Highschool

17 posts in this topic

I decided to start this topic because of an argument i had with one of my friends. Both of us took pre-calc this year and are a year ahead. He ended up with a B in math most of the quarters and I ended up with C+'s. We both go to differnt schools so I was looking at the tests he had taken. Mine apparently were a lot harder because these were multiple choice questions i saw on his exams. Anyone else find similiar situations?

I decided to start this topic because of an argument i had with one of my friends. Both of us took pre-calc this year and are a year ahead. He ended up with a B in math most of the quarters and I ended up with C+'s. We both go to differnt schools so I was looking at the tests he had taken. Mine apparently were a lot harder because these were multiple choice questions i saw on his exams. Anyone else find similiar situations?

If you think high school is hard... wait tilll upper division college

But yes, I believe there are some variances from school to school or teacher to teacher which can result in social inflation. Just know that when the time comes... you'll be better off having experienced the more rigorous professors.

i totally agree with you, my friend had an apus teacher gave every A's and didnt teach, had the students do textbook work and then present to the rest of the class, obviously the technique failed everyone got a's and bombed teh AP US exam, but i got C's for half the year then a B and an A

and got a 4 on my ap exam so overal it pays off i agree.

My highschool is way harder than public school (i went to public school b4 i went here so dont give me that {censored}) the graiding scale is f***ed up, and its collage prep, the only reasion im going there is because it will look good on collage transcripts.... :-p the school blows tho, time to go tagging!!!!!!!! three more weeks until school starts....

max

As a student and an educator, I will say there is a huge difference between schools. Teaching and observing in impoverished areas has shown me how far the curriculum must be lowered to help students succeed. While most private schools tend to be more difficult, not all are. Comparing the GPA of a student in a public Detroit school to the GPA of a student in a private college prep institution is pretty futile.

In high school you are big fish in a small pond. Out there in the fiercely competitive university world, you are a small fish in a big pond.

By the way, as a teacher it annoys me that you used the wrong "then/than" in your title. I know it's sad. =)

• 4 weeks later...

I would say my high school is easy, but hard to attend. I go to a all black(not trying to be racist if you find that racist) school. It is a technology school call School of Technology i am the only non black kid in thier. After viewing my friends homework which he goes to a mixed school i would say his school is ahead of us. One of my teachers even talked about that the school is easier than other schools because of the area. I mean i have gotten jumped their i have seen so many fights. I've been in so many fights, the only way i could hide that i am a nerd and not get jumped every day was to join a gang. I had to get jumped to join but after that i practically was cool with everybody.

I think depending where you live it would be hard and how you had lived before will affect the way you feel it is hard. For a white male going to a good school all his life will find things less harder. but if that white male went to a bad neighborhood he would find everything harder. IMO

I'm going to say my school is a waste of time. It is so insanely easy.

I slept through my Bio class and did almost no homework. The homework I did turn in was done 5 minutes before I was suppose to hand it in.

Due to how incredibly easy Hartland High School is I still got an 'A' on my final exam.

I would say my high school is easy, but hard to attend. I go to a all black(not trying to be racist if you find that racist) school. It is a technology school call School of Technology i am the only non black kid in thier. After viewing my friends homework which he goes to a mixed school i would say his school is ahead of us. One of my teachers even talked about that the school is easier than other schools because of the area. I mean i have gotten jumped their i have seen so many fights. I've been in so many fights, the only way i could hide that i am a nerd and not get jumped every day was to join a gang. I had to get jumped to join but after that i practically was cool with everybody.

I think depending where you live it would be hard and how you had lived before will affect the way you feel it is hard. For a white male going to a good school all his life will find things less harder. but if that white male went to a bad neighborhood he would find everything harder. IMO

exactly, and going into the private highschool i attend was crazy, because there are two african-american students that graduate each year, no more, no less... its crazy!

max

my high school is the greatest.

its a private (small prep school). The work is easy to more difficult - depending on advanced, or even AP classes. My IQ is 160 last timei tested so no need to explain the work is rather easy for me.

Huge 68 acre campus. average of 3 frees a day if ur a freshman. Juniors/seniors can leave wenever if theydnt hav classes - average of like 5 frees a day - ive seen seniors who hav like 2 classes. Theres 250 kids in the entire high school.

Best part is - you MUST have a laptop. Every class requires a laptop. It's awesome. I do a lot of my hackintosh sh*t at school. I put it on all my friends' laptops :). anyways - my high school's awesome.

My highschool was a waste of time, everything i actually learned during those years I learned outside of school, absolutely a waste of time...

That is what my school feels like. I don't want to sound like a loser, but I hope the higher up classes get harder... I doubt they will tho.

Comparing the GPA of a student in a public Detroit school to the GPA of a student in a private college prep institution is pretty futile.

I kinda find GPAs to be completely pointless... even inside the same school. I know people at my school that will take easy classes just so they can keep their 4.0... while other harder working people will work their butt's off in 5 A.P. classes and get stuck with a high 3.

This bugs me because people who took an easy route will get alot of scholarship money thats not open to the kids that took many much harder A.P. classes.

That is what my school feels like. I don't want to sound like a loser, but I hope the higher up classes get harder... I doubt they will tho.

I kinda find GPAs to be completely pointless... even inside the same school. I know people at my school that will take easy classes just so they can keep their 4.0... while other harder working people will work their butt's off in 5 A.P. classes and get stuck with a high 3.

This bugs me because people who took an easy route will get alot of scholarship money thats not open to the kids that took many much harder A.P. classes.

exactly

max

Ok... Today I had my first day of A.P. Bio...

The first thing that happened was the teacher said we had 135 real learning days until the State A.P. test. She then said that we would never waste one day... we'll always be working.

Right after we played the name game and then we could socialize for the rest of the hour.

Wow. My school system really sucks.

I'm sure that this class will get hard, but I don't think I will really get to learn anywhere near enough to do good on the A.P. test... My school system just fails... at teaching.

Well...not like I'm bragging, because I actually dont care, but I go to the #1 school in my state- appointed by one of the educational boards (I forget which one, honestly) . Anyway, yes, that makes our school a lot harder because they try to live up to their name, and keep their high status. But even before that, our school district had the rep of having some of the best public schools there are, and for that, our curiculum was much more difficult than others. I know this because I have other friends who dont even live around here, and say like "o wow, your taking blah blah, thats a senior course in our school." Its pretty stupid, everyone is so competitive here. Almost all my friends are in mostly, or all honors or AP courses. But then again, I'm in a couple myself.