[GUIDE] OSX Lion on non-GUID (works on final too)

Aju Deeju

130 posts in this topic

Ok....delete the extra folder in the root of your installation media and open up terminal in your existing mac and type in:

then open up the root of your snow leopard disk and copy your extra folder into the root of your Lion installation media

and install this chameleon to the Lion installation.

thanks for the fast reply... just got back from golfing an hour ago...

that is the version of chameleon i have been trying to use and from more experimenting i think it may be the route of my problem...

with your above i get the grey screen...

once that chameleon was on the test drive i booted onto that and tried to launch snow but it did the smae but now the purply background with no functionality...

i then booted onto my untouched perfectly working snow 10.6.8 using rc5 r486 and it still worked...

then booted onto the perfect drive 10.6.8 and then launched the test drive with the snow i am trying to get to lion and it booted normally....

so i think its something to do with chameleon... so i used the one from this thread and now managed to install Lion... thanks for the help... very impressed!!! now to get sound and network!!!

edit - got network to work...

thanks for the fast reply... just got back from golfing an hour ago...

that is the version of chameleon i have been trying to use and from more experimenting i think it may be the route of my problem...

with your above i get the grey screen...

once that chameleon was on the test drive i booted onto that and tried to launch snow but it did the smae but now the purply background with no functionality...

i then booted onto my untouched perfectly working snow 10.6.8 using rc5 r486 and it still worked...

then booted onto the perfect drive 10.6.8 and then launched the test drive with the snow i am trying to get to lion and it booted normally....

so i think its something to do with chameleon... so i used the one from this thread and now managed to install Lion... thanks for the help... very impressed!!! now to get sound and network!!!

edit - got network to work...

Make a carbon copy clone of your OSX Lion on other disk and then

for your sound download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and choose only these :

AppleHDA Rollback

VoodooHDA 0.2.72

Install and reboot...

Make a carbon copy clone of your OSX Lion on other disk and then

for your sound download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and choose only these :

AppleHDA Rollback

VoodooHDA 0.2.72

Install and reboot...

thanks... i got it working last night from another thread on here...

appreciate all your help...

Followed your instructions and worked perfectly right off the bat! Thanks so much! :)

One question, though - I've been out of the Hackintosh game for a long time (last version I installed manually like this was 10.4.3), so can I install updates such as 10.7.1 when that's released right from Software Update with no worrying? Thanks again!

post-15081-1311531239_thumb.png

Followed your instructions and worked perfectly right off the bat! Thanks so much! ;)

One question, though - I've been out of the Hackintosh game for a long time (last version I installed manually like this was 10.4.3), so can I install updates such as 10.7.1 when that's released right from Software Update with no worrying? Thanks again!

No you cannot because it is on MBR partition that you installed......I'm working for patching the combo updates.......right now on 10.7.2.....I'll post here how to update.....

Hi!

I would like to update from 10.6.8 to Lion.

I need all settings, and applications from Snow Leo.

I burned Lion to DVD, but after restart don't start the installer.

I can't boot from DVD. I need wait for newer bootloader or I need replace some files in snow for good identifications of installer?

Thanks.

Hi!

I would like to update from 10.6.8 to Lion.

I need all settings, and applications from Snow Leo.

I burned Lion to DVD, but after restart don't start the installer.

I can't boot from DVD. I need wait for newer bootloader or I need replace some files in snow for good identifications of installer?

Thanks.

If you want to boot from DVD then:

1)Create an 8 GB partition and format it to HFS+(OSX Extended (journaled)).

2)follow the steps I mentioned above to create it as a Lion Installation media....

3)Open up disk utility and select new image .......choose the Installation media as the folder for dmg.

4)Now insert a blank DVD and in disk utilities select burn and choose the dmg you created from Installation partition

and burn to DVD and boot from it to install.

NOTE:

It is senseless to create a DVD from the steps above because you already can boot from the installation media and install lion by that because Lion is an app unlike the other OS's which used to be available as retail Installation disks.

Hope this helps

HI Aju Deeju.

I was following this thread and i had successfully install retail lion.

But when i try to boot after installation the spinning wheel never ends. It can not boot in to lion.

MY system : Asus p5kpl-cm

Quad core 8200

9500 GT VC

I have 100 gb hd and one partition(40gb) dedicated to snow 10.6.3 and i installed lion on 60gb partition.

ANy help will be greatly appreciate.

Man compared to snow.Lion hackintosh is so hard :thumbsup_anim:

HI Aju Deeju.

I was following this thread and i had successfully install retail lion.

