Running .exe programs without WINDOWS installed!

16 posts in this topic

The clip/headline/tagline:

". ..Codeweavers has announced that CrossOver Mac will be arriving this year in late July or early August 2006. Pricing will be at $59.95 for single-user licenses, with volume and educational discounts available. CrossOver Mac will support a number of Windows applications to run natively within Mac OS X using Wine, enabling the user to run Windows applications without having a copy of Windows installed on their system......"

The link:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Now should this take off and get more product support, we could witness a revolution! (grin)

Your not running Windows...ok, so lets say a windows virus wants to delete a file hidden somewhere in the Windows folder on your computer (Doesnt exist in Mac OSX) You open the app and it will not harm your OSX at all. Now if you have XP installed from Boot Camp, it might, but i dont think the virus would even execute right.

A virus is most likely a windows .exe and it will run if it can. Of course it will halt if it don't find the file it wants to infect. And if it depends on some routine from the windows startup it will also halt. Basically some will run and can make damage and some will not.

And if the virus calls for a simple buffer overload? Wouldn't the buffer overload occur in OS X also?

It depends on where it happens. Obviously to run windows application you have to implement the user dll and some equivalent to kernel.dll and maybe part of the kernel.

Bad news is that from your post, it sounds possible.

Good news is I think I was actually almost a little bit right :)

Bliss -- if you go to the page for the program, you'll see a list of programs it will run right now -- the list isn't too fun at all, it's just for companies I'd say so far.

Bliss / Pantalaimon - Well i dont know about dx9 but in linux wine runs warcraft 3 perfectly (that is directx 8.1)... so i would assume that it some day it might run them...

Auggie - As far as i can tell in the linux port of wine the program can only overload wine / any windows programs running, not any linux program... so i would assume in osx your native programs will never crash due to windows programs / viruses going crazy.

About the viruses... the most the virus can do if it is made to target a non wine system is screwup your wine install. all the targets windows apps/viruses use will work... such as %windir will target your wine instal.

Secondly, All the dlls in a normaly windows install should be there and should act the same... this means a normal virus will take its affect on your wine system not your osx / linux install.

Now I dont see why not a windows virus programmed for wine could not harm your real system... but that would mean the virus would need to be programed under the win32 api and it then must also know what system wine is running under to affectively attack it... this seems inpractical and to small of a traget for any virus writer / script kiddie.