Is it possible to write from OS X onto an NTFS + an EXT3 partition?

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Im triple booting OS X, XP and Ubuntu Linux. I was wondering... It would be quite noce if i could write to my XP-NTFS partition from OS X rather than just read from it. Its nothing crucial or anything, it would simply be nice.

Im pretty sure the situation with Ubuntu's EXT3 partition wont work... OS X doesnt even mount it (although disk util sees it) (XP doesnt see it at all) Am i correct, that EXT3 wont mount no matter how hard i try?

And actually one more thing: again pretty sure it wont work. Any chance of XP recognizing, reading, writing HFS+ of OS X? (And EXT + if possible :D)

To sum it up: please tell me all the possibilities of reading writing my three OS's files in each os. :D

Tnx... I can already guess my options :D

My 5 cents:

1. No, you can't write NTFS nor EXT3 from MacOS.

2. There is a program to read HFS+ from windows, but i never used it, so i dont know its name, just search the forum.

3. I have no idea if there's a way of reading EXT3 from windows :)

haha i see...

well to be honest u wouldnt have needed to say i dont have to buy it. in fact, i wasnt even thinking of buying it, but certainly thinking of using it :sorcerer:

So thank u. Ill give macdrive a shot.

I did update, and all i can say is that its something powerful. It works seamlessly.

Tnx

I actually got into the topic so much that i dwnloaded an app for windows that enables windows to read AND WRITE (can it be better) to EXT2 and 3.

So anyway... ima happy guy...

By the way, i heard a rumor, probably not true, that Leopard will support read AND write on NTFS volumes.

I did update, and all i can say is that its something powerful. It works seamlessly.

Tnx

I actually got into the topic so much that i dwnloaded an app for windows that enables windows to read AND WRITE (can it be better) to EXT2 and 3.

So anyway... ima happy guy...

By the way, i heard a rumor, probably not true, that Leopard will support read AND write on NTFS volumes.

I actually wanted to look into Ext2. I understand it's a Linux format. And i think OSX is able to read/write to it (correct me if I’m wrong) and you're saying with this program, so is Windows. So if you were to create a ext2 partition then both OSs would be able to read/write to it. This would be great for work files.

But then again, by creating a HFS(+ ?) partition and by using Macdrive both OSX and Windows are able to read/write to it too. So I guess it's the same as above. So might as well use this method.

What we really need is for OSX to be able to read/write to NTFS file systems. That would solve all. Does anyone know of a way? Remember NTFS - not FAT!!!

No, OS X doesnt read EXT2 or 3. At least not natively.

Disk utility sees the partitions and says its a Linux partition but it does not recognize the exact file system. Actually it does not give any other info than saying Linux in one breef line...

Probably thre is a third party program that enables it (i didnt check). I assume this because u can install Linux (Ubuntu for PowerPC is available for download) on a real Mac and i bet that mac users dont want to get rid of OS X but rather dual boot. And than it probably was bothering people that they couldnt acces part of their hard drives so they designed apps that solved their problem.

So anyway im pretty sure it is possible to set up os x to read/write ext but not easily.

• 1 year later...

I personally was VERY disappointed that Leopard didn't add this support.

MacDrive is only PC to Mac Drive.. not both ways as of Version 7.10.

I found these articles though:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/...n-mac-os-x.html

and

http://hackszine.com/blog/archive/2007/06/...TC-7G2N43923558

Both Articles mention MacFuse, and the second one mentions Fink.

Unfortunately i have the feeling that by the time Apple Natively adds NTFS Write capability that Microsoft may be using their new file system I have read a little about.

Christopher

• 5 months later...

I know F-s Driver can read write ext3 partitions on windows, just like a normal drive.

It says that it can mount any file system except for FAT and NTFS, which are already covered by windows.

Who knows, it might be even able to read/write your HFS+ Partition.

Mac and NTFS: See http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/NTFS-3G.shtml

It's free, and avilable as a universal binary. I think it's a bit like F-s Driver but on mac but for NTFS.

I know the mac can automount linux partitions on startup, but it's only read-only.

Simply Go to "Utilities" and open the "Terminal.app" , and type in : "sudo pico /etc/rc.common"Go down to the bottom of the file, and type in a new line the command: "mkdir /Volumes/Linux && mount_ext2 -o rdonly -x /dev/disk0s4 /Volumes/Linux"

where "/dev/disk0s4" - Its your linux partition and "/Volumes/Linux" - Its your mount location

save the file by pressing "CTRL+X" and type "Y" and press "ENTER"and reboot.

Try replacing mkdir /Volumes/Linux && mount_ext2 -o rdonly -x /dev/disk0s4 /Volumes/Linuxwith mkdir /Volumes/Linux && mount_ext2 -o rw-x /dev/disk0s4 /Volumes/Linux

The second one *might* get you reading and writing to your Linux Partition.

Ubuntu now has NTFS read and write support, so windows is no issue here.

HFS+ and Ubuntu:

This was posted at the Ubuntu forums-

Type this in terminal:

Code:gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

Then put this into another terminal:

Code:sudo fdisk -l

You'll see a list of partitions on your hard disk(s). The lines start with a device file name, which will look something like this: /dev/hda4. Find the line that has "HFS" in the middle column, and check that it's the correct partition by looking at the partition size column.

Then add this line to the text file, replacing "/dev/hda4" with the device file name corresponding to your partition:

Code:/dev/hda4 /mnt/macosx hfsplus rw,user,auto 0 0

Save your changes and quit Gedit.

In a terminal, type this:

Code:sudo mkdir /mnt/macosx

Now reboot or execute the command "sudo mount -a", and your Mac OS X partition will mount.

Hope this Helps!

• 4 weeks later...