ASUS G72GX Notebook - Perfect Hackintosh!

artkrime

141 posts in this topic

@logic54

no I didn't install the updates through the disc. I used bootloader chameleon efi 10.5 along with the other kext files. As for making sure you have all working kext it's difficult to say unless you test all your hardware devices. You can always check in system/extensions folder to see your kext files you currently have. But like I said try the hazard distro again with those recommendations. And make sure you delete kext file sleep and disabler and use kext utility to fix permissions. Good luck

Ok Im the muther efffing man. I actually restored windows seven and i remember i had a hard time installing network drivers on this laptop and remember people saying it took them an hour to install network. All you need is that asus driver dvd but after you install it reboot laptop and go into config network it takes sum tugging. I then put in the hazard dvd and rebooted onto it. Typed f8 then cpus=1 and continued to instalation i then went into formtat the drive in disk utilities to mac journalized then i installed osx with yur config. after the install it said install failed. i then didnt worry i installed the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] dvd i made from tonys site and got it too boot into mac. i set it up and wala everythingg was working even the network which i had trouble with. internet video and audio fully working. it says to update then run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which im gonna do cross my fingers so it boots up but im on mac osx now typing this will be back to conclude.

Logic

I just cant get osx too boot up now tho i always have to use that tony dvd [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for bootup even after running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] any ideas?

I just cant get osx too boot up now tho i always have to use that tony dvd [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for bootup even after running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] any ideas?

I know you probably won't want to do everything again, but I suggest to do a simple installation using Empire EFI and a Snow Leopard retail CD.

That's what I did and I haven't had any problems. I'm dual booting with Windows 7 in the same HDD, so I think it should be even easier for you as you don't have to make all that guid-mbr-ntfs-fat32-blablabla stuff... ha

just 1 HDD for each OS and that's it :)

@logic54

I agree with Capo_saric about retrying I know it's not the answer you want to hear but that's how osx86 project is alot of trial and error. And it should be pretty simple to dual-boot especially separate hdds. I'm using the stock 500gb hdd for windows 7 ultimate and a 60gb ocz ssd for snow leopard. Good luck! :)

capo yur cute :hysterical: but im not faggy. i just got empire efi from the bay and burned it too a dvd. so u say just boot with empire then install hazard distro on any partition and it should work? ok thanks same settings i guess for install minus the chameleon efi if im correct?? im gonna try that. yeah if u have this lappy i wanna split the 500 gigger and have 200 gig for win 7 and 200 gig for mac osx. hit me up then.

logic

Ok i tried the empire efi and I had an error so im just gonna try to install the osx on the other drive and boot up with that empire dvd i just burned and switch between the two osx and win 7. CAn I do that?

Logi

BTW im gonna be online all day today cuz they want it too be like a hundred degrees so im gonna try to get this working and will be checking on here for yur posts all day so hit me up.

capo yur cute :D but im not faggy. i just got empire efi from the bay and burned it too a dvd. so u say just boot with empire then install hazard distro on any partition and it should work? ok thanks same settings i guess for install minus the chameleon efi if im correct?? im gonna try that. yeah if u have this lappy i wanna split the 500 gigger and have 200 gig for win 7 and 200 gig for mac osx. hit me up then.

logic

hi again!... look, as I told before, I used a Snow Leopard retail CD, so I really don't know about that "hazard distro" you all talk about (sorry ;) )

I downloaded a Mac OSX 10.6 retail from a website (can't remember where exactly)

What I did is this:

1) Inserted Empire EFI to boot from the Snow Leopard CD

2) Before installation, I formatted my HDD to GUID partition table.

3) I did 3 partitions: 1 HFS Journaled case INsensitive, and 2 FAT32 (size is on you)

4) Rebooted without installing.

5) Booted from Windows7 Pro CD. (here I formatted 1 of the FAT32 partitions to NTFS and installed windows7 there)...reboot

6) Booted Empire EFI ---> Snow Leopard CD and installed Mac OSX 10.6 on HFS partition

7) After install, booted into Mac OSX using Empire EFI (only for the first boot) to install myHack bootloader (its inside Empire EFI CD)

8) Installing bootloader screwed the Windows7 boot, so I...

