AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

As the latest kernel patch is for 10.6.7 I would not recommend 10.6.8 (especially as it isn't even on Apple's site). Make sure you are on the latest legacy kernel Darwin 10.7 (which is 10.6.7 ready) and hope it has the fix for your problem.

I understand what you are saying but would that fix the problem i have with finder?

I think i need terminal to locate files to install a kernel patch correct?

And also is there a way you know of to stop mac from prompting you to update?

I am somewhat of a beginner to hackintosh and still have trouble understanding how the kernels work. Could you give a link to somewhere that explains them well?

After installing the update 10.6.6, I began to follow After Setup guide (using the latest version AnVAL - 5.1.4 and instead of step "*then put mach_kernel file from folder aftersetup on mac partion", I installed this kernel "http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels/10.6.0/". So I did not create the folder "Extra", because it appeared after installing the kernel, as well as file "com.apple.Boot.plist.zip").

When i trying to start mac from HDD, load stop on it:

img0002qv.th.jpg

If I disable unnecessary HDD load stop on it:

img0006ez.th.jpg

After installing the update 10.6.6, I began to follow After Setup guide (using the latest version AnVAL - 5.1.4 and instead of step "*then put mach_kernel file from folder aftersetup on mac partion", I installed this kernel "http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels/10.6.0/". So I did not create the folder "Extra", because it appeared after installing the kernel, as well as file "com.apple.Boot.plist.zip").

When i trying to start mac from HDD, load stop on it:

img0002qv.th.jpg

If I disable unnecessary HDD load stop on it:

img0006ez.th.jpg

Don't use the installer, just use the legacy_kernel file and rename it to mach_kernel. To revert changes there should be a file on the root that makes it run the legacy_kernel file instead, so you'll have to delete that file as well, and delete Extras. (Make sure you delete the file associated to legacy_kernel, or you'll get errors, I'm not sure what it's called)

As the latest kernel patch is for 10.6.7 I would not recommend 10.6.8 (especially as it isn't even on Apple's site). Make sure you are on the latest legacy kernel Darwin 10.7 (which is 10.6.7 ready) and hope it has the fix for your problem.

The 10.6.8 is a mistype, as theres no such software version right now. Also, the kernel is optimised for 10.6.7, you can still use 10.6.3 kernel on my system for 10.6.7. (Branch: 10.6.5/6/7 are also quite similar, so any kernel version from that branch should have no problems, but again, optimised versions are the most stable).

I'm fully reinstall os, using new legacy_kernel and AnVal.

After boot from HDD i got black screen. ;)

Upd: System start after remove ATI5000Controller.kext and using flag GraphicsEnabler=No

How start 5770?

I'm fully reinstall os, using new legacy_kernel and AnVal.

After boot from HDD i got black screen. :D

Upd: System start after remove ATI5000Controller.kext and using flag GraphicsEnabler=No

How start 5770?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253767

Follow step 4, you shouldn't of removed ATI5000Controller.kext, and you should have GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I'm not sure what you should do now, because you've removed it.

It helped me to start 5770:

My 1002_68b8.rom + ATI5000Controller.kext + GraphicsEnabler=Yes + UseAtiROM=Yes + Boot7

One problem left - SOUND.

I have Via VT1818s and Creative Audigy SE. Any suggestion? :D

It helped me to start 5770:

My 1002_68b8.rom + ATI5000Controller.kext + GraphicsEnabler=Yes + UseAtiROM=Yes + Boot7

One problem left - SOUND.

I have Via VT1818s and Creative Audigy SE. Any suggestion? :whistle:

Sounds tricky, because my keyboard has a built in sound card, so I don't need to mess around with sound drivers. mmm.. Quick google search shows this guy: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showuser=465778 PM him and ask him how he got it working :D Goodluck!

I am starting to lose it with all of the problems I have been having. I am not gonna drop $800 on a more compatible system. With my hardware, i have numerous problems. My AMD is one thing but what makes it worse is my ATI graphics card that doesnt seem to want to work out of safe mode. Even with Kabyls boot file it still doesn't work. Is there anybody that would be nice enough to make me up a custom boot CD as I do not have the skills to do so. If nobody can that's okay. I just really want to get this working soon.

Thanks

I am starting to lose it with all of the problems I have been having. I am not gonna drop $800 on a more compatible system. With my hardware, i have numerous problems. My AMD is one thing but what makes it worse is my ATI graphics card that doesnt seem to want to work out of safe mode. Even with Kabyls boot file it still doesn't work. Is there anybody that would be nice enough to make me up a custom boot CD as I do not have the skills to do so. If nobody can that's okay. I just really want to get this working soon.

