Asrock 775Dual VSTA

m.muller

165 posts in this topic

Be cautious with that script. It will update the kernel on the MacOS-Partition that the System is currently running from. But you can read the script with text-editor and take the download location from there. Then you can download the kernel manually and update it manually on your new partition. (via Terminal because the kernel file is invisible. Or you use the Programm Onyx which can make all files visible).

Hello, I have 10.4.8 Jas DVD, and all is working (ethernet, nvidia6200, sound,....) but my problem is HD speed..very slow. I have changed the AppleVIAATA, as said m.muller, but my hd speed is very slow. My configuration is:

Two hard disk on one ide channel

DVDwriter and CD on the other channel.

OS X is installed on a partition of the hd put as slave.

Anyone can help me?

I'm considering put the hd where os x is installed as master on the second ide channel, but I don't wish mess my winXP install (drive's letters changed), and I don't know if such thing can occur. Thanks

Hi,

switching the HDs on the cable will not affect speed. (IMHO)

If the "MacHD" doesn't have any Windows-readable partitions, you can switch the HDs on the cable without any effect for Windows (but it still will not have any point IMHO)

Did you repair the permissions for the AppleVIAATA.kext?

Go to terminal:

1. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

1. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

Is the kext loaded properly?

How old is that Harddisk that you use?

Hello, I have 10.4.8 Jas DVD, and all is working (ethernet, nvidia6200, sound,....) but my problem is HD speed..very slow. I have changed the AppleVIAATA, as said m.muller, but my hd speed is very slow. My configuration is:

Two hard disk on one ide channel

DVDwriter and CD on the other channel.

OS X is installed on a partition of the hd put as slave.

Anyone can help me?

I'm considering put the hd where os x is installed as master on the second ide channel, but I don't wish mess my winXP install (drive's letters changed), and I don't know if such thing can occur. Thanks

Well ATA perf are poor with this board and there is no magic here !

What is your xbench result ??

The solution is to move to SATA disk.

Mathias

My results are:

Results 26.34

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type HDS722512VLAT20

Disk Test 26.34

Sequential 24.55

Uncached Write 22.98 14.11 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 21.92 12.40 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 30.80 9.01 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 24.19 12.16 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 28.40

Uncached Write 11.93 1.26 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 38.23 12.24 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 83.50 0.59 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 52.92 9.82 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Strange, because I run Xbench this morning and the results in random where low (about 7 mb/s and 14 mb/s the best result). The only thing I do betwen this morning and now was restart the computer to check the bios option, and I haven't changed anything in the bios or in the system.

Do you think my results now are "good" for PATA? Thanks

Good many thanks i'll try this tonight.

Mathias crossing finger and praying for a miracle :angel:

Well crossing finge do not help.

It do not work, i've got a kernel panic on boot.

I do not known what i've done wrong.

I've installed 10.4.7 jas dvd with every unchecked except macosx core.

I've copied Apple 10.4.8 combo update to newly installed partition using pacifist.

I've copied semthex kernel, and the two Extension you point to me.

I've repaired perm and remove ext cache

Boot with -v -x option but each time i've got kernel panic.

Any Clue ??

I've read on semthex site that to boot in graphic mode you need some "keys". What does it means ??

Thanks for your help.

Mathias

{censored},

I'd already feared that something like this has happened. You seemed to be missing in action :idea:

Have you installed the pinxue Rhine driver? Or deactivated the onboard LAN? If not, do so. (Pick either one you like)

Remove the .kextcache and .mkext files. [i just see, that you did already, but check back wether the cache has already been rebuilt]

Try to boot to single-user mode (-v -s), and then go to graphic mode (just type 'exit')...

Have you installed the pinxue Rhine driver? Or deactivated the onboard LAN? If not, do so. (Pick either one you like)

:idea:

Touché :-)

It look like that i forget to install pixue driver. I'am stupid because you expressly tell me to do so !

I thing its the hit because kernel panic came just after some log about ipv6 and network stuff.

I test that tonight.

Again thanks.

Mathias

Ps : i still have my sata osx part ok so i'am not in trouble. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Matthias,

i'm very sorry. Something must be missing in my description for the clean 10.4.8 install.

I had to reinstall and i can't get it to work. Absolutely no chance.

Tried ten times or so. With some different variations in the process of installing all the

needed items.

vmware boots just fine (installed native as well). native running of the installed 10.4.8 is impossible.

It tells something about loginwindow.app (as if it was just normally loading) and then gives me the kernel panic...

I had to reinstall and i can't get it to work. Absolutely no chance.