But when i try to boot after installation the spinning wheel never ends. It can not boot in to lion.

MY system : Asus p5kpl-cm

Quad core 8200

9500 GT VC

I have 100 gb hd and one partition(40gb) dedicated to snow 10.6.3 and i installed lion on 60gb partition.

ANy help will be greatly appreciate.

Man compared to snow.Lion hackintosh is so hard :thumbsup_anim:

try verbose boot or safe boot....

try verbose boot or safe boot....

Thanks for quick reply.

i was wondering about safe mode. I know for verbose i need to type -v.But how about for safe mode.Sorry am learning.

I don't have apple keyboard . mine is just regular keyboard

Tried verbose mode 1st and same result.Spinning wheel for ever. then tried safe mode.In safe mode spinning wheel pass and entered to white screen without anything except cursor.

Well....I will recomend a reinstall and this time boot into installer with -v maxmem=2048

finally works.Thanks OP.

Still i have low resolution only 768. and no sound. Tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but while installation kernel panic.So can't even finish installation. I read in forums that nvidia 9500 gt works fine with lion though.

finally works.Thanks OP.

Still i have low resolution only 768. and no sound. Tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but while installation kernel panic.So can't even finish installation. I read in forums that nvidia 9500 gt works fine with lion though.

Install this kext and in /Extra/com.boot.plist add

<key>Graphics Enabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

save it and reboot.....hope it helps

Hello Aju Deeju

I try to follow your guide but it will not let me install into fat32 mbr partition lion said cant install (am i missing a file?)

what i did was format it to journal etc.., and everything working ok except I can not do a dual boot

i have win7 on partion d0s2, and lion d0s5, i have install chameleon like many times but no go, try [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], chimero still no go...

when it boot, i see a message saying b0: done then it goes straight into windows without the boot options

can it boot with 1 ntfs and 1 mac hfs? been trying last 2 days :D

thanks

Thanks for this great and simple Guide! Work well on my Aspire 8930 with minor tweaks and kexts from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]...

Add to boot with "-x" at install too...

Done!!! Enjoy Lion.

Pre-Requisites:

1) DSDT Auto Patcher

2) Chameleon 2 RC5

3) OSX Lion.app

4) A working OSX installation

5) MBR patch by Nawcom

6) An 8 GB USB Partition/hard drive volume

7) Extra Lion DP4 pkg

8) Extra Installation Package

Is there any problem[or strange behaviors] because Lion is installed in MBR instead of GUID/GPU?

Is there any problem[or strange behaviors] because Lion is installed in MBR instead of GUID/GPU?

I've been using Lion installed on a MBR partition for two weeks and no problem so far... :unsure:

I don't have any sound on my new installation. On 10.6.8 I've used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and it works great, but on Lion, if I install it will not boot up

Hi there! i have already a dual boot with SL 10.6.8 and windows 7 and would really love to be able to just update the SL to lion. Correct me if am wrong but of what i have read so far in your guide this should be possible with it, but i am having a little problem after following every step to create the installation media, i boot up the drive all right but on the main screen where u are to choose your language, it shut down my computer after selecting my language. Can you please help me with this? thanks you in advance.

No you cannot because it is on MBR partition that you installed......I'm working for patching the combo updates.......right now on 10.7.2.....I'll post here how to update.....

Currently my Snow Leopard/Windows 7 install is on hybrid GPU/GUID for SL & MBR for WIN7. They are on different HDDs. I built SL on a GPU/GUID HDD which was the only HDD connected to my PC. I then disconnected that SL on HDD. I then connected a second HDD to my PC and installed Win 7 normally [MBR].

I have been able to always perform SL updates using downloads from Apple[some combo updates] I have been able ALSO to perform some updates answering OK to SL's notification.

Are you saying, that if I put Lion on a HDD formated as MBR, I NO LONGER will be able to download Lion updates and use them? That I only can use those Lion 7.x.x updates if LION is on GUID/GPU?

I am confused because so many folks have said there are no problems associated with installing LION on MBR [clean install not SL upgrade to Lion].

Hi, I tried this method to each and every word. However, I am not able to boot from the usbsad.gif.On F12, if I select usb drive to boot from, it gives "No operating system found" error. If I try with my existing leopard installation by pressing F8 at boot up and choosing the usb drive it gives

Loaded HFS+file: [system/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist]

Loading Darwin 10.7

Loading Kernel custom

Can't find custom

Please help

edit:

I don't know why the booting doesn't work when using my 8 gb pen drive. I was able to boot when I created the installation media on my external hard disk. However I am now stuck on "Still waiting for root device" error during installation.