AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

So, i got it working and i am booting with the bootcd.

Now, after i updated to 10.5.6 , i get an error that some kext (USBEHCI) cannot be loaded, and my mouse is not working, my usb drives wont show and only the keyboard works.

What now?

Well, before the update everything works.

Now when i update to 10.6.5 and wheter using a backup of the IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage kext ( i tried 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 ones) i get no errors, but i can't move the mouse -.- only keyboard works and i can see all my USB drives. Can someone post his working IOUSBFamily kext?

Hi, I try to install SnowLeopard using this method for some days now. Sadly it doesn´t get to the installer, but keeps hanging before. The last screen output is "mbinit: done (64 MB memory set for mbuf pool)". In this thread in post #237 another guy had the exact same problem that I have now. It´s the same screen output like in his picture and always stops at the same point. If you need further information, here are my System specs:

• MB: Asus M4A78LT-M LE
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE
  • Asus HD 5770
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM (DDR3-1033)

*I already tried different combinations of HDD and Optical Drives (Both SATA, Both IDE, various mixes between SATA and IDE drives,...), and also tried playing around with different combinations of boot options, but it doesn´t change anything.

HELP!

I used this tutorial, everything works fin with 10.6.6 on my AMD System.

But I can't get my ATI HD5450 to work..

Any one with better luck and advice for me to how get this gfx card to work?

THANKS for helping me!

Could anybody here help me out with what BIOS options they have set to succesful install SL with Method 1? Best would be someone with a board that is similar with my one (Asus M4A78LT-M LE). Any info about what that line "mbinit: done (64 MB memory set for mbuf pool)" means and why it possibly stops there, would be very helpful.

Hi everyone,

I'm getting stuck exactly at "mbinit: done (64 MB memory set for mbuf pool)" just like Addy2k! Other times I get stuck at the USBF or the EHCI. It's completely random. And sometimes the old familiar waiting for root device error. For a limited time I was able to boot (like 10% of the time), but now no luck anymore. I'm assuming it has to do with the hard drives kexts or something.

I've tried reinstalling but I can't even get to the installer anymore. It gets stuck at the same places as I mentioned above, and sometimes after fakesmc.

My mainboard is Asrock 870 Extreme3, Cpu is X6 1055T. All CPU-specific BIOS options are off, and hard drives are on AHCI, DVD-rom on SATA. It's just weird I can't even get to the installer anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Especially from people with the same mobo.

Thanks

After a lot of troubleshooting I found the solution for my mbinit... problem. It was either my keyboard, or the 4 port USB 2.0 hub, the keyboard was attached to. When I read some boot logs from other people that I found in the web, I realized, that the next step after this mbinit... stuff contained some usb related messages, so I decided to give it a try, and it worked using another keyboard and attaching it directly to the PC while disconnecting the 4 port USB hub. Hope this will help you too JoSe7en.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

first Thanx to you Mohamed for your helpful topic it really help me a lot . keep it up

second i manage to get my pc to run snow iatkos v3 with every thing work except my audio it work but i get hiss with the sound but when i move my mouse in circle it work well and the hiss disappear . i tried lates voodoohda 2.7.2 but the problem is still excite my mother is m4a87td\usb3 the audio card is via v1818 i have 4gb ram and hd5670 vga card with amd x6 cpu .

thanx for all the site genies and member .

• 3 weeks later...

Guide works for me no problems, even updates to 10.6.7 from 10.6.3. I think a rewrite for this guide to reflect the changes will make it a lot more simpler. I've had to tackle many problems, to finally have my machine up and running.

I don't know what to do!!1

I have no problem installing and booting off the cd! But I cant get a successful boot from the HD!! Somebody Please Help!

Maybe you didnt installed the correct Kernel (legacy kernel)? Or you didnt installed Chameleon, or you installed the wrong Kexts, it could be pretty much everything.

Where is the problem? You have to be more specific in this case.

