nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

NO... i have been trying from day lion developer preview has been released..succeeded now.. :D I read the VCH888's topic, it helped me but none of the procedure worked me.

Then double congratulations...... :) I now know who to ask if ever I need to do something similar for AD1998B or any other codec on any future MOBO..... :)

I am now writing up your procedure in the Audio section of my guide......

Then double congratulations...... :) I now know who to ask if ever I need to do something similar for AD1998B or any other codec on any future MOBO..... :D

Thank you :) ..I should read the rest of you DSDT mod and should make some tweaks...:

hey, do you have any idea of patching vanilla AppleHDA..?

Thank you :) ..I should read the rest of you DSDT mod and should make some tweaks...:

hey, do you have any idea of patching vanilla AppleHDA..?

With the apparent changes from Snow Leopard to Lion, I am following what is going on in the Project OS X Forum in THe KiNG's "[HOW TO] Patch AppleHDA - Knowledge Base, Guide for how to fix/use original AppleHDA topic"....

BTW if you want, please PM me some .png screenshots of your System report on Audio and System Preferences >>>> Sound windows so that I can add them to what I have written for you in my post #5......thanks...... :)

With the apparent changes from Snow Leopard to Lion, I am following what is going on in the Project OS X Forum in THe KiNG's "[HOW TO] Patch AppleHDA - Knowledge Base, Guide for how to fix/use original AppleHDA topic"....

BTW if you want, please PM me some .png screenshots of your System report on Audio and System Preferences >>>> Sound windows so that I can add them to what I have written for you in my post #5......thanks...... :)

yeah i have been reading the post but i unable to understand...:) i will send the screenshots.

I just read the discussion between verdant and abhilash. I followed through everything they said and got my audio working flawlessly! I edited my dsdt.aml using DSDTSE and added method (hdef) and added the kexts abhilash showed. I wanted to let anyone else know, after making all the changes it didn't start working until I added the ALC885.kext to my /Extra folder. After doing everything abhilash said to do, and adding the ALC885.kext from verdant all my audio is working perfectly. Thanks a lot ;)

Both front and back work, all the ports. I am running this on a 680i LT SLI board.

I just read the discussion between verdant and abhilash. I followed through everything they said and got my audio working flawlessly! I edited my dsdt.aml using DSDTSE and added method (hdef) and added the kexts abhilash showed. I wanted to let anyone else know, after making all the changes it didn't start working until I added the ALC885.kext to my /Extra folder. After doing everything abhilash said to do, and adding the ALC885.kext from verdant all my audio is working perfectly. Thanks a lot ;)

Both front and back work, all the ports. I am running this on a 680i LT SLI board.

Glad to help but it is surprising that you are using the ALC885.kext from VCH888 I presume and still also have abhilash's LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E for working audio......or is this not the case?

Or did you mean iLeopod's ALC885.kext and not VCH888's ALC885_889a.kext......?

Edited by verdant

I just read the discussion between verdant and abhilash. I followed through everything they said and got my audio working flawlessly! I edited my dsdt.aml using DSDTSE and added method (hdef) and added the kexts abhilash showed. I wanted to let anyone else know, after making all the changes it didn't start working until I added the ALC885.kext to my /Extra folder. After doing everything abhilash said to do, and adding the ALC885.kext from verdant all my audio is working perfectly. Thanks a lot :)

Thats really great... happy to hear..:D;)

Verdant, you're right about the LegacyHDA.kext, it isn't being used after adding ALC885, but my system works well this way. So I am happy with it ;) Thanks for both of your help again.

For future reference, all I did was add the ALC885 kext, the AppleHDA kext provided by abhilash and the method (hdef) from abhilash. Of course I already had added some other things to my DSDT.aml in the past, such as dtgp.

Verdant, you're right about the LegacyHDA.kext, it isn't being used after adding ALC885, but my system works well this way. So I am happy with it ;) Thanks for both of your help again.

