Samsung R Series Notebooks

derekreid

327 posts in this topic

EDIT: On Lion now, see post #321 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235055&view=findpost&p=1822504

I haven't seen any discussion for these machines, so here goes. The hardware for the R480 is nearly identical to that of the R580 (and I assume the rest of the series), hopefully we can all work together.

I have my R480 running 10.6.4 pretty much flawlessly, all but sleep (which I would really like).

My Hardware Compatibility List entry:

Core i3 2.13 GHz
4 Gigs RAM

Install method: Using retail DVD image from other leopard partition using Pacifist. Have to set AHCI to Manual and Enable in BIOS.

GUID/MBR hybrid, 5 partitions: Chameleon, Snow, Windows 7, Snow Backup, Data

Audio: Realtek ALC269-GR - Working with VoodooHDA
Video: nVidia GeForce 310M [10de:0a75] - Working with NVEnabler64
Ethernet: Marvell [11ab:4381] - Haven't tested
Wireless: Atheros AR9285 [168c:002b] - Works with modified kext
Bluetooth: Works OOB
Trackpad: Synaptics - Working with VoodooPS2Controller. Scroll coasting/inertia with Smart Scroll application.
Webcam: Works OOB

Sleep: NOT WORKING. Tried various SleepEnabler versions and settings without luck. Let me know if you have any ideas (might attempt to tackle modifying DSDT).

Got my kexts, etc from package here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.3/Portables#R530

Anyone been able to get sleep working?

The [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method seems to be pretty popular, I'd google that (doubt we're allowed to link to other forums/sites).

derek,

would you please add some sample .kext to this thread to show how you got the atheros wireless working?smile.gif

i am running 10.5.8 on an r510, i do not know the model number of the atheros card, for some reason this info is hard to find out, all i can make out is i think ar58xb63.

everything works on my machine apart from:

wireless :)

fans (they're spinning but it gets pretty hot at times)

brightness&sleep (don't care about these two)

derek,

would you please add some sample .kext to this thread to show how you got the atheros wireless working?smile.gif

i am running 10.5.8 on an r510, i do not know the model number of the atheros card, for some reason this info is hard to find out, all i can make out is i think ar58xb63.

everything works on my machine apart from:

wireless :)

fans (they're spinning but it gets pretty hot at times)

brightness&sleep (don't care about these two)

Apparently the IO80211Family kext from the 10.6.5 update supports this card (got it from the R580 entry in the Hardware Compatibility List here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph.../Portables#R530)

This probably won't work with your 10.5.8 install, I would suggest upgrading to Snow Leopard.

i have samsung r730. same problem sleep no work. then i press power button notebook go to sleep and wake after a second but no full wake (keys ,trackbar ,display) not wake.

i found half of problem. then i disable EHCI2(webcam in this hub) in DSDT. I got sleep. it`s sleep. no auto wake.

but if i press power button i have the same no full wake (keys ,trackbar ,display).

I have native pm & speed step after dump all SSDT from win7 by everest

no _wak hack need for me - I have it with original DSDT.

only RTC modification.

In my dsdt I have this code

OperationRegion (RCRB, SystemMemory, SRCB, 0x4000)

Field (RCRB, DWordAcc, Lock, Preserve)

{

Offset (0x1000),

Offset (0x3000),

Offset (0x3404),

HPAS, 2,

, 5,

HPAE, 1,

Offset (0x3418),

, 1,

, 1,

SATD, 1,

SMBD, 1,

HDAD, 1,

Offset (0x341A),

RP1D, 1,

RP2D, 1,

RP3D, 1,

RP4D, 1,

RP5D, 1,

RP6D, 1,

RP7D, 1,

RP8D, 1,

TTDR, 1

}

I found that is not complete then I look at datasheet of Intel® 5 Series Chipset.

after add some bits from manual

OperationRegion (RCRB, SystemMemory, SRCB, 0x4000)

Field (RCRB, DWordAcc, Lock, Preserve)

{

Offset (0x1000),

Offset (0x3000),

Offset (0x3404),

HPAS, 2,

, 5,

HPAE, 1,

Offset (0x3418),

, 1,

, 1,

SATD, 1,

SMBD, 1,

HDAD, 1,

EH2D,1, //ehci2

LPCD,1,

EH1D,1, //ehci1

Offset (0x341A),

RP1D, 1,

RP2D, 1,

RP3D, 1,

RP4D, 1,

RP5D, 1,

RP6D, 1,

RP7D, 1,

RP8D, 1,

TTDR, 1

}

and add under sb scope

Scope (\_SB)

{

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Store (0x01, EH2D) //store 1 to disable ehci2

}

}

so I lost 1 external usb and webcam but got sleep. and not full wake :)

maybe there is a solution but its turkish and google translate dont help much.

Maybe someone can have a look at this:

Sleep Moda geçişte bilgisayar yanıt vermiyordu.Aşağıdaki komutlar terminalden girilerek problem giderildi.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=true

I already typed this into terminal but always error. Hope there are some turks here

For me it runs very stable, after replacing 2 kexts also in 64 bit. I don´t know about dual boot with linux though. I had iAtkos before installed so it was no problem to rebuild the retail dvd onto a usb stick and replace 2 files to set retail up on MBR to have dualboot with Win7. I don´t know if linux works on guid table.

matt971:

I would recommend installing with Nawcom's Mod CD and retail 10.6. Use the search to try and troubleshoot as much as you can by yourself.

violet7:

That's awesome, you'll have to help me out once you get the kinks out. With the SleepEnabler kext my machine looks like it wakes up right after going to sleep, but screen is still black. I was going to try and play with DSDT, but I think that's over my head.

matt971:

I would recommend installing with Nawcom's Mod CD and retail 10.6. Use the search to try and troubleshoot as much as you can by yourself.

violet7:

That's awesome, you'll have to help me out once you get the kinks out. With the SleepEnabler kext my machine looks like it wakes up right after going to sleep, but screen is still black. I was going to try and play with DSDT, but I think that's over my head.

Alright thanx i'll try it!!

Does Keyboard and trackpad also work?

yes it works. today I try to build custom chameleon to undestand what happen with GraphicsEnabler option.

in my case if I enable legacy usb in bios I got a freeze on wake up. I think all problems on samsung series it`s usb.

I post my dsdt bit later.

gfx restore on wake via cham.

if some one interested I make custom cham boot with nvidia modifications.

to use this disable legacy usb in bios and remove all video bios flags from boot.plist

use GraphicsEnabler=yes

backup your boot file and try my boot.zip

I need some more tests . tomorrow I try 2 understand that exactly happen with gfx

Thanks Violet7 I tried your boot file and just get black screen, also getting compile errors with your DSDT 2nd edit. So the black screen is in the goes straight to sleep and wakes back up way.

Thanks anyway for your work & I'll be keeping an eye here,sleep is the only thing not working. Spacebar is hanging off though!

On samsung r700, 8600m gt, t5750

Thanks Violet7 I tried your boot file and just get black screen, also getting compile errors with your DSDT 2nd edit. So the black screen is in the goes straight to sleep and wakes back up way.

Thanks anyway for your work & I'll be keeping an eye here,sleep is the only thing not working. Spacebar is hanging off though!

On samsung r700, 8600m gt, t5750

this boot modifed only for NVIDIA cards. as I see Y have ATY. it can`t help 4Y

That spec is for my desktop, the machine I tested on is the Samsung R700 with Nvidia 8600 as mentioned in the post!

And yes I also have two user accounts, can't remember the PW for the main one and it aint saved on this 3rd machine.