Anyone try the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board?

digitz

120 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

My first try with OSX86...

Got DUAL-SATA2 board, AMD64 3500, 1GB RAM, NVidia 6600GT...

I used the HotIso image with the correct AMD pkg's on an IDE HD connected via USB-IDE Adapter (USB2.0). Could nativly install OSX on an HFS partition (journaled gave me an error, so no journaling) but won't boot after. I need to set the partition "active" unter XP then I could boot without problems from USB. I updated to 10.4.7 flawless with MacOSXUpd10.4.7AMD.pkg.zip. xbench gives me rating about 95 - Disk & OpenGL Tests skipped because of missing ogl support and bad USB HD performance. Next steps would be to put the HD into the computer and throw it onto the first IDE Bus. Then some UDMA patchingin the kexts I guess.

System feels hell fast compared to my G4 867'er Ti PowerBook...

Problems:

- No onboard NIC

- No Sound with Audigy Player (Firewire seems to work?!)

- Only 1024*768 resolution

- macnvidia drivers 107 crashes the system (after removing the ION....kext like written in the manual)

Needed to connect HD to my Titanium to fix the macnvidia driver stuff back to org. state.

A second test install with vmware didn't work because of "b0 error" after install during reboot. I guess the same volume "active" problem..

Nity, Spacey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello

I have downloaded "Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack". What should I edit to install it to a SATA (not SATAII) disk from my DVD? What programs do I have to use to edit?

For now I think you need to do a VM install or install it to a spare pata drive. Get things working and then copy to your SATA drive. Blacknight was talking about maybe modifying the install disk but I haven't seen any more about it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=24047&hl=

There are a few other threads around too.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...22400&st=20

Don

Hello

I have downloaded "Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack". What should I edit to install it to a SATA (not SATAII) disk from my DVD? What programs do I have to use to edit?

This should help you to get it working. Enable Sata/SataII on ULi chipsets

As for adding it to the DVD, I'm waiting for the next release of Jas's to add AMD support.

I've been so busy lately, and will be for a while, and haven't had much time to recheck how I did it. If I knew how to make a patchfile, I would do that, but I don't.

As for installing now, I would agree that VMware is your best bet. I can tell you the general idea about how to add a kext to the DVD's Extensions.mkext, but I don't remember the commands right now. Basically you need to extract the Extensions.mkext to a folder, move the edited kext files you want added to it, remove or rename any that need to be, then run a kextcache command on that folder to output a new Extensions.mkext. I found the information on the forum, but I don't have time to look it up right now. Also, this only lets the DVD boot and install to a SATA drive, but you still need to copy the kexts to the /System/Library/Extensions after the installation is done. That is where the package I made comes in. In adding the package I made to the DVD, you have to edit a file in the OSInstall.mpkg or whatever to tell the installer that it is there. Even still, you need to remove/rename AppleGenericPCATA.kext in order for the PATA to work and I don't know how to remove a single kext from the installer.

I'll try to work on it when I have time and then post another tutorial. Also, if someone could please get my thread linked to above made into a sticky, I would greatly appreciate it as well as many other people.

Good luck,

Paul

I just redid it this morning. I have successfully made another disk that boots with SATA drivers and also made a new package that installs them during OS install. I am now at work, so I will try to upload my files when I get home.

My Extensions.mkext includes drivers for ALC882 sound (though I don't think it matters during setup), Silicon Image 3132 SATA, ULi chipsets with SATA DeviceIDs of 5288, 5289, and 5287 as well as PATA with DeviceID of 5229. I also included the latest USB driver and also the Generic USB 2.0 driver found in the driver section of the forum.

As for the installer package. I have created a new package called Asus.A8R32.MVP.pkg that you will need to copy into /System/Installation/Packages/ as well as modified the OSInstall.dist found in /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg/

In the package, I have included the same drivers listed above, though there is one extra step that I found you must do to use ULi Pata. You must delete/rename the AppleGenericPCATA.kext found in /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ and then delete the extensions.mkext/extensions.kextcache files and reboot. This is due to a conflict between the two ATA drivers trying to bind to the same device. If you do not do this, you will get an IOATA Blocking Bus error or something to that effect. Please let me know if you find a way around this.