Bad news, i really sorry to hear that.

I look like you go farer than me since i run kernel panic before the login.app launch.

I hope for you (and a bit for us too) that you will found the missing step quickly !!

Good luck

Best regards

Mathias

Hi All

I am trying to get any version of osx86 to install on this board with a E6300 and it gets to the rotating icon but then comes up with the no boot circle with a cross symbol.

I shut down all the cpu functions in the bios and turned off the Lan, Audio, and USB just trying to get it to the Install/Disk Utility screen.

The setup is the 775Dualvsta board w/ the 2.10 bios, 512mb DDR Memory, E6300 Core2duo, and a Western Digital 40gb HD on Primary IDE channel and a Pioneer 110 DVD on the Secondary.

Any help in getting this to work would be great,

thank you

Ashley :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thestevo

Sorry about the wait and such holidays and family.

First thanks for responding!! And Happy and Prosperous and Healthy New Year to you and your Family!!

Well I am trying to get the 10.4.8 seed running a different way.

I am sure the 10.4.8 semthex that I am using is the second one because the others I had would not even load to be able to Install them.

I have the Jas 10.4.7 installed right now and my numbers on speed bench are sort of ugly. 27 overall. My disc and video for the AGP Radeon 9600 Pro are the reasons I think.

My question now is since I do have 10.4.7 JAS is there a way to upgrade to the 10.4.8 from the native 10.4.7 without doing it with the dvd that is better?

But the problem I keep having with the Semthex upgrade is that it installs everything boots to the initial rotary grey screen and then I get the Power button restart. I have tried to get into it with -v and otherwise but "no Joy".

I have shut down everything besides the legacy OS flag and it doesnt seem to really make much of a difference.

I am happy that it installs and at least gets to the rotating loading screen before it goes all Wiggins. That makes me think that it is some driver or Bios setting maybe I am missing on the board.

I am thankful for all the help,

Ashley :idea:

Are you working with the Reseed from JaS? The first (private) seed will not work.

So, if I understand this correctly, you are saying that it will boot once after the install but not again after that? If that is so, the kernel flag -f will help ya.

Stephen

Marta,

I had OS X installed on SATA once, but it would not boot without the DVD in the drive. I had to install to the PATA and then clone, but I couldn't get the boot right. Rammjet left me some information on his ideas of how to fix the problems I was still having, but I instead decided to wait for the new DVD. This DVD was released three days ago and I just about have it downloaded. With this I hope to make a clean install direct to the SATA drive, otherwise I will follow out the rest of Rammjet's suggestions and make a reply on my results.

My xbench score hovers around 82 with the PATA.

I see that you used my patch. Did it work fine for you? I had one person say that the audio didn't work. I don't know if thats an isolated problem or if it's something I need to fix. All I know is that it worked fine for me when I used it, so if there is a problem that needs fixing I need to be told.

Stephen

I've finally managed to not mess-up with the ATI-drivers (x1650 is a pain-in-the-ass).

But there is one problem new problem. The system will only boot if i press F8 on each boot and start with "-f".

As far as i know -f is used to force a rebuild of the kextcache, but even if i delete the kextcache files before shutting down, MacOS won't start without the kernel flag given manually on boot.

I have added "f" under the point "kernel flags" in the boot plist, but that won't work either...

I've finally managed to not mess-up with the ATI-drivers (x1650 is a pain-in-the-ass).

But there is one problem new problem. The system will only boot if i press F8 on each boot and start with "-f".

As far as i know -f is used to force a rebuild of the kextcache, but even if i delete the kextcache files before shutting down, MacOS won't start without the kernel flag given manually on boot.

I have added "f" under the point "kernel flags" in the boot plist, but that won't work either...

Hi marcian,

Happy to hear from you.

I've also made some test with jas 10.4.8 SSE3 only reseed and semthex kernel beta 8 but stuttering with both core enabled is still there.

And i have the same problem then you. But since i was not aware about -f option i was only able to boot with -x then to delete ext caches. After i can reboot but second reboot f ailed with waiting for root device. Even on my PATA drive.

Have you tried to put -f in boot.plist ? Because i think short switch have to keep their minus -v.

Good luck

Mathias

Hi matthias,

sorry to hear you still have problems. I'm not even aware wether i have stuttering problems, coz i haven't got that far in my testing until now.

I'm at the moment using the latest JaS-AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3-DVD.

I tried both versions in the boot-plist. Neither one works. It's really strange.

If i boot in verbose mode, the textmode-screen looks different than usually. It starts to make me crazy...