Thanks

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253767 Read step 3 and beyond.

If this does manage to work I will still have my problem of the ATI graphics card not working out of safe mode.

If you're getting a black screen on normal boot, whereas you can only boot up in safe mode, then follow the guide. You're doing it wrong, as you've not followed my guide correctly, as this fixes that problem.

If you're getting a black screen on normal boot, whereas you can only boot up in safe mode, then follow the guide. You're doing it wrong, as you've not followed my guide correctly, as this fixes that problem.

Okay well I wiped my previous attempt and I will try again in the next couple days. I will follow your guide from beginning to end and tell you how it turns out. Is it okay if I pm u with any questions?

Okay well I wiped my previous attempt and I will try again in the next couple days. I will follow your guide from beginning to end and tell you how it turns out. Is it okay if I pm u with any questions?

It's okay, you don't need to wipe. You just need to add your device-id to ATI5000 kext and make sure you're using the right Aticonfig=XXXX. Step 3 and 4 of my guide, ~I've linked you.

You can PM me for more help.

Please please can someone help me out with this before i go jump off a bridge.....

I am getting soooo close everytime and then this happens.

20110410161409.th.jpg

basically. i install using boot cd. i then install leopard from retail disk. Once i have installed i update to 10.5.6 from combo updater. i then run 10.5 legacy pck. i still do the the following setup using set 4 and do manual set up of bootloader.

1- to boot your installed mac use bootcd to boot this partion contain Mac

2-after it booted do your account and reach desktop

3-after reaching desktop setup 10.6.5 combo update and restart and boot also from bootcd

4-now we prepare to boot from HDD follow that

*setup latest bootloader from here

*or you can install bootloader manually

we will use AnVAL5.0.5 folder on aftersetup tools

follow this

- run terminal

-type Diskutil List

- you will find all of your partion see where is your mac partion you setuped on it and see what its name like disk0s2

- type sudo -s

-type cd then pull AnVAL5.0.5 folder to terminal then enter

-type fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskx as x is the numder of HDD if we use above example will be 0 so it will be fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

-type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskxsn x is number of HDD and n is numder of partion if we use above example it will be dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

-then copy boot file from AnVAL5.0.5 folder to mac partion root

*now there are two files on after setup folder named ( pfix , amd_insn_patcher )

copy them to usr/bin use show hidden files program to go to this directory

* now copy two kexts fakesmc , atiata to system/library/extensions

* open terminal and type this command

CODE

sudo -s

rm /mach_kernel

amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched

cp /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

update_dyld_shared_cache

this was for kernel

*then put mach_kernel file from folder aftersetup on mac partion

*put you other kexts on system/library/extensions

* open terminal again and type

CODE

pfix

*type password and then type number of mac partion then enter and wait till finish

*make new folder on mac partion and name it Extra and put on it this boot.plist

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip ( 750bytes ) Number of downloads: 955

I then reboot and my graphics are detected and it boots up as it should. Its when i try to install realtek R1000 Kext that i have problems. I end up with the kernel panic as above.

Can you anyone please point out what i am doign wrong or let me knwo if you need more information

thanks

I should point out that what i try and do after i have updated system and everything except the ethernet works . is to just install the R1000 kext using kexthelper... ONce its installed i reboot and then the above kernel panic happens . I put a copy of the kext into Extra/Extensions also thinking that would help but it does not apear to have done. thanks

According to: http://www.kexts.com/view/60-realtek_r1000...t.html?langid=5 it's not supported under 10.6. You need to use a revised kext called r1000SL

http://www.kexts.com/view/117-realtekr1000...!!.html

Goodluck! :( Boot into safe mode "-x" and remove the old one and install this one, and cross your fingers! :)

∫ devout

Cool thank you... I had started with the SL kext you mention above. but that was not working so tried any others i could find. Turns out though i had tried that many reinstalls that something had happened to my router and it was not giving the ethernet card an ip address. I double checked bios to make sure it was not switched off. BUt Turns out a quick reboot of the router fixed my problem. I should have guessed this as me etho was detected when installing the driver but it just did not get an ip address and stayed red. Strange thing was my other pc was still browsing the internet so i have no idea what caused this to happen... I could have saved myself some frustration but hey ho . it goes with the territory..