9) Booted Windows7 CD again.

10) Select "Repair my computer" or something like that

11) Open Command Prompt and type:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

12) Reboot again.

Now you should be able to boot into Mac OSX or Windows 7 without needing a CD...

The rest is kexts, kexts and more kexts :hysterical: ... have luck with that

Sorry if this is not the answer you were waiting for but that's what I did and worked great =), considering we're on the same laptop it should also work for you...

Oh and that remaining FAT32 partition I did is for storage purposes only. I like to keep a backup :)

aand one last thing, I later splitted the Mac OSX partition to give room for a TimeMachine backup, so if you're planning to use TimeMachine you should better consider it before partitioning the HDD, the only partitions that can be resized are the HFS ones...

I think that's it, I'll edit later if I remember some other config or step...

grrr this is really making me mad. I just got this laptop 4 days ago and the past 3 days ive been trying to install mac osx and windows 7 on it for dual boot. It seems I gotta do alot of hard stuff not that I wont be able too do it but that it might take me a week of fiddling. Im thinking of maybe just keeping windows 7 until i get another hard drive for the laptop then i can dual boot in the bios that way correct? Any ideas I might get a small one at newegg if u have any advise on wat type of hard drive would work on mac lemme kno. Thanks for yur help.

Logic

Ok Ok I had the wrong dvd disk in. Basicly I have win 7 installed and osx installed but i need too boot from that empire efi disk. Any program i can run in mac or windows that will let me choose wat operating system upon boot? that wont effect me in any way. If there is a program or utility I will try it unless it messes with my win 7 or osx. I dont wanna boot by dvd but if I have too I guess I will.

Logic

7) After install, booted into Mac OSX using Empire EFI (only for the first boot) to install myHack bootloader (its inside Empire EFI CD)

8) Installing bootloader screwed the Windows7 boot, so I...

9) Booted Windows7 CD again.

10) Select "Repair my computer" or something like that

11) Open Command Prompt and type:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

12) Reboot again.

Now you should be able to boot into Mac OSX or Windows 7 without needing a CD...

The rest is kexts, kexts and more kexts :( ... have luck with that

try that i've told before, it should work -_-

if there's any problem just let me know and we'll figure it out...

Well i gave up I mean I could probebly do it over time but it isnt worth it for my time ect. I guess there is sum ways windows is good I especially like windows 7 no errors everything updates and just works including almost any games. I wish mac was easier to install cheaper and supported more. Imean it has its pluses for audio and video but I can do more on windows and just easierr like voice chat certain programs gmes and just plug n go. I know im probebly upsetting mac fans but here is thee truth> windows and mac both have differances hell i have an ati video card on my main tower and nvidia here on my laptop. I do like nvidia better but for my price i got a good deal on an ati card. This place is great for the osx and mac community. keep up the good work aS MORE PEOPLE SUPPORT OSX AND MAC IT MIGHT BE AS POPULAR ANSD USER FRIENDLY AS WINDOWS SUM DAY. THANKS FOR ALL REPLYS AND IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP PM ME. I WILL BE AROUND IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS I KNOW WHERE TO GO TOO.

PEACE OUT LOGIC

Ok I bought a new laptop hard drive i didnt see a harddrive holder for this laptop so I just popped it in with sum eletric tape for now. Is there a placewhere i canget a hard drive holder for it? I installed osx on the drive I just bought so I can run win 7 on one hardd drive and mac osx on the other. The only thing is after I install the hazard osx i choose the efi charmeleon 10.3 i get this error. Post flight script error on efi charmeleon. Sumthing liek that so I popped in either the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd or the empire efi cd (I have both now) too boot up. I can boot up after the osx install and install osx. however every boot i need the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or empire efi dvd in the drive too boot into mac. Alright if anyone got any ideas hit me up now then.