Maybe you didnt installed the correct Kernel (legacy kernel)? Or you didnt installed Chameleon, or you installed the wrong Kexts, it could be pretty much everything.

Where is the problem? You have to be more specific in this case.

Thanks for the quick reply! well my main problem is that I can't get a good boot from my HD! I cant even boot with the cd out of safe mode because of the ATI framebuffer problem. So I have two big problems at the same time. Do you know where I could find a reliable guide to insalling chameleon? I have tried many with no luck... I am not extremely experienced with OSX but I am not coming into this with no knowledge at all either.

Thanks for the quick reply! well my main problem is that I can't get a good boot from my HD! I cant even boot with the cd out of safe mode because of the ATI framebuffer problem. So I have two big problems at the same time. Do you know where I could find a reliable guide to insalling chameleon? I have tried many with no luck... I am not extremely experienced with OSX but I am not coming into this with no knowledge at all either.

Just download [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and choose DSDT and deselect anything, this should install Chameleon by default.

Hi, I did as you said was the easy way but I didn't get into a setup window.

I have 2 setip disc's for the mac OS might that be a problem?

This is where the setup ends.

post-764708-1301177116_thumb.jpg

Gijs

What do you mean by two set up disks? This sounds strange. If you can't get it to work like that, you restore the image on a usb. :D But you should have two disks anyway, one disk for bootCD and one for the installation files.

What do you mean by two set up disks? This sounds strange. If you can't get it to work like that, you restore the image on a usb. smile.gif But you should have two disks anyway, one disk for bootCD and one for the installation files.

My instalation for mac osX consists of 2 dvd's. I got them when I bought my macbook pro 2 years ago. I'm not sure how to restore it to an usb, tried using the above guide but I can't get it to work with Disk Utility + it are 2 cd's so I'm not sure how to chain them up or something.

Hello Mohamed,

Can we run SnowLeo from external HDD (USB)?

I've installed it with no problems to my external 160GB HDD but I'm not able to run it. I've tried with different kernels but no luck.

post-30079-1301218451_thumb.jpg

Asus M4A89GTD PRO USB3

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Asus GTX 460 1GB

Hey guys,

I followed this Guide but I also stuck at the setup window, it doesnt go ahead, I stuck there.

My System:

Mainboard: ASUS, M4A88TD-V EVO

Chipset: AMD, 880G

Sounthbridge: AMD, SB850

CPU: AMD, Athlon II X4 640 3.00 GHz

RAM: Kingston, 4x 2.048 MB, DDR3 1.333 MHz

HDD: Maxtor, 250 GB, SATA

Graphics: ATI, HD 4850, 512 MB, 750 MHz Core, 900 MHz Mem.

faily.jpg

Hello Mohamed,

Can we run SnowLeo from external HDD (USB)?

I've installed it with no problems to my external 160GB HDD but I'm not able to run it. I've tried with different kernels but no luck.

post-30079-1301218451_thumb.jpg

Asus M4A89GTD PRO USB3

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Asus GTX 460 1GB

This is a retail guide, not a distro guide. I'd suggest you follow this guide, because distros are unreliable through updates, and it's a lot more simpler to deal with problems. You've just installed Snow Leo on a drive, you've probably not installed a bootloader, or it hasn't installed correctly. I'm not going to help you with this but, the OS not even reaching charmeleon, means no bootloader. Your post is also very VERY vague. I'd ask for more information, but that's totally off-thread.

I got the snow leapard cd now (was using the wrong one) but its still not working.

My computer speccs are:

mb: crosshair IV formula

processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T

Ram: corsair XMS3 4x 2gb

Can't get it to work with OSX Snowleopard.

hehe, So you've restored it on to an hard drive? or burn't it on a CD? Have you got a spare USB Stick (8GB+) or external hard drive laying around, I'd like you to follow these instructions.

