Silicon Image release Universal SATA drivers

jester1o1

116 posts in this topic

Does the sli3132 chipset support multiple RAID sets? I've seen a few cards that have both internal and external SATA ports...it'd be great to setup a couple drives in RAID internally and then a separate port-multiplied RAID enclosure outside...anyone know if this is possible?

I think so, because if I open up the utility ftom SIL StorageManagementUtility 12.0.0, there is a menu call RAID Group. I could create a Raid group, but I don't need one :-)

ArrayManager.tiff

yeeeees.....I did IT !!! :D installed the dawicontrol 300 e with the sil3132 chip on it.first installed the new raid driver on my tiger 10.4.11 partition and did a backup with true image.

initialized the raid0 in the dawicontrol bios and copied the tiger disk.

now I´m booting from a really fast raid0 !!!

only issue: didn´t find a way to clone my leo guid partition bootable to the raid disks.tried it with copycatx, superduper and carboncopy without any luck. acronis unfortunately doesn´support it (although it´s written in the manual that it should).

What's the easiest way to flash the bios on a 3132-based card?

Simply boot XP and open the device manager, right click on the controller und look out for firmware/bios. I do not know the exact menue entry and path to it, but I think you'll find it. Windows drivers have to be installed before.

It is possible to flash the controller live from runing WXP.

Simply boot XP and open the device manager, right click on the controller und look out for firmware/bios. I do not know the exact menue entry and path to it, but I think you'll find it. Windows drivers have to be installed before.

It is possible to flash the controller live from runing WXP.

Hmm, we need to make a non-Windows way to flash the BIOS. Let me see what I can come up with...

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man ....

The computer refuses to boot when the card is in the PCI-slot.

I can't boot from CD or anything.

Once I managed to boot from CD included with the card but the Flash process failed.

I'm not really experienced with this kind of stuff ... is my card wasted?

The card cost less than 30 USD incl. shipping so it's not really expensive but I really need it (or another card) ...

Please help.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I got my Speed Dragon Sil-3132 SATA2 Raid Controller workning. I have actually had this card laying around since this thread was started. But at first I had definetly no luck at all.

This is what I did. Starting ~2 month ago. I installed my card and to my suprise this was a RAID only card, and the only way I was able to use this card was if I erased all data on my disks and created a JBOD (1 disk) or some raid configuration (1> disk). :P I didn't want that so I thought I maby could flash this card to a BASE card (Not RAID). However, SiliconImage didn't have any Bios at all on there site, so a googled. Found a IDE bios (Base) 7.3.0 for SiL-3132. :D

Flashing the card was a pice of cake, and at the boot promt my new SiL-3132 card booted just fine. The problem was only that I couldn't find any drivers for Windows nor Osx that was compatible whit my new card. :blink: And then I put this card in a box under my bed until today. :P

After reading Tomtefar's thread about how he got his card up and running (Thx Tomtefar ;)), I got inspiert to try modding the Device IDs and see if that could help. In windows i used the device manager to get the device id of my card, but to my big suprise it was no longer a SiL-3132, it was a SiL-3124 :blink:. I then simply installed Windows SiL-3124 drivers, and it worked (Almost). It worked and I could acces my disk until I rebooted :(. But now when I discovered that the new bios I had flashed my card with actually was for SiL-3132 I again tried to found a other, this time hopfully a real SiL-3132, bios.