Thanks Logic

Ok I bought a new laptop hard drive i didnt see a harddrive holder for this laptop so I just popped it in with sum eletric tape for now. Is there a placewhere i canget a hard drive holder for it? I installed osx on the drive I just bought so I can run win 7 on one hardd drive and mac osx on the other. The only thing is after I install the hazard osx i choose the efi charmeleon 10.3 i get this error. Post flight script error on efi charmeleon. Sumthing liek that so I popped in either the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd or the empire efi cd (I have both now) too boot up. I can boot up after the osx install and install osx. however every boot i need the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or empire efi dvd in the drive too boot into mac. Alright if anyone got any ideas hit me up now then.

Thanks Logic

hey there!

here's the link where you should find it, but it's been out of stock for a while

http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=4316

I also found it here (don't know if its also out of stock)

http://www.asusparts.eu/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=19904

You could also try googling the item# which is 13GNFU1AM030-1

How's the tape solution working however? I may try doing that as I'm in Mexico and shipping is way too expensive...

@Logic54

if you can't get the retail disc to install properly here is a basic guide to install using distro by hazard. if have the second hdd it should be easy. if you need help partitioning your hdd just ask or you can google its pretty simple. and to dual its best to have the osx hdd as your primary that way you can take full advantage of the bootloader that way you can select which operating system to boot.

step 1: insert disc and on the boot up screen of asus (sound is made) hit the "esc" button so it takes you to the boot options and choose the "disc/dvddrive"

step 2: when the distro boots up it will give you the option to hit f8. hit it and on the command line type "cpus=1" and it should boot up to the installation windows

step 3: on the first screen where you see options on top such as finder, utilities, etc click on "utilities" and on the drop down menu select "disk utilities"

step 4: when the menu window opens click on "erase" and select your partition on the left hand side. then on the bottom right side select "mac osx journaled" and click "erase" it will ask you to confirm so do so. then exit "disk utilities"

step 5: follow the agreement page and select your partition and when you get to the window with a "customize" button on the bottom left click it. this is the most important part so select only the right kext files here. this was my setup which seems to work almost flawlessly:

-atheosfix

-elliottforcelegacy

-achisatafix

-smbiosresolver

-uuid

-efi 10.5 bootloader

-nvinject

-macam

step 6:once your done selecting your custom kext filesgrey_loader.gif select done and just follow the prompts until it installs. if you did everything correctly it will have a giant green check mark upon successful installation

step 7:again depending if this is going to be your primary os or not go to your bios screen on boot up(f2) and select this partition to be your primary boot. that way you can take full advantage of the chameleon bootloader. and now your hackinstosh is all set.

if you have any questions or need further assistance just pm and i'll help in anyway possible. and i would'nt mind some positive points.

Ok Jokawild im gonna answer you first. I did everything you stated and i dont get a green checkmark. i boot with cpus=1 go into the installer i know all that formated too guid mac osx journalized and all those options in customize before starting the installation. Sumthing must be terribly wrong if im doing the exact same thing as you are. I install the charmeleon 1.5 efi in the customize section and not the other 1.3. I have mac working tho im on it now i just need the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] dvd in and choose between this or windows. sumhow it seems that efi charmeleon 1.5 thing isnt installing correctly huh??

Too the other guy in mexico the electric tape thing is working better than i thought. The hard drive I got was a 7200 rpm hd and 250 gig for like 50 bucks with the shipping not a bad deal. The hard drive is light so the eleetric tape can stay on and im not moving my laptop around like crazy im gonna change the tape maybe once a month. I think thats better than paying 18 sumthing plus shipping 20-30 dollars just for now I can do my lil macguyver electric tape thingy fine. i think i have all kext for this thing can i just load every kext into kext utilitiy and load it that way? everything seems too be working fine ALTHO I GOTTA BOOT WITH THE DVD EVERY BOOTUP. ok everyone have a good weekend i hope sum can help me and i can heelp others. im loving this laptop tho it can do just about everything. the only thing i dont care for are the soft keys on the keyboard sumtuimes you can accidenitally push letters in by accident like i just did lol. im loving the keyboard lights. i mean $750 for a used asus laptop with osx and keyboard lights come on no brainer there!!