For future reference, all I did was add the ALC885 kext, the AppleHDA kext provided by abhilash and the method (hdef) from abhilash. Of course I already had added some other things to my DSDT.aml in the past, such as dtgp.

OK I will amend post #5 to mention that on your 680i LT you used iLeopod's ALC885.kext and abhilash's HDEF patch and AppleHDA.kext......

OK I will amend post #5 to mention that on your 680i LT you used iLeopod's ALC885.kext and abhilash's HDEF patch and AppleHDA.kext......

hey verdant, as per vinnymac configuration i checked with ALC885.kext. Sound is working but front panel not working for me...

@Vinnymac Can u please check ALC885.kext and LegacyHDA.kext installed separately with AppleHDA.kext and check..

Verdant, thank you. I've been able to enable vanilla speedstepping thanks to your guide.

I've purchased a PCI-e firewire card and I've installed it

When onboard IEEE 1394 controller is disabled in bios, i get these messages from the console:" FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 197b ID 2380 PCI now active, GUID 001b8c000001006d; max speed s400.

SPFWR ERROR: FireWire bus may be unstable. Other FireWire devices may be present.

2011-08-19 15:43:38.502 system_profiler[214:9303] SPFWR ERROR: FireWire bus may be unstable. Other FireWire devices may be present.

FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 197b ID 2380 PCI: no valid selfIDs for more than 3 minutes after bus reset.

The device (Presonus Firebox) does not get recognized by the firewire kexts and therefore cannot be used.

When I enable the onboard IEEE 1394 controller, both the onboard bus and the PCI-e bus are recognized. When I plug the firebox in, it gets recognized and loaded, but the entire OS freezes shortly after (just like how snow leopard did with all four cpu cores enabled).

I'm currently on windows 7 and trying to update the firmware on the firebox to see if that will help, but i'm pessimistic.

I've come so far thanks to you. I'm so close to having a fully functional and stable Lion system. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

edit: interestingly enough, even in windows, when onboard IEEE 1394 controller is disabled, windows cannot detect the firebox either. hmmm...

i'm starting to think it's just the firebox itself. the thing exploded once (not even joking, it caught on fire) so i sent it in to be repaired, and now it's broken again. there's probably a reason why it was discontinued.

i also just found out that vendor 197b refers to JMicron. So I guess they sent me the wrong firewire card. However, it is detected in Lion so it should work, right?

Verdant, thank you. I've been able to enable vanilla speedstepping thanks to your guide.

I've purchased a PCI-e firewire card and I've installed it

When onboard IEEE 1394 controller is disabled in bios, i get these messages from the console:" FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 197b ID 2380 PCI now active, GUID 001b8c000001006d; max speed s400.

SPFWR ERROR: FireWire bus may be unstable. Other FireWire devices may be present.

2011-08-19 15:43:38.502 system_profiler[214:9303] SPFWR ERROR: FireWire bus may be unstable. Other FireWire devices may be present.

FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 197b ID 2380 PCI: no valid selfIDs for more than 3 minutes after bus reset.

The device (Presonus Firebox) does not get recognized by the firewire kexts and therefore cannot be used.

When I enable the onboard IEEE 1394 controller, both the onboard bus and the PCI-e bus are recognized. When I plug the firebox in, it gets recognized and loaded, but the entire OS freezes shortly after (just like how snow leopard did with all four cpu cores enabled).

I'm currently on windows 7 and trying to update the firmware on the firebox to see if that will help, but i'm pessimistic.

I've come so far thanks to you. I'm so close to having a fully functional and stable Lion system. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

edit: interestingly enough, even in windows, when onboard IEEE 1394 controller is disabled, windows cannot detect the firebox either. hmmm...

i'm starting to think it's just the firebox itself. the thing exploded once (not even joking, it caught on fire) so i sent it in to be repaired, and now it's broken again. there's probably a reason why it was discontinued.

i also just found out that vendor 197b refers to JMicron. So I guess they sent me the wrong firewire card. However, it is detected in Lion so it should work, right?