Required Files:

myHack 1.1.4: http://www.mediafire.com/?gk941po72op3ex9

Boot CD 1.5: http://www.mediafire.com/?a43a9rw422x20sp

Follow it exactly, one false move and it could ruin your installation drive, just make sure you don't replace the whole i386 folder, when you're replacing the cdboot file from the BOOTCD.iso/folder (extracted), you will delete the other required files!

> Download BootCD 1.5

> Restore your Snow Leopard CD (Retail) to USB Stick (8 GB+)/External Harddrive

> Once completed, run myHack 1.1.4 over the installation drive (USB Stick (8 GB+)/External Harddrive)

> Takes 5-10 minutes to complete - Once completed, move to next step

> Mount/Extract the ISO of BootCD

> Open up your installation drive (USB Stick (8 GB+)/External Harddrive) ROOT

> Open up Extra folder

> Delete all contents inside

> Open up BootCD ISO/Folder (extracted), and open Extra, copy all contents and paste into the

Installation Harddrive Extra (the one we deleted all the files)

> Open up usr/standalone/i386 (Don't delete anything) (Keep window open)

> Open up your BootCD ISO/Folder

> Open up usr/standalone/i386 (Keep window open)

> Drag the cdboot file from BOOTCD ISO/FOLDER TO installation drive usr/standalone/i386 (REPLACE file, if it pops up)

DONE! - Reboot from USB Flash drive/External Harddrive, and installation should run!

If it works, GRATZ! I need to give you another set of instructions to make it work for your installed OS, this is basically doing the same thing with BOOTCD 1.6, but with your installed OS drive. Don't do it though, follow the after setup tutorial on the first post of this thread, and if that doesn't work, then repost here! :unsure:, and I'll help.

Hey guys,

I followed this Guide but I also stuck at the setup window, it doesnt go ahead, I stuck there.

My System:

Mainboard: ASUS, M4A88TD-V EVO

Chipset: AMD, 880G

Sounthbridge: AMD, SB850

CPU: AMD, Athlon II X4 640 3.00 GHz

RAM: Kingston, 4x 2.048 MB, DDR3 1.333 MHz

HDD: Maxtor, 250 GB, SATA

Graphics: ATI, HD 4850, 512 MB, 750 MHz Core, 900 MHz Mem.

faily.jpg

Did you crop anything below that? Just under the IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors....

Did you crop anything below that? Just under the IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors....

No, there is nothing more left.

I tried it today again, let it wait for like 20 min. but nothing was added. :/

Got no solution.

Maybe my 2nd PCI-E slot occours a problem, I'll try it out.

No, there is nothing more left.

I tried it today again, let it wait for like 20 min. but nothing was added. :/

Got no solution.

Maybe my 2nd PCI-E slot occours a problem, I'll try it out.

wait did you use Asus core unlocker? Disable it.

> Open up BootCD ISO/Folder (extracted), and open Extra, copy all contents and paste into the

Installation Harddrive Extra (the one we deleted all the files)

> Open up usr/standalone/i386 (Don't delete anything) (Keep window open)

> Open up your BootCD ISO/Folder

> Open up usr/standalone/i386 (Keep window open)

> Drag the cdboot file from BOOTCD ISO/FOLDER TO installation drive usr/standalone/i386 (REPLACE file, if it pops up)

I can't open usr/standalone/i386 on my usb stick becouse the file is hidden, what should I do?

edit: downloaded Houdini 3 and it worked going to the next step now

edit2: can't boot from my USB stick becouse I can't enter my BIOS. It just doesn't recognize my keyboard until linux is loaded. Anything I can do?

I can't open usr/standalone/i386 on my usb stick becouse the file is hidden, what should I do?

edit: downloaded Houdini 3 and it worked going to the next step now

edit2: can't boot from my USB stick becouse I can't enter my BIOS. It just doesn't recognize my keyboard until linux is loaded. Anything I can do?

You need to use a PS/2 keyboard... I don't have linux, so this is all new to me.

Also, Show All Files: http://www.kexts.com/view/412-show_all_files.html is a great tool/light weight for enabling/disabling hidden files.