Logic

@Logic54

if you can't get the retail disc to install properly here is a basic guide to install using distro by hazard. if have the second hdd it should be easy. if you need help partitioning your hdd just ask or you can google its pretty simple. and to dual its best to have the osx hdd as your primary that way you can take full advantage of the bootloader that way you can select which operating system to boot.

step 1: insert disc and on the boot up screen of asus (sound is made) hit the "esc" button so it takes you to the boot options and choose the "disc/dvddrive"

step 2: when the distro boots up it will give you the option to hit f8. hit it and on the command line type "cpus=1" and it should boot up to the installation windows

step 3: on the first screen where you see options on top such as finder, utilities, etc click on "utilities" and on the drop down menu select "disk utilities"

step 4: when the menu window opens click on "erase" and select your partition on the left hand side. then on the bottom right side select "mac osx journaled" and click "erase" it will ask you to confirm so do so. then exit "disk utilities"

step 5: follow the agreement page and select your partition and when you get to the window with a "customize" button on the bottom left click it. this is the most important part so select only the right kext files here. this was my setup which seems to work almost flawlessly:

-atheosfix

-elliottforcelegacy

-achisatafix

-smbiosresolver

-uuid

-efi 10.5 bootloader

-nvinject

-macam

step 6:once your done selecting your custom kext filesgrey_loader.gif select done and just follow the prompts until it installs. if you did everything correctly it will have a giant green check mark upon successful installation

step 7:again depending if this is going to be your primary os or not go to your bios screen on boot up(f2) and select this partition to be your primary boot. that way you can take full advantage of the chameleon bootloader. and now your hackinstosh is all set.

if you have any questions or need further assistance just pm and i'll help in anyway possible. and i would'nt mind some positive points.

Can you confirm that you are getting FULL graphics support and its not just running generic nvidia . I can get EVERYTHING working and it is the correct res , but when you go to About this mac , the card does not show up as a 260m its generic nvidia

and games will not launch so QE is not fully enabled

Please people when you say the graphics are working are you sure they are 100 percent ?

I will need to check that for you when Im on it. Im at work now so I cant access it. However just to let sum of you guys know I have an ebay listing for all my computer products Im selling motherboards video cards ect. here is the link. http://shop.ebay.com/djmikebumps/m.html?_n...p;_trksid=p3686 . I am currently selling a dfi blood iron motherboard that works wonderfull on osx tomorow for $70 bucks. So have a look or tell a friend thanks guys.

Logic

Grrr my hard drive keeps falling out of this thing. The electric tape holds the hard drive for like a week but the heat makes it fall off. Since I cant find the hard drive cover anywhere is there any other options guys so I dont hurt my laptop or drive? It shakes around in their any ideas?

Logic

Grrr my hard drive keeps falling out of this thing. The electric tape holds the hard drive for like a week but the heat makes it fall off. Since I cant find the hard drive cover anywhere is there any other options guys so I dont hurt my laptop or drive? It shakes around in their any ideas?

Logic

Checked this right in time... I was just about to use your method but I think now I'll wait for the caddy

I was going to tell you to keep checking the sites I gave you but I just did and guess what? It's finally on stock :(

http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemi...6&catid=735

You'd better order yours right now... there are plenty of people that desesperately want this thing...

Please everyone! I need your help!

Last week I had some trouble... my brother took my laptop and I have no idea what he did but my hard drive was completely erased =/

I took this as a chance to try something new and now I'm triple-booting Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard

Everything was working great until I reached the kexts-installation part...

I had a backup of all my kexts... in the same drive ¬¬ ... so now I'm having a very bad time trying to find them again, and I'm getting the "Still waiting for root device" message when I try to boot on Snow Leopard

PLEASE if any of you could upload your kexts to some file-sharing server I would really appreciate it... you all guys know how hard it is to get past this stage

I tried the KEXT folder that was previously uploaded in this same topic but that's the one that caused the error message...

please if you could help me as soon as posible it would be very nice... :)

All right guys been out of the scene for awhile. Had to do a move to new home and ya know how that goes sometimes. Eats up all availible time. Does anyone have any questions currently I've still got full support with my rig even with the last few updates. Did change out my wireless card for a ar5008 that I bought off ebay. Works great no kext hacking at all works native and works in my 10.5.8 distro as well. Lets see is there anything else to update everyone with. Oh guy that asked about full graphics support if you a widget and you get ripples then you have full graphics support. Um well anyway will be going through the posts for the next few days and try to answer most of your questions if I miss someone please feel free to pm me. I will get back to ya may take a day but I usally pretty good about answering ya to the best of my knowledge which at times is very limited.