So, even though the package is called Asus.A8R32.MVP, it includes drivers for just about all of the Crossfire 3200 chipsets as well as a few more chipsets such as the Crossfire 1600 and a few others. Basically if you have a ULi chipset, you should use this.

Like I said, I'll get those files available when I get home in a few hours.

Paul

I will be providing my Extensions.mkext, but if you would like to make your own, it is quite simple if you already have a Mac install.

run these commands in terminal as super user:

sudo su (enter your password after this line)

mkdir /DVD_Extensions

mkextunpack -d /DVD_Extensions /Volumes/Jas\ OS\ 10.4.7/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

(Your DVD name may be different so replace the "Jas\ OS\ 10.4.7" part with whatever yours is called, noting that the \ after a word is needed in order to put a space in. This will extract all of the extensions in the mkext file into /DVD_Extensions.)

All of the extensions in this folder are flattened meaning that anything that would be in a plugins folder within a kext is now located right next to the kext that would normally contain it. This means that the AppleGenericPCATA.kext that is normally in IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ is now located in the /DVD_Extensions along with IOATAFamily.kext. This means that if you're adding a new kext that contains plugins, you will need to place each kext into the /DVD_Extensions folder. This shouldn't matter if you're using kexts without plugins.

After you add the kexts you want in the bootup Extension.mkext, run these commands:

chown -R root:wheel /DVD_Extensions

chmod -R 755 /DVD_Extensions

now you'll be able to run the kextcache.

kextcache -m /Extensions.mkext /DVD_Extensions

this will now create a new Extensions.mkext on your root / folder which you can then use transmac or whatever to replace the old one.

If you're in Mac, you can mount the image as readwrite by doing this:

hdiutil attach /"Your Image Name Here" -readwrite

This will let you copy the files directly to the image.

If you don't want to deal with any of this, just wait until I can get my files to you and you can just copy them in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone get kernel 8.8.1 running on this board? I've spend hours and many reinstalls...

8.4.1, no problem. 8.8.1, it cant seem to recognize cards in the PCI slots. I'm trying to run my trusty intel NIC. It works fine in 8.4.1, but if I upgrade to 8.8.1, it dosent show up in system profilier.

I checked the IONetworking kext and the card ID is in there, so I think the problem is 8.8.1's interface with the PCI bus on this goofy ULi chipset (M1695/M1567).

Anyone get kernel 8.8.1 running on this board? I've spend hours and many reinstalls...

8.4.1, no problem. 8.8.1, it cant seem to recognize cards in the PCI slots. I'm trying to run my trusty intel NIC. It works fine in 8.4.1, but if I upgrade to 8.8.1, it dosent show up in system profilier.

I checked the IONetworking kext and the card ID is in there, so I think the problem is 8.8.1's interface with the PCI bus on this goofy ULi chipset (M1695/M1567).

I think it was working with the 8.8.1 kernel when i did the upgrade method before loading tubgirl image. I have since loaded newest jas and neither sees my old 3com card.

Don

Hi!

I am not sure, but I used the search engine and couldn't find anything.

Is there anybody who has managed to get the sound working on this mobo?

I am using the JaS 10.4.8 already patched.

I will be satisfied with stereo!!! :( Tried this : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642

but I am stuck here:

In Terminal, type:

CODEsudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch (press Ctrl + W)

Find:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> -- to -- <string>0x27d88086</string>

(note: for ALC882, the string is probably correct without any edit)

Exit pico: press Ctrl + O to save and then Ctrl + X to exit

Can't find these strings under Winxp. There is nothing what looks like this under system device for this board.

Thanks for your help

URBANsUNITED

Is it possible to install JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Int el.SSe2.SSe3. patched with v1p ppf natively on a sata disk? (maybe with modifications to the iso?)

is sata working at all with the 8.8.1 kernel?

thanx raz

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Help! I got stuck editing the kext files getting SATA2 on my Asrock 939 to work. Can somebody please send me the right kext files I need and tell me how to get them in the right place? I think I messed mine up :)

Sorry for being such a n00b.

PS. Is there a solution for the onboard sound yet?