Glad to have helped you come this far and that my guide help you to implement SpeedStepping...... :blink:

Since Firewire was an Apple technology it appears to often not be very well implemented in PCs nor stable during heavy data transfers across the bus.......my guess is that even when Firewire is on a PCI card the data stream goes via the Southbridge chipset:

post-200327-1313792992_thumb.png

and since this chipset also handles the onboard Firewire port, Firewire (IEEE1394a) needs to be enabled in BIOS.....

My experience is that JMicron support for OS X is poor.......I have a JMicron JMB363 SATA II - PCIe chipset based eSATA card and the JMicron site does not appear to even host OS X kexts for it.....I have a 32bit kext installer that came with the card but I need a 64bit kext to use it in Lion....... ;)

Sorry to bring bad news........but according to the PreSonus website:

Mac OSX (10.3.7 - 10.5+) FireBox Mixer application and Control Panel (Universal)

download

(Please note: no driver installation is necessary for Mac users)

Do you know what JMicron chipset your Firewire PCI card is using.......as PreSonus have recommend particular Firewire chipsets and hence Firewire PCI-e interface cards: hardware_compatibility.pdf and these are incompatible:

JMicron JMB381 PCI Express

JMicron JMB382 PCI Express

JMicron JMB3838 PCI Express

@abhilash I will retest both LegacyHDA.kext and ALC885.kext and tell you the results here ;)

AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHDA.kext with HDEF Fix:

The Speaker icon is greyed out and no info for input/output in Sys Pref for sound. Idk whats wrong :/

AppleHDA.kext + ALC885.kext with HDEF Fix:

Got everything working here. I find it really strange that we have the same mobo and different solutions here...

If you want I can send you my DSDT, maybe help you figure it out?

@abhilash I will retest both LegacyHDA.kext and ALC885.kext and tell you the results here ;)

The Speaker icon is greyed out and no info for input/output in Sys Pref for sound. Idk whats wrong :/

Got everything working here. I find it really strange that we have the same mobo and different solutions here...

@abhilash and @Vinnymac

Thanks for getting your heads together to sort this out before I amend my post #5 guide for the ALC885 (ALC889a) CODEC........

Cheers verdant.......:)

What a great guide!!

I got Lion up and running on my p5n32-E Sli Plus in no time.

now I'm trying to iron out the post installation kinks.

I'm making a DSDT file and got RTC, UID0 in PCI1 (For GFX), DTGP and HPET to compile in DSDTES.

don't know if its all working but it seems to be. now LPCB is giving me problems, I get an error whenever i put in LPCB instead of LEG0? (6 Object does not exist errors). Also i get no video signal when i boot up, or in bios. it will return sometimes at random, but mostly just no signal. works fine when i enter OSX, it seems very wired?

i can post Logs and a DSDT.aml if needed.

again treks for a great guide.

• Like 1

@abhilash I will retest both LegacyHDA.kext and ALC885.kext and tell you the results here :)

ok.. can u please send me your dsdt, so that i will have a look over it. :D

What a great guide!!

I'm making a DSDT file and got RTC, UID0 in PCI1 (For GFX), DTGP and HPET to compile in DSDTES.

don't know if its all working but it seems to be. now LPCB is giving me problems, I get an error whenever i put in LPCB instead of LEG0? (6 Object does not exist errors). Also i get no video signal when i boot up, or in bios. it will return sometimes at random, but mostly just no signal. works fine when i enter OSX, it seems very wired?

Glad you liked the guide and that it got you running Lion quickly........ :)

Remove the current DSDT.aml from your OS X Lion or Snow Leopard system and run this app (courtesy of MaLd0n): run_me.zip ( 66.11K ) Number of downloads: 0

and send me the output file.......also send me your current DSDT.aml or dsdt.dsl file

Your kexts worked perfect made my own install Using myHack 2 RC4.1

Only needed AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext (and nForceLAN.kext) the generic kexts from myHack and Now my Asus P5N72-T premium is working PERFECT!! Not even one bug.