Now I found a package including both a RAID and IDE bios, version 7.2.23, reflahed with this file and Success! :shock: Windows recognized a SiL-3132 SATA controller, NON-RAID! :D

Now I have installed the SiL-3132 package for OSX and it works like a charm, no modding needed. :thumbsup_anim:

-------------------------------------------------

So what you guys have to do to convert your Sil-3132 Pci-e RAID card to a workning NON-RAID card is:

1. Simply download the attached Bios package, and reflash with b7223.bin, instructions included.

2. Download drivers from http://www.siliconimage.com/ and install.

3. :yoji:

Hope this can help somone :D

Hi

I found your post on the PCI-E card. You gave me great hope! I bought a PCI-E card from an online retailer with the sil3132 chipset. I followed your method using windows xp to flash the bios of the card to b7223. I downloaded Mac drivers from the siliconimage website and installed them. I actually wasn't too sure which one to choose. I chose the newest one which is: SiI3132_1.1.9u_Sil_Pkg.zip Having done all this, my drive isn't being recognized by the Mac OS. I'm running in AHCI mode on a Gigabyte GA-P35-ds3l Q6600 4gb ram. Everything is working on my machine with the exception of this newest thing.

Can you offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Pandar

Great that it works ;) ooZberg. My point from the other thread was that it does not really matter if you have a RAID or BASE (IDE, SATA Link etc.) BIOS. If you have the RAID BIOS just define "concatenation" sets for each disk in the RAID BIOS and set your PCIFamilyMatch to what I mentioned in that thread (that one means SCSI-RAID-controller). Ahh well... as long as it works. :rolleyes:

Hi

I am in need of some help. I purchased a pcie card with the sil3132 chipset. I flashed the cards bios to the "non raid" version as Oozberg said. It's not working for me. I just came across your post. i haven't been able to find the other thread you mentioned where you said you explained this. Would you care to help?

Thanks

Pandar

• 8 months later...

Thank's Nuphor!

Your idea was best! My PCI card Silicon 3112a is WORKING NOW!

Open up /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

5) Scroll down to the "<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>" section

6) Change:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x528810B9.....</string>

to include at the end

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x528810B9.....0x31121095</string>

Repair permissions using disk utility, reboot and enjoy.

But i can flash (set firmware vers.) BIOS on PCI Silicon 3112a card!!! XP write bios version is "unknown". What do now? Any ideas? I can't shoose furmware on  firmware shoose panel (((

Sorry for my bad eng!)))

• 1 month later...
With the release of the Mac Pro Silicon Image have released unibin drivers for their PCI-express sata controller (the 3132). With the 3132 being the PCI-E version of the 3112 I reckon its very likely this driver will run a 3112 with a simple plist edit! Anyone willing to give it a try? (I don't have an Si Controller).

3135 page: http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=32

Drivers: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index....&cid=3& <-- not sure whether I can attach them here...

More importantly - someone want to try these with an nForce?? :(

Hello,

this topic seems quite old, but I'll try a message as I don't know where I can send it.

I run Tiger on an old PPC machine (seems normal, and you will ask why I send this message here, but yuou will understand quickly). I put a PCI to SATA card, build on a sil 3114 chipset. I thought It was compatible (as the vendor said, grrr), but it isn't. When I made some researchs on the net, I found insanelymac where the 3114 chip was successfully used. A hackingtosh seems to use a "AppleViaata.kext" moified to include the ID of the car, but there is not any appaleviaata kext in PPC. Do you have an idea about this for me?

It would be great if you had a suggestion for me...

Laplante

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Who can tell me about RAID on sil3132 (2ports)?

I need RAID 1 or 0 funcionality.

Does sil3132 work in RAID-mode (1 or 0) for 2 hdd, or it works only like SATA-controller and give two hard drives independent each of other?

And what about SIL3114 (4 ports)?

Did it works in os-x like RAID 0/1?

• 1 month later...
anyone know if this is possible?

yes it is - i have one 2hd raid0 & another 3hd raid5 running externally from a 4 drive enclosure via a single cable hookup to a sii3132 express card. the box has two 1.5Tb & one 1Tb seagate drives in it, with one slot empty.

but now i'm trying to revive this thread as the express card got fried & the new one doesn't let me update the bios to the raid5 capable version. in the win word i have no bios-tab on the options under win32, the sii/win utility downloadable from sii doesn't work at all, and the dos one they have gives me an error message without updating the bios.

is there an osx utility that could help me? or another workaround.

• 11 months later...