I am now very happy and doing this install so many times has provided me with good knowledge of proceedures. Managed to just install 10.6.3 using disk and then once everything was working with drivers etc (and then backed up!!!!) i updated to 10.6.6 combo update with newcom legacy pkg update and its working splendidly now...... Happy dayz indeed.

Thank you to Mohamed for making the guide.

Cool thank you... I had started with the SL kext you mention above. but that was not working so tried any others i could find. Turns out though i had tried that many reinstalls that something had happened to my router and it was not giving the ethernet card an ip address. I double checked bios to make sure it was not switched off. BUt Turns out a quick reboot of the router fixed my problem. I should have guessed this as me etho was detected when installing the driver but it just did not get an ip address and stayed red. Strange thing was my other pc was still browsing the internet so i have no idea what caused this to happen... I could have saved myself some frustration but hey ho . it goes with the territory..

I am now very happy and doing this install so many times has provided me with good knowledge of proceedures. Managed to just install 10.6.3 using disk and then once everything was working with drivers etc (and then backed up!!!!) i updated to 10.6.6 combo update with newcom legacy pkg update and its working splendidly now...... Happy dayz indeed.

Thank you to Mohamed for making the guide.

Yeah a router can sometimes lock up and not assign new computers an IP, it happens to my router sometimes, and then sometimes internet just locks up until I reset it very pen method... But It's very rare... :) Glad you've got a good idea of how to install the OS, this is why Retail is better than Distro, because if problems araise, you'll be more ready to fix it, since you're the one who's made it all come together :(!

• 2 weeks later...

After following the guide I was able to install OS leopard on my AMD Phenom 9750 with Asus M4A785G HTPC.

But at first boot with cd boot the PC is turned off. A few moments before I can read "CPU halted" can you help?

Thanks

So, I've been trying to install OSX for the entire weekend and just cannot get it to work... Here is my computer http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1787909

So, here are my issues. I first tried this with the SATA drives in IDE mode, Chameleon picks everything up, starts to boot the OSX DVD and sticks at waiting for root device. I have even tried IDE mode and put an IDE drive into the computer, same thing happens. So I put it in AHCI mode and Chameleon boots but when I switch to the OSX DVD nothing happens. I refresh and the Boot CD disappears, but OSX install never appears. I've tried another install guide, using a boot USB drive, but I can never get the USB drive to boot on my PC. I've tried 1.5 and 1.6 boot CD with the same problem. I've also tried different DVD drives, including USB.

I'm seriously at my wits end, any ideas where I should go from here?

So, I've been trying to install OSX for the entire weekend and just cannot get it to work... Here is my computer http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1787909

So, here are my issues. I first tried this with the SATA drives in IDE mode, Chameleon picks everything up, starts to boot the OSX DVD and sticks at waiting for root device. I have even tried IDE mode and put an IDE drive into the computer, same thing happens. So I put it in AHCI mode and Chameleon boots but when I switch to the OSX DVD nothing happens. I refresh and the Boot CD disappears, but OSX install never appears. I've tried another install guide, using a boot USB drive, but I can never get the USB drive to boot on my PC. I've tried 1.5 and 1.6 boot CD with the same problem. I've also tried different DVD drives, including USB.

I'm seriously at my wits end, any ideas where I should go from here?

you can try my site, I too am using a Phenom 9500 on an nForce MB. Using AHCI mode with no IDE drives and I always boot from USB stick only (for snow leopard anyway)

How To Install on AMD XFX nForce 750a

Yea, well the files (DSTD.aml and boot.Apple.com.plist) are configured for my motherboard. We need the ones for your setup to boot properly. Do you have those files?

No, lol. How would I get them? I'm new to the vanilla install. I've used a hacked version a few years ago but I didn't really set it up.

Yea, well the files (DSTD.aml and boot.Apple.com.plist) are configured for my motherboard. We need the ones for your setup to boot properly. Do you have those files?

So, I've been doing some experimentation... Using your guide and step 1 of this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253767 I've gotten to boot to the setup screen. Basically I'm using his step 1 and then restoring the OSX install CD to the thumbdrive and installing from there. But that's where my problem is now. I select my language and it just sticks at Preparing Installation. I've let it sit for hours and nothing ever happens. I've booted with -force64 and without it. Are there any others I should try? What does this mean if it's sticking at this point? Seems like if I made it this far, it should go all the way through... o_O

Anyways, should I just start a new thread at this point? Or just keep thread jacking? lmao

Thanks for the help so far.