SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

@rcork,

The 32 bit offsets how can I view that in assembly? What section can I find it in the machoview?

I asked oldnapalm in one of my posts up.

The Bios flash is the best alternative but its not available for all motherboards and not one laptop. I have the Asus G74SX gamers laptop.

Thanks

@rcork, The 32 bit offsets how can I view that in assembly? What section can I find it in the machoview? I asked oldnapalm in one of my posts up. The Bios flash is the best alternative but its not available for all motherboards and not one laptop. I have the Asus G74SX gamers laptop. Thanks

In Machoview the 32 bit binary is under Object(X86)/Section(__TEXT,__text). However, it does not show the assembly code, just the pure binary. The easiest way to see the assembly is to extract with otool (otool -vt -arch i386 AICPM/Contents/MacOS/AICPM > i386.asm) and then search the code with a text editor. Once you find the addresses, go back to Machoview and click on RVA and find the corresponding addresses.

I can confirm that the modified bios did allow me to load the vanilla kext without any patches. However, the bios from the repository is a newer version and there were significant changes by ASUS for that version so i need to modify my DSDT to reflect the new bios. Until then, i'm only getting 2 p-states.

@rcork,

Thanks. I think its great that we can just flash a modified bios but what concerns me is what if I want to run windows 7 or linux natively how will it run with the modified Bios? If it could be a problem I rather stick to either patching with the newest perl script then verify it against one I either manually did or from someone else's.

Its sounds like a great thing to do it the Bios way but how long does it take to patch the AICPUPM now that you guys have figured it all out.

Use ICPUM .kext from 10.7.3 first... try it

Actually I got it working with the 10.8 ICPUM .kext. All I needed to use was the patched ICPUM.kext posted earlier in this topic and the

iMac12_2.plist from the topic about my motherboard -

www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=270390 . I only get the Min (16) and Max (45) speeds but that's all I got in 10.7.3.

I get a little over 15k in geekbench which is about 600 more than I got in 10.7.3. I'm pretty happy.

In Machoview the 32 bit binary is under Object(X86)/Section(__TEXT,__text). However, it does not show the assembly code, just the pure binary. The easiest way to see the assembly is to extract with otool (otool -vt -arch i386 AICPM/Contents/MacOS/AICPM > i386.asm) and then search the code with a text editor. Once you find the addresses, go back to Machoview and click on RVA and find the corresponding addresses.

I can confirm that the modified bios did allow me to load the vanilla kext without any patches. However, the bios from the repository is a newer version and there were significant changes by ASUS for that version so i need to modify my DSDT to reflect the new bios. Until then, i'm only getting 2 p-states.

That worked fine but is there any switch other than -vt I can use to show the data column 0F30 90 etc. I tried the data option did not seem to work

Thanks

Anyone had success with SpeedStep? The four cores of my processor are known with this patch, but the value obtained in SpeedStep is only the lowest 16, my GeekBench in Mountain Lion is 4800, in Lion is 9900...

What do you mean by "the value obtained in Speedstep..."? Are you using MSRDumper? This patch just stops the kernel panics. It still relies on your system to have the proper DSDT to enable P-states. Are you using a DSDT and/or SSDT? If so, can you post it.

What do you mean by "the value obtained in Speedstep..."? Are you using MSRDumper? This patch just stops the kernel panics. It still relies on your system to have the proper DSDT to enable P-states. Are you using a DSDT and/or SSDT? If so, can you post it.

Yes, I'm using MSRDumper, with DSDT / SSDT and the data from iMac 12.2 plist copied to the MacPro 3.1 plist... this is the same setup that I use in Lion where I get the steps 16/20/22/26/30/33/34/35/36 and sometimes 37... but in Mountai Lion I can't get these values... Mountain Lion reaches only the first step that is 16...

That's interesting. Maybe they changed the stepper program in ML. I don't have an instance of ML running on my hack (just an VM) but i'll see if i can get a copy installed and check what p-states i get.

Any particular reason for why you're running as MacPro3,1 and not iMac12,2. I use iMac12,2 and it works great.

That's interesting. Maybe they changed the stepper program in ML. I don't have an instance of ML running on my hack (just an VM) but i'll see if i can get a copy installed and check what p-states i get.

Any particular reason for why you're running as MacPro3,1 and not iMac12,2. I use iMac12,2 and it works great.

No... no particular reason... just cosmetic because I'm not using a Notebook... as I said I took the data from an iMac 12.2 plist and copied to the MacPro 3.1 plist... it works 100% in Lion... but not in Mountain Lion... I'm feeling this a little bit strange because I can't see nobody here saying that the SpeedStep is not working on Mountain Lion...

You don't need a notebook to use iMac profile. I'm not sure it's purely cosmetic. There are certain programs that have different functionality based on what system profile is used (iStat Menus is one of them). I'm not sure that other things work differently based on system profile. Can you change your smbios to use iMac12,2 and see if you get different results?

You don't need a notebook to use iMac profile. I'm not sure it's purely cosmetic. There are certain programs that have different functionality based on what system profile is used (iStat Menus is one of them). I'm not sure that other things work differently based on system profile. Can you change your smbios to use iMac12,2 and see if you get different results?

