Quicktime is a disappointment

12 posts in this topic

So, I bought my first Mac computer a few weeks ago. Today I tried out quicktime and wanted to view a movie in full screen. Then it says full screen is only available in the pro version. When I saw this I was about to throw my Macbook Pro out the window! How could they charge be $29 just to see my movies in full screen? Those greedy bastards!

Well anyways, does anybody have any suggestions to an alternative for Quicktime so I don't have to waste $29 to see my movie in full screen?

I tend to use VLC or MPlayer or a software I have started using about 3 months ago is MediaCentral http://www.equinux.com/us/products/mediacentral/index.html by equinux. All they really require is a valid email and your name. It uses your remote so you don't have to be at your computer. It supports most formats. I have had a few problems with some encoded anime series but VLC will pick those up very well with some tweaking. There is a free version of MC and a pro version. However, I have not purchased it yet, I am thinking about it though since it is so nice. I hope this will help you out.

EDIT: So I just went to mediacentral and realized their new version isn't free. I guess that is what i get for trying to help ;P sorry about that.

Free

LittleView is amazing, with a drawer for bookmarking movies, and full screen fading controls somewhat like Quicktime.

littleviewzg5.jpg

NicePlayer, also has a playlist drawer, and simple full screen controls in a different style than Quicktime. it's borderless as well, so is kind of slick.

mainshotxm3.jpg

QTAmateur , has no full screen controls but can export everything that Quicktime can.

• 2 weeks later...
I get so sick of hearing this stupid comment. You aren't being charged $29 JUST to view fullscreen, that $29 also gets you full editing, import, and export support as well.

And the only feature that will be used by most people is fullscreen view. The fact that we spend so much money on a Mac just to get multimeda shareware is a crock. Just use serial box and enjoy quicktime full screen.

EDIT:

Metrogirl: I'm not sure we should be promoting serial box

Yes you are correct but after the amount of money we spend for a Mac to include a media player that can't even do full screen feals like a slap in the face to me! Will I do use a Hackintosh I allso own a G3 IMac,tray loader, a G4 IMac and a Intel IMac as well as 3 XP machines. And though out this hole time Microsoft has had a player that would do full screen and play almost every media file you could though at it, with the correct codex including quicktime and realmedia files.

I'm not sure we should be promoting serial box, but I do agree that it's an Apple foible to make you buy the pro version to get full screen, and you're paying for other features you might never use. It's one of those things that probably backfires for Apple in that people either pirate the software or use some other product to achieve what they feel could have been a standard feature. When I say backfire, I mean that a user who might never have been tempted to stray from the Apple camp or use a dodgy serial will do this out of irritation, and once they have one piece of illegal software on their machine, they might think "why stop here?" It's a slippery slope.

Yes,

a non-fullscreen player on a multimedia OS is a joke. Even microsoft is doing better

at this point. I can understand the missing editing-support but no fullscreen is no way.

Ok, in 'real life' this makes no big difference, because there are lots of other players

out there and there is even a legit haxie for QT-fullscreen support on non pro versions.