E is enabled, as well as various other things I figured I would require for speedstepping. (TM2, EIST) HPET is set to 64-bit mode. ACPI is set to S3(STR). Virtualization is disabled. As far as i can tell, XD is disabled (although I don't see an option for it.) Do you think it's resetting because I'm running the RAM at 1600mhz? It's designed to run at that speed without overclocking, so I'm not sure why that would be a problem. Timings and voltages are set 100% to the manufacturers specs.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, because this is driving me nuts (lol)

DSDT.aml.zip

motherboard is a gigabyte s-series GA-p45t-ES3G (P45 northbridge, ICH10 southbridge) with a Q9300 cpu [at 3.0ghz so that the RAM and the FSB are at 1:1 (1600mhz)] now with 8GB of DDR3 RAM at 9-9-9-24 1.5V.

I know this is probably more geared towards one of the intel guys, but if it's an obvious thing I'm overlooking, maybe you can spot it, since you've been a genius throughout this whole process :(

Hi i have the same motherboard and was wandering if you could give me a quick guide on how you installed it. Keep getting a kernal panic so I used apple power null kext and now just get a grey screen

Hi i have the same motherboard and was wandering if you could give me a quick guide on how you installed it. Keep getting a kernal panic so I used apple power null kext and now just get a grey screen

Surely. I'll try to help you in PM so that we don't derail verdant's thread further with intel.

Hi i have realtek alc883 integrated sound card I am just wondering if anyone has been able to get it to run under lion os x

thanks

Have you tried the DTGP Method + DSDT Device (HDEF) patches with AppleHDA v10.6.2 instead of the 10.7.1 or 10.7.0 AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ and a Info.plist -only, i.e. legacy ALC883 kext in /Extra/Extensions/.....?

i dont know how to do dsdt.

Can you help me mod it?

If you send me your unmodified dsdt.aml or dsdt.dsl file, I can help you.....;)

here is my dsdt.dsl

can you also include the fix for qe and ci in dsdt.

Lion can recognize my video card but i dont have qe and ci enabled.

Your DSDT had already been patched for HDEF and DTGP etc. but not quite correctly......I have hopefully sorted Device (HDEF) for you to use a Legacy ALC883 kext in /E/E/ and v10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/.....

verdant_DTGP_and_HDEF_Fixed_DSDT.zip

I have done no GFX patching as I cannot test it out because I do not have dual video cards......you will have to follow this up yourself......see here........

hi,

tanks for this guide

i dont know how to do Modifying the DSDT.aml File

i try it, but i receive some error

Can you help me mod it?

p.s: sorry for my English bu i'm Italian

No need to worry about your English.......if anything I say is not easy to understand, then just ask me to explain......;)

Zip up your DSDT.aml file and PM (that is, send me a Private Message) a download link........and I will look at it for you......

What DSDT modifications do you need......?

No need to worry about your English.......if anything I say is not easy to understand, then just ask me to explain......

Zip up your DSDT.aml file and PM (that is, send me a Private Message) a download link........and I will look at it for you......

What DSDT modifications do you need......?

here is my dsdt.dsl

dsdt.dsl.zip

the modifications is:

3. Device (HPET) fix to enable the removal of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /Extra/Extensions/ and loading of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

4. Device (LPCB) patch insertion into the DSDT.aml file to enable Native Power Management in OS X

5. Device (TMR) and Device (PIC) fixes to prevent audio "stuttering" when Native Power Management in OS X is enabled, i.e. after SpeedStepping with C-states is enabled

and what you believe necessary....

very tanks

here is my dsdt.dsl

dsdt.dsl.zip

the modifications is:

3. Device (HPET) fix to enable the removal of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /Extra/Extensions/ and loading of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

4. Device (LPCB) patch insertion into the DSDT.aml file to enable Native Power Management in OS X

5. Device (TMR) and Device (PIC) fixes to prevent audio "stuttering" when Native Power Management in OS X is enabled, i.e. after SpeedStepping with C-states is enabled

and what you believe necessary....

very tanks

I have cleaned, fixed and patched your DSDT.aml file except for Device (HDEF) because I need to know what your audio chipset/codec is.....and how you want to obtain sound......I have replied to your PM.......:(

Your DSDT had already been patched for HDEF and DTGP etc. but not quite correctly......I have hopefully sorted Device (HDEF) for you to use a Legacy ALC883 kext in /E/E/ and v10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/.....

verdant_DTGP_and_HDEF_Fixed_DSDT.zip

I have done no GFX patching as I cannot test it out because I do not have dual video cards......you will have to follow this up yourself......see here........

Hey verdant

Great job

Great tutorial

DTGP into definition block

at the beginning or end

will not make a difference

being within the device it works the same way

audio ID 12

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465

smbus, lpc, hpet, fix warnings...

Hey verdant

Great job

Great tutorial

DTGP into definition block

at the beginning or end

will not make a difference

being within the device it works the same way

audio ID 12

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465

smbus, lpc, hpet, fix warnings...

Hi MaLd0n,

Thanks for the kind words.....and the info on DTGP location......

My difficulty with helping with DSDT mods is that [a] I do not have the vast experience and in-depth knowledge that you do with DSDT modding, I have only my 650i ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus PC, which makes it "tricky" to fix other MOBO DSDTs because I cannot always test the modifications.....for example:

HPET fixes to prevent Panic when NullCPUPowerManagement is not present in /Extra......

Modifications to sections not in my DSDT.aml.... e.g. SMBUS etc.

Modifications for audio chipsets/codecs other than my AD1988B etc.....

and [c] it is not always obvious (at least to me) which modifications are so generic that they are DSDT.aml-independent......

tanks for my dsdt!

i have a beautiful speedstep

sorry, but i have another problem to the applestore/facetime login

i try to add efi string but this cause problem whit my video card

wen Ethernet efi string is present i have only one resolution (i use GraphicsEnabler=Yes)

can you help me?

tanks for my dsdt!

i have a beautiful speedstep

sorry, but i have another problem to the applestore/facetime login

i try to add efi string but this cause problem whit my video card

wen Ethernet efi string is present i have only one resolution (i use GraphicsEnabler=Yes)

can you help me?

Glad the DSDT.aml file is working for you..... :thumbsup_anim:

See if installing Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1493 fixes the applestore/facetime login using in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

but with no Ethernet EFI string included.....

Glad the DSDT.aml file is working for you..... :thumbsup_anim:

See if installing Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1493 fixes the applestore/facetime login using in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

but with no Ethernet EFI string included.....

i have installed Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 as per your instructions .....

can i change it?

where i find it?

thanks a lot!