Well, I can try this... later at home... I'm on my job now... let´s see if it works... oh, I forgot to say tha in Lion, I do't need to patch the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to have SpeedStep... and I don't need the NullCpu too... it works 100% without any patch or extra kext... but in Mountain Lion even patching the AppleIntelCPU I can´t get the p-states

Well, I can try this... later at home... I'm on my job now... let´s see if it works... oh, I forgot to say tha in Lion, I do't need to patch the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to have SpeedStep... and I don't need the NullCpu too... it works 100% without any patch or extra kext... but in Mountain Lion even patching the AppleIntelCPU I can´t get the p-states

Well if you don't need to patch AICPM in Lion, you shouldn't need to in ML. The patch doesn't enable speedstep, it just prevents a kernel panic on ASUS boards that have MSR 0xE2 locked as read only. If you can boot Lion with patching, then you don't have a readonly MSR and you don't need to run the speedstepper patch.

Well if you don't need to patch AICPM in Lion, you shouldn't need to in ML. The patch doesn't enable speedstep, it just prevents a kernel panic on ASUS boards that have MSR 0xE2 locked as read only. If you can boot Lion with patching, then you don't have a readonly MSR and you don't need to run the speedstepper patch.

But if I don´t patch the AICPM in ML I get errors on boot... something like Processor error Step 2... something like that...

Again, this patch is only supposed to prevent kernel panics and only on ASUS boards. Looks like you're running a Gigabyte board. I think the error you are seeing is not related to what this patch is supposed to fix. I would try restoring the original kext and changing your smbios to use iMac12,2 and see if you still get the error. If you want to PM me with your DSDT/SSDT i'd be happy to take a look. I used to run a Gigabyte hack and it may just be that you're missing key pieces of the PR scope in your DSDT.

Again, this patch is only supposed to prevent kernel panics and only on ASUS boards. Looks like you're running a Gigabyte board. I think the error you are seeing is not related to what this patch is supposed to fix. I would try restoring the original kext and changing your smbios to use iMac12,2 and see if you still get the error. If you want to PM me with your DSDT/SSDT i'd be happy to take a look. I used to run a Gigabyte hack and it may just be that you're missing key pieces of the PR scope in your DSDT.

Ok, rcork!!! Thank you!

Later, at home, I will try to do what you are saying... if it not works I send to you my DSDT/SSDT... thanks for all your help!!!

I took a patched AICPM and a iMac12.2 plist and got 5 p-states, the 16(first) and 34/35/36/37 (turbo ratios) different from Lion where I have 9 p-states, my Geekbench went up to 9800/9900. But I saw that I have errors in IOUSBDevice (attached image) and sometimes when I restart, the sistem begins to restarts and just before the Chameleon screen it restarts itself again and then start normally. I'm sending you my DSDT and SSDT, if you can take a look ...

If I do not use a patched AICPM I do not have the p-states and my USB keyboard and mouse do not work ...

The other image is attached on my CPU ... I think it's alright, right?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/24022012461.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/cpuyi.jpg/

DSDT and SSDT - http://d.pr/CY8Q

@prcmelo, your DSDT and SSDT look fine. Not sure what you mean when you say "

I took a patched AICPM and a iMac12.2 plist...". Did you try using an unmodified AICPM and setting SMProductname=iMac12,2 in your smbios?

@androdev, if you have xcode installed you should have otool. It should be in /usr/bin

This speed stepper works fine on Evga x58 classified.

I tested on Lion with bios 83 which is the latest.

Thank you .

Lot of evga x58 users are using old bios which was out in 2009. because that's the only bios without kernel panic.

Okay, Does anyone know how to edit the Bios properly to keep speedstepping. Because if i go in, and change anything with my ram, depending what is changed, i lose speedstepping. And other times i lose turbo. It sucks! And i can't figure it out. Like X.M.P. makes me lose speedstepping, but if i change one of the options back to auto (something to do about cores), speed stepping works, but turbo doesn't work. Like what the hell.

@prcmelo, your DSDT and SSDT look fine. Not sure what you mean when you say "

I took a patched AICPM and a iMac12.2 plist...". Did you try using an unmodified AICPM and setting SMProductname=iMac12,2 in your smbios?

Thanks for checking my SSDT and DSDT. With an unmodified AICPM and SMProductname = iMac12, 2 in my SMBIOS, I have only the p-states 16 and 34 and my USB ports do not work and I have IOUSBDevice errors, ( attached images in my last post ), when I start the system, ( this error appears even with a patched AICPM ) . This iMac12.2 plist I spoke, (which I think contains the StepDataDict from MacBook 8.3), it's inside the Plugins folder of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext ... I don't know what else to try ...

Okay, Does anyone know how to edit the Bios properly to keep speedstepping. Because if i go in, and change anything with my ram, depending what is changed, i lose speedstepping. And other times i lose turbo. It sucks! And i can't figure it out. Like X.M.P. makes me lose speedstepping, but if i change one of the options back to auto (something to do about cores), speed stepping works, but turbo doesn't work. Like what the hell.

There's a bug in the ASUS bios where if you manually set the turbo states, it causes you to lose a couple p-states (usually the ones between 16 and 34). When set to auto you should get them. I also did notice that when i set my system to XMP, it messed a lot of things up (lost p-states, random KP). What i did was to not use XMP and set my RAM to the settings i wanted manually (DDR3-1600, 9-9-9-24, etc).

Thanks for checking my SSDT and DSDT. With an unmodified AICPM and SMProductname = iMac12, 2 in my SMBIOS, I have only the p-states 16 and 34 and my USB ports do not work and I have IOUSBDevice errors, ( attached images in my last post ), when I start the system, ( this error appears even with a patched AICPM ) . This iMac12.2 plist I spoke, (which I think contains the StepDataDict from MacBook 8.3), it's inside the Plugins folder of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext ... I don't know what else to try ...

I'm at a loss too. Since you say it worked properly under Lion maybe they changed something else in the code. We may just have to wait until ML gets close to final release and people smarter than us figure it out.