What a great guide!!

What is your graphics card?

Your kexts worked perfect made my own install Using myHack 2 RC4.1

Only needed AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext (and nForceLAN.kext) the generic kexts from myHack and Now my Asus P5N72-T premium is working PERFECT!! Not even one bug.

Good for you......all roads lead to nForce....... :thumbsup_anim: ......LOL

I'm probably just gonna shell out for a new audio interface. My music has been getting better so it may be time for an upgrade anyway. I'd be okay with shelling out another 45 dollars or so for another PCI-e firewire card if you can be about 80% sure that it'll work. Otherwise I'll just get a USB based unit. I was going to get the SIIG PCI-e firewire card that people usually buy to put in their real macs. It has a TI chipset. I can use the PCI-e firewire without the onboard firewire being used, right? It recognizes the Jmicron card right now and I have onboard turned off. Presonus doesn't play nice with Jmicron. I knew that all along, but I thought I purchased a TI chipset.

I'm probably just gonna shell out for a new audio interface. My music has been getting better so it may be time for an upgrade anyway. I'd be okay with shelling out another 45 dollars or so for another PCI-e firewire card if you can be about 80% sure that it'll work. Otherwise I'll just get a USB based unit. I was going to get the SIIG PCI-e firewire card that people usually buy to put in their real macs. It has a TI chipset. I can use the PCI-e firewire without the onboard firewire being used, right? It recognizes the Jmicron card right now and I have onboard turned off. Presonus doesn't play nice with Jmicron. I knew that all along, but I thought I purchased a TI chipset.

I may be confused but in your previous post you said "I enable the onboard IEEE 1394 controller, both the onboard bus and the PCI-e bus are recognized." and "even in windows, when onboard IEEE 1394 controller is disabled, windows cannot detect the firebox either."......so it was not clear if Firewire had to be enabled in BIOS for you to actually transfer data across the Firewire PCIe card versus just its presence being detected in the PCIe slot when Firewire is disabled in BIOS......

So, regarding your statement: "I can use the PCI-e firewire without the onboard firewire being used, right? It recognizes the Jmicron card right now and I have onboard turned off."......I would say yes but could not guarantee it based on what you have said without you checking it out.....

abhilash here is my DSDT. If you need anything else send me a PM or message me here.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi Vinnymac, just checking if everything is still working 100% for you.....?

@ abhilash You can compare two dsdt.dsl files using DiffMerge....... :P

Well PS/2 doesn't work. But that isn't the worst thing that could happen. The only problem I seem to be having besides that is that very rarily I will get the beach ball spinning and it will hang. And then it locks up the computer, and I can't do anything. It doesn't happen often though. If I had any clue why it happens I would ask about it.

Restart/Shutdown work fine, but Sleep does not.

Well PS/2 doesn't work. But that isn't the worst thing that could happen. The only problem I seem to be having besides that is that very rarily I will get the beach ball spinning and it will hang. And then it locks up the computer, and I can't do anything. It doesn't happen often though. If I had any clue why it happens I would ask about it.

Restart/Shutdown work fine, but Sleep does not.

Sorry about the PS/2 anyhow.......perhaps a reader may have a solution(s) for you to try.....

A very interesting post I have come across on the Tech Support Guy forum by 5ndr5 was:

I had an nvidia chipset motherboard (EVGA 680i) and 4gb ram (ocz). Now after months and months of "random" freezes, rebooting, re-installing, different drivers, re-applying thermal paste, studying crash dumps................it turned out to be a "known" issue with my motherboard + all memory banks filled (1gb x 4), the ONLY thing that resolved it for me was to install x2 2gb modules !!!

so it may be worth running with just the 2 x 2GB RAM modules to see if that makes a difference.......iLeopod has posted in IM about giving up on his EVGA 680i because of the random lockups......but I do not know if he saw a difference using only 2GB RAM modules....?