If any one wants to know my complex method of making 10.5.8 to boot then shot me a message and I will go through it with ya.

Later guys

Howdy

Solution for Hard Drive caddy that will only cost you about 10$ on ebay.

I had a Toshiba U205 before this and was able to use the HDD cage from that for the second drive.

It fits tightly but with a small piece of black packing foam it fits well enough and the drive is very secure.

So just look for a HDD caddy for a Toshiba U205-5067 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-U205...#ht_2300wt_1041

ALSO what method have you all used for the GTX 260m to get it working with full accelleration?

I have tried NVinject method, EfI strings, etc but when I try to use VLC Player there is a black screen, Video shows up in Quicktime with Perian but is choppy and Preview wont show pictures, also there is no QE/CI because of no ripple effect.

Any ideas? I am running 10.6.4 on on the Best Buy version of the G72gx.

Cheers

Astrid ;)

Howdy

Solution for Hard Drive caddy that will only cost you about 10$ on ebay.

I had a Toshiba U205 before this and was able to use the HDD cage from that for the second drive.

It fits tightly but with a small piece of black packing foam it fits well enough and the drive is very secure.

So just look for a HDD caddy for a Toshiba U205-5067 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-U205...#ht_2300wt_1041

ALSO what method have you all used for the GTX 260m to get it working with full accelleration?

I have tried NVinject method, EfI strings, etc but when I try to use VLC Player there is a black screen, Video shows up in Quicktime with Perian but is choppy and Preview wont show pictures, also there is no QE/CI because of no ripple effect.

Any ideas? I am running 10.6.4 on on the Best Buy version of the G72gx.

Cheers

Astrid :)

I was able to get Full Graphics working by using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Chameleon Bootloader the latest source (just compile and replace boot in / ) THERE IS NO need for any other enablers REMOVE them!! I've even been able to get full SPeedstep and sleep working with the latest compiled Chameleon ! Nothing else NO kexts or DIsabler kexts for powermanagement or sleep

Down to using Voodoo battery kext / Applelegacyrtc / VoodooHDA (latest expermental delete applehda) in latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] / smbios / and i think thats it ,

This was done on a 100 percent "pure install" [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] SUpported + RETAIL snow leopard + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] NO DSDT , I did not ever have to use ANY boot flags ,

100Percent working with ALL updates and Full graphics 20fps in Cinibench

So A UPDATED pure guide simply

Boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported from tonymac86

Install Snow Leopard from retail disk

Boot your install with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Run the Update downloaded from apple 10.6.4(do not run system update) to get Latest updated SNow Lepard 10.6.4 DO NOT restart

Install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Compile and install LATEST from source Chameleon (very easy find a guide use and install Xcode from snow leopard retail disk

Reboot

Then its down to removeing kexts and enableing some options in the plist to get sleep and speedstep working use Voodoo Monitor to test

If I am going to install Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on the same disk, which should I install first?

Which steps should I follow?

Can I create an HFS+ partition on an MBR disk (by GParted Live for example) and install Snow Leopard onto that partition without losing the data in other partitions?

If I have 2 disks, and the OS's are on

Disk1PartitionA

Disk1PartitionB

Disk2PartitionA

Disk2PartitionB

Can I arrange the computer to give me these 4 options to boot, or do I have to change the boot disk/device from BIOS to boot from Disk1 or Disk 2 and the boot will give me the option from to boot from A or B (both disks are internal)?

P.S.: Anyone with a Hazard in Los Angeles can help me a lot because I can just use the library connection and it will take weeks for me to get it.